+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

drnadiaj

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
fkl said:
Just clearly write - N/A - Spouse dependent OWP in both the fields. This is the standard procedure
it means i should not write the location the province i intend to go my spouse has the same province too ?? and secondly for his designation means i should not write the one he is currently here employee??? they were asking intended occupation in canada will be in future so i will state n/a ???? am i right?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
drnadiaj said:
it means i should not write the location the province i intend to go my spouse has the same province too ?? and secondly for his designation means i should not write the one he is currently here employee??? they were asking intended occupation in canada will be in future so i will state n/a ???? am i right?
I don't exactly remember every question that comes up in that form. They might have changed as i recall only two - location and details of intended employer in Canada. Both of these should be N/A.

Why would you restrict your OWP application to a single province even if you intend to live with your spouse. Theoretically you could still get a job offer from some where else in the country and move there.

What designation are you referring to? If it asks for your spouse's or yours current employment, you should of course mention that. You could also even mention tentative NOC / occupation in Canada, but that shouldn't be of significant by definition of the work permit type.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
veritas said:
The source is this email from CHC Islamabad which I receive everytime I email them about my WP application:

Dear Client:

In reply to your mail (see below) please be informed that processing of Temporary Resident applications have been shifted to Abu Dhabi. However applications will be continued to be submitted on-line or at Visa Application Centres in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.

You may contact to Abu Dhabi office via email on this address: ABDBIIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca

Regards,
Immigration Section
Email: islamabad-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca
That's really interesting. Thank you for mentioning that here +1. Not a very positive thing for Pakistanis though.

aegan

Jul 4, 2016
Hi Maaftgbkum

When you got your medical request and where you did your Medicals ?
I applied on Bangalore ,sowp paper application on June 29 .after 3.5 I got my Medical request on October 13,I did my Medicals on October 14 in chennai Appolo .officals in Appolo said they will update the results online to cic and also they gave me the medical report . I submitted that medical report to Bangalore consulate via chennai vfs yesterday .
It's been a week and I called Appolo hospital today and enquire about my file .they said still the file is in doctor table and they will update in one or two days .i still need to confirm with them .
This is my experience ,I guess this info will be helpful .
I think you should call the hospital and see what's going on .

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Hi Everybody,
Is anyone went to border to extend their spouse open work permit along with the wife's PG work permit. Please share the experience.

Thanks,
kalpan

SonikaRJ

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hello Every1

So here goes d gud news,, Finally after long waiting period Got approval for SOWP,, Ds forum & all d members who keep posting their experience r doing marvellous job,, Keep posting people,, God Bless u all,,

I would like to thank each n every member,, It ws a life changing experience altogether,,

Below is my timeline:

FIRST ATTEMPT
MODE OF APPLICATION: Online
DATE OF APPLICATION: Jan 4, 2016
MEDICAL UPDATE(upfront): Passed on March 10, 2016
After ds there were only blank updates,, From our side We did wtever we could,, Lot of CSE,, Minister Enquiry,, Endless mails to concerned departments,, We only got to know that file was for further review & there is no specific timeframe to finalise application,, Also, case was getting processed in Chandigarh Embassy,,

We kept on waiting till August end & kept on loosing hope with each passing day,, 8 months passed with nothing in our hand,, No further progress,, It ws den me & my husband decided to WITHDRAW the application which we did on 26 August 2016,,
However,, there was still a hope,, N as I was suggested by Navprateek,, a Member of this forum only to try n apply from Delhi,,

So,, we gathered all our shattered strength & hope & REAPPLIED FROM DELHI which was our SECOND ATTEMPT

Here is d timeline of SECOND ATTEMPT:
MODE OF APPLICATION: Paper Based
SUBMITTED IN: Delhi Vfs
DATE OF APPLICATION: September 6, 2016
MEDICAL UPDATE: Passed as on October 17, 2016
APPLICATION APPROVAL UPDATE: October 19, 2016
APPLICATION APPROVAL MAIL: October 20, 2016
RECEIVED PASSPORT WITH VISA STAMP: October 20, 2016
Process ws done in 44 Days

This was my journey so far,, hope this helps other members in ds forum,, Would specially mention abt Yadav, Navparteek, FKL whu have bn true support,,
I know ds waiting game is hell,, bt we shud keep trying,, Rest GOD is dere to take care of everything,,

Thanks

michelb86

Apr 16, 2016
My situation is as follows:

I currently have an open work permit until September. I arrived with my common-law partner, she has a working contract until September as well, but it will be renewed after that.
Currently I am looking for a job, but what if I find one? Can they give me a one-year contract or do I have to get a contract until September? And if they give me a contract for a longer period, should I extend my open work permit or change it to a closed work permit?

Thanks!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Congrats @Sonika +1 for sharing details here to help others. All the best with the future being together in Canada.

mkg2

Oct 26, 2016
Hi,
My wife recently received her post-graduate open work permit valid for 3 years, however, currently she is unemployed.
I am in visitor status in Canada and accompanying her. In the meantime I found a university job (LMIA exempt), and therefore need to get a work permit. My question is can I apply to a work permit from inside Canada because my spouse has an open work permit, or should I go to my home country and apply from outside Canada to get my work permit, because my wife is not employed.
I am confused because in the cic help center page they say "You can apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit"
And yes my spouse has a valid open post graduate work permit.
However, when I start to fill out the questionnaire to apply for a work permit from inside Canada I am asked whether my spouse "Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B", which she hasn't.
So, what do you think? Should I apply to work permit inside or outside of Canada?
Thanks in advance.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
You can apply from inside canada. Make sure your wife is doing any kind of job, show the offer letter and pay stubs while applying your work permit. That works.

or

You can go with your offer letter(in university offer letter) at one of the CBSA borders.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mkg2 said:
Hi,
My wife recently received her post-graduate open work permit valid for 3 years, however, currently she is unemployed.
I am in visitor status in Canada and accompanying her. In the meantime I found a university job (LMIA exempt), and therefore need to get a work permit. My question is can I apply to a work permit from inside Canada because my spouse has an open work permit, or should I go to my home country and apply from outside Canada to get my work permit, because my wife is not employed.
I am confused because in the cic help center page they say "You can apply for a work permit from inside Canada if you, your spouse or parents have a valid study or work permit"
And yes my spouse has a valid open post graduate work permit.
However, when I start to fill out the questionnaire to apply for a work permit from inside Canada I am asked whether my spouse "Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B", which she hasn't.
So, what do you think? Should I apply to work permit inside or outside of Canada?
Thanks in advance.
The more important question is, whether you are applying for spouse dependent work permit or plain LMIA exempt one?

If latter, then spouse holding skilled job isn't relevant. You should apply from inside Canada making it clear you are not applying as dependent

pr_ptl

Mar 26, 2016
Hello all,

With the help of god grace and lot of passions (After Three previous refusal)..
My Spouse Work permit is approved on Oct 26,2016.

applied in Bangalore-Paper based..Aug 23

All the Best for all applicant who are waiting for their application.

Thank You All member of this forum for sharing valuable information.

aegan

Jul 4, 2016
Hi all

Below is my timeline

Mode of application : paper based SOWP
Place : Bangalore
Applied on : June 29
Medical request : October 13
Medicals submitted : October 19
Passport stamped :October 24

Thanks to everyone .

Can anyone please tell me what are the documents needed when I am travelling to Canada .

cooldelhiite

Nov 4, 2016
Hi All,

I have gone through all the 279 pages of this forum and I have gained a lot of info. Thanks everyone.

I am planning to apply for sep-2017 Software Engineering to Concordia Univ. I completed B.Tech in Electronics in 2003. 13 years I am in IT.

Have sufficient funds in bank. My wife is a housewife, been a teacher for 2 years in last 7 years. I have two children aged 5 and 0.5 :)

The reason for studies: "masters in software engineering will add a lot to my resume and help me grow further in my career to a managers level".

Do you think they will approve my study visa (13 years gap in study)? and TRV for my wife n kids.

I have house here in india, my parents and my wife's parents too..

Any advice or any lawyer suggestions would be appreciated.