VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Chris_t_ said:
Hey everyone.. Does anyone know if my spouse open work permit will be canceled if my spouse leaving Canada and she goes back to our home country while we are both still have more then 1 year for the work permit??
Not really. They have no way of knowing if you just went on a trip or not. Since she was not working in Canada, there is no tying to employer either (open work permit).

As long as you come back while wp is valid, there shouldn't be an issue - nor there is any other problem unless you try to claim that period being resident of Canada.

Your health card might not be valid since each province has rules about leaving province for more than a certain number of days. E.g. in Quebec you cannot be away for more than 21 days for RAMQ's health coverage to be active if you are on a work permit.

Other than these things you are fine.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
fkl said:
Processing country is either where you currently reside (not as visitor) or your country of citizenship. You can choose india even if you apply online. However, i am not sure how would you send passport for visa stamping and all that if he is currently working in Abudhabi. If you submit paper application in India you would have to submit passport along in original and i am not sure you could do that. So its best to submit online application using india (it would be processed there) and figure out a way to send passport for stamping when CIC asks for it in the end.
My father was in Abu Dhabi and I selected Abu Dhabi as current country of resident for him when I was applying for his visitor's visa to Canada. His application was transmitted to Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and that's where his visa was stamped.

@ pama: Your husband should select current country of resident (Abu Dhabi in his case), this is where his application will be processed.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
se7en said:
My father was in Abu Dhabi and I selected Abu Dhabi as current country of resident for him when I was applying for his visitor's visa to Canada. His application was transmitted to Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and that's where his visa was stamped.

@ pama: Your husband should select current country of resident (Abu Dhabi in his case), this is where his application will be processed.
I am not sure how that relates to the above question.

A) Firstly the original poster wants to AVOID using Abu Dhabi as the embassy of application processing because of longer processing time. He can definitely do so by selecting India since that is his country of citizenship. It is even written on the application form (COUNTRY OF CURRENT LEGAL RESIDENCE OR COUNTRY OF CITIZENSHIP)

B) Applying for visitor visa (6 months or less temp stay) is not the same as applying for work / study permit. Only work permit puts the above condition i.e. cannot apply from a country where you have been admitted only as a visitor. There is no such restriction for visitor visa. The rationale behind is that work permit processing times significantly vary by country. Where as processing time lines of visit visa don't vary that much any where.

Hope that helps

shallu7287

May 29, 2014
Please reply to my post. Should I send a case specific enquiry as my husband hasn't received anything yet. We applied on June 26th from chandigarh vfs.
And fkl this time I am not sending you any pm.. it was posted by me almost a week ago.
If anyone can help it would be a great favour.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
shallu7287 said:
Hi...
I have applied sowp for my husband on June 26th and no updates till date.. its 2 months today. It was paper application at vfs chandigarh. Any clue whom to ask? We prepared the file from a lawyer in Abbotsford.
Hi Shallu,

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp
says chandrigar's current average processing time is 4 months. You shouldn't send a case specific inquiry until 4 months are up and you haven't heard back.

This is the official link for submitting case specific inquiry for that visa office as given on cic's website.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=chandigarh

I took it from here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/chandigarh.asp

Hope that helps.

vagaur

Star Member
Nov 27, 2014
winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2015
Doc's Request.
Husband PCC from Singapore on 15th September
Nomination.....
28-09-2015
AOR Received.
29-02-2016
IELTS Request
already done
File Transfer...
Inland no file transfer
Med's Request
Decmber 8th 2016
Hi All

I am on post graduate work permit and recently got my PNP my husband was dependant in that. I have my work permit until november 2016 and i am currently working, my noc level is C, someone told me that i can apply for my spouse open work permit on the basis of PNP and our PR file in which my husband is dependant. Please advise if thats possible and how many chances are their for approval. If anyone can suggest should i go with paper file or online application and which documents would i need.

Regards

Vagaur

ccccdeb

Sep 1, 2015
Hi Everyone.

I’m sorry if questions like this have been answered before (esp in this thread), but the search process is overwhelming!

I’m an American citizen living in Japan currently engaged to a Japanese citizen. The both of us would like to relocate to Vancouver (or the BC area) in about a years time. We’re currently looking into visa options for the both of us. Ideally, I would like to obtain a work visa, as would my fiancé. However, he has no undergraduate degree, so he’s worried about his prospects. I am also worried about finding someone to sponsor me for a work visa from outside the country as I have no real “marketable skills” like programming, manager experience, etc.

If my fiancé were able to go to Canada on a working holiday visa, would he be able to sponsor me for an open work permit? This would require us to be legally married or be common-law, I realize. The quota for working holiday visas is quite high, so we’re thinking this could be a good option. Or, if he came on a student visa (probably unlikely he’ll want to do this), would he be able to sponsor me?

My fiancé will be taking a trip to Vancouver in October for business so he’s hoping to make connections and find someone willing to go through the process of hiring at least one of us…

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
ccccdeb said:
Hi Everyone.

I'm sorry if questions like this have been answered before (esp in this thread), but the search process is overwhelming!

I'm an American citizen living in Japan currently engaged to a Japanese citizen. The both of us would like to relocate to Vancouver (or the BC area) in about a years time. We're currently looking into visa options for the both of us. Ideally, I would like to obtain a work visa, as would my fiancé. However, he has no undergraduate degree, so he's worried about his prospects. I am also worried about finding someone to sponsor me for a work visa from outside the country as I have no real “marketable skills” like programming, manager experience, etc.

If my fiancé were able to go to Canada on a working holiday visa, would he be able to sponsor me for an open work permit? This would require us to be legally married or be common-law, I realize. The quota for working holiday visas is quite high, so we're thinking this could be a good option. Or, if he came on a student visa (probably unlikely he'll want to do this), would he be able to sponsor me?

My fiancé will be taking a trip to Vancouver in October for business so he's hoping to make connections and find someone willing to go through the process of hiring at least one of us...
If he gets a working holiday visa and a NOC 0, A or B job (basically a skilled job) then you are eligible for SOWP. Using the student route is also possible, but there would be scrutiny on financials because a student doesn't have a reliable source of income. Chances are lower for SOWP with principal applicant having a study permit vs him having a working holiday visa + Skilled job.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=199&t=17

butters1690

Star Member
Aug 21, 2015
URGENT: Study permit and Open work permit at the same time

Hi all,

I need some advise on my spouse and my situation. I am currently on a PGWP which is valid until July 9, 2016.

My spouse is currently pursuing his Masters at a Canadian University in Ontario and his study permit is due to expire on November 30, 2015. Unfortunately, he needs to apply for a study permit extension as he is unable to finish his studies in time. His projected date of completion of his studies in January 2016.

I would like for him to apply for an open work permit based on my work permit's validity. On CIC's website, it's listed that a spouse will be able to receive an open work permit, so long as I fulfill the following requirements (which I do) :

-allowed to work in Canada for at least six months,
-doing work in Canada that meets a minimum skill level (usually work that requires at least a college diploma) and
-doing a job listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

As it is now September 2015, he is planning to apply for his study permit extension soon (before mid-September). My question is, will he be able to apply for an open work permit as well at the same time? The reason being is that, I'm afraid if we wait till January 2016 (when he finishes his studies) to apply for his work permit, it will be too late by then (as my PGWP expires July 2016 and it will violate the first requirement).

Will he be able to hold a study permit and an open work permit at the same time? or even able to apply for both at the same time?

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

menezes

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
I applied for a student visa extension along with my wife's OPW extension

I got my student visa extension approved 1 month ago, but my wife's OPW extension is still in process (82 days now)

It was not supposed to be approved together?

anyone in the same situation?

thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Re: URGENT: Study permit and Open work permit at the same time

butters1690 said:
Hi all,

I need some advise on my spouse and my situation. I am currently on a PGWP which is valid until July 9, 2016.

My spouse is currently pursuing his Masters at a Canadian University in Ontario and his study permit is due to expire on November 30, 2015. Unfortunately, he needs to apply for a study permit extension as he is unable to finish his studies in time. His projected date of completion of his studies in January 2016.

I would like for him to apply for an open work permit based on my work permit's validity. On CIC's website, it's listed that a spouse will be able to receive an open work permit, so long as I fulfill the following requirements (which I do) :

-allowed to work in Canada for at least six months,
-doing work in Canada that meets a minimum skill level (usually work that requires at least a college diploma) and
-doing a job listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification.

As it is now September 2015, he is planning to apply for his study permit extension soon (before mid-September). My question is, will he be able to apply for an open work permit as well at the same time? The reason being is that, I'm afraid if we wait till January 2016 (when he finishes his studies) to apply for his work permit, it will be too late by then (as my PGWP expires July 2016 and it will violate the first requirement).

Will he be able to hold a study permit and an open work permit at the same time? or even able to apply for both at the same time?

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Applying for both a study and a work permit at the same time shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't violate terms of either.

m4ri80

Aug 6, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a question for you, maybe you can help!
My spouse has an open WP expiring March 2016 and a valid LMIA expiring October 2015.
My current visitor visa is expiring in the end of September.
Now, I was thinking about applying online for an extension of his WP before his LMIA expires, in order to get an extension of his WP at ;east until October 2016.
QUESTION: the processing times for WP are at least 4 months (Inland), could CIC deny the extension because by the time they work on the application, likely January 2016 his LMIA will be expired???

Thanks!

mannual

Nov 24, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m4ri80 said:
Hi guys,

I have a question for you, maybe you can help!
My spouse has an open WP expiring March 2016 and a valid LMIA expiring October 2015.
My current visitor visa is expiring in the end of September.
Now, I was thinking about applying online for an extension of his WP before his LMIA expires, in order to get an extension of his WP at ;east until October 2016.
QUESTION: the processing times for WP are at least 4 months (Inland), could CIC deny the extension because by the time they work on the application, likely January 2016 his LMIA will be expired???

Thanks!
doesn't matter how long processing time.processing start the day when your complete application received by cic .u have to apply work permit before Lima got expired