+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
fkl said:
Sure she can come alone. Totally your choice.

If she comes alone she should carry her identifications of course, proof of relationship, a copy of your work permit and preferably something recent to show your current status e.g. a recent pay stub that you are employed.

And of course she should have your address and phone number.

Apart from above she needs her letter of introduction (the approval letter CIC sent regarding her work permit). Every thing i wrote above is precautionary and most likely wont be asked for.

But this letter of introduction is what CBSA would ask for and issue the actual work permit based upon info in that.

Good luck
Thanks a lot. One more concern. Should she have a return ticket or one way ticket? Tickets are expensive right now so would like to take only one way, but m concerned the CBSA might consider it dual intent..

shilpasarawagi

Dec 22, 2015
Greetings for the holiday season! Hope everyone is doing well.

My spouse is working in Canada on a Temporary Work Permit NOC-A (2173) which is valid till 30th September 2016. I want to apply for an Open Work Permit so that i can go and live with him and work simultaneously once in Canada. I have collected following documents for my SOWP application -

My documents -
1.Passport
2.Digital Photo
3.Work Permit Application Outside of Canada (IMM1295E)
4.Proof of relationship: Marriage Certificate + Pictures etc.
5.Upfront medical exam e-medical certificate.

Proof of support in Canada (Spouse's documents)
1.His Employment letter and recent payslips
2.Income Tax Return: Notice of Assessment
3.Bank statement: previous 3 months and current savings
4.Accommodation support: lease/rental agreement and utility bills

My Supporting Document
1.Current employment letter and 3 recent payslips.
2.Bachelor degree and other educational documents.
3.Bank statements for last 3 months and savings.

Apart from the above mentioned documents do I also need following documents ?
1.Police clearance certificate?
2.Return air tickets to and from Canada for around September 2016?
3.Do I need to show ties to my home country in any way? In all honesty I won't be able to get such a long leave from my work place and that's why I plan to resign before leaving for Canada from my current Job.

I would also like to mention that an immigration lawyer mentioned to me that the Spouse open work permit will not work as I am currently not in Canada. Is that right? As I see many fellow forum members who have applied an outland SOWP application and got one. I am a bit confused!

Can any kind soul answer my queries at their convenience?

Thanks a ton!

Pilot_to_be

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
Assuming your fiancee got visitor visa independent of your status, you both can come to Canada and apply for a SOWP from inside Canada.

You can also apply for that in your home country. But then you would have to wait for the processing time. However, you also have to wait for the processing time while in side Canada (which is currently around 4 months).

There is nothing automatic. If you were from a visa exempt country, you could have gotten that SOWP at the border upon entering Canada. But that doesn't apply to you since you are not visa exempt.
Thank you for the reply. I meant by automatic that, is there a chance of refusal for the work permit because in cic it says they need only the marriage certificate and my study permit to process the work permit. No supporting documents. That is why i am concerned. Since she is not in Canada right now, can she still apply from inside Canada? Because she is working right now and she cannot quite the job before getting the work. Moreover the processing time for abu dhabi office is 9 month.
Please let me know if you have any info regarding this

Mohit_ind

Dec 18, 2015
Hi guys... Seems some real advisors here.

Firstly I would like to brief you all with my case.
My wife is in canada on a study permit with my 14 month old daughter for next two years for her PG.
I hold a valid visitor visa for canada too.
I am a post graduate in management but have no job experience as since beginning I am into business.
I am a self employed person dealing into imports of recyclable meta scrap for india and neighboring countries which is mainly a brokerage between big mills and scrap yards in various countries. My travel history is great with over 25 trips overseas to all developed developing and under developed ones.

Now I need to apply for SOWP as firstly my daughter is not able to settle down properly in the day care so my wife badly needs me to stay for some time until she finishes her PG, secondly with a SOWP I can well do my trade too from canada as even canada is a source for our supplies.
My question here is should I enter canada and then apply for SOWP or should I apply for the same from my india and then visit canada.
Lastly my wife's aunt is in canada who's a citizen since last 35-40 years and she had actually sponsored my wife's stay n expenses and will happily send any document or letter of sponsorship for my application too. She is well settled and owns property in canada which is just occupied by my wife n her.
Would love to have your valuable response on my situation.
Thanks well in advance.

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Hi rKapoor,

my husband applied for his SOWP as a paper application at vfs New delhi on 21st dec. Looking at other posts it looks like they are processing the applications submitted in early november so far.

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Hello Everyone and a Happy new Year !!

I am new to this forum and after spending lot of time I have finally found a thread that might be really helpful.

Here is my situation: I cam to Toronto as an international student (From India) in August 2013 for September Intake. Just graduated from college with diploma in April 2015 and got my PGWP in Sept 2015 which is valid until Sept 2018. Recently started working as an IT Professional in Toronto.

I have been in a long distance relationship for 2 years now and had a chance to visit her only once in Aug 2014 (visit back home). We are going to get married in November 2016 as I would be completing a year in my job and would be financially strong to get her here.

I have read through almost ALL the 118 pages and have figured things out but just to be sure following are my questions:

1) Once I go back home for marriage and get married, how can I get her here along with me (it will be 2 yr 11 months having seen her by then)

2) Can she apply for a Visitor visa by herself without stating that she is going to get married, come here and then we apply for SOWP ?

3) while applying for Visitor, her marital status on passport would be SINGLE, any problem once we apply for SOWP? can i get the status changed if she is here on visitor??

I know Nov 2016 is quite far but I wish to plan everything ahead of time so when I am back home for marriage in november for 10 days (wont get more off from work) we can finish all the rituals and head back to canada.

Any suggestions, advise will help alot as I would have to plan according to the option I go far and be ready.

Thank you everyone and all the best for all who await the decisions.. !!

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
fkl said:
Assuming your fiancee got visitor visa independent of your status, you both can come to Canada and apply for a SOWP from inside Canada.

You can also apply for that in your home country. But then you would have to wait for the processing time. However, you also have to wait for the processing time while in side Canada (which is currently around 4 months).

There is nothing automatic. If you were from a visa exempt country, you could have gotten that SOWP at the border upon entering Canada. But that doesn't apply to you since you are not visa exempt.
so if she comes here on visitors as you mentioned above, when we apply for SOWP wont they ask for proof about marriage?? my case is going to be similar as I am on PGWP and getting married in Nov 2016. Provided the rules dont change, my fiancee can get her visitors by herself before we get married in nov 2016 -> i go there, we get married and get her here wth me -> once we land, I apply for SOWP.

what about change of marital status in passport?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
Hello Everyone and a Happy new Year !!

I am new to this forum and after spending lot of time I have finally found a thread that might be really helpful.

Here is my situation: I cam to Toronto as an international student (From India) in August 2013 for September Intake. Just graduated from college with diploma in April 2015 and got my PGWP in Sept 2015 which is valid until Sept 2018. Recently started working as an IT Professional in Toronto.

I have been in a long distance relationship for 2 years now and had a chance to visit her only once in Aug 2014 (visit back home). We are going to get married in November 2016 as I would be completing a year in my job and would be financially strong to get her here.

I have read through almost ALL the 118 pages and have figured things out but just to be sure following are my questions:

1) Once I go back home for marriage and get married, how can I get her here along with me (it will be 2 yr 11 months having seen her by then)

2) Can she apply for a Visitor visa by herself without stating that she is going to get married, come here and then we apply for SOWP ?

3) while applying for Visitor, her marital status on passport would be SINGLE, any problem once we apply for SOWP? can i get the status changed if she is here on visitor??

I know Nov 2016 is quite far but I wish to plan everything ahead of time so when I am back home for marriage in november for 10 days (wont get more off from work) we can finish all the rituals and head back to canada.

Any suggestions, advise will help alot as I would have to plan according to the option I go far and be ready.

Thank you everyone and all the best for all who await the decisions.. !!
If she can get a visitor visa before you guys get married then you can apply for SOWP in Canada ony after she landing here for a visit.
Martial status won't be an issue coz I remember reading an article it was mentioned the only way to change your martial status is when you renew our passport and it doesn't really matter as long as you have a valid marriage certificate.

I will suggest to apply for a visitor visa before getting married - incase it doesnt work the way we expect apply for SOWP after marriage from India only. keep the supporting docs wchh can prove the 2 year relation like chats pictures from visit etc etc

Hope it helps

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
Thank you Nav,

Well I have all the whatsapp chats, emails, a book written for her over 2 years which i would give once married, pictures etc etc. Should these be enough? Also, once she is a media person, does content writing and has her own travel blog. She was working a full time job until April 2015 but has been doing more than well with freelancing.

Would this affect ther visitor application by reason saying "not enough ties with home country" etc etc??

If so, what do you think should I provide as a support document?

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
Thank you Nav,

Well I have all the whatsapp chats, emails, a book written for her over 2 years which i would give once married, pictures etc etc. Should these be enough? Also, once she is a media person, does content writing and has her own travel blog. She was working a full time job until April 2015 but has been doing more than well with freelancing.

Would this affect ther visitor application by reason saying "not enough ties with home country" etc etc??

If so, what do you think should I provide as a support document?
First of all to apply for a visitor visa she needs a valid reason for going to canada and then all supporting docs proving that she will be coming back to India for ties to home country docs like property, parents, busi if any. having a job is not something mandatory but its always an asset to prove more strong bonding to home country. If she has any relatives here she can apply to make a visit a them for some ceremony or anything like that.
If your grad ceremony is coming any soon she can apply for a visitor visa on that basis as well.

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
my grad ceremony is long gone. She doesnt have any relatives here either.

What might help is, she is a travel blogger, so stating a reason to explore canada in order to improve her blog might be useful.

2) else, i can ask my family friends here to help me in stating that she is visiting them for some reason.

so if she applies on her own individually for a visiter's visa, she wouldnt need any invitation letter from me or any other documents from me??

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
Rv_2311 said:
my grad ceremony is long gone. She doesnt have any relatives here either.

What might help is, she is a travel blogger, so stating a reason to explore canada in order to improve her blog might be useful.

2) else, i can ask my family friends here to help me in stating that she is visiting them for some reason.

so if she applies on her own individually for a visiter's visa, she wouldnt need any invitation letter from me or any other documents from me??
I think she should apply her own without involving you and your family friends. Your family friends sending her an invitation ont make any sense unless you guys are married

Rv_2311

Star Member
Dec 30, 2015
makes sense.

this way she wont be having anyone is Canada whom she can visit. This will be a problem as they would ask for hotel bookings, return tickets etc etc when she has visitor visa process.

Or nothing is needed when she applies??