+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Mohsin patel

Nov 28, 2018
My point is you apply for the citizneship, you apply for the passport - either at same time or one right after the other. (To apply for the passport they may require you to show you applied for the citizenship).

That's how they would issue you the 'temp' passport on urgent basis. Sometime later, when already in Canada, you get the citzienship cert and new passport when needed; you're waiting in Canada instead.

I do not know how long for the passport. Ask at consulate.

When I said I do not recall - I just don't remember - as I said, you either apply for both together to same location, or one and then the other (showing copies of your application). To figure it out - look it up.
thank you for answer, sorry for lots of questioning.

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
I have a question regarding Exclusive living outside of Canada. I am Sponsor, and currently temporary live outland with my fiancé.
I am not sure what to say - cause I have job, kid from previous marriage, parents, apartment, car, bank account and I pay taxes in Canada. My move was temporary.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a question regarding Exclusive living outside of Canada. I am Sponsor, and currently temporary live outland with my fiancé.
I am not sure what to say - cause I have job, kid from previous marriage, parents, apartment, car, bank account and I pay taxes in Canada. My move was temporary.
Are you, the sponsor, a PR or a citizen?

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
Are you, the sponsor, a PR or a citizen?
I am Canadian Citizen. So I can understand when someone breaks all ties to Canada, has nothing to do with Canada, and exclusively lives abroad.
But I have everything in Canada, except I had to move abroad to live with my fiancé.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am Canadian Citizen. So I can understand when someone breaks all ties to Canada, has nothing to do with Canada, and exclusively lives abroad.
But I have everything in Canada, except I had to move abroad to live with my fiancé.
So as a citizen, you can sponsor from abroad.

The most significant difference of marking whether you exclusively live abroad is that as a citizen-sponsor abroad, you'll have to show your intent to return to Canada. Given everything you've said above, demonstrating that shouldn't be difficult at all.

You haven't indicated how long your 'temporary' move to join your fiance/spouse has been, and how long you expect it to be. Ultimately you'll have to decide how to submit.

If you want a guess - here's how I'd look at it; less than six months total is pretty easy to defend as temporary (in this context), more than a year is living somewhere else. In-between - may depend on circumstances but harder to delineate - if someone had already returned and was saying their 8-month sojourn was temporary, sounds plausible; if it remains open-ended (i.e. not yet returned but just a plan to keep at 8 months), I'd be skeptical.

You can write a letter of explanation either way. Note that I don't think there's any clear indication either type takes longer, but IRCC seems to be routinely asking citizen-sponsors abroad to update their plans to return towards end of process. (And invariably a fair number of those sponsors have actually not made much preparations and that request comes as a surprise and freaks them out).

Note also: don't know your plans but you can apply for TRV for spouse, and if granted, return to Canada together earlier. And if you do return to Canada during the process (to stay), advise IRCC - actually having returned is very good evidence of intent to return.

Reactions: pix530

Bardaniel

Nov 17, 2021
Hello, please can somebody advice or encourage me. I got married and applied for spousal sponsorship /work permit in February 2021, got response from IRCC and completed my biometrics requirements February/ March 2021.
Until now, I have not received any information on way forward as am getting frustrated of not be able to even work.
Pls I need an advice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, please can somebody advice or encourage me. I got married and applied for spousal sponsorship /work permit in February 2021, got response from IRCC and completed my biometrics requirements February/ March 2021.
Until now, I have not received any information on way forward as am getting frustrated of not be able to even work.
Pls I need an advice.
Order gcms notes. But so far, timeline is within expectations.

Reactions: Bardaniel

knighrider

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
I applied for spousal sponsorship in April 2021, Medical biometric completed in May and June respectively, the file hasnt yet updated the medical results.
File moved to NDVO I recieved a document request they asked for wedding pictures showing traditional customs performed, as per instructions emailed them.
No further updates.

Any body in similar situation or have been through.

Bardaniel

Nov 17, 2021
I applied for spousal sponsorship in April 2021, Medical biometric completed in May and June respectively, the file hasnt yet updated the medical results.
File moved to NDVO I recieved a document request they asked for wedding pictures showing traditional customs performed, as per instructions emailed them.
No further updates.

Any body in similar situation or have been through.
I've gone the -check my application status and it just saying " they are currently on May 3 to May 9 2020 and am afriad this seems to take forever. Pls , is there any other way I can check the current position of my file.

Bardaniel

Nov 17, 2021
My application was received and acknowledged on the 3rd of March 2021 . However, Online application status says they are still processing 3 - 9 May 2020 and am afriad this seems to take forever. Pls , is there any other way I can check the current position of my file.

knighrider

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
However, Online application status says they are still processing 3 - 9 May 2020 and am afriad this seems to take forever.
Repeat, order your GCMS notes.

The "we are still processing [date]" message does NOT mean they are not processing files submitted after that. They process files in parallel, not sequentially.

That message means (basically) that IRCC is reaching appr 80% completion for files submitted during that 3-9 may timeframe. Obviously almost 80% of files get completed more rapidly. They are still catching up from past backlogs.

Look at the tracker for your month to get a better idea. It seems more recent files are getting closer to the expected 12 month timeframe (which was also based on 80% of files taking less than 12 months).

pix530

Dec 3, 2015
So as a citizen, you can sponsor from abroad.

The most significant difference of marking whether you exclusively live abroad is that as a citizen-sponsor abroad, you'll have to show your intent to return to Canada. Given everything you've said above, demonstrating that shouldn't be difficult at all.

You haven't indicated how long your 'temporary' move to join your fiance/spouse has been, and how long you expect it to be. Ultimately you'll have to decide how to submit.

If you want a guess - here's how I'd look at it; less than six months total is pretty easy to defend as temporary (in this context), more than a year is living somewhere else. In-between - may depend on circumstances but harder to delineate - if someone had already returned and was saying their 8-month sojourn was temporary, sounds plausible; if it remains open-ended (i.e. not yet returned but just a plan to keep at 8 months), I'd be skeptical.

You can write a letter of explanation either way. Note that I don't think there's any clear indication either type takes longer, but IRCC seems to be routinely asking citizen-sponsors abroad to update their plans to return towards end of process. (And invariably a fair number of those sponsors have actually not made much preparations and that request comes as a surprise and freaks them out).

Note also: don't know your plans but you can apply for TRV for spouse, and if granted, return to Canada together earlier. And if you do return to Canada during the process (to stay), advise IRCC - actually having returned is very good evidence of intent to return.
Thank you so much for detailed answer. Yes, I can sponsor, for sure. I was not sure what to say about exclusive live abroad, cause this is not true, at least as I can see it.

For me return to Canada is not just an intend, its a life critical. I have work there and our new office will be ready soon. My son has to finish school. My parents are there. etc etc.

I am 1 year with my fiance for now. Unfortunately I dont see any workarounds.

1. We applied for TRV 11 month ago and it was rejected in Feb this year.
2. I asked MP what do to. IRCC suggested sponsorship. So for common law we need to live 1 year together.
3. Noone answered simple question - where we supposed to live together? As Canadian, I am inadmissible to my fiance country due to COVID, her TRV was rejected. So I am not sure at all what officials are thinking, but its totally inhumane and contradictory.