+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Their lack of professionalism and no efficient score applied government system dose make this situation.

Also, priority application they proceed was all politic matter, the politician does not care about people who really want to stay and work hard in Canada, Because we are not citizen, no power of voting.

sorry to hear your situation, wish you get what you need as soon as possible.
Not clear what the issue is with the PGWP application so can’t comment but allowing your WP expiring while you kept working isn’t IRCCs fault. Restoration still doesn’t allow you to work.

hyunrememberl

Feb 2, 2018
Restoration should only by to visitor status not restoration to a WP. You can apply for an OWP if your spouse works in NOC 0, a or B and has 3 pay stubs.
my spouse was working from May since she graduate from April,

And Yes she is working under
NOC B 1311.

And I applied my WP by August.

well enough to get more than 3 pay stub.

is that good answer for you?

hyunrememberl

Feb 2, 2018
Not clear what the issue is with the PGWP application so can’t comment but allowing your WP expiring while you kept working isn’t IRCCs fault. Restoration still doesn’t allow you to work.
If IRCC could issue my spouse's PGWP more earlier than August would be better to get my work permit extension easier.

they should have focused on tax payer's application including student who need a visa who really work hard in this country.

if you don't get the story what I wrote, sorry myEnglish is not that much great to understand.

you should help somebody else who use English perfectly instead of bugging and trying to correct somebody who did not lie about his thread.

have a good night

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Hello Forum,
I have a question, I appreciate your help,
I am in Canada with a visitor visa, my spouse is a Canadian citizen, we are currently living to gether, Is it possible to apply for Open Work permit, even if you are applying for Permanent Residency, We are still not ready to apply for my sponsorship, but I wanted to get an Open work permit, I wonder if it is possible, Or only someone who already applies for Permanent residency can apply for an open work permit?
Best,
R.

sarveets

Nov 26, 2020
Sadly no, being with a Canadian citizen doesn't allow you to apply for an Owp. You can only do this via sponsorship. Very backward as if your spouse was on a temp permit you'd get OWP

Reactions: YVR123

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Sadly no, being with a Canadian citizen doesn't allow you to apply for an Owp. You can only do this via sponsorship. Very backward as if your spouse was on a temp permit you'd get OWP
Thank you for your reply. in that case, if we are not ready to go for the Sponsorship process, Can I just apply for extending my visitor visa?

sarveets

Nov 26, 2020
Thank you for your reply. in that case, if we are not ready to go for the Sponsorship process, Can I just apply for extending my visitor visa?
Yes you can apply for an extension. Unless you can get a closed work permit then you can try. But most employers don't take out permits for you. I've looked into this a lot and get frustrated with the stupid rules that make no sense.

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Yes you can apply for an extension. Unless you can get a closed work permit then you can try. But most employers don't take out permits for you. I've looked into this a lot and get frustrated with the stupid rules that make no sense.
Thanks a lot, I called a lawyer and they said I only answer face to face, and a fee was involved. I'm happy that I found this forum, I appreciate your help.

sarveets

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks a lot, I called a lawyer and they said I only answer face to face, and a fee was involved. I'm happy that I found this forum, I appreciate your help.
Trust me I know how frustrating this process is and I have looked into every avenue for this also. I am waiting for a PGWP ext and it is now more than 6 months over due. Why are you not ready for sponsorship yet?

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
Trust me I know how frustrating this process is and I have looked into every avenue for this also. I am waiting for a PGWP ext and it is now more than 6 months over due. Why are you not ready for sponsorship yet?
We married 3 weeks after my arrival in Canada, I heard it's better to live together for some time before applying for sponsorship, we both are around 55 years old, we just didn't want to live alone for the rest of our lives, and didn't know what is the best way to do it, so we got married fast, then looked into sponsorship and someone told us, it's better to wait, otherwise, they will question you,

Last edited:

sarveets

Nov 26, 2020
We married 3 weeks after my arrival in Canada, I heard it's better to live together for some time before applying for sponsorship, we both are around 55 years old, we just didn't want to live alone for the rest of our lives, and didn't know what is the best way to do it, so we got married fast, then looked into sponsorship and someone told us, it's better to wait, otherwise, they will question you,
do you have proof of relationship or lived together for 12 months? I'm common law and had to get letters from friends and family and proof of relationship. Don't wait too long as it is taking forever to get PR now

Rany88

Nov 11, 2021
do you have proof of relationship or lived together for 12 months? I'm common law and had to get letters from friends and family and proof of relationship. Don't wait too long as it is taking forever to get PR now
not before we got married, I was outside of Canada, around one before we got married, we started living together, and we have our lease and bank account, it's been 4 months since we lived together.

narikkumar

Mar 23, 2021
Can I apply OWP even if I am outside Canada?
Hello, hope you are doing well. May I know more details about your OWP application? I would like to know if you have applied it within India as I am planning to do the same for my wife next month. How long it took for you to receive the approval? please let me know. Thanks,

Sep 20, 2022
Hi, I came to Canada as a student in 2020 for a 2 years program. In march 2022 I got my Pgwp. I had put up a spouse opw application for my wife when I was still a student here in 2021, but her application wasn't picked up for more than a year and just 10 days after I got my WP they picked up her application and asked us to provide my job documents as per NOC and since I wasn't having a job then that would fall under NOC-B, my wife's application got rejected on those grounds. Currently I have got a job that meets the NOC requirements. We are planning on applying for Sopw. Can any one please throw some light on this situation, what conditions should I worrying about to avoid a rejection.
I was told by a few friends that since I haven't visited my wife in the last two years, it might cause problem. But 2020, 2021 due to covid there were a lot of travel restrictions, and I was a full time student, so I did not visit India, And after I got my WP I was searching for a job that would meet the noc requirements and just about a month I got a job, but I wont be able to travel now because of my probation period for 3 months.

My questions are,
1) can I give this explanation for not being able to visit my wife in India in the application form?
2) We are now planning to put up an application for her, since we meet all the requirements except for visiting each other, is it ok to go ahead and apply now or should I wait for some more time, visit her first and then apply?

If someone has experienced a similar situation, please share your exp, it would be appreciated.