+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - No Income (Still Eligible?)

haven14

Jan 27, 2020
Hi everyone. I am planning to sponsor my husband who is currently working in Japan, but as for me, I do not have a job and source of income at present but I am applying for jobs. I do not have any social welfare or assistance and my brother is supporting me at the moment. Am I still eligible to apply for spousal sponsorship?

Thanks!

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Hi everyone. I am planning to sponsor my husband who is currently working in Japan, but as for me, I do not have a job and source of income at present but I am applying for jobs. I do not have any social welfare or assistance and my brother is supporting me at the moment. Am I still eligible to apply for spousal sponsorship?

Thanks!
why not^ there is no LICO for spouse sponsorship. i didnt have any income and i applied in october. they dont ask for noa for quebec sponsor but i think for any spouse sponsorship, it doesnt matter. on one form it asks for your job for the past 5 years, you need to explain how you supported yourself if you were not working.

haven14

Jan 27, 2020
Thanks for your reply.

If I may ask, what other documents did you include in your application?

Since I am supported by my brother, will it be accepted if he writes a letter?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thanks for your reply.

If I may ask, what other documents did you include in your application?

Since I am supported by my brother, will it be accepted if he writes a letter?
No, they don’t ask for that. They don’t ask for proof of income. At least for Qc resident as I don’t remember what they ask for point 5

shaik4783

Dec 19, 2018
why not^ there is no LICO for spouse sponsorship. i didnt have any income and i applied in october. they dont ask for noa for quebec sponsor but i think for any spouse sponsorship, it doesnt matter. on one form it asks for your job for the past 5 years, you need to explain how you supported yourself if you were not working.
HI,
sorry for hijacking your reply to other post . As you have said in the reply that we need to show that we were working for the last 5 years. For me, i was a student for at least 3 years in the last 5 years and i did an internship which was an unpaid one. Does the document include the amount that we earned for those jobs that we worked in the last years and also any notice of assessment need to be submitted ..?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
HI,
sorry for hijacking your reply to other post . As you have said in the reply that we need to show that we were working for the last 5 years. For me, i was a student for at least 3 years in the last 5 years and i did an internship which was an unpaid one. Does the document include the amount that we earned for those jobs that we worked in the last years and also any notice of assessment need to be submitted ..?
no i think they asked for an explanation if you havent been working for 5 years so you just annex the explanation to the document. i didnt include any NOA but that is also because im from quebec. i dont remember if they ask for amount earned on that form but i think they do if im not mistaken

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
no i think they asked for an explanation if you havent been working for 5 years so you just annex the explanation to the document. i didnt include any NOA but that is also because im from quebec. i dont remember if they ask for amount earned on that form but i think they do if im not mistaken
Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.
If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information. If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.
HI,
In document checklist, they ask you to submit notice of assessment (NOA), you should do so, if you have employment in Canada paycheck and Tax. If you don't have NOA, send them an explain letter. Did you work before you were student in 5 years. Even you were in your country, you can include it in form 5532.
In form 5532, they ask monthly gross / salary income where you put the amount you have earned.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are in Quebec and have dependent child : If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information. If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.
This is incorrect. Quebec applicants do not submit IMM1283. For all other applicants, it is only required if a dependent child has a dependent child of their own.

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
This is incorrect. Quebec applicants do not submit IMM1283. For all other applicants, it is only required if a dependent child has a dependent child of their own.
Sorry, if it's not clear, here it's
Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] , only if you are sponsoring your dependent child who has no dependent children of their own. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out. See: Sponsors living in Quebec
Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] , only if you are sponsoring a dependent child who has their own dependent child. Unless instructed otherwise, sponsors in Quebec do not need to fill this out.

Last edited:

shaik4783

Dec 19, 2018
Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.
If you must meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details). If you live in Quebec, you don’t have to submit this form to IRCC. See subsection 1(3) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for more information. If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.

In document checklist, they ask you to submit notice of assessment (NOA), you should do so, if you have employment in Canada paycheck and Tax. If you don't have NOA, send them an explain letter. Did you work before you were student in 5 years. Even you were in your country, you can include it in form 5532.
In form 5532, they ask monthly gross / salary income where you put the amount you have earned.
Thank you for the reply..I will wait till i get a job in canada and then submit the payslips just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

Thanks!
YES

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for the reply..I will wait till i get a job in canada and then submit the payslips just to be on the safe side.
Thanks again
You don't need to wait. There is no minimum income requirement and as long as you can show you won't have to go on welfare, you will be fine.

Reactions: YVR123

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?
Affidavit from my parents is not needed. The applicatiion must be originated from Canada. Perhaps you should wait until you got a job and then apply to sponsor.

Reactions: tsdhaliwal