+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

rkapoor

Feb 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
loomingtiger said:
If you've done upfront medical, you will be given by the clinic a form which you will attach when you apply for work permit.
and if we don't want to go with the upfront medical then, because even after answering NO to the question regarding medical its giving me the option "Request for Medical" to upload

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys,

I need your help with something.

My wife has been approved Open Work Permit. Is it a good idea that she ravels alone to Canada, or should I accompany her?

If she can come alone, which documents should she have and what kind of questions should she be expecting ?

Thanks in advance.

- Subtain

Nov 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I have recently completed my M.Sc and got 3 years PGWP. Actually I am from Pakistan and I want to apply my SOWP. Which documents I need to apply for my spouse's application. If some one can help me its highly appreciable. :) one more thing, I got marriage in December 2013 before I came in Canada and didn't go back in last 2 years.

Best wishes,
Muhammad

Nov 28, 2015
Hi guys,

I have recently completed my M.Sc and got 3 years PGWP. I forgot mention about my job in last post. I am starting my job as full time under skilled NOC A category. Actually I am from Pakistan and I want to apply my SOWP. Which documents I need to apply for my spouse's application and when should I apply? If some one can help me its highly appreciable. one more thing, I got marriage in December 2013 before I came in Canada and didn't go back in last 2 years.

Best wishes,
Muhammad

Bill-doll

Dec 25, 2015
Hello Experts

Kindly help me by providing your comments or suggestions for below mentioned problem I am facing

Problem
My spouse visa application is rejected twice. When I received the detailed notes CAIPS. I found that my UCI has been matched/linked with 2 of the previous applicants who's visa is rejected . Reason being that my name and DOB matches with the other 2 applicants. In nut shell, all the three applicants shared same UCI. It seems that the previous application has been rejected based on false submissions.

But this is the first time have applied with all legitimate documents. Visa Officer refused my application thinking that I am the one who previously applied.

Kindly tell me how can I communicate to CIC that this is the first time I have applied and I have no connection to previous applications.
Your help will be highly appreciated.

loomingtiger

Star Member
Jul 27, 2015
Visa Office......
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 12,2015
Doc's Request.
Oct 12, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30,2015
Bill-doll said:
Hello Experts

Kindly help me by providing your comments or suggestions for below mentioned problem I am facing

Problem
My spouse visa application is rejected twice. When I received the detailed notes CAIPS. I found that my UCI has been matched/linked with 2 of the previous applicants who's visa is rejected . Reason being that my name and DOB matches with the other 2 applicants. In nut shell, all the three applicants shared same UCI. It seems that the previous application has been rejected based on false submissions.

But this is the first time have applied with all legitimate documents. Visa Officer refused my application thinking that I am the one who previously applied.

Kindly tell me how can I communicate to CIC that this is the first time I have applied and I have no connection to previous applications.
Your help will be highly appreciated.
You better consult an immigration lawyer as your case is already complicated. Even you contact CIC and tell them that you did not apply on those previous applications I doubt if they would right away. You have to act on it immediately cause it will affect your future applications.

Hammer

Oct 9, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2016
Nomination.....
15-09-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
18-03-2016
Med's Request
01-09-2016
Med's Done....
13-09-2016
Passport Req..
02-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2016
LANDED..........
13-12-2016
fkl said:
You have several possibilities depending upon when your PR process gets completed vs when you get married.

a) A spouse of a skilled worker is eligible for SOWP provided the job is skilled - i.e. NOC 0, A or B. Yours is, so you can apply for his SOWP immediately after marriage.

b) However, the other option is to add him to your PR application via notifying CIC. When you had applied for PR it clearly tells you that you immediately need to notify CIC of a change in your circumstances, primarily marriage. You can do this even if your PR has been approved i.e. you have received COPR but you haven't landed yet but gotten married now.

c) You have landed as a PR and get married after that. In that case your spouse is no longer eligible for SOWP and you have to apply for Spousal Sponsorship which could take a long time. Recently there have been suggested changes of granting work permits to Spouse of PRs but it is not in place yet and Spousal sponsorship can take any length of time since that is not processed via express entry.

So the best course of action for you is first b) and then a). Avoid c) at any cost.

This translates into

1. If you receive COPR before getting married, just delay your landing, get married and then intimate CIC of change i.e. marriage. They are going to ask for all documents of your spouse as well as medicals. Once that is done they would issue you a new COPR.

Careful though, if there is a problem in your spouse's medical or any thing else, you might be denied PR entirely.

2. If your PR still remains in process and you get married, just add your spouse to your PR application. If it seems to be taking too long, your spouse can get a SOWP meanwhile.

However, depending upon where you are applying from, currently SOWP might take equal or longer than EE based PR process. So this may not be of any use.

But if your spouse is from a visa exempt country, he might get a work permit at the border when landing in Canada.

Lastly, do not try to delay informing CIC in any way of marriage. The truth always prevails and is the best course of action. But if you don't want to risk/delay your PR because of your spouse, you can always delay your marriage until your PR is completed and landed.

The disadvantage is that spousal sponsorship after that will take a long time and he will not be eligible for SOWP, unless CIC puts new rules in practice.
Hi Fkl,

I wanted to take more info on it as I will also have same situation in 2 months from now. I already got so many questions answered through reading this forum. However, my question is - as it says on cic ..sowp can b applied if principal spouse has work permit valid for more than 6 months. So which date they will take in to consideration to calculate 6 months time period- Date she filed sowp or date they actually opened the file for review? I feel like it will be date the file was sent as its been similar for other cic application but I wanted to make sure.
Secondly , does processing time differs between online and paper application ? Although both applications are to be considered - Application made outside Canada ( Processing time for visa office India New Delhi is 2 months )

Thanks for help !!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
subtain said:
Hi guys,

I need your help with something.

My wife has been approved Open Work Permit. Is it a good idea that she ravels alone to Canada, or should I accompany her?

If she can come alone, which documents should she have and what kind of questions should she be expecting ?

Thanks in advance.

- Subtain
Sure she can come alone. Totally your choice.

If she comes alone she should carry her identifications of course, proof of relationship, a copy of your work permit and preferably something recent to show your current status e.g. a recent pay stub that you are employed.

And of course she should have your address and phone number.

Apart from above she needs her letter of introduction (the approval letter CIC sent regarding her work permit). Every thing i wrote above is precautionary and most likely wont be asked for.

But this letter of introduction is what CBSA would ask for and issue the actual work permit based upon info in that.

Good luck

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
3300 said:
Hi guys,

I have recently completed my M.Sc and got 3 years PGWP. I forgot mention about my job in last post. I am starting my job as full time under skilled NOC A category. Actually I am from Pakistan and I want to apply my SOWP. Which documents I need to apply for my spouse's application and when should I apply? If some one can help me its highly appreciable. one more thing, I got marriage in December 2013 before I came in Canada and didn't go back in last 2 years.

Best wishes,
Muhammad
You should follow the standard guide procedure referred online as "Application for work permit"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

Some difference would be that the type of work permit would be open - SOWP and details of intended employment would be "Not applicable".

In addition to normal docs that it asks, you need to provide enough documentation (detailed job offer letter + pay stub) to clearly prove that you hold a NOC A job (else a PGWP holder is not eligible for SOWP).

Since you haven't lived together much - you need to provide substantial evidence of marriage. Just certificate won't do. You need to provide proof of regular contact, call / chat logs / pictures from the event etc.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hammer said:
Hi Fkl,

I wanted to take more info on it as I will also have same situation in 2 months from now. I already got so many questions answered through reading this forum. However, my question is - as it says on cic ..sowp can b applied if principal spouse has work permit valid for more than 6 months. So which date they will take in to consideration to calculate 6 months time period- Date she filed sowp or date they actually opened the file for review? I feel like it will be date the file was sent as its been similar for other cic application but I wanted to make sure.
Secondly , does processing time differs between online and paper application ? Although both applications are to be considered - Application made outside Canada ( Processing time for visa office India New Delhi is 2 months )

Thanks for help !!
Hi Hammer,

a) It totally depends. I have seen cases where people applied with 8 month lefts in wp expiry, got processed fast and received wp when there were six months left. I have also seen cases which applied when 10 months were left and were refused after 4+ months. So its hard to say what would happen here actually. There is no formal guideline. But i believe you do know that as part of landing CIC would collect any existing work permits you might have and they won't be valid any more.

b) Processing time might be slightly faster for online app in general - by a week max though visa office would be the same. Though i remember in India 6 months or so ago - there was quite a hype regarding docs being faked for online applications and i think i read on the forum that every body was being asked to mail originals and lots of online apps were refused. It was a unique situation though and i believe its over now. But just look at relevant threads too from the visa office.

Hammer

Oct 9, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2016
Nomination.....
15-09-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
18-03-2016
Med's Request
01-09-2016
Med's Done....
13-09-2016
Passport Req..
02-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2016
LANDED..........
13-12-2016
fkl said:
Hi Hammer,

a) It totally depends. I have .......,, "But i believe you do know that as part of landing CIC would collect any existing work permits you might have and they won't be valid any more."
Thanks for fast reply :)

I am confused about your mentioning of landing in this case. As I only have one work permit valid till Oct 2016 which will be used for SOWP. Sorry , How does this relates to this situation ? I am kind of lost here now.

Pilot_to_be

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, i hope someone can help me. I recently got a student visa and my fiance also got a visitor visa. After we got the visas we got married and i want to bring my wife with me in Canada. Does she gets automatically an open work permit since she already has the visitor visa??
Please someone advice me

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hammer said:
Thanks for fast reply :)

I am confused about your mentioning of landing in this case. As I only have one work permit valid till Oct 2016 which will be used for SOWP. Sorry , How does this relates to this situation ? I am kind of lost here now.
You are welcome. I was answering in the context of your last question. You said you have applied for PR already (in process) so it is possible you get it approved by the time you get married. LANDING was related to completion of your PR. I just wanted to clarify that all work permit (and related dependencies) are lost once you become a PR.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Pilot_to_be said:
Hi, i hope someone can help me. I recently got a student visa and my fiance also got a visitor visa. After we got the visas we got married and i want to bring my wife with me in Canada. Does she gets automatically an open work permit since she already has the visitor visa??
Please someone advice me
Assuming your fiancee got visitor visa independent of your status, you both can come to Canada and apply for a SOWP from inside Canada.

You can also apply for that in your home country. But then you would have to wait for the processing time. However, you also have to wait for the processing time while in side Canada (which is currently around 4 months).

There is nothing automatic. If you were from a visa exempt country, you could have gotten that SOWP at the border upon entering Canada. But that doesn't apply to you since you are not visa exempt.

Aman Puri

Dec 26, 2015
Hello all:

There were too many posts to follow, so i decided to ask.

I will get married sometime next year in India. I have OWP till 2018. I would like to apply for OWP for my spouse and wanted to know what all documentations would be required and what other formalities it involves. I wont be visiting India for a long time as i am working full time, therefore want to plan everything in advance so that it doesn't take her long to come here. Also, if anyone know s how much is the processing time in Delhi for SOWP. I am looking for an idea, how much total time it will take from getting a marriage certificate and all documentations ready in DELHI so that i could plan accordingly.

Thanks a lot people.