+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
fkl said:
1. You can apply on line or on paper. Either way the application will be processed in India and processing time from there would apply.
2. Yes
3. I don't know for sure. Each embassy has different practices, check with CIC Delhi though it would be listed on their website. Medicals are mandatory - whether they are upfront or not is what I am not sure of. Since you mentioned BOWP, it means your PR application is in process. If your spouse was already included you might reuse the same medicals.

Though you should know that if your spouse wasn't included in your PR application, and you become a PR, she cannot apply for SOWP.

4. When you fill the questionnaire it would generate the required docs. Gather them first and ask specific questions.
Thanks fkl for your quick response. I have included spouse in the PR application but haven't submitted spouse medicals. So I can fill this questionnaire online right? Also I already have a mycic account can I just apply from that or create a new account for spouse and submit application from that?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
AEE11 said:
Thanks fkl for your quick response. I have included spouse in the PR application but haven't submitted spouse medicals. So I can fill this questionnaire online right? Also I already have a mycic account can I just apply from that or create a new account for spouse and submit application from that?
You are most welcome. If spouse is included in your application (I assume you got married after applying or something, otherwise submitting upfront medicals with Express entry application would have been mandatory), then you could reuse the same medicals.

You could have used the same my cic account if you were also applying for yourself, which is not the case. So you have to create a separate account for your spouse.

The questionnaire is "come to Canada wizard" where you try answering as a worker with dependent SOWP. The docs would be like proof of relationship (for recent marriage just marriage certificate IS NOT enough), your work permit (existing as well as proof of having applied for extension), proof of your job being skilled and preferably something recent showing you are currently working (pay stub, t4 etc.) would suffice.

However, if you were applying for your own BOWP too from your my cic, you could have used the same account and submit application for your spouse.

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
fkl said:
You are most welcome. If spouse is included in your application (I assume you got married after applying or something, otherwise submitting upfront medicals with Express entry application would have been mandatory), then you could reuse the same medicals.

You could have used the same my cic account if you were also applying for yourself, which is not the case. So you have to create a separate account for your spouse.

The questionnaire is "come to Canada wizard" where you try answering as a worker with dependent SOWP. The docs would be like proof of relationship (for recent marriage just marriage certificate IS NOT enough), your work permit (existing as well as proof of having applied for extension), proof of your job being skilled and preferably something recent showing you are currently working (pay stub, t4 etc.) would suffice.

However, if you were applying for your own BOWP too from your my cic, you could have used the same account and submit application for your spouse.
Thanks again. I have submitted my PR application in OLD CEC in August 2014. After submission got married and added spouse. I have already submitted my BOWP using my CIC account and waiting for it to be processed.

Please correct me if I understood it wrong, with my situation - for Spouse SOWP, I have to create a new CIC account for spouse and submit it right?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
AEE11 said:
Thanks again. I have submitted my PR application in OLD CEC in August 2014. After submission got married and added spouse. I have already submitted my BOWP using my CIC account and waiting for it to be processed.

Please correct me if I understood it wrong, with my situation - for Spouse SOWP, I have to create a new CIC account for spouse and submit it right?
Oh I see, old application is not that common so certainly it wasn't in my mind. But that actually gives you more time and getting SOWP makes sense.

Yes you have to apply separately through a new my cic account since there is no way to submit a "dependent only" application in my cic. Your spouse now would be the applicant, just that where it says the type of application, you would choose "Open work permit" and in employer details, would write "Not applicable - Spousal OWP" and attach all of docs that I mentioned earlier.

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
fkl said:
Oh I see, old application is not that common so certainly it wasn't in my mind. But that actually gives you more time and getting SOWP makes sense.

Yes you have to apply separately through a new my cic account since there is no way to submit a "dependent only" application in my cic. Your spouse now would be the applicant, just that where it says the type of application, you would choose "Open work permit" and in employer details, would write "Not applicable - Spousal OWP" and attach all of docs that I mentioned earlier.
Thanks alot. I'll check back with you once I accumulate all the required documents and have any questions. +1 for you.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
AEE11 said:
Thanks alot. I'll check back with you once I accumulate all the required documents and have any questions. +1 for you.
You are most welcome and thanks

samahkhaled

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
Hello Everyone
I applied for BOWP under AOR from my CEC program , my children have student visa and it will expire at 17th March , I am expecting my extension at April , What should I do for them ? Restoring their visas or applying for their student extension ? My work permit will expire in March and i will be in implied status , But what about them , I really don't know how to do

Jazz67

Feb 16, 2016
Hi guy..
Can anyone plz help me understanding the processing time for Sowp online application in india...i have applied 4 months ago on 20 oct but still no update..when i check the processing time it says 2 months in india... What's going on..what should i do ..

Cansh

Jan 7, 2015
Jazz67 said:
Hi guy..
Can anyone plz help me understanding the processing time for Sowp online application in india...i have applied 4 months ago on 20 oct but still no update..when i check the processing time it says 2 months in india... What's going on..what should i do ..
Hi Jazz67,

If you applied online in Delhi office the waiting times are 130+ days. So you must be on your way soon. I applied on 1Dec and same case.

Jazz67

Feb 16, 2016
Cansh said:
Hi Jazz67,

If you applied online in Delhi office the waiting times are 130+ days. So you must be on your way soon. I applied on 1Dec and same case.
Hi cansh,
Thank u for the info.. Lets see whats gonna happen..

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samahkhaled said:
Hello Everyone
I applied for BOWP under AOR from my CEC program , my children have student visa and it will expire at 17th March , I am expecting my extension at April , What should I do for them ? Restoring their visas or applying for their student extension ? My work permit will expire in March and i will be in implied status , But what about them , I really don't know how to do
You actually should have applied for extension of your kids status along with your BOWP application. Still you should do that now - before the expiry of their current study permits.

Restoration of status is only filed when you go out of status i.e. haven't applied for extension before its expiry. You have to pay extra fee, have to do it within 90 days of expiry of status and also need to justify to CIC why you actually went out of status without having applied.

Ideally one should never be in restoration state. Just like you are in implied status, submit your kids application with proof of your BOWP application as well as other details before their current ones expire. They will also be in implied status until the decision.

Wasty

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Express entry
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Done
Hello seniors, and FLK.
Thanks so much for the wonderful insight you people are giving us. I have a couple of questions, I don't know if I am in the right place. I am here in Canada on an Open Work Permit because my wife is on study permit. I have been working for the past one year and some months. My company cannot get me LMIA for PR purposes because they are afraid they might get into some kinda trouble. Now our visas will expire on December 2016. My wife might not finish her school by then because she took a semester off due to personal issues and the school granted her that.

Now my question is, Will I be able to extend my Open Work Permit on my own, or my wife would have to extend her study permit in order for me to extend mine?
My company is willing to give me all supporting documents and sign all papers for us if it is allowed to extend my open work permit. By then I can buy enough time for my AINP to be drawn
If she will have to extend her study permit, will she have to show a huge amount of proof of funds?

Thanks guys

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cansh said:
Hi Jazz67,

Hi

Is it the waiting times same for Delhi and Chandigarh . Where did you find this info as online processing time is showing 2 months.
Did you both @Cansh & @jazz67 apply with upfront medicals.

Thanks in advance

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Wasty said:
Hello seniors, and FLK.
Thanks so much for the wonderful insight you people are giving us. I have a couple of questions, I don't know if I am in the right place. I am here in Canada on an Open Work Permit because my wife is on study permit. I have been working for the past one year and some months. My company cannot get me LMIA for PR purposes because they are afraid they might get into some kinda trouble. Now our visas will expire on December 2016. My wife might not finish her school by then because she took a semester off due to personal issues and the school granted her that.

Now my question is, Will I be able to extend my Open Work Permit on my own, or my wife would have to extend her study permit in order for me to extend mine?
My company is willing to give me all supporting documents and sign all papers for us if it is allowed to extend my open work permit. By then I can buy enough time for my AINP to be drawn
If she will have to extend her study permit, will she have to show a huge amount of proof of funds?

Thanks guys
You can apply for open work permit extension on the basis of your wife's study permit. If she is allowed extension (I don't know if a student does not complete his/her degree with in study permit time, if they let they extend it or not - since I have never looked at that, but most likely it will be allowed as long as she proves she is at a reasonable stage of her study program and has a good chance of completing her degree program. So if she can apply for study permit extension, you can both submit application together. Obviously CIC would require proof of funds for the remainder of her studies plus her cost of living. Also will be your cost of living added to it. After all you guys would need to pay for these expenses any way.

If you have a decent job that has been on going for a year or so, referencing that as a factor might help positively to some extent. It cannot be totally accepted by CIC as a replacement of proof of funds since that only happens for LMIA based jobs. But it would certainly carry some weightage.

Though I am curious that after working here for more than a year and still having about 8-9 months left in your current work permit, don't you have any means to apply for permanent residence?

Jazz67

Feb 16, 2016
rkapoor said:
Hi

Is it the waiting times same for Delhi and Chandigarh . Where did you find this info as online processing time is showing 2 months.
Did you both @Cansh & @jazz67 apply with upfront medicals.

Thanks in advance
Hi
Yes i applied with upfront medical...on cic website, under processing time it says 2 months for india.. But It doesn't say which visa office.. Delhi or chandigarh