+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPOUSE OPEN WORK PERMIT

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I apply for open spouse work permit during my spouse visa file.
Yes, but only if submitting an Inland application. If you still have legal status, including the OWP with the Inland application will give you `Maintained Status' (formerly `Implied Status'). If you are out of status, you can still include the OWP but would NOT have maintained status and the OWP would not be processed until you reach stage 1 approval of PR (AIP), which could be 8+ months based on current data.

rumang

Feb 17, 2022
Yes, but only if submitting an Inland application. If you still have legal status, including the OWP with the Inland application will give you `Maintained Status' (formerly `Implied Status'). If you are out of status, you can still include the OWP but would NOT have maintained status and the OWP would not be processed until you reach stage 1 approval of PR (AIP), which could be 8+ months based on current data.
I can't apply if I am processing my file from outland?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am talking about spouse open work permit.
It's confusing to understand what you are asking. What is the status of the spouse in Canada? Is the spouse a Canadian citizen or PR? Or is the spouse in Canada on a study permit or work permit?

rumang

Feb 17, 2022
It's confusing to understand what you are asking. What is the status of the spouse in Canada? Is the spouse a Canadian citizen or PR? Or is the spouse in Canada on a study permit or work permit?
he is a permanent resident in canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
he is a permanent resident in canada
In that case you would only qualify for an open work permit if both he and you are in Canada and he applies to sponsor you for PR using the within Canada application process.

If you are outside of Canada, you do not qualify for a work permit.

Reactions: YVR123 and rumang

Harsh37

Sep 7, 2022
I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter canada with valid Canadian company's offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her? Her company is ready to send her in 2 months after arranging Finance for her, from client.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I got the open work permit as my spouse received closed work permit. Can I enter canada with valid Canadian company's offer letter and start working without my spouse as her company is still not ready to send her? Her company is ready to send her in 2 months after arranging Finance for her, from client.
You posted your question in the wrong discussion. This discussion/section of the forum is about family sponsorship.

Your question is about SOWP for spouse of foreign workers. It's not related to family sponsorship at all.
Post it in the foreign worker section.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/foreign-workers.10/

faiqsheikh

Star Member
Apr 18, 2017
Hello guys, I need help!
I got closed work permit and intrested in applying for my spouse and kids. I have some queries please do help me in this regard.
1- Which format I have to use for applying. IRCC & GCKEY.
2- Application form has to be submitted under visitor visa or directly applying for open work permit visa.
3- Please do share with me link so that I can directly submit the form.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys, I need help!
I got closed work permit and intrested in applying for my spouse and kids. I have some queries please do help me in this regard.
1- Which format I have to use for applying. IRCC & GCKEY.
2- Application form has to be submitted under visitor visa or directly applying for open work permit visa.
3- Please do share with me link so that I can directly submit the form.
Wrong section of the forum. Post to the Foreign Workers section.

AntF89

Sep 19, 2023
Hi, a quick question. im applying for my pr through common law inland process from Montréal. My current work permit will end next august, im aware I can apply for OWP when I apply for my PR, any Idea on the timeline of when I will receive my work permit since the pr process in Quebec can take more than 20 months. Or will I only receive my OWP after a decision is made by the Quebec govt?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
You can apply for OWP after you get an AOR for your PR. The OWP published processing time is about 5 month but real-life timelines are not widely reported here to validate the posted time. It may be faster

AntF89

Sep 19, 2023
You can apply for OWP after you get an AOR for your PR. The OWP published processing time is about 5 month but real-life timelines are not widely reported here to validate the posted time. It may be faster
Perfect, thank you. So the OWP is independent of the whole PR process? That’s good to know. Any idea on how long these OWP are issued for, because the process within Quebec takes longer than the rest of Canada. So I was wondering how long the work permit will be issued for?