CarrieK

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Damn it
i have the same situation as you.
can you explain what you did after ?

Thanks,
Ahmad
What country are you from Ahmad. I married a Tunisian man, had two dresses one of them was white. But it didn’t appear to matter there as his cousin wore peach. We did have to produce our marriage certificate at the hotel on our honeymoon. Different Muslim countries must handle religious events and ceremonies differently?! Idk
It makes me sad for you guys and a little worried about our application. God willing it will all work out.

CarrieK

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
she did not write her name on any of our refusal
she did not write her name on any of our refusal letters
you should request the notes on the file. In fact any of you waiting for interview should request notes as the agent will mark any concerns they have. Then you can be prepared with evidence to satisfy them.
Here is info on getting the notes
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/gcms-notes-well-explained-has-never-before-until-now.390292/

Reactions: zardoz

Asamir

Aug 10, 2015
Visa Office......
Cairo
What country are you from Ahmad. I married a Tunisian man, had two dresses one of them was white. But it didn’t appear to matter there as his cousin wore peach. We did have to produce our marriage certificate at the hotel on our honeymoon. Different Muslim countries must handle religious events and ceremonies differently?! Idk
It makes me sad for you guys and a little worried about our application. God willing it will all work out.
Hi Carrie,
i'm Egyptian and my wife is Egyptian too, not sure if the VO in Egypt will do the same, especially they know the traditions. GOD help us all inshallah

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
She asked if we had a real relationship, and he said no, since neither of us were ready. Plus that is completely personal, it's none of her business and people fear this thing at the beginning.

so they do not have the right to judge us.
oh... this is likely it. You have to understand that while personal, IT IS THEIR BUSINESS and that the whole point of the interview is to assess or JUDGE your relationship.

Reactions: Eldis

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
Hello Hibsz,

I hope all is well now. I apologize that this has happened to you, as I understand how stressful the situation is. I also got married to my spouse in Lebanon in 2016, had a joint ketb ktab and wedding ceremony, and moved in with him. I did not wear a white dress and only had about 100 guests as well. I moved back to Canada for school and work, and was unable to go back and visit because we were short-staffed. My spouse went for the interview in January of 2018 and the application got rejected a week after. Luckily, we had photos proving our consummation, so I went to a local MP and asked that he send a reconsideration request. He did, with the extra proof I provided, but the officer rejected to reopen the file and suggested I appeal her decision.

I decided not to appeal and to just reapply. We sent over the extra proof and extra explanations last month, and are waiting. This is what I suggest you do and what I will be doing: GO TO YOUR LOCAL MP. ASK THEM TO STAND BY YOU. SUPPORT THEIR RIDING AND THEY WILL SUPPORT YOUR MARRIAGE. Visit mycommons on google and find a member of parliament in your area. Call them and explain your situation. They have the power to request that RICC speeds up your application and can grant any request you ask. Their request did not work on my reconsideration request, but it worked to speed up my friend's application. I am waiting for my UCI to be sent so that I can have my MP send a letter asking to speed up my next application, and request a new officer to review my file (btw: I think we had the same officer because it seemed to be around the same time at the same visa office and our refusal letter had very similar wording, except less of an explanation). I am sorry that this is happening to you and understand the amount of pain you are going through right now. I really hope this helps, and if you ever want to talk, message me so that we can find a more convenient mode of communication.

Fatima A.

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
Hello Hibsz,

I hope all is well now. I apologize that this has happened to you, as I understand how stressful the situation is. I also got married to my spouse in Lebanon in 2016, had a joint ketb ktab and wedding ceremony, and moved in with him. I did not wear a white dress and only had about 100 guests as well. I moved back to Canada for school and work, and was unable to go back and visit because we were short-staffed. My spouse went for the interview in January of 2018 and the application got rejected a week after. Luckily, we had photos proving our consummation, so I went to a local MP and asked that he send a reconsideration request. He did, with the extra proof I provided, but the officer rejected to reopen the file and suggested I appeal her decision.

I decided not to appeal and to just reapply. We sent over the extra proof and extra explanations last month, and are waiting. This is what I suggest you do and what I will be doing: GO TO YOUR LOCAL MP. ASK THEM TO STAND BY YOU. SUPPORT THEIR RIDING AND THEY WILL SUPPORT YOUR MARRIAGE. Visit mycommons on google and find a member of parliament in your area. Call them and explain your situation. They have the power to request that RICC speeds up your application and can grant any request you ask. Their request did not work on my reconsideration request, but it worked to speed up my friend's application. I am waiting for my UCI to be sent so that I can have my MP send a letter asking to speed up my next application, and request a new officer to review my file (btw: I think we had the same officer because it seemed to be around the same time at the same visa office and our refusal letter had very similar wording, except less of an explanation). I am sorry that this is happening to you and understand the amount of pain you are going through right now. I really hope this helps, and if you ever want to talk, message me so that we can find a more convenient mode of communication.

Fatima A.

Hello, I need help and advice! Me and my Husband met during my vacation to Lebanon in June 2015, I was/am a student therefore I had to go back to Canada. After my departure from Lebanon we constantly communicated, just like a regular couple. In summer 2016 I went back to Lebanon to visit him, and we decided to get married in July 2016. We are both Muslims, therefore we had our "Kateb Kteb" which means we are legally married in Islam. We had a celebration to celebrate being legally married, which consisted of 100 guests. We did not have the usual "cultural wedding" in which women wear a white dress, HOWEVER WE ARE STILL LEGALLY MARRIED. I left Lebanon in August 2016 to go back to Canada, and submitted the application to sponsor my husband in November 2016. I provided everything in my application such as pictures, conversations between my husband and I, airplane tickets to Lebanon, marriage certificate, etc. Our relationship is 100 % genuine. I went back to see him for a couple weeks in April 2017. A couple weeks ago we received an email from Immigration Canada requesting an Interview with my husband at the embassy of Canada in Lebanon. Today was his interview, and today was the day they refused the application. Below is exactly what was stated in the refusal letter:

"I have now completed the assessment of your permanent residence application as a member of the family class, the class in which you applied. I have determined that you do not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada. Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Paragraph 117(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. Subsection 4(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that for the purposes of these Regulations, a foreign national shall not be considered a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner of a person if the marriage, common-law partnership or conjugal partnership (a) was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act; or (b) is not genuine.

Based on the assessment of your file, including your application, the supporting documentation, and the information you provided during the interview in Beirut on 6 June 2017, I am not satisfied that your marriage to your sponsor is genuine and that it was not entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Act. In the local culture, marriage is a two-step process, involving as a first step the signature of the Nikah Kitab (or Katb Al-Kitab), i.e. marriage contract, usually in a religious ceremony, which means that the spouses are legally married. You and your sponsor have completed this aspect of the marriage.

The second step involves a wedding reception, after which the couple are considered fully married, are recognized as husband and wife by their respective families and their community, can go on their honeymoon and can start their communal life. Barring such second step, a marriage remains akin to an engagement in the eyes of the concerned relatives, the community and the spouses themselves, and can be easily annulled as it is considered as not having been consummated. Having not completed the second step, a couple are unable to reside together and are not recognized as husband and wife by their community.

At interview, you were questioned about a number of concerns regarding your application, including whether you and your sponsor have hosted a wedding celebration and whether you yourself consider your relationship to have reached a full marital status. I advised you of the specific concerns that I had identified in your case regarding the status of your relationship with your sponsor, and asked you to address these issues. You were unable to provide a response that satisfied my concerns. While you and your sponsor appear to be in a sincere relationship, at this point I am not satisfied that you meet the definition of spouse as required under the Act.

Subsection 11(1) of the Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act. Based on the information that is available, I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Act. I am therefore refusing your application
."

I am completely frustrated at the reasoning for the refusal of the application and we are uncertain of what we should do. We have the options of appealing the decision or reapplying. I would like to appeal the decision, however would I need a lawyer? Is it better to have a lawyer? Has anybody gone through something similar to this? Please help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Hibsz,

Fatima A.
MPs do NOT have the ability to speed up applications and cannot request that IRCC process any one app faster. It would be grossly unfair if they could do that.

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
MPs do NOT have the ability to speed up applications and cannot request that IRCC process any one app faster. It would be grossly unfair if they could do that.
They can request that it be done with good reason. It is absolutely fair for someone who had been unjustly denied residence. Doesn’t mean the visa office will do it, but they will consider it. I even asked the call center if an MP could do it, and they said yes. Go ahead and ask before suggesting an incorrect statement!

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
A friend of mine had an application that was taking well over two years to process. She went to a local MP, and they sent a request to speed up her processing. She had good reason. It worked!

Applying the first time and getting refused is a good reason to speed up the second time.

zeinaCanada

Star Member
Jan 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Beyrouth
App. Filed.......
22-11-2018
Interview........
20-03-2018
A friend of mine had an application that was taking well over two years to process. She went to a local MP, and they sent a request to speed up her processing. She had good reason. It worked!

Applying the first time and getting refused is a good reason to speed up the second time.
Hi Fatima

Did you reapply?!?

There is a thread for beirut if you would like to join us

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/2017-beirut-outland-family-sponsorship.536424/page-1

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
They can request that it be done with good reason. It is absolutely fair for someone who had been unjustly denied residence. Doesn’t mean the visa office will do it, but they will consider it. I even asked the call center if an MP could do it, and they said yes. Go ahead and ask before suggesting an incorrect statement!
No, they can't. They are not allowed to interfere with or unduly influence the immigration process. If they could, corrupt MPs would use that influence to speed up apps for friends or big "donors". They can certainly submit a complaint on behalf of a constituent and if IRCC finds the complaint valid, the app might be dealt with differently. However, that is FAR from an MP being able to request faster processing.

It is pretty rare for an app to be "unjustly refused". From what you've said, you didn't follow wedding tradition, didn't send any wedding photos and didn't visit after the wedding. All red flags and no surprise that your app was refused.

The Call Centre gives out wrong information every day. They are poorly trained, they are not visa officers, they do not ever deal with processing apps and they certainly don't deal with anything to do with MPs.

Go ahead and research before posting something incorrect.

They didn't send a request for faster processing. They sent a complaint and IRCC upheld the complaint.

No, it most certainly isn't. You don't get to benefit the second time around because you made mistakes in your first app.

FAjAlame

Apr 9, 2018
You
No, they can't. They are not allowed to interfere with or unduly influence the immigration process. If they could, corrupt MPs would use that influence to speed up apps for friends or big "donors". They can certainly submit a complaint on behalf of a constituent and if IRCC finds the complaint valid, the app might be dealt with differently. However, that is FAR from an MP being able to request faster processing.

It is pretty rare for an app to be "unjustly refused". From what you've said, you didn't follow wedding tradition, didn't send any wedding photos and didn't visit after the wedding. All red flags and no surprise that your app was refused.

The Call Centre gives out wrong information every day. They are poorly trained, they are not visa officers, they do not ever deal with processing apps and they certainly don't deal with anything to do with MPs.

Go ahead and research before posting something incorrect.

They didn't send a request for faster processing. They sent a complaint and IRCC upheld the complaint.

No, it most certainly isn't. You don't get to benefit the second time around because you made mistakes in your first app.
You must be bitter because either your application got rejected, or for lack of better reasons, you applied for a position and did not get it.
1) You cannot claim that the call center is providing false information for the benefit of supporting your argument. If so, I would like a letter from a primary source (i.e. a visa officer) stating that we should not trust what the call center representatives tell us. From what I know, they are trained individuals that must go through a lengthy application process. I have checked the job application by the way.
2) If you have not read my post carefully, do not assume arguments that are rather flawed. My marriage did comply to cultural norms, which is probably not your cultural norms. The officer rejected due to lack of proof, which was a fault of my representative. The representative did not inform me what he was sending, and I made note of that on my second application.
3) Everything seems to be red flags to you, by looking at your replies on other posts. Almosts seems as if you are here to discourage citizens from applying, thus making you a complete waste of space and time.
4) I did not visit after the wedding because I had work and school. My excuse was absolutely reasonable. I went out of my way to take two months off to visit my spouse the coming summer. Not everyone’s money grows on trees, eh?
5) I did not say they will certainly do it. You have the right to request faster processing. You have the right to request anyting as a Canadian citizen. Did I say they will accept that request? No. There is a small chance they will, though. It is mostly based on luck.
6) Go work on your application, or enjoy your time with your spouse if it already got approved, rather than wasting your time arguing with a 20 year old female.

Enjoy your day mate.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You

You must be bitter because either your application got rejected, or for lack of better reasons, you applied for a position and did not get it.
1) You cannot claim that the call center is providing false information for the benefit of supporting your argument. If so, I would like a letter from a primary source (i.e. a visa officer) stating that we should not trust what the call center representatives tell us. From what I know, they are trained individuals that must go through a lengthy application process. I have checked the job application by the way.
2) If you have not read my post carefully, do not assume arguments that are rather flawed. My marriage did comply to cultural norms, which is probably not your cultural norms. The officer rejected due to lack of proof, which was a fault of my representative. The representative did not inform me what he was sending, and I made note of that on my second application.
3) Everything seems to be red flags to you, by looking at your replies on other posts. Almosts seems as if you are here to discourage citizens from applying, thus making you a complete waste of space and time.
4) I did not visit after the wedding because I had work and school. My excuse was absolutely reasonable. I went out of my way to take two months off to visit my spouse the coming summer. Not everyone’s money grows on trees, eh?
5) I did not say they will certainly do it. You have the right to request faster processing. You have the right to request anyting as a Canadian citizen. Did I say they will accept that request? No. There is a small chance they will, though. It is mostly based on luck.
6) Go work on your application, or enjoy your time with your spouse if it already got approved, rather than wasting your time arguing with a 20 year old female.

Enjoy your day mate.
I successfully sponsored my partner without issue.

1. Read through the forum and find all of the people who received wrong advice from the call centre. Call three times asking the same thing and get three answers. There have been news articles about the poor training and service. They receive barely any training and can barely answer basic questions. Length of application process does not equate to competency.

2. You can't blame it on your representative. IRCC does not accept the "it was their fault, not mine" excuse. It was ultimately your responsibility to ensure that the required documents were sent.

3. Lol, who is the bitter one? Those are red flags, whether you like it or not. By all means, highlight all of these posts where I am a "waste of space and time".

4. I quit jobs, delayed school, went into debt and moved country twice to be with my partner. My partner did the same for me. Those were our personal choices to be together and prioritize our relationship. You made the personal choice to put other priorities above your partner.

5. You have the right to ask for a million dollars. They won't give it you. You can request faster processing but it will not happen.

6. Apparently, according to you, I am a "waste of time", so I might as well waste it here.

Qurat ul ain

Feb 4, 2019
pardon my concern but what does photos proving consummation mean? are people actually having to shoot the act and share with the government?

Hello Hibsz,

Fatima A.
Hello Hibsz,

Fatima A.