+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

honey1212

Jul 21, 2014
hi fkl,

i checked my status on vfs site. they requested for additional documents. i didn't get any email or msg how should i know that what doc they needs. please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
canfsw said:
I have a OWP, but has never travelled to Canada

what should i answer for this question?

Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?
answer: yes

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
honey1212 said:
hi fkl,

i checked my status on vfs site. they requested for additional documents. i didn't get any email or msg how should i know that what doc they needs. please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks
You should email them adding all the details. I have heard of this in recent past from others too where additional documents request or otherwise communication to applicant was missed. Please do this asap. They are really ruthless and would close a case saying you didn't respond. I know it is pretty bad and unfair but you don't have a choice so act fast and email with a copy of this "request for further docs", asking what docs they need.

momars09

May 20, 2014
App. Filed.......
23-07-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
UPFRONT 08-07-2014
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06/08/2014
LANDED..........
1-09-2014
Hi fkl
I have applied for student visa under spp today I.e 23rd July.. We want to apply for my husbands sowp..I have a few questions I will be really greatful to you if you do the needful..
1) should he apply for owp or sowp or are they both the same?
2)his owp should be applied after I recieve my visa or after I land in Canada?
3) what are the required documents to apply for owp?
4) how much time does it take fr the process?

P.S we didn't apply together as the consultant and few people told us to apply separetly as applying together is always risky.

Thanks in advance

canfsw

Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO->WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-Dec-2014
Doc's Request.
CC charge: 28-Jan-2015
Nomination.....
PER: 26-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
10-Apr-2015
File Transfer...
SLU: 7-May-2015
Med's Request
9-May-2015
Med's Done....
14-May-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting
hi fkl,

when i try to apply SOWP online, there are only 4 documents to be uploaded

1) IMM1295E - application for open work permit outside canada
2) Passport copy
3) digital photo
4) Marriage certificate

Please let me know these documents are sufficient, or will they request more documents after fee payment of 155 CAD

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
Hi fkl,

Can you please help regarding my queries

1/ Do we need to submit letter of acceptance in applying study permit on school?
2/ do we need to include proof of funds?

We are dependent of my husband who is currently a skilled worker in Ca.
Thanks!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
momars09 said:
Hi fkl
I have applied for student visa under spp today I.e 23rd July.. We want to apply for my husbands sowp..I have a few questions I will be really greatful to you if you do the needful..
1) should he apply for owp or sowp or are they both the same?
2)his owp should be applied after I recieve my visa or after I land in Canada?
3) what are the required documents to apply for owp?
4) how much time does it take fr the process?

P.S we didn't apply together as the consultant and few people told us to apply separetly as applying together is always risky.

Thanks in advance
Hi momars09,

Too many questions to answer :)

1. Open work permit is simply a permit that is not tied to an employer. But it is given only in certain conditions. One of those is that if you are a spouse of international student / temp worker in Canada. So when you apply for this, it is conveniently called SOWP. You would choose "Open work permit" on the work permit form (there is no such category as SOWP there), on the declaration form you would indicate "I am spouse of a person who is a student in Canada." You would write "Not applicable" in employer details and attach your Study permit and details of status along with proof of relationship.

2. You could have applied together - If you had a good profile and enough funds for you two for a year in addition to your fee, you could have been accepted together. But i agree that applying together in some ways reduces chances if you don't have a very strong profile. Since you didn't apply together, i would ADVISE applying at least a few months after you have landed in Canada and are settled there. It is not written any where, but is just my opinion. It might look weird that you wait for getting your own visa only, haven't traveled to Canada yet and apply for spouse in between. Plus it would be stronger once you have your actual study permit to attach (that you only get upon landing) have joined at your institute and get a letter from your department that you are studying and continuing program to their satisfaction. That would improve the chances.

3. Every thing from your profile (study permit, some evidence which shows you are currently continuing at your program (at the time of application) like a letter in close dates from your supervisor at university, plus your husband's full profile (education, job experiences - specially if he is currently employed well in home country) and proof of relationship. If you haven't been married for long or have kids, just marriage certificate is not enough. Add pictures, proof of contact (calls, chat logs, trips together etc.). Also if you own any properties / business or other strong ties in home country (you or husband only) that would help.

4. Time depends upon each embassy - standard work permit processing times apply. In some countries it is under a month, where as in others it could take up to a year. It also depends upon how good and complete an application you have put, what time of year do you apply (i.e. is embassy relatively free in those days or not).

Hope that helps

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
canfsw said:
hi fkl,

when i try to apply SOWP online, there are only 4 documents to be uploaded

1) IMM1295E - application for open work permit outside canada
2) Passport copy
3) digital photo
4) Marriage certificate

Please let me know these documents are sufficient, or will they request more documents after fee payment of 155 CAD
Documents to some extend might vary depending upon which embassy are you applying at. Embassy from a first world country might be some what relaxed in requirements and could be just okay with above docs. But if i were you, i won't take a chance.

Scan all docs you think would help and combine into a single pdf. Make a cover page LISTING which document is attached. Add these docs into the pdf of say marriage certificate or if there is space for additional docs or cover letter.

They don't request any further docs until some one reviews your application and thinks some thing else is needed. That might waste a lot of time and is not the ideal situation. It is preferable to have every thing in place already for faster and cleaner processing.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Anah said:
Hi fkl,

Can you please help regarding my queries

1/ Do we need to submit letter of acceptance in applying study permit on school?
2/ do we need to include proof of funds?

We are dependent of my husband who is currently a skilled worker in Ca.
Thanks!
Hi Anah,

Normally if you are the principal applicant, you do need these things.

Being spouse of a skilled temp worker, you can apply for a trv valid for as long as your spouse or an open work permit.

Unfortunately, for a study permit, you do need to provide a letter of acceptance. The only exception is for younger children for e.g. for my son aged 8, i got an open study permit. But i couldn't do this if he was 18 or older.

However, i don't think you need proof of funds as long as your husband's salary is good enough to afford it (in addition to your expense).
For e.g. for my kids "funds available to stay" i was advised by my company's lawyer to quote my annual salary in Canada. So you should do the same and quote your husband's annual salary.

momars09

May 20, 2014
App. Filed.......
23-07-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
UPFRONT 08-07-2014
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06/08/2014
LANDED..........
1-09-2014
fkl said:
Hi momars09,

Too many questions to answer :)

1. Open work permit is simply a permit that is not tied to an employer. But it is given only in certain conditions. One of those is that if you are a spouse of international student / temp worker in Canada. So when you apply for this, it is conveniently called SOWP. You would choose "Open work permit" on the work permit form (there is no such category as SOWP there), on the declaration form you would indicate "I am spouse of a person who is a student in Canada." You would write "Not applicable" in employer details and attach your Study permit and details of status along with proof of relationship.

2. You could have applied together - If you had a good profile and enough funds for you two for a year in addition to your fee, you could have been accepted together. But i agree that applying together in some ways reduces changes if you don't have a very strong profile. Since you didn't apply together, i would ADVISE applying at least a few months after you have landed in Canada and are settled there. It is not written any where, but is just my opinion. It might look weird that you wait for getting your own visa only, haven't traveled to Canada yet and apply for spouse in between. Plus it would be stronger once you have your actual study permit to attach (that you only get upon landing) have joined at your institute and get a letter from your department that you are studying and continuing program to their satisfaction. That would improve the chances.

3. Every thing from your profile (study permit, some evidence which shows you are currently continuing at your program (at the time of application) like a letter in close dates from your supervisor at university, plus your husband's full profile (education, job experiences - specially if he is currently employed well in home country) and proof of relationship. If you haven't been married for long or have kids, just marriage certificate is not enough. Add pictures, proof of contact (calls, chat logs, trips together etc.). Also if you own any properties / business or other strong ties in home country (you or husband only) that would help.

4. Time depends upon each embassy - standard work permit processing times apply. In some countries it is under a month, where as in others it could take up to a year. It also depends upon how good and complete an application you have put, what time of year do you apply (i.e. is embassy relatively free in those days or not).

Hope that helps
jazakAllah alf kahir fkl..

that was really a very satisfying answer..
we wanted to apply together but our consultant didn't encourage us..i think we will now apply after i land there as per your answers too i think that would be much better..
my profile is as follows
10th-CBSE- 80%
INTER-80%
B.pharmacy-70%
Total 4 years of work experience in same field
will be studying PGD in Centennial college

HUSBANDS PROFILE
1)PGD in business and IT management
2) Bachelors in IT
3)3 years of work experience in Saudi Arabia
4) 1 year of work experience in India
we can show some property and bank statements from here..
but we don't have any IT returns will that be a problem?

-married since two years no kids..
can you please analyse our profiles for an OWP

I really appreciate your rime and concern and would be eagerly waiting for your response..

thanks a lot

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
Hi fkl,

Thank you for patiently answering all the questions here. It was such a big help for us who needs advise and clarification.

So in my case, my daughter is 8 yrs old(same with yours) and 4 yrs old. I don't need for acceptance letter anymore.

Regarding in my ptoof of funds, better yet to submit for stronger application.

canfsw

Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO->WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-Dec-2014
Doc's Request.
CC charge: 28-Jan-2015
Nomination.....
PER: 26-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
10-Apr-2015
File Transfer...
SLU: 7-May-2015
Med's Request
9-May-2015
Med's Done....
14-May-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting
fkl said:
Documents to some extend might vary depending upon which embassy are you applying at. Embassy from a first world country might be some what relaxed in requirements and could be just okay with above docs. But if i were you, i won't take a chance.

Scan all docs you think would help and combine into a single pdf. Make a cover page LISTING which document is attached. Add these docs into the pdf of say marriage certificate or if there is space for additional docs or cover letter.

They don't request any further docs until some one reviews your application and thinks some thing else is needed. That might waste a lot of time and is not the ideal situation. It is preferable to have every thing in place already for faster and cleaner processing.
Code:
thanks for clarification fkl

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Anah said:
Hi fkl,

Thank you for patiently answering all the questions here. It was such a big help for us who needs advise and clarification.

So in my case, my daughter is 8 yrs old(same with yours) and 4 yrs old. I don't need for acceptance letter anymore.

Regarding in my ptoof of funds, better yet to submit for stronger application.
Hi Anah,

You are most welcome. Yes you don't need an acceptance letter but if you put in your own funds in the form where CIC asks for "how much funds available". Then you should put in both i.e. available funds + annual salary of husband in Canada. Then list both as sources