+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Visa - Arrival Process

vareynick

Feb 25, 2024
Hi All,

I am looking for guidance on our proposed timeline for moving to Canada.

A bit of info on our situation: wife is Canadian (born and raised), we live in London UK currently, have undertaken a spousal sponsorship, which is just being finalised now (submitted passport etc info today, awaiting CoPR letter following that). My wife is 4 months pregnant.

We have set a target for moving to Canada in November 2024, which is when our current tenancy agreement ends. We also are set up for the birth here, we both have work commitments so moving over before then feels impractical at present. My medical however expressed mid October. What we are thinking is that I fly over to Toronto once my CoPR comes through, thereby landing in Canada. I will then submit for my PR card. I will only stay as long as necessary to submit my PR Card form so I can get back to my family. My in-laws who reside in Toronto will bring the card with them when they come to meet their grandchild! I am assuming I can then use the PR Card without issue to get back into Canada.

A few questions:

- Is the above process allowed? If any aspects are not, can you please advise specifics so we can adapt our plan
- I have read some confusing advise on land borders. Am I required to cross into the US prior to flying back to the UK for this initial trip?
- I was going to renew my UK passport prior to our move to Canada in November, but not before this initial trip over (it is valid until June 2025). Is this ok, or will it create issues.

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

A bit of info on our situation: wife is Canadian (born and raised), we live in London UK currently, have undertaken a spousal sponsorship, which is just being finalised now (submitted passport etc info today, awaiting CoPR letter following that). My wife is 4 months pregnant.

We have set a target for moving to Canada in November 2024, which is when our current tenancy agreement ends. We also are set up for the birth here, we both have work commitments so moving over before then feels impractical at present. My medical however expressed mid October. What we are thinking is that I fly over to Toronto once my CoPR comes through, thereby landing in Canada. I will then submit for my PR card. I will only stay as long as necessary to submit my PR Card form so I can get back to my family. My in-laws who reside in Toronto will bring the card with them when they come to meet their grandchild! I am assuming I can then use the PR Card without issue to get back into Canada.

A few questions:

- Is the above process allowed? If any aspects are not, can you please advise specifics so we can adapt our plan
- I have read some confusing advise on land borders. Am I required to cross into the US prior to flying back to the UK for this initial trip?
- I was going to renew my UK passport prior to our move to Canada in November, but not before this initial trip over (it is valid until June 2025). Is this ok, or will it create issues.

Thanks!
Your wife is 4 months pregnant, so why won't you conduct a soft landing and come back to UK to sort out things? Btw, you don't need to submit for getting PR card, it will be mailed to you if you provide your Canadian address. If no address or the officer did not accept your address, you can apply later.

vareynick

Feb 25, 2024
Your wife is 4 months pregnant, so why won't you conduct a soft landing and come back to UK to sort out things? Btw, you don't need to submit for getting PR card, it will be mailed to you if you provide your Canadian address. If no address or the officer did not accept your address, you can apply later.
Thank you. It won't be possible for us to move prior, but I will be able to fly over on my own to 'land' before then. Re the address, is this something that I will be asked to provide at the airport when I arrive on this first visit?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. It won't be possible for us to move prior, but I will be able to fly over on my own to 'land' before then. Re the address, is this something that I will be asked to provide at the airport when I arrive on this first visit?
Yes, the officer doing the landing procedures should ask and confirm, but you should ask to check it (esp if they don't ask). BTW best not to get into that this is just a 'mailing' address, just say this is where you'll be residing for the time being.

vareynick

Feb 25, 2024
Yes, the officer doing the landing procedures should ask and confirm, but you should ask to check it (esp if they don't ask). BTW best not to get into that this is just a 'mailing' address, just say this is where you'll be residing for the time being.
Thank you for this. Will me having a return ticket be an issue in this regard? Should I actually be buying a one way ticket in, and then another one way ticket from Canada once ive landed?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for this. Will me having a return ticket be an issue in this regard? Should I actually be buying a one way ticket in, and then another one way ticket from Canada once ive landed?
I doubt cbsa is going to interrogate you about having a return ticket (or even ask). Dont' volunteer unnecessary info.

If they ask and it comes up, just say you're going back for a short while to tie up loose ends, haven't bought your next ticket to Canada yet.

In general, this seems a bit random, but they (or at least some officers) don't seem to like sending 'just' to mailing addresses (esp post boxes and whatnot). For obvious reasons, this comes up more for those who are doing short landings and only staying for very short periods, but also for those who make it explicit it's just a mailing address. If it should somehow get into detail, you're staying there for time being and it's a solid secure address for you to receive the card at. Not unusual to stay with relatives until settled and rest of family joins.

But again: if you don't volunteer unnecessary info, probably won't come up.

[To be honest it's not entirely clear why they focus on this sometimes - my intuition is it's partly concern about identity fraud and related, like people getting their hands on others' PR cards to use them to work illegally,etc.]

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi All,

A few questions:

Thanks!
- soft landing is commonly done due to COPR expiry date and people need to go back and tie up the loose ends before they can settle in Canada.
- This is for entering into Canada without PR card. (e.g. you need to travel to Canada after you have landed but you haven't received your PR card from your in law yet) The land crossing from US would allow you to enter into Canada with the COPR (without PR card)
- This is OK. It's after you have landed as a PR.