+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship Visa- Japanese Family Register

O-in-Kyoto

Oct 28, 2009
Hello,
This is my first time posting on the forum. So far it has helped me quite a bit and for that I'd like to says thank you.
There is of course one question that I'd like to ask. It is specifically for those who have knowledge about Japan- Canada Immigration. I am sponsoring my Japanese wife. We did our marriage paperwork in Japan so we are officially married in Japan. We are aware that we need to provide translated documentation of our marriage. However, we believe we also must submit the Japanese Family Register.

(7. IDENTITY AND CIVIL STATUS DOCUMENTS
A marriage certificate, birth certificate, Family Register or certified official copy and a translation of
your unaltered "Koseki Tohon" and "Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon" (all names in the register, even
the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc) including
details of your birth, marriage and divorce (if any) must be submitted. All names of your family
members, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence,
etc., must be included. The translation should be in English or French and done by a certified
translator.)

Question
1. The Family Register translation must be done by a certified translator. However, my wife has read somewhere that this must be notarized. According to her source (in Japanese), the translator had to bring the translated document to the Embassy in Tokyo to be notarized. Could this true? What is the proper procedure for dealing with Family Register documentation?

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am currently going through the EXACT same ordeal while in Fukuoka. This is what I have done. I have had the documents translated and stamped, along with a signed oath, written by me, and signed by the translator. The Embassy actually sent me a draft of how the oath is to be worded, which I could send to you, if you really needed, although it should be in the Japan specific details on the CIC site. I think if the translation isn't upto par, then the Embassy can request the translator to be present at the embassy. I hate these grey zones throughout the process, but I have heard the same answer from several people about the translation. I imagine we are about the same way along, so post here again and let me know how it goes.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you try getting in touch with the poster kumakuma on this board. I think he also sponsored his wife through Japan and has already submitted his application.

O-in-Kyoto

Oct 28, 2009
KL8N said:
I am currently going through the EXACT same ordeal while in Fukuoka. This is what I have done. I have had the documents translated and stamped, along with a signed oath, written by me, and signed by the translator. The Embassy actually sent me a draft of how the oath is to be worded, which I could send to you, if you really needed, although it should be in the Japan specific details on the CIC site. I think if the translation isn't upto par, then the Embassy can request the translator to be present at the embassy. I hate these grey zones throughout the process, but I have heard the same answer from several people about the translation. I imagine we are about the same way along, so post here again and let me know how it goes.
Thanks for the reply, eh.
Yeah, its become a task for sure. Its nice to know that others are slogging through it now too. Maybe the so called Kumakuma might be able to advise us

1. "I have had the documents translated and stamped, along with a signed oath, written by me, and signed by the translator" - Does this mean a registered translator? Is it not ridiculously expensive to do this?

2. "The Embassy actually sent me a draft of how the oath is to be worded, which I could send to you, if you really needed, although it should be in the Japan specific details on the CIC site." - What oath are you refering to? I have read the Japan specifics and i didn't notice this. If you have anything that might help, I'd buy you a beer. Somehow.

3. You deal with the Embassy in Tokyo, right? Which number do you have? Everytime I try to contact them by email/phone they say they don't do Spouse Visas and that I should contact CIC directly (without providing an email address/ phone number). I can only assume that they mean call CIC directly in Canada. There seems to be absolutely no one in the Embassy willing to talk about Spouse sponsorship visas.

4. Any idea on the Option C issue? I have a letter from my employeer (Board of Education) but I don't think I kept all of my paystubs for the last year. What are you doing? Do I have to get each months paystub translated individually (12 seperate documents)?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. My wife is working really hard on her application papers as well, so I feel like I had better get to work on my end. I can't believe how expensive this is going to get... 頑張るぞ

KL8N

Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, and No. I happen to know a translator who is doing this sort of Pro Bono, but if your Japanese (or your wife's English) is good, then do as much as you can on your own. The cost of a proof-read is substantially less then doing the whole thing. But you might have to fork over cash, especially if you are in a hurry.

2. It is an oath for the translator, swearing they are fluent in both languages, and that it is a legitimate translation. I will see if I can find the link for you..

3. Yes, the Tokyo Embassy is not permitted to discuss VISA stuff on the phone but if you call their answering machine, there is a email address and they will answer you in ten days of writing a mail. My advice for this is save up all your questions, (or as many as you can) and ask them all in one go, to save time on waiting for answers.

4. a) Option C printout can be issued for free from Revenue Canada, (which you can call collect!!) and was sent to me in ten days from Ottawa. It seemed like it would be harder than it was. Just find the link on the CIC site.

b) I also hadn't kept my pay stubs, so I asked the company I work for, for a record of my pay for the previous year, (all on one paper) and had it translated as well. Some companies give you a hard time for it, but you have the legal right in Japan to request that document.(Total documents translated was: 2 Family Registers, Marriage Cert, Record of Pay)

Don't worry, ask away. You should keep involved with your wife's app too, cause any misunderstanding could lead to delays. I guess the visa should cost about 1300 bucks altogether. I got really stressed out doing it, but I am FINALLY sending it to Mississauga tomorrow.