Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
niceworld said:
Hi FKL,

I need your help. I want to apply for my husband's open work permit. I am currently on a Post graduate work permit in Canada. I am a supervisor in a Tim Horton working 40 hours at 13 dollar per hour. Is my job with 13 dollar per hour fine to apply husband's open work permit from home country. I just started working as a supervisor. Earlier I was working as a Team Member in a Tim Horton. How many months or years of experience is required or there is a need of only 2 pay stubs to apply for work permit of husband.

Thank you

Best Regards
The only important thing you need to confirm is your NOC and whether it falls into NOC 0, A or B i.e. is it a skilled job or not. Because only spouse of Skilled position holder (with appropriate pay) is allowed a SOWP. There can be exceptions but this is at least the rule. There is no period requirement. If you have a NOC 0,A or B job with a PGWP you can apply even after just receiving a confirmed job offer.

DIVYAZABI

Dec 3, 2012
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Chennai, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July-15, 2013
Passport Req..
July-16, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July-17,2013
LANDED..........
Sep-09,2013
fkl said:
No problem. I take it that your spouse is already in Canada on some temp status (Study or work)?

Following is the link to apply for work permit online. SOWP is just a type of work permit, and uses the same forms as those used for standard work permit.

Just that you would choose type as "open work permit" and write Not applicable in employer requirements / details and attach your spousal status details instead.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp
Does this imply that spouse of international student who is in canada can apply for an OWP inland? Is that possible and what are the chances of approval?

Sardar Ali

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi,

I am a PhD student in Canada. Applied for my spouse open work permit (paper based) in Islamabad on April 11. Last week, we received a medical request via email and within two days we got another email requesting to provide police certificate in 5 days via email.

My wife emailed the police clearance yesterday and waiting for her medical appointment for Jul 24. What are the chances and how long it usually take to approve after medical/police certificate?

I wonder why they asked for both documents in separate emails with a gap of only days between the 2 emails.

Anyone experienced please comment.

-ali

ttj

Jul 20, 2014
Hi,

I just completed my graduation back in May 2014 and then i started full time job as an Electrical engineer EIT. I'm on Work permit and i'm planing to apply for my spouse she is in Pakistan. I got married back in Dec 2013.

Can anyone guide me...? what you guys prefer online application submission or paper copy by mail.

Also please provide any checklist and reference cover letter just for reference purpose.

ganesh.cafe

Dec 16, 2012
Hi All,
It says processing time for work permit outside canada is 4 months in India,visitor visa is 9 days in India.What will be the processing time for if we apply both like,open work permit for spouse and visitor visa for child.Like it depend on principal applicant?Huh. confused.
Also i have attached medicals(which we done for PR application),status says medicals passed,is this positive result and how long it will take to get visa

pls anyone clarify

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
fkl said:
No problem. I take it that your spouse is already in Canada on some temp status (Study or work)?

Following is the link to apply for work permit online. SOWP is just a type of work permit, and uses the same forms as those used for standard work permit.

Just that you would choose type as "open work permit" and write Not applicable in employer requirements / details and attach your spousal status details instead.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp
hi FKL,

I have a SOWP expiring in Aug 25, 2014, i have never traveled to canada till now.

Last month my wife went to canada by intra company transfer. Now i'm planning to apply SOWP extension online using the cic link

But i'm unable to apply online as i'm stuck at this question
Have you used our online questionnaire to find out if you’re eligible to apply?

If i give Yes, then it is asking "personal checklist code"

if i give No, then it is coming back to "http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp"

Am i missing something?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
DIVYAZABI said:
Does this imply that spouse of international student who is in canada can apply for an OWP inland? Is that possible and what are the chances of approval?
Who is in Canada the Spouse or the International Student himself? I am not sure which one you referred to. But the point is "If the spouse is in home country, you cannot apply in land". The spouse has to apply and be processed at his / her country of residence. If you apply online it is processed at the same embassy that caters country of residence. In exceptional situations, it might be processed elsewhere and CIC says its easier to process and online submitted application at another embassy. However, this is exception rather than the norm and is not some thing an applicant can dictate based upon his own choices.

Only a spouse who is already in Canada on say a resident trv (allowing him/her to live with respective spouse for as long as his study visa is valid) can apply for an OWP in land.

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
vijayanand said:
hi FKL,

I have a SOWP expiring in Aug 25, 2014, i have never traveled to canada till now.

Last month my wife went to canada by intra company transfer. Now i'm planning to apply SOWP extension online using the cic link

But i'm unable to apply online as i'm stuck at this question
Have you used our online questionnaire to find out if you're eligible to apply?

If i give Yes, then it is asking "personal checklist code"

if i give No, then it is coming back to "http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp"

Am i missing something?
hi fkl,

I have found how to get personal checklist code,

now i need your help, there is a list of options available for OWP http://snag.gy/nzBER.jpg

my case is my wife has WP for 1 year till June 2015, and she is currently working in Toronto, ON

Please help me in selecting the right option of SOWP

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Sardar Ali said:
Hi,

I am a PhD student in Canada. Applied for my spouse open work permit (paper based) in Islamabad on April 11. Last week, we received a medical request via email and within two days we got another email requesting to provide police certificate in 5 days via email.

My wife emailed the police clearance yesterday and waiting for her medical appointment for Jul 24. What are the chances and how long it usually take to approve after medical/police certificate?

I wonder why they asked for both documents in separate emails with a gap of only days between the 2 emails.

Anyone experienced please comment.

-ali

Either way is possible. Generally people do (and should) submit police clearance along with application. Receiving call for medical is norm, being asked for PC is a bit different from routine and likely is taken care of by different people. It doesn't matter as long as you sent both promptly.

I would say after medicals there is an 80% chance of success with in the next 20 days or so - assuming all goes well with medicals.

CIC usually asks for medicals after most other stuff is found in order.

Still in exceptional circumstances, there can be factors that are brought up latter or simply CIC refusing for some weird reason. So technically it is not over unless you actually get confirmation. However, if you don't hear back for 20 days after submitting medical resuits, you should ping the embassy and make sure they actually received medical results.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
vijayanand said:
hi fkl,

I have found how to get personal checklist code,

now i need your help, there is a list of options available for OWP http://snag.gy/nzBER.jpg

my case is my wife has WP for 1 year till June 2015, and she is currently working in Toronto, ON

Please help me in selecting the right option of SOWP
Hi Vijay,

The correct option is "Open work permit" and you write "Not applicable" where ever your employment details in Canada are asked for. Instead you attach your spouse's work permit and proof of his / her position being a skilled one (NOC 0, A or B)

honey1212

Jul 21, 2014
Hello Everyone

i submitted my application SOWP on 19 june but till date no update. Any information about processing time of SWOP. Experts please help.
if any one in a similar situation than please reply here and provide me valuable information regarding updates from CIC.

Thanks advance.

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
fkl said:
Hi Vijay,

The correct option is "Open work permit" and you write "Not applicable" where ever your employment details in Canada are asked for. Instead you attach your spouse's work permit and proof of his / her position being a skilled one (NOC 0, A or B)
Thanks fkl

Sardar Ali

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
fkl said:
Either way is possible. Generally people do (and should) submit police clearance along with application. Receiving call for medical is norm, being asked for PC is a bit different from routine and likely is taken care of by different people. It doesn't matter as long as you sent both promptly.

I would say after medicals there is an 80% chance of success with in the next 20 days or so - assuming all goes well with medicals.

CIC usually asks for medicals after most other stuff is found in order.

Still in exceptional circumstances, there can be factors that are brought up latter or simply CIC refusing for some weird reason. So technically it is not over unless you actually get confirmation. However, if you don't hear back for 20 days after submitting medical resuits, you should ping the embassy and make sure they actually received medical results.
thanks flk :)

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
ganesh.cafe said:
Hi All,
It says processing time for work permit outside canada is 4 months in India,visitor visa is 9 days in India.What will be the processing time for if we apply both like,open work permit for spouse and visitor visa for child.Like it depend on principal applicant?Huh. confused.
Also i have attached medicals(which we done for PR application),status says medicals passed,is this positive result and how long it will take to get visa

pls anyone clarify
Please share where it is mentioned " processing time for work permit outside canada is 4 months in India "

from the timelines shared by fellow SOWP applicants in this forum, it seems 5 to 6 weeks