+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Sandy2020

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

I hope you guys have any suggestions. My spouse is Canadian in Canada. I am a from Philippines working in the middle east. We just recently submitted our outland application and was delivered to Sydney office last Sep 28 as per DHL. We haven't received any response from IRCC though.

Unfortunately I might return to Philippines by end of this month as my company started laying off employees. Will it affect our spousal application if I change my location and my job status immediately after submitting the application? and how will we be able to update ircc if this happened and we still didn't get the aor? Thank you so much!
It doesn't effect your application. Once you get your AOr you can update your address.Cpc not inform applicants about receiving applicants . First step is Aor so wait for that .

Sandy2020

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
I sent a paper application for spouse sponsorship, PA has finished biometrics.

If i need to give an update regarding my (sponsor) employment status (new employment), should i just send the required documents through online webform?
Yes , but mention file no, otherwise there is no use to send information about the new job .

Reactions: keys8014

uzairahmed.m

Oct 14, 2021
Hi everyone - I have a bit of a unique situation and wanted advice from someone who has been in a similar situation before. I'm a Canadian PR holder and I'm trying to sponsor my wife who is a US green card holder. Currently, she is with me in Canada based on an ETA, now with an ETA you are allowed to stay in country for no more than 6 months, you need to exit and then re enter the country every 6 months (weird, but that's how it is).

I've read on CIC that if you're applying for inland spousal sponsorship, it becomes very difficult for you to enter the country again once exited because that makes the border officials suspicious about the genuineness of your marriage.

Judging from some of the comments I've read on these forums I understand it takes longer than 6 months to receive an AOR, once an AOR is received I'll have to apply for an open work permit (with the new permanent residence portal you can't submit PR application & OWP at the same time, you need to wait for the AOR to be able to submit for OWP) the problem with that is she needs to be back in US before the end of 6 months to keep her US residency status active.

If my wife decides to go ahead with her Canadian sponsorship and abandon her green card status, will she have any issues residing in Canada as the only reason she was allowed to enter in Canada was based on her green card? Secondly, will she have issues travelling to the US in the future if she abandons her green card?

Would appreciate a response, I know it's a bit of a stick situation and not many people would've faced something like this...

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Why bothered with things which are not related to your case. If you are sponsoring her, professional activities are needless unless they ask for an update. If there is A change your life, you have to report it since it can have an impact on your file; unfortunately a change of work/employer do not have impacts on spousal files in process. You are free to report or not to report professional activities.
The application asks for her employment history, and as a Russian, she has to supply a copy of her workbook.
By getting a new job, it means that the workbook copy that we provided, is no longer current.

In one sentence you say that we have to report life changes because they impact the file, but the next sentence you say that employment doesn't make a difference. These points conflict with eachother.

Scarpetta

Star Member
Apr 28, 2021
Category........
FAM
The application asks for her employment history, and as a Russian, she has to supply a copy of her workbook.
By getting a new job, it means that the workbook copy that we provided, is no longer current.

In one sentence you say that we have to report life changes because they impact the file, but the next sentence you say that employment doesn't make a difference. These points conflict with eachother.
Have you considered sending a webform saying something along the lines of "this is to notify you of the change of employment of Mrs razor787. Employment A terminated on <date>, employment B commenced on <date>". This way you would have notified them, and it would be up to them to ask for further information if they want it, but you would have been upfront and honest with them about the change of circumstances.
I wouldn't offer up an updated copy of the labour book, but would be prepared to provide it if they ask for it at a later date. In the end of the day I don't believe it makes any sense for IRCC to ask for an updated labour book as your wife is not an EE applicant (and not an economic migrant in general), her employment history or education is of little relevance here.

Vbabe

Sep 16, 2021
Hello Everyone
Please is AstraZeneca vaccine acceptable for Canada immigration. Please urgent answer before I take it now. Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone - I have a bit of a unique situation and wanted advice from someone who has been in a similar situation before. I'm a Canadian PR holder and I'm trying to sponsor my wife who is a US green card holder. Currently, she is with me in Canada based on an ETA, now with an ETA you are allowed to stay in country for no more than 6 months, you need to exit and then re enter the country every 6 months (weird, but that's how it is).

I've read on CIC that if you're applying for inland spousal sponsorship, it becomes very difficult for you to enter the country again once exited because that makes the border officials suspicious about the genuineness of your marriage.

Judging from some of the comments I've read on these forums I understand it takes longer than 6 months to receive an AOR, once an AOR is received I'll have to apply for an open work permit (with the new permanent residence portal you can't submit PR application & OWP at the same time, you need to wait for the AOR to be able to submit for OWP) the problem with that is she needs to be back in US before the end of 6 months to keep her US residency status active.

If my wife decides to go ahead with her Canadian sponsorship and abandon her green card status, will she have any issues residing in Canada as the only reason she was allowed to enter in Canada was based on her green card? Secondly, will she have issues travelling to the US in the future if she abandons her green card?

Would appreciate a response, I know it's a bit of a stick situation and not many people would've faced something like this...
There's a lot to unpack here but in brief:
-Your spouse doesn't need to leave to extend her stay - she can also apply to extend the existing stay. This would mean she doesn't have to keep leaving and coming back. (It could be refused of course but for case of a spouse with an existing PR app, probably won't be - less chance of issues than at the border really)
-If she needs to leave Canada periodically, she can also apply as residing outside Canada (outland) who just happens to be in Canada. That way no issue if out of the country. The disadvantage is she cannot apply for or get an open work permit - she'd only be able to work once the PR status finalized.

-Returning to Canada - it's unlikely they'd refuse entry because they 'doubt the genuineness of marriage.' More likely reason would be doubting the person would leave at end of allowed stay. But yes, it's possible - however unlikely may be in particular case - that entry would be refused. This is where inland applications have a problem - if the applicant is not in Canada and doesn't return (or cannot), the application is basically cancelled. So it's better in most cases to apply inland if the applicant truly will stay in Canada (most of the time anyway - lots travel for short trips with no issues).

Up to you which approach to take. Don't know about the green card issues.

BUGSIE91

Mar 18, 2018
I got the "Decision Made" update today on my sponsorship application! Any idea on the timeline after this? My application timeline is in my signature.

Thanks,
Bharath

Reactions: KATHIA08

sumaiama

Star Member
Nov 23, 2019
I got the "Decision Made" update today on my sponsorship application! Any idea on the timeline after this? My application timeline is in my signature.

Thanks,
Bharath
Hi , sorry i cannot help you in that am still waiting my decision after meds are passed , kust have question when did you apply for your Application ? Am trying to understand that timeliness of people Applications to know what to expect

BUGSIE91

Mar 18, 2018
Hi , sorry i cannot help you in that am still waiting my decision after meds are passed , kust have question when did you apply for your Application ? Am trying to understand that timeliness of people Applications to know what to expect
i think I applied on March 23, 2021. The entire timeline is in my signature. Unfortunately, it’s not showing up in my phone.

Reactions: sumaiama