+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Mirzana

Oct 19, 2018
Hi!

My husband is on study permit in Canada. I'm planning to apply for a spouse open work permit visa. I'm from inda. How much bank balance should we show? Can it be from parents? Can I keep parents assets documents?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it better to apply from canada or India for spouse OWP on student visa?
Spouses of international students are not guaranteed SOWP. You have already submitted your financial information with the original study permit. Unless you already have a TRV you have to apply from India.

Oct 30, 2018
Hi everyone,
I got married on June 22, 2018. My husband is a canadian PR. After marriage he immediately left to Canada. On July 29 I applied for open work permit online and its been 3 months till today. My file is still in the same status as of the date of submission. They are still reviewing my eligibity. Not even medical certificate or additional supporting documents are being asked for. Why is the processing so delayed? Is there any chances of getting open work permit? Please advice

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,
I got married on June 22, 2018. My husband is a canadian PR. After marriage he immediately left to Canada. On July 29 I applied for open work permit online and its been 3 months till today. My file is still in the same status as of the date of submission. They are still reviewing my eligibity. Not even medical certificate or additional supporting documents are being asked for. Why is the processing so delayed? Is there any chances of getting open work permit? Please advice
1. If your spouse is a PR and you are outside Canada, you are not eligible for a SOWP.

Reactions: scylla
Oct 30, 2018
Hi

1. If your spouse is a PR and you are outside Canada, you are not eligible for a SOWP.
I see... So is there any other way that I can join him soon. Apart from family class PR is there any other dependent visa that I can apply or is that the only way for dependants like me?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I see... So is there any other way that I can join him soon. Apart from family class PR is there any other dependent visa that I can apply or is that the only way for dependants like me?
Your only other option would be to get a TRV and to apply for spousal sponsorship inland. You may find it very difficult to show that you have strong enough ties to convince IRCC that you won't stay in Canada. Your best option is to start your application for outland spousal application now. You have already wasted 3 months on on SOWP that you don't qualify for.

Oct 30, 2018
Your only other option would be to get a TRV and to apply for spousal sponsorship inland. You may find it very difficult to show that you have strong enough ties to convince IRCC that you won't stay in Canada. Your best option is to start your application for outland spousal application now. You have already wasted 3 months on on SOWP that you don't qualify for.
Ok Thank you so much

Saidy

Nov 22, 2014
Hello Guys,
Finally got the SOWP approved and the PPR.
Time Line: May 14 - applied (with medical) > Sep 26 - Got medical req (something went wrong with the medical report submission)
> Sep 27 - submitted medical again > Oct 8 - medical pass > Oct 31 - PPR

Thank you for the help guys!! The process is very slow now, but even then its working, just stay patient!!!

yamm03

Oct 31, 2018
Hi All,

I am in a big dilemma right now. My wife is studying MBA in Canada and I went along with her on 5th September . I then applied for the open work permit application on 8th September from within Canada
as I thought of staying with her till my application was approved and then come back to India and give resignation,serve notice period in my current company and then go back.
I have a multiple entry tourist Visa. But somehow my company did not allow me to work remotely so I have to come back to India on 21st September.Now here are my doubts:
1)What happens if my application for OWP is approved wile I am in India?As I have to submit my passport,can I travel back to Canada on tourist visa and submit my passport?Am I allowed to do that?
2)Will I be denied entry if I follow 1?
3)Can my application be rejected as I left Canada during the process?

What should be the best thing for me to do?
Hi, what happened with your application???

dearbharat

Sep 23, 2018
Hi!

My husband is on study permit in Canada. I'm planning to apply for a spouse open work permit visa. I'm from inda. How much bank balance should we show? Can it be from parents? Can I keep parents assets documents?

Don't ever apply for open work permit from India. Apply for a simple visitor visa. Apply for work permit after arriving in Canada. In India it takes infinity with no replies to any queries. You need about a year equivalent of expenses in bank to be on safer side.

dearbharat

Sep 23, 2018
Hi everyone,
Practically, you dod not qualify for open work permit. You should simply apply for visitor visa and join as dependent on your husband PR.