13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
fkl said:
You can always reserve a temp itinerary from any air line website and describe some tentative bookings (hotel / family / friends place to stay).

The point is that they intend to see a definite plan for the visit so they know where you like to go and how long will you stay.

Now you can always change those things latter and there is no one tracking these things in Canada. The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether you have a legitimate need to be in Canada, will you be staying for a fixed period and where / who would afford / accommodation etc.

I dont think you have answered any question wrong. This kind of info is asked for whenever you intend to apply for Canada as a visitor.
Thanks so much for your reply!

My work permit is going to be valid for 2 years. And actually I do have a friend in the city I'm going to live in who could help with "renting me a room", but wouldn't it be strange if someone reserves anything for 2 years in advance? Or have a flight ticket with returning date in 2019 (if that's possible at all)?

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
Also, I ran into this link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/port.asp

And found myself in the first case, as I do have the LMIA-exempt WP Support Letter issued by BC, along with the nomination certificate. My employer has registered the job offer via Employer Portal and sent me the "offer of employment number" and a receipt of paid employer compliance fee. Also, since I'm from Croatia, I think I don't need a medical and the temporary resident visa, just the eTA.

Most foreign workers must apply for a work permit outside of Canada. Foreign nationals may apply for a work permit on arrival at a port of entry (POE) in Canada if

- they are exempt from the requirement for a temporary resident visa and if their job falls within the International Mobility Program (i.e., they are not required to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment [LMIA]);

Do you think it's risky if I just show up with my family on POE with round-trip flight tickets (with return date for e.g. 6 months)?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Simpson85 said:
Thanks so much for your reply!

My work permit is going to be valid for 2 years. And actually I do have a friend in the city I'm going to live in who could help with "renting me a room", but wouldn't it be strange if someone reserves anything for 2 years in advance? Or have a flight ticket with returning date in 2019 (if that's possible at all)?
You didn't quote your full background. I thought you were just applying for a VISITOR visa. If you are coming here as a WORKER and applying for temp work permit, you don't need to worry about these things i.e. flight, itinerary etc. Work permit processing any way takes much longer than a short term TRV.

But you need to worry about showing your strong ties. Most significantly your education and work experience in the same role / qualification that you are being offered job in Canada. That is the single strongest factor in your entire application.

<Following up with your second post>

I just checked (as you already found) and being Croatian, you don't need a TRV to enter Canada (just an ETA).

You don't need any round trip flight tickets. Just one way ones, your eTA and all the docs mainly registered job offer (number) and proof of paid compliance fee.

You must have selected some incorrect option, temp resident visa form shouldn't show up in your application

Simpson85

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Croatia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-12-2016
AOR Received.
13-02-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2017
fkl said:
You didn't quote your full background. I thought you were just applying for a VISITOR visa. If you are coming here as a WORKER and applying for temp work permit, you don't need to worry about these things i.e. flight, itinerary etc. Work permit processing any way takes much longer than a short term TRV.

But you need to worry about showing your strong ties. Most significantly your education and work experience in the same role / qualification that you are being offered job in Canada. That is the single strongest factor in your entire application.

<Following up with your second post>

I just checked (as you already found) and being Croatian, you don't need a TRV to enter Canada (just an ETA).

You don't need any round trip flight tickets. Just one way ones, your eTA and all the docs mainly registered job offer (number) and proof of paid compliance fee.

You must have selected some incorrect option, temp resident visa form shouldn't show up in your application
Apologies, it's hard to help someone who does not explain the complete situation :-[

The only things that refer to intention/length of stay (in the application) is in the initial questionnaire, before the web app tells you whether you're eligible for some program. Also, my job offer is permanent.

Q: What would you like to do in Canada?
A: Work

Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
A: Temporarily - more than 6 months

If I select "Move there" / "Permanent", or any combination of those two, it tells me I'm eligible for Express Entry (under FSWP, FSTP and CEC). As I have an active PR application (got the ITA through EE in 49th draw), when I click Continue it doesn't let me go through and throws an "Our Online Services Are Currently Down" error. Therefore, I was "forced" to select the options stated above in italic and then I get "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (No Visitor's Visa required)" as a result.

Although the TRV form (Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257)) shows both under my wife's and mine documents checklist, it is in the Optional section - I guess no harm if I don't fill and submit those at all? Also, probably no harm if I fill and submit TRV forms although they may not be needed in our case?

Strange thing is that this "Purpose of Travel - Other (required)" shows up only for my wife, although I have selected the OWP option as her reason to come to Canada. So, what - I can stay as long as I want (e.g. 2 years) and she has to go back home at some point by providing Purpose of Travel? :)

Therefore I'm considering one of the following two options:
1. Kick out my wife from the WP application and apply for myself only. Once the application is approved and we arrive at POE (with one-way tickets), seek her OWP on the spot, if possible. If not, there's no drama, since we'll be getting PR status in a couple of months from our arrival anyway.
2. As I mentioned, just arrive at POE with all the papers I have (PN certificate, WP support letter, offer of employment number, receipt of employer's compliance fee, marriage license, our diplomas, resumes, ECAs, IELTS... everything) and seek both mine and her WPs on the spot.

Thanks so much once again for helping me get through this! Looking forward to your ideas.

nsasidharan

Feb 24, 2016
Hi,

Please help me, it's very urgent...

I am working in Canada under closed work permit and my souse have open work permit.. (both will expire by Feb 2017 beginning.)
Right now I have applied for extension of my work permit , and my family is back in India. If I need to extend my spouse's open work permit.. what is the process I need to follow.
Can I apply for her's open work permit extension in Canada or in India?

Thanks

eme2016

Mar 6, 2016
Need clarification please. .. I applied for spouse open work permit online application and I used the eta tools to check for my application status and it's showing approved but my cic acount is still showing open does that mean my open work permit has been approved

dipica

Aug 21, 2013
SINP
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
24-05-2016
Doc's Request.
18-11-2016
Nomination.....
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
18-08-2016
Med's Request
08-06-2017
Med's Done....
15-06-2017
LANDED..........
Landed
HI,

I am sinp holder with my spouse name on it. I am already in canada and my husband is in USA. I have applied for federal pr with my spouse as my dependent in May, 2016 and he already has canada visa.

I have to apply for my spouse open work permit but in online application after filling questions.
We did not get any proof of relationship doc upload option. We are just confused about the question which asks for which work permit suits you
a. work permit for PNP certificate Holder, or
b. Spouse work permit of skilled worker or international student.

In our case, I am the certificate holder not he as his name just under dependent category plus I am not student and in regard to skilled worker I am working as Legal Assistant under NOC B category but I think I don't need to apply under skilled worker category. STILL I chose this option.

Can any one suggest that whether I am right track ?
What documents one should not miss in spouse open work permit?
Will there be negative effect of pnp and application for federal pr on SOWP?

Thanks

hakweye

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
Need help for SOWP,

Hi,

I'm applying for ICT , My company has provided all documents to support my application.
However while applying for SOWP, it asks for 'Purpose of Travel - Other' . My Company has informed me I should take care of documents for Spouse, So i'm looking for some help in preparing 'Purpose of Travel - Other' for SOWP..

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Simpson85 said:
Apologies, it's hard to help someone who does not explain the complete situation :-[

The only things that refer to intention/length of stay (in the application) is in the initial questionnaire, before the web app tells you whether you're eligible for some program. Also, my job offer is permanent.

Q: What would you like to do in Canada?
A: Work

Q: How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
A: Temporarily - more than 6 months

If I select "Move there" / "Permanent", or any combination of those two, it tells me I'm eligible for Express Entry (under FSWP, FSTP and CEC). As I have an active PR application (got the ITA through EE in 49th draw), when I click Continue it doesn't let me go through and throws an "Our Online Services Are Currently Down" error. Therefore, I was "forced" to select the options stated above in italic and then I get "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (No Visitor's Visa required)" as a result.

Although the TRV form (Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257)) shows both under my wife's and mine documents checklist, it is in the Optional section - I guess no harm if I don't fill and submit those at all? Also, probably no harm if I fill and submit TRV forms although they may not be needed in our case?

Strange thing is that this "Purpose of Travel - Other (required)" shows up only for my wife, although I have selected the OWP option as her reason to come to Canada. So, what - I can stay as long as I want (e.g. 2 years) and she has to go back home at some point by providing Purpose of Travel? :)

Therefore I'm considering one of the following two options:
1. Kick out my wife from the WP application and apply for myself only. Once the application is approved and we arrive at POE (with one-way tickets), seek her OWP on the spot, if possible. If not, there's no drama, since we'll be getting PR status in a couple of months from our arrival anyway.
2. As I mentioned, just arrive at POE with all the papers I have (PN certificate, WP support letter, offer of employment number, receipt of employer's compliance fee, marriage license, our diplomas, resumes, ECAs, IELTS... everything) and seek both mine and her WPs on the spot.

Thanks so much once again for helping me get through this! Looking forward to your ideas.
So what i understand is that you already have a PR application in process, but you also have a job offer and you intend to come to Canada as a worker and the above application was for a work permit.

With this being true, yes you selection of temp stay, longer than six months is fine. This is for a work permit application so no need to state your PR intent here. CIC already has that info in your separate application.

If you fill TRV form and application it might be confusing because of you belonging to a country not needing a visa to enter Canada. I won't do that if i know i am visa exempt and leave those forms out. Better yet, since they are optional, just upload a brief letter explaining your situation i.e. you are coming here on a work permit and are visa exempt so not including that in your application.

I am not sure why it shows up only for your wife. But a SOWP is issued for the same length of time as the principal applicant. So she could stay with you as long as you are here provided you meet the eligibility requirement. You have to have a skilled job offer NOC 0, A or B in order to be eligible for SOWP. If you have a provincial nomination then, that requirement of being a skilled job no longer holds, but you still need a job offer. Proof of relationship as well as detail of this job offer for you as well as your spouse's past credentials if any (education or work experience can all go into this category of purpose of visit).

Applying alone for yourself and then for your wife at POE might be complicated. They might wonder why you applied for yourself online. Why are you even worrying about all this?

If you qualify to apply for WP at POE as stated towards the end of your above message, just don't apply online. Show up at POE and let them process you both together. Just carry ample proof of every thing including proof of relationship

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Hi,
I am confused about SOWP. I hope you guys will help me.
Here is my situation.
We got SINP(Me as principle applicant and my wife as dependent). She is back in my country(Outside Canada).
We submitted our PR application to federal government and it has been two months(we did not hear anything yet from federal government).
As PR process takes too much time we are planning to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit.

1. I also have NOC A category job and i am under PGWP so based on my job she can apply for open work permit and as far as i know PNP nominee can also apply for open work permit(as she is also a PNP nominee).
which option i should select?
2. I heard CIC does not like to process two application at the same time. Is it true?
3. will SOWP slow down our PR processing(I mean if they reject sowp and also delay our PR process then we will waste more time)
4. Is there any example whose spouse got open work permit being in my situation?
5. What type of documents we need if she want to apply for SOWP?

Thanks

Unsung

Jun 13, 2016
rahman2 said:
Hi,
I am confused about SOWP. I hope you guys will help me.
Here is my situation.
We got SINP(Me as principle applicant and my wife as dependent). She is back in my country(Outside Canada).
We submitted our PR application to federal government and it has been two months(we did not hear anything yet from federal government).
As PR process takes too much time we are planning to apply for Spouse Open Work Permit.

1. I also have NOC A category job and i am under PGWP so based on my job she can apply for open work permit and as far as i know PNP nominee can also apply for open work permit(as she is also a PNP nominee).
which option i should select?
2. I heard CIC does not like to process two application at the same time. Is it true?
3. will SOWP slow down our PR processing(I mean if they reject sowp and also delay our PR process then we will waste more time)
4. Is there any example whose spouse got open work permit being in my situation?
5. What type of documents we need if she want to apply for SOWP?

Thanks
Hi there, I hired an immigration consultant to process my file. So, i can assure you it won't slow down you PR application. I'm in the same situation like yours. In my case my spouse was not even a PNP nominee. I added her as a dependent in my PR application and also applied SOWP. My spouse is here in Canada now. Already got a job and we will be receiving our PR next week possibly. So, don't worry and go ahead apply SOWP for your partner.
cheers

rahman2

Star Member
Feb 15, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2016
Nomination.....
06-09-2016
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Unsung said:
Hi there, I hired an immigration consultant to process my file. So, i can assure you it won't slow down you PR application. I'm in the same situation like yours. In my case my spouse was not even a PNP nominee. I added her as a dependent in my PR application and also applied SOWP. My spouse is here in Canada now. Already got a job and we will be receiving our PR next week possibly. So, don't worry and go ahead apply SOWP for your partner.
cheers
Thanks a lot for your reply. It's a huge relieve to hear from an experienced person.

could you please let me know what type of documents should we submit?

When i fill-up the questionnaire should i select that i have PNP nomination?

Regards,

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friends,

Happy new year!!

I need urgent help, please give your comments. My wife and I are in Canada now. Kindly check the background information section below.

Just some background for you,
- My wife and I, both did masters at Canada. So we both got PGWP separately.
- My PGWP is valid till 2018. Her PGWP is expiring in 2 weeks.
- Received CEC-Invitation to Apply on 12-Jul-2016, submitted e-APR application on 11-Sep-2016 and received AOR on 12-Sep-2016
- I am the primary applicant and my wife is the accompanying applicant for the e-APR application.
- My current job falls in NOC 0,A,B

My wife is currently working based on her PGWP. But her PGWP expires on 17-Jan-2017. After applying for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP), can she continue her work at the current workplace based on the implied status?

Do I need to provide my wife's PGWP scanned copy along with the passport for the SOWP?

Required documents - Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker (IMM5710) (required)

There is a optional document named "Schedule 1 - Application for a Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside Canada (IMM 5257)". Do I need to submit this form?

Unsung

Jun 13, 2016
rahman2 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply. It's a huge relieve to hear from an experienced person.

could you please let me know what type of documents should we submit?

When i fill-up the questionnaire should i select that i have PNP nomination?

Regards,
The following were the documents i handed over to my immigration consultant:
-Marriage Certificate
-Wedding photographs
-Bank Statements (Joint account)

As we are newly married, so i also showed flight tickets, boarding passes, bills, skype history, whatsapp chats. These are the just the extra documents that he asked to submit just to make the case stronger.

And yes, select "yes" for the pnp nomination.

gbharath2

Aug 1, 2015
Hi ,

I got a notification that my open work permit is approved and when called CIC they had mailed the document on Dec 29. Any idea what is the timeline usually for delivery since waiting on it to give my employer asap. Could someone confirm if its a normal canada post /expidited / registered to calculate the timeline for delivery. Any response would help.