+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
priyum521 said:
Hi There,

Since you are in India and TRV got rejected twice, I would suggest you to apply for Open Work Permit from India.

-priyum

Hi priyum,

are you sure... can i apply for open workpermit from india.

but y the attorney of canada given wrong information to my husband i dont know...

i dont know what to do...it's been 1 yr i met my husband.. the only option attorney is suggesting is PR but i will take minimum 8 to 12 mnths right... but i can't wait till

pls suggest me can i apply for open workpermit from india... and let me know the possibility of getting it...

what is the processing time for it

natashia

Nov 24, 2010
hi priyum i am here in canada and i just renewed my work permit under the 0, A and B skilled worker category. I am interested in applying my husband for an open work permit. what are the steps to do it. please please i really need your help. thank u very much and more power.

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
XYZSAN said:
Hi priyum,

but y the attorney of canada given wrong information to my husband i dont know...

i dont know what to do...it's been 1 yr i met my husband.. the only option attorney is suggesting is PR but i will take minimum 8 to 12 mnths right... but i can't wait till

pls suggest me can i apply for open workpermit from india... and let me know the possibility of getting it...

waiting for your reply priyum..

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
XYZSAN said:
Hi priyum,

You are free to apply but there is no guarantee you will get it. You've been rejected twice. I would say your likelihood of success a third time is low.

What wrong information did the lawyer provide?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
natashia said:
hi priyum i am here in canada and i just renewed my work permit under the 0, A and B skilled worker category. I am interested in applying my husband for an open work permit. what are the steps to do it. please please i really need your help. thank u very much and more power.
Your husband follows the work permit application instructions on the embassy website for the country where he resides. He requests an Open Work Permit and will need a copy of your work permit and contract to submit with his application. Provide all of the information that is applicable to your situation on the checklist for work permit applications on the website of the embassy.

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
rjessome said:
You are free to apply but there is no guarantee you will get it. You've been rejected twice. I would say your likelihood of success a third time is low.

What wrong information did the lawyer provide?
y the getting chances are low, now i am planning to apply for open workpermit...previously rejected twice for TRV right??...

Lawyer said, i should be in canada to apply for open workpermit

Yamini

May 11, 2012
priyum521 said:
you can apply open work permit to your wife at the time of you apply to work permit.

with respect to documents, the documents are same to work permit and open work permit.
Hi,

I had applied for TRV since my husband is on study permit in Canada. We got married this year January.but the TRV was refused. It's been two weeks since the refusal. Now I wish to apply for an OWP. have a lot of queries, kindly find time to reply I wish to be with him ASAP :( my husband' s study permit is till June 2014.
1. What documents should I show to let them know my economic ties to home country - me n my spouse don't have any property on our name., will fixed deposit help, any other document?

2. How much funds should I show in my bank account- the refusal letter said insufficient funds , my husband showed 10000$ and I had a lakh of my saving from the previous job I resigned in March.plus I also showed my dad's dependency letter stating he has a salary of so, n will support me life long. Will bank statement of my dad work.

3. it's been two weeks since the refusal n I asked If I have to wait for applying again,Vfs said no. Should I wait more?

4. what are the documents stating a social tie to my native country India. This was also mentioned in the refusal letter.

5. What additional documents do u think I should furnish to be on a safer side.

Thank you

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Yamini said:
Hi,

I had applied for TRV since my husband is on study permit in Canada. We got married this year January.but the TRV was refused. It's been two weeks since the refusal. Now I wish to apply for an OWP. have a lot of queries, kindly find time to reply I wish to be with him ASAP :( my husband' s study permit is till June 2014.
1. What documents should I show to let them know my economic ties to home country - me n my spouse don't have any property on our name., will fixed deposit help, any other document?

2. How much funds should I show in my bank account- the refusal letter said insufficient funds , my husband showed 10000$ and I had a lakh of my saving from the previous job I resigned in March.plus I also showed my dad's dependency letter stating he has a salary of so, n will support me life long. Will bank statement of my dad work.

3. it's been two weeks since the refusal n I asked If I have to wait for applying again,Vfs said no. Should I wait more?

4. what are the documents stating a social tie to my native country India. This was also mentioned in the refusal letter.

5. What additional documents do u think I should furnish to be on a safer side.

Thank you

hi, where r u from, me also the in the same situation

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The lawyer wasn't necessarily wrong. If your spouse is on a study permit or work permit you can apply for the OWP in Canada. BUT you both need to understand that it does not make any difference if you are applying for an OWP. You still NEED the TRV to enter Canada. The OWP is given to you at the port of entry to Canada.

The difference is what you are telling them you will do when you arrive in Canada. In one case you told them you would be a visitor. In the other, you are telling them you want to work. But you still need the TRV as it is the ENTRY document to Canada. A TRV stands for Temporary Resident Visa and EVERYONE who is not from a visa exempt country requires one no matter what they are doing in Canada.

You can look at your previous applications and see where your weaknesses are. If you are planning to "visit" for an extended period of time and not work, then a significant amount of money would be required for your support. And the maximum time you are allowed to stay is 6 months so if you applied for more time, that is a mistake. Secondly, if you are going to apply for an OWP, submit your resume and diplomas with your application and a statement of the types of jobs you will apply for. A bank statement alone from a parent is not going to help since you are going to be dependent on your spouse in Canada. Your parent could write a letter stating that they will send you money every month to provide for your support and then include a bank statement.

But if "lack of significant ties" is part of the reason for your refusals, it is still going to be very difficult to overcome. You can try of course. And you do not have to wait. But if they've refused you for this reason already, again I'm going to say that likelihood of success is low. But hey, anything can happen and you won't know until you try.

Yamini

May 11, 2012
Hi Rjessome,

Thanks so much for your insightful comments. We are indeed planning on looking at the weaknesses pointed out in the letter from the visa officer and addressing the issues one by one. However, in the process, we have certain doubts. If you could share your experience regarding those, we would much appreciate it.

1. Showing Intent to Come Back/Establishing Social and Economic Ties to India: The visa officer seems unconvinced about my intent to return to India after my stay in Canada. We have read and heard about several ways to show the intent to come back to India by illustrating economic ties by showing bank statements, property, business, and vehicle ownership etc. But we are still unsure about what the best way to do this is. We have heard many advices, but it would be great to definitively on how to go about this?

In addition, establishing social ties also seems very vague. We can’t think of anything else other than saying that we are both elder most children of our parents—this has many social obligations in our culture and hence it is imperative that we come back.

2. Travel History: I am also unsure about why the visa office is not sure about my travel history. My travel history, if anything, further bolsters my intent to come back to India. I was in Germany for 5 months for the partial fulfillment of my MBA and I was offered internships, which would have allowed me stay there longer. But instead I chose to come back and join the job offer I had in India – precisely because I wanted to be close to my family here in India. So my travel history in fact cements my intention to be in India.

3. My Family Ties in Canada and India: My entire family is in India. This includes my parents my brother, all my in-laws and even my extended family. The only reason I am going to Canada is because my husband, who is himself an American green card holder is pursuing a PhD. So again, there is no reason for me to extend my stay in Canada once my husband’s PhD is complete. Even if he decides to come to the US for some time, eventually both of us will be in India because of our heavy social and economic investment here.

a. Do you think we should disclose information about my husband’s green card status? How do we handle this objection raised by the visa officer?

4. Length of Proposed Stay in Canada: I understand that this was a concern the first time as TRVs are only valid for 6 months. So this was my fault that I applied for a longer term. However, this is something that will remain unchanged in my new application as well. My husband will take 2 more years to complete his PhD and that’s how long I intend to stay there. Any other way we can address this concern? Or, is it no longer an issues as we are applying for an OWP?

5. Current Employment Situation: When I applied last time, I had just quit my job to explore other internship opportunities because the job profile was not to my liking. Perhaps the visa office thought of this has a move that severs ties with India as well. To address this, would you recommend me getting an internship letter for the reapplication?

6. Personal Assets and Financial Status: The bank statements I submitted last time did not reflect my total savings from my employment. I will rectify this mistake and also show additional funds in my parent’s accounts. Would this be enough to satisfy the visa officer? Or should I also get letters from my parents confirming their financial support to me?

Thank you so very much. All your effort and time are much much appreciated.

anna31

Jun 18, 2010
HI,
i am only new here and i hope someone could help me regarding spousal open work permit application for my husband.
I am here in Quebec as a high-skilled worker, according to the classification, my spouse (and dependent) are allowed to apply for an OWP.
Does anyone here know how we can start the application in Manila?
if my husband will apply for an OWP, what should we apply for my 5-yr old son?
if you have a guide on the steps to follow, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
thanks!

by the way, do you have an idea of the processing time from application to release of visa?
i just renewed all my docs, CAQ, LMO, WP, Visa... but they're only valid until march 2013.
i was hoping i'll be able to get my family before my docs expire. anyway, we can always renew here in canada.

thanks again!

XYZSAN

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Hi,

I am applying for open workpermit.. is following documents are enough. i have some doubts reg this..pls clarify

1. A completed Work Permit application
2. A copy of the spouse's work permit and/or visa
3. Marriage certificate
4. Letter of invitation from spouse
5. Bank statements for past two years - is my husband bank stmts are enough for this..or should i show my bank stmts to approve i will be return back to india..after visa expires
6. Spouse's offer of employment in Canada
7. If applying separately, an explanation of why they have applied separately -- what should i submit here
8. Employment certificate in India, and explanation of leave provisions, if applicable -- employment certificate i can provide.but leave provision.. how should this effect..i will be there upto my huband workpermit valid time right.. then is it necessary to show leave letter...
9. Other proof of ties to India - pls mention what should show here..i am working as a engineer in hyd...last time my trv got rejected saying that i would not be return back to india..to avoid this.. this time wht should i show...

KGB123

May 15, 2012
Hi All,

Thank you so much for posting valuable informatiom.

I know by now some of you might be getting sick of seeing same questions beeing asked, I have read all the postings
on this forum therefore pls accept my apologies as I am going to similar questions and hoping you can help......

I am an Australian Citizen, working here on an open work permit for the same employer that I used to work in Australia, my visa is a reciprocal system between Australia and Canada which is called Overseas working holiday visa, which I should have changed to company transfer visa until I got married recently and my wife is in India. I have already been working full time for last 12 months here in Canada and it's been 6months since I got married and have not seen my wife since then :(...and it took Indian passport Authorities 4 months to endorse my name on her passport which was a huge challenge dealing with them...

So my questions are?

1. Do I need to change my open work permt to Intra company transfer?
2. How can my wife join me here in Canada from India? besides study or visitor visa
3. Should she apply for Open work permit once I change my visa to intra company visa?
4. Where should she lodge her application? India or Canada or since it mentions outside Canada,
5. Can it be lodged at Buffalo Canadian Embassy? she does not have any status in USA except me as a Visitor to USA
6. Visa forms she wil have to submit?
7. Type of documents req?
8. OWP - will it be a label/sticker on an Indian passport? to say it is good to travel to Canada?

I will be so grateful if anyone get back to me, I am super worried and stressed, pls pls help....anyone

Thank you again for reading, looking forward to your replies........