+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

harbee

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hi,

Anyone recently submitted SOWP from Nigeria?

Hubby's application submitted September 19 online.

Please what is the average processing time?

Dpakhaniya

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan-09-2016
AOR Received.
Jan-09-2016
Dpakhaniya said:
Hi

Help needed

I was on PGWP of 1 year and expired on december 2014. I have one year pharmacy technician (NOC 3219) job experience. I got rejection in AINP due to work permit expiry when they opened my file. Right now i am on implied status as my file for restoration as visitor is still pending. My employer is waiting for LMIA for Pharmacy Technician. I think chances for LMIA is very less

My question is that I am getting married back home in India. My wife want to do study and i want to take SOWP. so can any body please suggest what i will be best way to get SOWP. and in which province she should do her study. My file is in express entry but my points are 379 only.

Should i take study permit and go back india and get married. and both will come on study permit and then apply for SOWP here in canada.?
can anybody help on this?

checkyink

Mar 29, 2015
Hi guys. Is it possible for my spouse who is on SOWP to be eligible for PR after working for a while thanks. I'm currently a PhD student in Sk.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
checkyink said:
Hi guys. Is it possible for my spouse who is on SOWP to be eligible for PR after working for a while thanks. I'm currently a PhD student in Sk.
Yes it is, depending upon what type of job he/she has been doing and for how long.

Generally CEC requires one year of full time work experience in a skilled position NOC 0, A or B. Assuming he/she was on a SOWP you need to provide a very detailed description from the employer for matching with a skilled NOC position.

Another option is that several provinces provide PNPs if you have lived in the province for a while and have a job from an employer in province.

simransandhu7

Aug 11, 2014
Visa Office......
CPC-ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
16-05-2016
Nomination.....
05-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
IELTS Request
--
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
11-11-2017
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
03-09-2014
wanted to know we applied for spouse open work permit from VFS chandigarh on 6 aug 2015, i want to know that my husband's work permit will expire on 18 feb 2016. the rule in CIC website says that the spouse should have a WP valid for atleast 6 months. so as when we applied it was more than six months so will it be ok, or they can reject us for this reason.

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
simransandhu7 said:
wanted to know we applied for spouse open work permit from VFS chandigarh on 6 aug 2015, i want to know that my husband's work permit will expire on 18 feb 2016. the rule in CIC website says that the spouse should have a WP valid for atleast 6 months. so as when we applied it was more than six months so will it be ok, or they can reject us for this reason.
They might refuse it. The best option is for your spouse to apply an extension right away.

checkyink

Mar 29, 2015
fkl said:
Yes it is, depending upon what type of job he/she has been doing and for how long.

Generally CEC requires one year of full time work experience in a skilled position NOC 0, A or B. Assuming he/she was on a SOWP you need to provide a very detailed description from the employer for matching with a skilled NOC position.

Thanks fkl

Another option is that several provinces provide PNPs if you have lived in the province for a while and have a job from an employer in province.

berion

Sep 27, 2015
Hi friends! Long-time reader, first time poster here. Cheesy
Here's my situation, maybe someone could help me.

I hold dual citizenship of Russia and Israel, and am currently living in Israel.
I am planning to move to Canada, specifically to Winnipeg, MB. I have a partner, a fiancee. We've been together for 6 years now and decided to finally reunite.
She is currently in Winnipeg and she spent the past 18 months studying at Red River College there. She graduated in May 2015 and just received her 3-year PGWP. She got a permanent contract and is working as a web/graphic designer (NOC B).
Question 1: 1)Is it better to come to Canada (I don't need a TRV as Israeli citizen) and get married and apply for Spousal OWP straight away FROM Canada OR
2)Apply for OWP as common law partner from Israel (considering that we only Skyped) and phoned each other and only met for several months over these 2 years
Question 2: At some point I will be asked if I applied for canadian visas before. I did apply for Study Permit on my Russian passport and got rejected twice. That was 2 years ago. I will be applying for the Spousal OWP on my Israeli passport. Is it kind of like a clean slate, or do I have to show it in my application?
Question 3: If I come to Canada, we get married and registered and I apply straight away, will the short term of our marriage matter?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. :D

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
berion said:
Hi friends! Long-time reader, first time poster here. Cheesy
Here's my situation, maybe someone could help me.

I hold dual citizenship of Russia and Israel, and am currently living in Israel.
I am planning to move to Canada, specifically to Winnipeg, MB. I have a partner, a fiancee. We've been together for 6 years now and decided to finally reunite.
She is currently in Winnipeg and she spent the past 18 months studying at Red River College there. She graduated in May 2015 and just received her 3-year PGWP. She got a permanent contract and is working as a web/graphic designer (NOC B).
Question 1: 1)Is it better to come to Canada (I don't need a TRV as Israeli citizen) and get married and apply for Spousal OWP straight away FROM Canada OR
2)Apply for OWP as common law partner from Israel (considering that we only Skyped) and phoned each other and only met for several months over these 2 years
Question 2: At some point I will be asked if I applied for canadian visas before. I did apply for Study Permit on my Russian passport and got rejected twice. That was 2 years ago. I will be applying for the Spousal OWP on my Israeli passport. Is it kind of like a clean slate, or do I have to show it in my application?
Question 3: If I come to Canada, we get married and registered and I apply straight away, will the short term of our marriage matter?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. :D
Hi berion,

Without marriage, you have to be living together for at least a year to prove common law. So you are not eligible for SOWP when you are remote.

Hence your only option is to come over and get married and then apply. Since you would be living together and marriage would be registered here, short duration of marriage wont be an issue. You can do that from outside Canada too but CIC generally would ask for more evidence in case of a recent marriage specially if it is held outside of Canada. So things are much simpler to do from Canada.

Keep in mind that your spouse has to be holding at least a NOC B job whose duties should be clearly described in the employment letter to convince CIC that it is indeed a skilled job (Spouse of unskilled job holder is not eligible for SOWP) and wage should be correspondingly appropriate for the NOC and province.

Currently work permit processing time from in side Canada are around 4 months, so keep all of this in mind. Good luck

berion

Sep 27, 2015
Thanks fkl for your quick reply, that't very detailed and confirmed my thoughts.
My fiancee's job title is Graphic designer (code 5241). I believe that will suffice. Do you know how much do we need to show in terms of money (for me and for her)? 10000$ + 4000$?
Also, 4 months comes 132 days from here: Processing times: Temporary Residence, right?
Or is it a 2 step process like for PR?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
berion said:
Thanks fkl for your quick reply, that't very detailed and confirmed my thoughts.
My fiancee's job title is Graphic designer (code 5241). I believe that will suffice. Do you know how much do we need to show in terms of money (for me and for her)? 10000$ + 4000$?
Also, 4 months comes 132 days from here: Processing times: Temporary Residence, right?
Or is it a 2 step process like for PR?
You are most welcome.

Just saying Graphic designer with NOC is the classical mistake and CIC refuses those cases more often than not. The employer should issue a letter stating her duties in enough detail that those could match the official description of that NOC. Also please ask them not to copy the description from HRSDSC website. In soo many of these cases, people get stuck so this is vital.

If your spouse already has a job there is no requirement for funds for work permits. But having them doesn't hurt. Just don't put insanely high amounts of money.

yes it is currently listed as 132 days for applications submitted in side Canada from the link you gave. This period is from the date of submission of work permit application. There is no 2 step process involved for a SOWP.

simransandhu7

Aug 11, 2014
Visa Office......
CPC-ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-03-2015
Doc's Request.
16-05-2016
Nomination.....
05-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-12-2016
IELTS Request
--
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
11-11-2017
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
03-09-2014
i wanted to know that we did not submit any proof regarding that my husband has applied for PNP in our SOWP application, will it make any effect or they will we knowing that?

Yi Yung Joo

Sep 16, 2015
thanks for all who read this post in advance.

I have complicated situation. Story is.... after I graduated the college, I applied PGWP this May. (My student visa expiration date was 30 July). at that time, I haven't realized that my wife can apply work pert together. So I applied PGWP just for me. (This was big mistake). By the way, my wife's visa expiration was 30 July, she applied for visitor visa.(visitor visa application is still processing)

Now. my PGWP approved couple weeks ago and I wants to apply open work permit for my wife. what am I supposed to do?

Please help!

mfm

May 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zain Ali said:
Its been 7 months here..still waiting :/
Hi Zain,

Apparently i can understand how stressful it is to wait for the SOWP. I have been waiting for almost 5 months now. Have you considered for sending a case specific inquiry to CHC Islamabad? As it has been more than 6 months in your case. If you have already done that, did u get any response from them? what is there response if any?