+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Need Help

onkesh

Oct 21, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I have a query which is related to the original thread of proof of funds.
Currently a PGWP holder (open work permit).
Working as a senior software engineer after completing my master's.
Already have 3 pay stubs.

I have to apply for SOWP for my wife but my agent is asking me to arrange proof of funds for my wife. She doesn't have more than 2k CAD in her account.
But agent is saying to arrange for 15-20k CAD

What should I do?
I saw the original thread and there was no requirement for proof of funds 2-3 years ago.
Has anything changed recently?

Thanks again!

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I have a query which is related to the original thread of proof of funds.
Currently a PGWP holder (open work permit).
Working as a senior software engineer after completing my master's.
Already have 3 pay stubs.

I have to apply for SOWP for my wife but my agent is asking me to arrange proof of funds for my wife. She doesn't have more than 2k CAD in her account.
But agent is saying to arrange for 15-20k CAD

What should I do?
I saw the original thread and there was no requirement for proof of funds 2-3 years ago.
Has anything changed recently?

Thanks again!
If you have enough money in your account then you can attach your bank statement.

onkesh

Oct 21, 2021
If you have enough money in your account then you can attach your bank statement.
Thank you for the response!
I tried to reason with my agent regarding the same. Why does my wife need to show any funds when I have a sufficient flow of income here in Canada. My documents would be attached eventually.

but, he just keeps on repeating one thing - have to show intent to return.

I was also not allowed to transfer any money to her account. Neither from any of my india accounts or from canada to solve this problem.

what should I do?

shrysevo9

Aug 4, 2022
Hello,
I'm on Closed work permit from Jan 2022, landed on June 24th in Toronto.
i've applied for SOWP for mywife on July 6th. This is the timeline of the applicaiton.
Biometric request : July 7th
Biometric verification : July 12, 2022 Completed
Medical Verification : July 27, 2022 You passed the medical exam. (Medical was done prior application)
Background check : We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Since i had a LMIA for NOC type A, my WP got processed in two months. I have submitted my workpermit in the wife's documents.
According to me since i have a LMIA and a closed WP, this should happen soon. But IRCC might have a diffrent view on this.

Has anyone gone through the same predicament ? what were your timelines for the same ?
I feel i'm stuck because i applied for SOWP before applying for Visitor visa. I'm desperate to get her here sooner, any ideas for this.

I checked with my employer they mentioned we cannot apply for visitor and SOWP together and that its a risk of getting rejected.

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
Thank you for the response!
I tried to reason with my agent regarding the same. Why does my wife need to show any funds when I have a sufficient flow of income here in Canada. My documents would be attached eventually.

but, he just keeps on repeating one thing - have to show intent to return.

I was also not allowed to transfer any money to her account. Neither from any of my india accounts or from canada to solve this problem.

what should I do?
I don’t know why your lawyer keep asking you but I am pretty sure that you can use your bank statement for your spouse.

onkesh

Oct 21, 2021
I don’t know why your lawyer keep asking you but I am pretty sure that you can use your bank statement for your spouse.
can it be a reason that my marriage is less than one year as i got married in April?
Because, he did imply this indirectly.
Rest, i am not sure now. Trying my best to manage things.
Thank you again for your response.
last question from my end - has the processing time improved by any chance for swop or is it still around 35-40 weeks from India?

Jenny1998

Star Member
Jan 5, 2022
Guys please I need our help before my application In review of medical exam say pass on August 30 2021 . yesterday I checked it was saying you do not need medical exam

Destination1

Apr 23, 2022
can it be a reason that my marriage is less than one year as i got married in April?
Because, he did imply this indirectly.
Rest, i am not sure now. Trying my best to manage things.
Thank you again for your response.
last question from my end - has the processing time improved by any chance for swop or is it still around 35-40 weeks from India?
Shouldn’t be reason if the marriage is less than year , you have right to support your spouse, still don’t understand why your lawyer keep asking. Timeline from India, some people are really lucky and getting in 10 to 15 weeks but generally timeframe from India is 40 weeks

Nidsk

Jul 21, 2022
Hello,
I'm on Closed work permit from Jan 2022, landed on June 24th in Toronto.
i've applied for SOWP for mywife on July 6th. This is the timeline of the applicaiton.
Biometric request : July 7th
Biometric verification : July 12, 2022 Completed
Medical Verification : July 27, 2022 You passed the medical exam. (Medical was done prior application)
Background check : We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.

Since i had a LMIA for NOC type A, my WP got processed in two months. I have submitted my workpermit in the wife's documents.
According to me since i have a LMIA and a closed WP, this should happen soon. But IRCC might have a diffrent view on this.

Has anyone gone through the same predicament ? what were your timelines for the same ?
I feel i'm stuck because i applied for SOWP before applying for Visitor visa. I'm desperate to get her here sooner, any ideas for this.

I checked with my employer they mentioned we cannot apply for visitor and SOWP together and that its a risk of getting rejected.
My timeline are pretty same. Applied on Jun 6th
Biometrics from previous application
Medical pass - Jul 5
No update after that.
Eligibility review not yet started.

parthvzala

Aug 27, 2022
Do we need to show proof of funds for SPOUSE OPEN WORK PERMIT - If the sponsor is working on a NOC B job in Canada on a PGWP?

Experts please do help
Hi, can you please share how did your application go with that fund? did your spouse in other country showed any funds there?
I'll appreciate if you can share your experience. thank you.

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
Hey there. So, I'm about to apply for my spouse and kids. I'm a PGWP holder. I have NOC B Full time job and a NOC C part time job. I have more than 6 months of pay slips for both the job. My friends managed to lend me some funds and my Canadian bank account balance is close to $18,000.

1)Is it ok if I show the statement of my bank which would reveal the funds being loaned? I tried asking my bank CIBC to give me a balance certificate but they wouldn't comply.
2)I logged in to NETBANKING and saved as PDF which shows my current balance with the login details and my name appearing. Should that be fine?

3)Also, me and my wife don't own any property but my wife's mother is willing to sponsor her for the duration of the stay and also showed CAD $325,708.40 property value. Would this strengthen my spouse and kids application?

If 1 and 2 doesn't work I might open an account in Scotia bank as they are willing to provide balance certificate with Bank Seal. The only problem is my friends who loaned the amount should wait a bit longer.

ALEX.BIRSEN

Nov 10, 2022
Hello need your inputs :)

I have three years work permit and my spouse has a SOWP valid for the same duration.

I lost my job this week and now I am looking for a new job. Can my spouse still work during this time?

In brief, can my spouse who is on SOWP still work, if I am unemployed?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello need your inputs :)

I have three years work permit and my spouse has a SOWP valid for the same duration.

I lost my job this week and now I am looking for a new job. Can my spouse still work during this time?

In brief, can my spouse who is on SOWP still work, if I am unemployed?
Yes

Ash_dc

May 29, 2019
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to clarify.

i have been working since December on my pgwp in a Teer 2 full time job.
I get paid bi-weekly and have 4 pay stubs.

Is the paystub requirement monthly or are my bank statements, proof of job and 4 biweekly stubs enough on my end.
we will also attach proof of funds from back home in my spouse's account

Miracle2018

Jan 3, 2018
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to clarify.

i have been working since December on my pgwp in a Teer 2 full time job.
I get paid bi-weekly and have 4 pay stubs.

Is the paystub requirement monthly or are my bank statements, proof of job and 4 biweekly stubs enough on my end.
we will also attach proof of funds from back home in my spouse's account
3 biweekly paystubs are sufficient ! Infact starting January 30, 2023, the eligibility criteria for SOWP has been expanded to include spouses of work permit holders with job in any TEER category (0-5)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/bring-family.html