+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

moahammadi740

Aug 12, 2014
Hi guys,
Can some one help me if have same experience:
Im in Canada with work permit and my PR filed in SIO by Feb 2014, i applied OPW for my wife in Abu Dhabi on May, but still no news either from Abu Dhabi for her OPW or my PR from SIO,
Is any one can guide me ?

Dani2772

Feb 16, 2014
Hello All,

I have recently (Oct 3rd) applied for my Wife's Spousal Open Work Permit. I believe I was eligible as I have a PGWP, have been working and still hold a job in Category A since 1.5 years. I applied online and my wife gave her bio metrics (Oct 17th) in Abu Dhabi as she is a resident of Dubai/Sharjah.

1. As proof of marriage I only submitted my Marriage certificate which is in English, attested from Pakistan and UAE. In addition, she issued herself a new passport with my family name, updated marital status (Including husband's name). Is this enough as proof of Marriage?

2. What is the timeline for Online Applications, I believe that they mention 4-6 months on AD website but that was updated before VSF (online application came into play). In addition, that is for all work permits including live and care giver. What timelines am I looking at?

Thank You in advance
Regards
DM

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Dani2772 said:
Hello All,

I have recently (Oct 3rd) applied for my Wife's Spousal Open Work Permit. I believe I was eligible as I have a PGWP, have been working and still hold a job in Category A since 1.5 years. I applied online and my wife gave her bio metrics (Oct 17th) in Abu Dhabi as she is a resident of Dubai/Sharjah.

1. As proof of marriage I only submitted my Marriage certificate which is in English, attested from Pakistan and UAE. In addition, she issued herself a new passport with my family name, updated marital status (Including husband's name). Is this enough as proof of Marriage?

2. What is the timeline for Online Applications, I believe that they mention 4-6 months on AD website but that was updated before VSF (online application came into play). In addition, that is for all work permits including live and care giver. What timelines am I looking at?

Thank You in advance
Regards
DM

1. It totally depends. If you have been married for a long time or have kids, this proof is enough. I didn't submit any thing else. But i was married for 10 years and had kids and more importantly we were applying together while living together from Pakistan. Situation is different if you are living in Canada, have recently been married while your spouse is back home. But embassy may or may not ask for further proof. If i were in your shoes, i would submit additional proof online / via email giving all personal details. At worst it would be ignored by CIC. At best it would speed up the process.

2. 4 to 6 months is the standard time line for all cases. Although CIC gives no preference being NOC A vs say live caregiver, usually a highly skilled worker has a much clearer case and better ties to home country (because of better employment) so usually those cases proceed smoother and faster. Still you should expect any where between this same time line. With a bit of luck, you might get medical call much earlier.

Did you submit proof of your being on NOC A? You know PGWP does not PROVE NOC and it is a requirement to have a skilled position with job in order to qualify for SOWP, especially when you do not have an LMO showing your NOC. Ideally it should be your employment letter outlining your duties in enough detail to fully qualify the particular NOC.

Dani2772

Feb 16, 2014
Thanks fkd for the prompt response.

The reason I asked about the marriage certificate being enough was because I have read and herd about people submitting their pictures, tickets, whatsapp chats and other way too much personal information. I also feel that is something required when sponsoring a spouse instead of an SOWP.

The second thing is that this was done in AD and not in Pakistan and was online, do these things matter? because I am sure they matter regarding applications submitted in Canada. I only ask about the timeline because people at the VSF office were like 21 days or 30 days you will get a passport request (that was a shocker)

Finally Yes I did provide letters from HR specifying my NOC code, job description and duties. The Income Tax Returns for 3 years, bank statement and other minor things.

The reason I am asking all this is because I want to plan my trip to Dubai and want to get her with me on my way back.

Regards
DM

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You are most welcome.

Sponsor or SOWP would be treated similarly in this case. If you were living alone in Canada and probably recently married on say a short visit to Canada, you probably need all these details to prove it is not a marriage of convenience. So i think you would need pictures, proof of contact etc.

As far as i know, timelines of AD or Pakistan are almost the same, in fact that of AD were slightly worst. So this wouldn't affect much. Of course submitted inside Canada is different and has a very good time line. You cannot at all compare your case to that.

The 21 or 30 days is for visit visas mostly. Not many people get jobs and work permits compared to students or visitors. If you have a VERY GOOD case and profile AND the concerned embassy is not VERY BUSY those days (visitor visa and student visa have higher priorities than work permits), you MIGHT get medical call and be processed with in 2-3 months total. But that is a relatively lucky case, not the norm.

And it is possible that they take 4-5 months to send you only medical request.

Submitting online makes your case faster by max say a week. Nothing more.

You can only plan your trip and consider taking her back along ONCE she gets a call for medicals. Any thing before that is totally uncertain irrespective of how good a case you have.

Dani2772 said:
Thanks fkd for the prompt response.

The reason I asked about the marriage certificate being enough was because I have read and herd about people submitting their pictures, tickets, whatsapp chats and other way too much personal information. I also feel that is something required when sponsoring a spouse instead of an SOWP.

The second thing is that this was done in AD and not in Pakistan and was online, do these things matter? because I am sure they matter regarding applications submitted in Canada. I only ask about the timeline because people at the VSF office were like 21 days or 30 days you will get a passport request (that was a shocker)

Finally Yes I did provide letters from HR specifying my NOC code, job description and duties. The Income Tax Returns for 3 years, bank statement and other minor things.

The reason I am asking all this is because I want to plan my trip to Dubai and want to get her with me on my way back.

Regards
DM

funkie4cristo

Mar 10, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Affidavit sent
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
07/04/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Applic.
Med's Request
23/06/2015
Med's Done....
24/06/2015
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
Done
VISA ISSUED...
Done
LANDED..........
September 29, 2015
Please I would appreciate advice on this ASAP.

I just got a Visitor Record with authorization to work in Canada as a Clergy for 2 years (NOC 4154 skill level A), a VR because the job is work permit exempt.
Now I want to go home to see my husband (Nigeria) as the employer has given me permission to go home and come back to start work in February (the employment is not with salary, but they are to take care of living expenses and welfare for me and my family). But my husband wont agree to us living separately, so we want to apply immediately for his SOWP.
The problem is that we dont have much funds in our account right now, although my brother here said he can put $20,000 in my account and we can get a letter stating available funds from my bank and he has to take the money back immediately to use it for a project, so he cant leave it in my account for 3 months.
My Question is
1. Will a bank letter stating available funds be sufficient? Since the church that employed me is willing to give me a letter stating that they will take care of living expenses for me and my family. I don't have any payslips.
2. If we are to submit a bank statement, how much is the minimum we need to have to be acceptable?
3. Do we still have to show ties like property documents in this situation?
4. When I go home next week, my entry visa expires February 2015, so i need to apply for another entry visa, do you think we should apply together or better apply separately?
5.Does he have to submit employment letter and payslips to show that he is working?
6.What would you advice? I dont want to waste this opportunity i got.

Thanks in advance for a prompt response.
FSA.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi Funkie,

Saw your PM. Answering here so others could benefit too.

This is a tricky situation i must say, so answers here are probably opinions only based upon limited individual knowledge.

1. Bank letter alone probably won't be enough and a bank statement showing more recent deposit might be questionable, as far as trying to prove that you have these funds.
If your church issues you a letter saying they would afford you, there must be SOME proof of them having done this until now. Your rent and other expense paid by them already
and its proof would help combined with letter.
2. Generally submitting bank statement is not a requirement of work permit or SOWP IF YOU HAVE A GUARANTEED JOB and source of income. Me and none of my friends who applied with spouses and kids barely had may be 1k CAD in their accounts when any of us applied. Proof of available funds was our annual salary as in offer letter. Bank statement was only additional proof of OUR INCOME IN HOME COUNTRY since it showed pays regularly being transferred back there (along with pay stubs from back home) and served as STRONG TIES to home country because we could and were earning good money there.

But say if spouse of a student in Canada is applying for a SOWP, the general criteria is living expense for a year, the same as that for a student in addition to fee for his studies. However, for a single student it is like 10-11k for a year. When it is a couple, it is more like an additional 6k i.e. around 17K CAD for two people in total.

3. If you can prove you have funds and show you were doing well in home country as well, property is not needed. A lot of people don't own any thing and get visas. It is just an additional support specially when you don't have good other means of showing ties. A good job in home country and proof of income with bank statement is a substitute and very good proof of ties to home country.

4. The most common process is that people who are in Canada and need another trv apply inside of Canada. It will be a complex package when / if you apply from home, since your SOWP application will need a visa and work permit, where as you would only need a trv. May be you could apply together, but you probably should attach a SHORT Letter explaining your situation. Also you will need PROOF of being NOC A, in order to justify eligibility for SOWP. If i were in your shoes, i will probably NOT travel before getting another trv for myself and would stay here WHILE my SOWP is being processed. It might still be approved that way, but going home and applying from there along with your spouse complicates situation, even when you don't apply together.

Besides you should probably reconfirm this from CIC. I on a work permit (though my visa is valid until some time 2016) and i landed from US about 4 days ago. I asked the CBSA officer about the 6 month validity thing i.e. i asked. "If i am on a business trip to US and coming back to Canada with less than six months left on my visa, will entry be a problem?" and she said "you can enter Canada even one day before your work permit and visa expiry - because you could leave again the next day". I am a bit surprised about this but i reconfirmed and that's what she said.

So may be if this holds, you could still enter Canada on the same visa (as long as you come in before Feb 2015) assuming you had a multiple entry visa.

If that is the case, he is the one to apply for SOWP alone though he should apply now while you were here.

5. Showing that he is working and paystubs always serve as a good tie to home country. It is less significant in case of a spouse compared to that of a principal applicant. But still it has weight age. I would definitely do that.

6. Apply for his SOWP right now while you are here and confirm from CIC whether you could land before Feb 2015 with the same visa. That greatly simplifies things.

All the best

funkie4cristo said:
Please I would appreciate advice on this ASAP.

I just got a Visitor Record with authorization to work in Canada as a Clergy for 2 years (NOC 4154 skill level A), a VR because the job is work permit exempt.
Now I want to go home to see my husband (Nigeria) as the employer has given me permission to go home and come back to start work in February (the employment is not with salary, but they are to take care of living expenses and welfare for me and my family). But my husband wont agree to us living separately, so we want to apply immediately for his SOWP.
The problem is that we dont have much funds in our account right now, although my brother here said he can put $20,000 in my account and we can get a letter stating available funds from my bank and he has to take the money back immediately to use it for a project, so he cant leave it in my account for 3 months.
My Question is
1. Will a bank letter stating available funds be sufficient? Since the church that employed me is willing to give me a letter stating that they will take care of living expenses for me and my family. I don't have any payslips.
2. If we are to submit a bank statement, how much is the minimum we need to have to be acceptable?
3. Do we still have to show ties like property documents in this situation?
4. When I go home next week, my entry visa expires February 2015, so i need to apply for another entry visa, do you think we should apply together or better apply separately?
5.Does he have to submit employment letter and payslips to show that he is working?
6.What would you advice? I dont want to waste this opportunity i got.

Thanks in advance for a prompt response.
FSA.

funkie4cristo

Mar 10, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Affidavit sent
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
07/04/2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Applic.
Med's Request
23/06/2015
Med's Done....
24/06/2015
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
Done
VISA ISSUED...
Done
LANDED..........
September 29, 2015
Wow FKL! You are a saving grace! Very tactful, intelligent and thorough! I am very grateful to you for this detailed explanation and guidance. You are a big asset to this forum. Please keep on the good work!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I am glad i could be of help. Let's just say i am returning the favor to the forum

lostindocs

May 31, 2014
Spouse Open Work permit

Hello everyone

I recently graduated from an MBA program and have landed a contract job (within the eligible occupations) for 6 months. My husband is currently in India and I want to get him here. I have a few questions regrading the process for my situation.

1. Would my 6 month contract be a concern for CIC? I know the site mentions duration to be atleast 6 months.. would just 6 months suffice?
2. Does six month mean remaining months from the application date? or can i apply for it any time within those 6 months?

Has anyone got an open work permit for their spouse successfully while being on contract? Please let me know how you went by the process. Your help would be appreciated.

Sakshi

jobin007ae

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
hai.

Your processed passport has been dispatched from the Canada Visa Office BANGALORE, on 30/10/2014 to the Canada Visa Application Centre****************
what it means?

Paper application, on 24 oct 2014

OPW WITH MEDICAL

kumar30

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
29-01-2017
AOR Received.
29th Jan
Med's Done....
26th Nov
VISA ISSUED...
19-05-2017
jobin007ae said:
hai.

Your processed passport has been dispatched from the Canada Visa Office BANGALORE, on 30/10/2014 to the Canada Visa Application Centre****************
what it means?

OPW WITH MEDICAL
Looks like a good news is on the way...

jeet dhani

Sep 12, 2014
Hii Jobin ..... grt news ...hope u get ur passport stamped....

U applied.on 24 oct itself ? So quick it is and paper application ....grt... .where did u apply from???

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
jobin007ae said:
hai.

what it means?

OPW WITH MEDICAL
Hey ,

What is in the passport..?

did you get the visa stamped.

Rajan

krishg

Aug 2, 2014
apardhamija said:
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to include all spouse's documents who is currently in canada initially in the online application. Please please suggest its a vital information, please share. As the application only allows to send documents of the applicant and not the spouse who has the Open Work Permit.

Collect all documents, attach in one pdf file and submit that PDF file.