+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
So as a citizen, you can sponsor from abroad.

The most significant difference of marking whether you exclusively live abroad is that as a citizen-sponsor abroad, you'll have to show your intent to return to Canada. Given everything you've said above, demonstrating that shouldn't be difficult at all.

You haven't indicated how long your 'temporary' move to join your fiance/spouse has been, and how long you expect it to be. Ultimately you'll have to decide how to submit.

If you want a guess - here's how I'd look at it; less than six months total is pretty easy to defend as temporary (in this context), more than a year is living somewhere else. In-between - may depend on circumstances but harder to delineate - if someone had already returned and was saying their 8-month sojourn was temporary, sounds plausible; if it remains open-ended (i.e. not yet returned but just a plan to keep at 8 months), I'd be skeptical.

You can write a letter of explanation either way. Note that I don't think there's any clear indication either type takes longer, but IRCC seems to be routinely asking citizen-sponsors abroad to update their plans to return towards end of process. (And invariably a fair number of those sponsors have actually not made much preparations and that request comes as a surprise and freaks them out).

Note also: don't know your plans but you can apply for TRV for spouse, and if granted, return to Canada together earlier. And if you do return to Canada during the process (to stay), advise IRCC - actually having returned is very good evidence of intent to return.
Thank you so much for detailed answer. Yes, I can sponsor, for sure. I was not sure what to say about exclusive live abroad, cause this is not true, at least as I can see it.

For me return to Canada is not just an intend, its a life critical. I have work there and our new office will be ready soon. My son has to finish school. My parents are there. etc etc.

I am 1 year with my fiance for now. Unfortunately I dont see any workarounds.

1. We applied for TRV 11 month ago and it was rejected in Feb this year.
2. I asked MP what do to. IRCC suggested sponsorship. So for common law we need to live 1 year together.
3. Noone answered simple question - where we supposed to live together? As Canadian, I am inadmissible to my fiance country due to COVID, her TRV was rejected. So I am not sure at all what officials are thinking, but its totally inhumane and contradictory.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much for detailed answer. Yes, I can sponsor, for sure. I was not sure what to say about exclusive live abroad, cause this is not true, at least as I can see it.

For me return to Canada is not just an intend, its a life critical. I have work there and our new office will be ready soon. My son has to finish school. My parents are there. etc etc.

I am 1 year with my fiance for now. Unfortunately I dont see any workarounds.

1. We applied for TRV 11 month ago and it was rejected in Feb this year.
2. I asked MP what do to. IRCC suggested sponsorship. So for common law we need to live 1 year together.
3. Noone answered simple question - where we supposed to live together? As Canadian, I am inadmissible to my fiance country due to COVID, her TRV was rejected. So I am not sure at all what officials are thinking, but its totally inhumane and contradictory.
If you have been or are living outside country for more than one year, that's living exclusively outside Canada (in my view).

No big deal: apply as canadian sponsor abroad. if all is as you say, you won't have issues demonstrating intent to return to Canada.

You didn't mention that you are not yet married or officially common law. That makes the timeline more clear - you will have to be out of canada more than one year.

Important note: if you are attmepting to establish common law, my view is you MUST say living outside Canada exclusively - living exclusively together is one way you demonstrate common law. ("We are cohabitating but just in different countries" is, uh, stupid).

Sorry, but I don't follow the rest of your timeline or details (they're not here). You haven't explained why you can't marry. Don't know what inadmissible to her country means. Etc. But that's okay, just can't comment - you need to work these things out.

About all I can say: there is nothing wrong with applying for TRV more than once. Sometimes people have more luck with subsequent attempts (including during covid). Indeed it would be a bit weird if people who REALLY want to live together in Canada didn't try more than once, and it won't hurt your sponsorship app.

Reactions: pix530

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
If you have been or are living outside country for more than one year, that's living exclusively outside Canada (in my view).

No big deal: apply as canadian sponsor abroad. if all is as you say, you won't have issues demonstrating intent to return to Canada.

You didn't mention that you are not yet married or officially common law. That makes the timeline more clear - you will have to be out of canada more than one year.

Important note: if you are attmepting to establish common law, my view is you MUST say living outside Canada exclusively - living exclusively together is one way you demonstrate common law. ("We are cohabitating but just in different countries" is, uh, stupid).

Sorry, but I don't follow the rest of your timeline or details (they're not here). You haven't explained why you can't marry. Don't know what inadmissible to her country means. Etc. But that's okay, just can't comment - you need to work these things out.

About all I can say: there is nothing wrong with applying for TRV more than once. Sometimes people have more luck with subsequent attempts (including during covid). Indeed it would be a bit weird if people who REALLY want to live together in Canada didn't try more than once, and it won't hurt your sponsorship app.
Right, Thank you so much, so I will say that I live exclusively outside of Canada then.
Yes, everything I said is true and we are common law, at least for now.
Yes, cohabitating in different countries seems wrong.

TRV was rejected, as I wrote and explained everything as is, but they think as I understood later as dual intend. TRV as per IRCC means someone will leave the country, but it was not our case.
Sure we will try again for TRV, after we apply for sponsorship. This is very important for us to come back to Canada ASAP, my employer demands me back, my son cant pass tests at school and he cant play ice hockey here of course. Many factors, but income and kids are number one.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Right, Thank you so much, so I will say that I live exclusively outside of Canada then.
Yes, everything I said is true and we are common law, at least for now.
Yes, cohabitating in different countries seems wrong.

TRV was rejected, as I wrote and explained everything as is, but they found dual intend. TRV as per IRCC means someone will leave the country, but it was not our case.
Sure we will try again for TRV, after we apply for sponsorship. This is very important for us to come back to Canada ASAP, my employer demands me back, my son cant pass tests at school and he cant play ice hockey here of course. Many factors, but income and kids are number one.
Getting a TRV is not easy when the intent is primarily to remain in Canada. But you can try; sometimes they're merciful. You should also look at the other forums for TRV - it helps to show the spouse has ties to home country and will respect terms of entry (meaning depart if needed).

But your priority should be on applying for spousal sponsorship ASAP.

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
Getting a TRV is not easy when the intent is primarily to remain in Canada. But you can try; sometimes they're merciful. You should also look at the other forums for TRV - it helps to show the spouse has ties to home country and will respect terms of entry (meaning depart if needed).

But your priority should be on applying for spousal sponsorship ASAP.
Yes, My plan was to get TRV and come to Canada, see if she likes it (she lived better live than an average Canadian) and live together, so we can see if there is a future for us, then potentially apply for sponsorship inland.
However, life and IRCC made other decisions for us. We are in love, and we cant live separate and apart. So wedding is coming.

My love visited many countries, including China, Indonesia, many European countries, she had her own new condo, car, she got University degree and experience working for well known companies. Her mom is Director of very big company and her dad is successful businessman. So she doesn't need Canada at all, she will live where I will. Simple.

We are getting documents ready, Its over 70 documents we produced so far. Just 3 papers that we are working on now.
Hope to apply next week (on Monday I should get paperwork from local bank as we have joint account with fiancé).

marcello81

Apr 30, 2021
Yes, My plan was to get TRV and come to Canada, see if she likes it (she lived better live than an average Canadian) and live together, so we can see if there is a future for us, then potentially apply for sponsorship inland.
However, life and IRCC made other decisions for us. We are in love, and we cant live separate and apart. So wedding is coming.

My love visited many countries, including China, Indonesia, many European countries, she had her own new condo, car, she got University degree and experience working for well known companies. Her mom is Director of very big company and her dad is successful businessman. So she doesn't need Canada at all, she will live where I will. Simple.

We are getting documents ready, Its over 70 documents we produced so far. Just 3 papers that we are working on now.
Hope to apply next week (on Monday I should get paperwork from local bank as we have joint account with fiancé).
Are you sure you want to bring your fiancee to canada? If she already has a great life where she is right now, I wouldn´t bother about canada. It is not
worth it. Either way you are sepparated for a long time or she won´t be able to work for a long time. Can´t you live with her in her home country and enjoy life there?

Avani15

Apr 13, 2021
Hi!
Is there any document/authority that can prove that the sponsor has not availed social assistance/EI? (For Ontario)
Our file is undergoing social assistance check, but there has been no movement on the file since more than 2 months now. So we are looking to proactively submit some proof that we've not availed any social assistance.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Swedha

Feb 29, 2020
Guys so can someone help me answering this question.

If i get a PR and go to canada by putting spouse as non-accompanying, how long does it take for me to sponsor my spouse after I land in Canada?
Do i just need to have a job or do i need to have a job and pay taxes for a year before I can even apply to sponsor him? If this is the case it will take 2 long years. Is this the case or can i apply for sponsorship as soon as i land in canada ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Guys so can someone help me answering this question.

If i get a PR and go to canada by putting spouse as non-accompanying, how long does it take for me to sponsor my spouse after I land in Canada?
Do i just need to have a job or do i need to have a job and pay taxes for a year before I can even apply to sponsor him? If this is the case it will take 2 long years. Is this the case or can i apply for sponsorship as soon as i land in canada ?
You can apply as soon as you land.

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
Are you sure you want to bring your fiancee to canada? If she already has a great life where she is right now, I wouldn´t bother about canada. It is not
worth it. Either way you are sepparated for a long time or she won´t be able to work for a long time. Can´t you live with her in her home country and enjoy life there?
We are totally sure we want and we will be together. Right now she is with me in 3rd country temporary, so she left her great life to be with me. We will see how it will be in Canada. As I mentioned future is not predictable - I was confident about TRV.
Why would not she be able to work for a long time? (she speaks English, worked for all known global companies, and she is very smart.

In her country I am inadmissable even to visit (we tried) - officials said due to covid no visitors.
I cant work there too - they allow work only citizens, with very few exceptions. And I have kids and parents in Canada.

I can enjoy life anywhere, where she is. Its most important. We would even stay where we are now, but I have obligations and need to return.
Then we will see what to do. Its hard, but we will find a solution.

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
if the sponsor got a new passport while the spousal sponsorship is ongoing, should the sponsor send the copy of new passport immediately through webform?

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
Not really important for the sponsor, but still good form to send them.
i did send my passport copy during the initial application. but upon looking at the checklist, they did not mentioned passport from sponsor. only PR card.

i was thinking if i send a copy of new passport, it might cause issue in the application. my old passport has a name "<nickname> AKA <real name>"

and now, on the new passport, its only "<real name>"

so in the initial application. i wrote that long name, they might reject our application or they might say to re-submit since name change is a big deal.

arghikhanoom

Feb 23, 2021
Hello,
It is a silly question, but...
In different places in the checklist, they mentioned rental agreements or marital documents.. Should I put 2 copies of these documents, each for the specific part, or just one is enough?