+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - No Income (Still Eligible?)

tsdhaliwal

Sep 25, 2019
Affidavit from my parents is not needed. The applicatiion must be originated from Canada. Perhaps you should wait until you got a job and then apply to sponsor.
Are you sure about this? Because i have consulted 4 immigration consultants and they confirmed that i dont need to be in canada to start the process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you sure about this? Because i have consulted 4 immigration consultants and they confirmed that i dont need to be in canada to start the process.
Yes, we are all 100% sure. The immigration consultants don't know what they are doing. Don't hire them if they are telling you that you can apply from outside of Canada as a PR. You can't. All they are going to do is take your money and screw up your application. They are just after your money. Clearly they don't care about you and/or don't understand immigration rules.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,
I am sponsoring my spouse who currently lives in india. I became PR in june 2022 and was working there till november(5 months approx). I have offer letter and salary slips. Currently i am not working as i came to india in december to get married. Now i'm trying to sponsor my spouse but don't have a job. I don't have much savings but i can show savings and affidavit from my parents. I am confident of finding a job within a month when i go back to canada.
How should i go about with source of income? Can anyone help?
You can apply without a job if you have enough savings and can proof that you will be able to support yours and your spouse's living.

BUT you need to be back in Canada to submit your application. PR can only sponsor when they are living in Canada.
Those consultants are likely outside of Canada and they want your business before you move back. You will be taking your chance if IRCC noticed that you applied outside and refused it. Those consultants are happy to take that chance (vs no business from you since you may find other consultant that's willing to do that with you before you move back). We did see some cases that IRCC missed it or the consultant would suggest you to lie/misrepresent that you are actually inside while you submitted outside. Do not do that.

Reactions: tsdhaliwal

calguy

Feb 8, 2020
You can apply without a job if you have enough savings and can proof that you will be able to support yours and your spouse's living.

BUT you need to be back in Canada to submit your application. PR can only sponsor when they are living in Canada.
Those consultants are likely outside of Canada and they want your business before you move back. You will be taking your chance if IRCC noticed that you applied outside and refused it. Those consultants are happy to take that chance (vs no business from you since you may find other consultant that's willing to do that with you before you move back). We did see some cases that IRCC missed it or the consultant would suggest you to lie/misrepresent that you are actually inside while you submitted outside. Do not do that.

Hi,

Just wanted to make sure if a PR needs to meet his Residency Obligation requirements, that is to have stayed in Canada for 2 out of 5 years of PR Card validity to be eligible to apply for Spousal and Dependent Child Sponsorship in Canada?

My scenario -

Got PR back in October 2020 and landed in Canada and returned home after a moth.
Got married in 2021 and did not travel back to Canada since then. Had a child this year and now planning to travel together.

Now my question is, will I be able to apply for sponsorship for them once we travel back to Canada. The fact that I have not met the RO yet? or I should wait until I have stayed for 2 years and then apply?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You wait. Applying may trigger cancellation of your PR. Assume spouse and infant have TRVs. Look into health care insurance for your spouse and infant too, as they have no access to services.
I don't agree with this for the OP's case.

OP is still in compliance with RO provided they return to Canada by October 2023. If the OP returns on or before this date, they can submit the application immediately.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't agree with this for the OP's case.

OP is still in compliance with RO provided they return to Canada by October 2023. If the OP returns on or before this date, they can submit the application immediately.
Okay. Good to know. Assume child and spouse have TRVs to travel.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

Just wanted to make sure if a PR needs to meet his Residency Obligation requirements, that is to have stayed in Canada for 2 out of 5 years of PR Card validity to be eligible to apply for Spousal and Dependent Child Sponsorship in Canada?

My scenario -

Got PR back in October 2020 and landed in Canada and returned home after a moth.
Got married in 2021 and did not travel back to Canada since then. Had a child this year and now planning to travel together.

Now my question is, will I be able to apply for sponsorship for them once we travel back to Canada. The fact that I have not met the RO yet? or I should wait until I have stayed for 2 years and then apply?

Thanks!
You meet your RO (or will be able to meet your RO) if you stay out of Canada after landing for less than 3 years. (1095 out of Canada in any five years)
If you landed in Oct 2020, you will have Oct 2025 to meet your RO. as post above, you still have till Oct 2023 to return (better to return sooner so you have the flexibility to do short trips in case it's needed).

You do not need to stay 2 years before you apply. It's as long as you protentially can meet RO for your first 5 years, you are good to start the application once you have arrived in Canada.

Reactions: calguy

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a ton @scylla @armoured @YVR123 for your valuable inputs!
I repeat the magic number that you need to keep track of - days outside Canada less than 1095 days in any five year period, i.e. five years back from any day (in practice, any day you are examined eg at border or IRCC opens your file for some reason like sponsorship app). The only 'fixed' five year period is the first one, from day of landing to fifth anniversary of landing.

BUT: leave yourself extra room. One of the most frequent type of issues here is PRs who have been abroad, planned to return earlier, and 'something came up' or return and then need to travel or whatever happens. Those who had healthy buffers of time remaining and time in Canada have a lot fewer issues.

In your case: imagine planning to return or returning to Canada but spouse and kid(s) can't right away, need/want to see and/or something happens. With no buffer or small buffer - sponsorship becomes a serious issue, possibly delays of 2+ years beyond the stated processing times.