+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

AnkitPandya

Sep 14, 2015
hopeful.ad said:
My friend had same situation like you and he spoke with the agent and agent mentioned that each application need separate medical. In his case Express entry and normal paper based PR.
What number did he speak to?

Rahul14

Oct 3, 2016
Hello everyone. Having read most of the posts still got few doubts,please help me out.

My wife is in Canada on her study permit,shes got 15 more months to complete her study permit.I work as a IT consultant in India. can someone suggest me regarding what kind of visa should I apply for.I mean SOWP or Visit. To be honest i dont want to come back soon.But looking at all the posts regarding rejections of SWOP plus time involved in it i am a bit confused. thanks

The Alchemist

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 01 , 2015
Nomination.....
August 20th, 2015
AOR Received.
November 24 th 2015
IELTS Request
Upfront Submission
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
June 30th 2016
Med's Done....
July 4th 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
March 27th
VISA ISSUED...
March 31st
LANDED..........
April 3rd
Rahul14 said:
Hello everyone. Having read most of the posts still got few doubts,please help me out.

My wife is in Canada on her study permit,shes got 15 more months to complete her study permit.I work as a IT consultant in India. can someone suggest me regarding what kind of visa should I apply for.I mean SOWP or Visit. To be honest i dont want to come back soon.But looking at all the posts regarding rejections of SWOP plus time involved in it i am a bit confused. thanks
Hi Rahul,

It looks Scary for SOWP, but that is the most suitable for your case, and there are very good chances for you to get an approval as your spouse is a Full time Student and has ample amount of time left on her Study permit. All my friends who were in same situation as yours (Spouse with Study Permit) had applied SOWP and got approved, it is for sure time consuming but it's most suitable. Having said that, TRV/Visitor visa is also an option but I am not sure if that's better, as most of people including me have got rejections on Visitor visa. You might want to give it shot if you wish, as it won't harm, and you will get result in exactly 2 weeks.
Hope this helps :)

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
The Alchemist said:
Hi Rahul,

It looks Scary for SOWP, but that is the most suitable for your case, and there are very good chances for you to get an approval as your spouse is a Full time Student and has ample amount of time left on her Study permit. All my friends who were in same situation as yours (Spouse with Study Permit) had applied SOWP and got approved, it is for sure time consuming but it's most suitable. Having said that, TRV/Visitor visa is also an option but I am not sure if that's better, as most of people including me have got rejections on Visitor visa. You might want to give it shot if you wish, as it won't harm, and you will get result in exactly 2 weeks.
Visitor TRV is always the wrong choice for this profile.

Rahul14

Oct 3, 2016
The Alchemist said:
Hi Rahul,

fkl said:
Thanks guys..I heard from my friends from canada saying that its best to apply for TRV and later jump into SOWP from canada..Has anyone got any information on this please share.

drnadiaj

Star Member
Aug 19, 2016
There is a application package of sowp includes ,workpermit outside canada ,2nd is Family Information ,there is another name as schedule 1 form ,can anyone have link ,i wont be able to find it .?
Is there any other application to submit am i missing anything ?

The Alchemist

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 01 , 2015
Nomination.....
August 20th, 2015
AOR Received.
November 24 th 2015
IELTS Request
Upfront Submission
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
June 30th 2016
Med's Done....
July 4th 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
March 27th
VISA ISSUED...
March 31st
LANDED..........
April 3rd
fkl said:
Yeah absolutely but, the problem is for some people TRV is the only option as they either don't have a FT job or don't have sufficient funds, and also the wait time is very uncertain with high deviation for SOWP.

The Alchemist

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 01 , 2015
Nomination.....
August 20th, 2015
AOR Received.
November 24 th 2015
IELTS Request
Upfront Submission
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
June 30th 2016
Med's Done....
July 4th 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
March 27th
VISA ISSUED...
March 31st
LANDED..........
April 3rd
Rahul14 said:
Thanks guys..I heard from my friends from canada saying that its best to apply for TRV and later jump into SOWP from canada..Has anyone got any information on this please share.
Well Rahul,

That's correct, but there's no consistency in getting approval for either of them. It's purely luck, one of my friend got TRV for his wife in 12 days, with funds less than $2000 in his account and with a pert time job in Subway!. Can you believe this? I showed 15 times more than him with a FT job and they said " I don't have sufficient funds and Financial Stability in Canada". Which was absolutely ridiculous, and me and my friend had applied for TRV at same time. So the bottom line is "LUCK".

Aug 21, 2016
I am planning to apply for the SOWP before december. May I know which is better to apply through a representative or by myself? If by a representative, like lawyer or consultant what will be the minimum fee I should expect? I appreciate your experienced suggestions.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Dear FKL and other senior members,

My wife is completed her study and going to apply PG work permit soon in December 2016. I am working full time job in canada on dependent work permit issued which is same date as my wife's study permit expiry date.

My question is, Can I apply extension of my work permit along with her PG work permit or Do I need to wait until she receives her PG work permit?

If I want to apply together, weather she needs any full time job? Please suggest.

Maaftgbkum

Jan 4, 2015
Hello guys
Can anyone help me .I submitted my medical examination on 21sept and after that I haven't got anything then I send enquiry as well as email on last Saturday. And I got response today that
Dear client
We are awaiting for your medical result

Rahul14

Oct 3, 2016
The Alchemist said:
Well Rahul,

That's correct, but there's no consistency in getting approval for either of them. It's purely luck, one of my friend got TRV for his wife in 12 days, with funds less than $2000 in his account and with a pert time job in Subway!. Can you believe this? I showed 15 times more than him with a FT job and they said " I don't have sufficient funds and Financial Stability in Canada". Which was absolutely ridiculous, and me and my friend had applied for TRV at same time. So the bottom line is "LUCK".
Lets say If I apply for SOWP by end of October .How much time will it take to get my visa?.I got all the paper work plus Funds handy ..plz can someone update me the status of their filling who applied in last few months?

anttor

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
Guys my wife's visa office is Singapore. She passed her medical on September 2nd. No passport request. I am really worried.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
kalpan said:
Dear FKL and other senior members,

My wife is completed her study and going to apply PG work permit soon in December 2016. I am working full time job in canada on dependent work permit issued which is same date as my wife's study permit expiry date.

My question is, Can I apply extension of my work permit along with her PG work permit or Do I need to wait until she receives her PG work permit?

If I want to apply together, weather she needs any full time job? Please suggest.
Hi Kalpan,

This is a controversial but pretty frequent situation.

By book, your spouse is required to have a skilled job offer. Only then your SOWP can be applied for along with it.

In reality this is frequently the case with almost every couple who came here with PA being student and dependent spouse getting a SOWP.

One routine practice is that the dependent spouse (i.e. in your case, you), applies and gets a TRV while their principal spouse gets a skilled job offer too.

But this means you cannot continue working for that time frame, so it might create issues.

From what i have heard / read on this forum, many people have gone to border to get their PGWP and SOWP together and have been successful even when the principal spouse doesn't have a skilled job offer yet.

The key is to go together, take all documentation along including proof that you, the dependent spouse has been working (job offer, pay stubs etc.) and need to continue working to support the couple.

Still it could go either way. If they refuse then you aren't any better than before i.e. come back to Canada and apply for TRV to extend your status while providing proof of stopping work at the expiry of current WP.