+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Jasmohra

Jan 10, 2013
b4ahmad said:
I am in similar boat, I will suggest you wait for your extension first and then apply for her SOWP, dont go for visitor visa, to the best of my knowledge it has high chances of rejections, so wait first and collect all related documents from employer and then apply for her open work permit.

BTW, I just completed my studies, and have job offer in NOC A and I am going to apply my PGWP and my wife's Open work permit together online. I am very much hopeful she will get her SOWP this time: NOTE: 2x Visitor visa refused already, this will be 3rd application to CIC.
I hope it helps.

Hi ...Please keep me updated about your situation. I myself think now that it is better to wait than to rush things.

I am wondering about how can we make an application in canada when the person for whom the application is made is in his home country?
Secondly, how long is it taking to apply for sowp in canada and for applications made in India? The site has become weird about processing times.

Thanks and regards

Jasmohra

Jan 10, 2013
Navprateek said:
you can check your NOC code here http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/html/Matrix.html. And for SOWP if your wife apply it from home country it doesn't take that long. You can check the open work permit processing times from CIC website. I will suggest to apply it from home country as she is not in Canada and through paper application.
I am not sure what you meant by dependant Visa. If you are taking about visitor visa I think its a risk as there'sone rejection already on a TRV.
Thanks Navprateek. Did u apply on your own or hired a lawyer? was it online or paper application? And your VO in that case?

syed_muzaffar

Jan 12, 2016
Long way to go Man :) we had applied in June Medical Passed in Dec but not get any response on that its been 1.5 months, dont know why they are taking too much time on SWOP, Any Suggestion what to do ? and what others are going to do? wait or will send inquiry

Cansh

Jan 7, 2015
Vasantam said:
I got request for passport today. Does it mean that I got OWP? I think they are processing december first week applications now.
Hi,

Did you apply online or paper based? And from which office? I made a online application on 1stDec2015 from delhi office. Still no updates.

Batman4789

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Hi fkl,

I am getting married next month feb 17. as soon as i come back to Canada, i want to apply for SWOP. what are the steps to apply?
I am currently working as a mechanical design engineer in a company more that 9 months and i am in my post graduate work permit which is valid till sep 2018. i am confused wat to do .....
i have not yet applied for PNP or PR thinking it would be best if i bring my spouse here and then apply for PR.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Batman4789 said:
Hi fkl,

I am getting married next month feb 17. as soon as i come back to Canada, i want to apply for SWOP. what are the steps to apply?
I am currently working as a mechanical design engineer in a company more that 9 months and i am in my post graduate work permit which is valid till sep 2018. i am confused wat to do .....
i have not yet applied for PNP or PR thinking it would be best if i bring my spouse here and then apply for PR.
Hi Batman,

Firstly, you cannot apply. It is your spouse who would apply (whether you submit application on line or on paper). So technically you can fill forms for him/her and submit online. But it would still be processed by the embassy which caters your spouse's current country of residence / citizenship and the processing time from there applies.

You need a) A detailed letter from your employer outlining your duties, title, salary etc. in enough detail for CIC to unmistakably conclude that you hold a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B). Just saying mechanical engineer isn't enough. It should kind of correspond to the details listed on HRSDC website for your NOC.

b) Then you need proof of relationship - enough details (apart from marriage certificate, pictures, marriage event details, some contact logs (chats, emails etc.)) for showing genuineness of relationship since you are only getting married now. If you had been married for a while or married before coming to Canada or had kids, none of this would be needed.

The above are the most important things in addition to regular work permit docs requirements. Just state work permit type as open and fill "Not Applicable - Spousal Open work permit" in employment details in work permit application.

All the best.

Roopa.gr

Dec 11, 2013
4th time lucky :D
By god's grace I have finally received my SOWP approval after a very long wait & previous 3 visitor visa refusals.

Application submitted - 18th Dec,15 (@ VFS Bangalore with upfront medicals & passport)
Approval email received - 19th Jan,16
Passport - currently dispatched

My request to everyone planning their move to Canada... Dream BIG & Don't give up on your dreams under any circumstance. Ensure that your application is extremely strong with all relevant papers. Incase of prior refusals, seek CAIPS/GCMS notes before applying again.

All the best & I pray to god that all deserving applicants get their approvals soon.

jijialex

Star Member
Nov 10, 2013
Roopa.gr said:
4th time lucky :D
By god's grace I have finally received my SOWP approval after a very long wait & previous 3 visitor visa refusals.

Application submitted - 18th Dec,15 ( @ VFS Bangalore with upfront medicals & passport)
Approval email received - 19th Jan,16
Passport - currently dispatched

My request to everyone planning their move to Canada... Dream BIG & Don't give up on your dreams under any circumstance. Ensure that your application is extremely strong with all relevant papers. Incase of prior refusals, seek CAIPS/GCMS notes before applying again.

All the best & I pray to god that all deserving applicants get their approvals soon.
Congrats, please provide before status and what are the documents submitted in Bangalore

Batman4789

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
fkl said:
Hi Batman,

Firstly, you cannot apply. It is your spouse who would apply (whether you submit application on line or on paper). So technically you can fill forms for him/her and submit online. But it would still be processed by the embassy which caters your spouse's current country of residence / citizenship and the processing time from there applies.

You need a) A detailed letter from your employer outlining your duties, title, salary etc. in enough detail for CIC to unmistakably conclude that you hold a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B). Just saying mechanical engineer isn't enough. It should kind of correspond to the details listed on HRSDC website for your NOC.

b) Then you need proof of relationship - enough details (apart from marriage certificate, pictures, marriage event details, some contact logs (chats, emails etc.)) for showing genuineness of relationship since you are only getting married now. If you had been married for a while or married before coming to Canada or had kids, none of this would be needed.

The above are the most important things in addition to regular work permit docs requirements. Just state work permit type as open and fill "Not Applicable - Spousal Open work permit" in employment details in work permit application.

All the best.
i have few more questions..... what is the process timing for SWOP.

and the next question is as i have all the documents why should i apply for my PR adding spouse in my application? if i can apply what must i do and wat is the processing time?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Batman4789 said:
i have few more questions..... what is the process timing for SWOP.

and the next question is as i have all the documents why should i apply for my PR adding spouse in my application? if i can apply what must i do and wat is the processing time?
Sure, processing time depends upon your spouse's current country of residence based upon which embassy caters that. It is listed on cic's website for work permit processing times (E.g. it is 2 months from india, 8 months from Pakistan etc. right now).

You certainly can apply for PR adding your spouse to it. You would just add him/her like a dependent and assuming you score high enough to get an ITA in the current PR system quickly, it should take max 6 months afterwards.
The only difference would be that you have to inform CIC for each of you being in a different location, so you get passport requests from local visa offices (e.g. you are in Canada so get PPR from CPC Ottawa vs spouse being in say india (or another country) so would get PPR from there.

Scoring high enough to get ITA or not depends upon several things. If you have an LMIA based job (which you don't coz you are on a PGWP) or if you have a provincial nomination, you get 600 extra points.

Even if you don't have those, but have Canadian education and experience and are relatively young, you should score 450 or more points easily in Express entry points system called CRS, which kind of has a very good chance of getting invite (ITA). 6 month processing time is from the day you submit the actual application (AFTER getting ITA)