+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship / Open Work Visa

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
I was hoping to get some good insights here as I am getting a bit lost in the immigration maze..

I am a Dutchie married since 2 years with a Canadian, living in Ireland with our daughter. We hope to move to Canada early 2018. My wife will sponsor me, she is currently a stay at home mum, but if I understand correctly, that shouldn't be an issue for the income criteria. I hope to be able to get an Open Work Visa so I can work straight away (savings aren't big) + I hope I can continue some of my freelance translation work.
Are there any others with a somewhat similar story? How easy was it to get that Open Work Visa, what was the processing time, and was there really no hassle to get through Immigration without having a job secured prior to arrival?

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

M

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In order to get an open work permit, your wife has to sponsor you inland (and include an open work permit with the sponsorship application). To sponsor your inland, both of you have to be physically in Canada when the application is submitted. Once the application is submitted, it will take around four months for the open work permit to be issued. So you should be aware that you won't be able to work immediately on arriving.

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the very quick reply! Will look into this! So there really is no way to do this from abroad? Bummer...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the very quick reply! Will look into this! So there really is no way to do this from abroad? Bummer...
She can sponsor you outland from abroad - however there's no open work permit granted with the outland process.

One option would be to go outland and you could wait outside of Canada until the application is approved - and only then come to Canada. That would be one option that would allow you to work as soon as you arrive in Canada (because when you arrive in Canada your PR application would be approved and you'd be landing as a PR).

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
She can sponsor you outland from abroad - however there's no open work permit granted with the outland process.

One option would be to go outland and you could wait outside of Canada until the application is approved - and only then come to Canada. That would be one option that would allow you to work as soon as you arrive in Canada (because when you arrive in Canada your PR application would be approved and you'd be landing as a PR).
I appreciate your advice! I am also a bit worried about us landing and the interview (had a bad experience some years ago, no reason for it but I got treated like an outlaw.. maybe it was my guitar that triggered it) My wife and toddler will be traveling with me, when landing and asked for my purpose of visit, what is best to answer? What paperwork/documents to have ready? Again, thanks for helping here!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I hope I can continue some of my freelance translation work.
Some people can continue their freelance work in Canada (as visitor) as long as none of your client or customer is from Canada. I don't have first hand experience but I read that some Americans did that and work "remotely" as long as their employer and clients are NOT Canadian nor Canadian company.

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
I think you also may want to consider that an outland application is likely faster - so rather than waiting to apply inland only so you can wait for an OWP...you may be better off applying outland. That depends on if you have started on the application yet though. It takes a bit of time to put everything together.

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
I think you also may want to consider that an outland application is likely faster - so rather than waiting to apply inland only so you can wait for an OWP...you may be better off applying outland. That depends on if you have started on the application yet though. It takes a bit of time to put everything together.
Unfortunately that won't work for us as we want to leave within 6 months.

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
Some people can continue their freelance work in Canada (as visitor) as long as none of your client or customer is from Canada. I don't have first hand experience but I read that some Americans did that and work "remotely" as long as their employer and clients are NOT Canadian nor Canadian company.
Thanks! I might consider that..

Netraam

Oct 14, 2017
What I don't really understand is how it works at the border, on arrival. When I get to the customs with my wife and kid, will we tell them we are just visiting (and have a return ticket to proof)? Or can we say that we will apply for PR inland?

Reactions: Snackshaw