+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

UC_91

Feb 23, 2022
Hi guys,

Sorry I'm new to the forum and might be asking a very basic question but here it is, my predicament:

I have applied FSW Canada visa, Nov 2019 AOR. Medicals & Biometrics were done. Medical now expired, long silence thanks to covid. I am currently living in Australia and would have liked to get Nikah done over skype (got engaged recently). To fulfil this religious obligation. However I can't because Canada doesn't accept Nikah over skype as per my information. But I also, can't travel any time before end of 2022 as well. Is there a way I can at least do Nikah? I will surely have a walima in Pakistan before filing her papers? So there will be walima pics where I am present in Pakistan for sure. Would that still be a problem?

Legally speaking partners can get spousal sponsorship even without marriage. Long time girl friends/ fiancés do qualify for spousal visas. But am I expected to face any issues considering covid and how God damn expensive it is to travel these days?

Can hiring a lawyer or raising a web form help in my situation?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Reactions: Shehzad kausar

Shehzad kausar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
my wife file approved after 2 years, so do not worry you will get the PPR soon
i came to know that now appkications submitted online for spouse based immigration are processed very quickly, some people got results in 6 to 8 months. got pr, i think previously the processing time was very slow, also because of covid-19

Shehzad kausar

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
Hi guys,

Sorry I'm new to the forum and might be asking a very basic question but here it is, my predicament:

I have applied FSW Canada visa, Nov 2019 AOR. Medicals & Biometrics were done. Medical now expired, long silence thanks to covid. I am currently living in Australia and would have liked to get Nikah done over skype (got engaged recently). To fulfil this religious obligation. However I can't because Canada doesn't accept Nikah over skype as per my information. But I also, can't travel any time before end of 2022 as well. Is there a way I can at least do Nikah? I will surely have a walima in Pakistan before filing her papers? So there will be walima pics where I am present in Pakistan for sure. Would that still be a problem?

Legally speaking partners can get spousal sponsorship even without marriage. Long time girl friends/ fiancés do qualify for spousal visas. But am I expected to face any issues considering covid and how God damn expensive it is to travel these days?

Please advise.

Thank you!
i dont know how visa officer will consider your case, as the website clearly says that nikkah performed online will not be accepted, when you will fill forms, there will be metioned: at the time of marriage registration both were physically present or no. i think you better find a good consultant befor you apply.

Reactions: UC_91

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
The Tracker doesn't have a column for temp or prospective AORs, at least in Outland it doesn't.
I still dont get what it is assuming its something that comes before AOR of which I thought it was the first thing you'd get after submitting the app.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
i came to know that now appkications submitted online for spouse based immigration are processed very quickly, some people got results in 6 to 8 months. got pr, i think previously the processing time was very slow, also because of covid-19
How long to get the AOR though?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Please advise.

Thank you!
The rules are actually pretty much the same for spousal sponsorship as they are in your case. The one exception is the conjugal class for spousal sponsorship however this is open to an extremely limited number of scenarios where marriage and common law are truly impossible (travel restrictions don't count).

You either need to be married. (And you're right, proxy marriages are not recognized by IRCC.) Or you must have lived together for one year continuously to be considered common law. A lawyer can't change these rules and neither can raising a webform.

If you want to add your spouse to your existing FSW application, then you will need to get married through an in-person ceremony before you become a PR.

Otherwise you'll need to wait until after you become a PR to get married in person and sponsor your spouse separately.

Reactions: UC_91

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
If anyone here is from Russia, I have some advice.

I messaged the warsaw visa office today (WSAWIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca), and asked them to please look at my application. I expressed my worry about the situation, and desire for us to move to Canada ASAP. We had received Pre-Arrival a month ago, but no updates since.

About 90 minutes later, they sent a passport request.

I can't say for sure that it was due to my email, but I really doubt it was a coincidence.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If anyone here is from Russia, I have some advice.

I messaged the warsaw visa office today (WSAWIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca), and asked them to please look at my application. I expressed my worry about the situation, and desire for us to move to Canada ASAP. We had received Pre-Arrival a month ago, but no updates since.

About 90 minutes later, they sent a passport request.

I can't say for sure that it was due to my email, but I really doubt it was a coincidence.
I was just listening to news and they announced a package of immigration/consular measures for Ukraine, and mentioned warsaw and other embassy/immigration offices geared up and ready to go. Obviously first priority is those in Ukraine but I've no doubt they'll want Canadians and family members to get out of Russia if they can too.

varuncbe123

May 24, 2015
hi All,

I am a permanent resident, and applied for a sponsored for my wife on Nov 18th 2021, outland paper. I travelled to India this week, on a family emergency and we received the pre arrival letter today So should I travel back to Canada, as it might hamper the final decision ?

Last edited:

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
I was just listening to news and they announced a package of immigration/consular measures for Ukraine, and mentioned warsaw and other embassy/immigration offices geared up and ready to go. Obviously first priority is those in Ukraine but I've no doubt they'll want Canadians and family members to get out of Russia if they can too.
Yeah, unfortunately it seems as if it will be a few weeks before we can actually leave. We hope to send off the passport tomorrow, and aren't really sure how soon to expect it back. Not only that, but we will need to start selling things, and getting our cats vaccinated.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, unfortunately it seems as if it will be a few weeks before we can actually leave. We hope to send off the passport tomorrow, and aren't really sure how soon to expect it back. Not only that, but we will need to start selling things, and getting our cats vaccinated.
Would hesitate to guess but previous experiences were about two weeks, plus or minus. Minus more likely if in Moscow where courier service very fast, probably only an extra day or two for Peter, don't know about other places. Make sure to get your photos for submission the right size (NOT the same as for TRV), provide height and eye colour, and check the fees payable with VFS very carefully. And for contact info to be very clear, more clear than seems possible (they were sending us notices by wrong email that wasn't often used ... ). Oh, and two separate consent forms for VFS.

I also have no idea what flights might be available.

efie

Dec 3, 2020
canada
Category........
Other
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
hi All,

I am a permanent resident, and applied for a sponsored for my wife on Nov 18th 2021, outland paper. I travelled to India this week, on a family emergency and we received the pre arrival letter today So should I travel back to Canada, as it might hamper the final decision ?
Pre-arrival is nothing so continue your trip but don't stay too long before staying there rather hamper the sponsorship

SLCtoYEG

Oct 1, 2021
Category........
FAM
I still dont get what it is assuming its something that comes before AOR of which I thought it was the first thing you'd get after submitting the app.
Yes, often Inland applicants get the Pre-AOR so they have a temp file # in case they need to submit additional docs or want to apply for an OWP or something and attach it to their sponsorship app before they get their actual AOR and file #.