+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Babu16346

Mar 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am getting incredibly worried here. Spousal Visa Outland. Wife in India.

Basically:

May 2020: Submitted application

March 2021: Medical request

March 2021: They received Medical information.

I had contacted my local MP and they informed me that my file was selected to remain in Canada due to delays at the Visa Application Centre in New Delhi. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Are there any chances that we will get the PPR by October so I can see my wife this year?
Have you received Pre-Arrival Services?

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
In the country requirements for Russia, they ask for details of military service.

Am I correct that if there is no military service, we don't need to submit this form, or do we need to submit a blank form with a signature?

nmdsouza

Nov 17, 2019
Hi , I'm sponsoring my spouse as Inland applicant. She is currently in India. I'm planning to sponsor after he travels to Canada.
Can she apply for PCC when in India and carry with her ? or is it mandatory that we apply for India PCC from India consulate in Canada. Please let me know

ahmadtajwer

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2009
Aurora
I have a family member who applied for spouse outland.....PA got the medical request from LVO on May 16th and Pre-Arrival on May 17th 2021. Does any one know how long would it be once LVO received medicals?

ddzel

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Sent ppr documents and they were received at the Ottawa office in may 10. Have not received any information since. My husband is visa exempt so we are expecting an emailed copr as others have gotten. I’m a bit worried as we have not received copr or anything, is this timeline typical and others were just lucky to receive copr sooner?

Umidjon90

Jun 22, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
Sponsoring my wife to Canada - My wife should show deceased mother or step-mother in the applications? Please advise. Thanks

Habba 1234

May 20, 2021
I applied to sponsor my husband and my children 7 months ago and I didn’t receive acknowledgment while the process time in the website showing 12 months for the whole process... is that normal?? and if someone have the similar situation or applied in Oct 2020 please advise

Last edited:

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
I applied to sponsor my husband and my children 7 months ago and I didn’t receive acknowledgment while the process time in the website showing 12 months for the whole process... is that will right and if someone have the similar situation or applied in Oct 2020 please advise
thats a long time, u should contact ircc, ur mp or/and gcms notes

Reactions: Habba 1234

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
We have some forms showing banking info. I assume it is alright to highlight the details that we are asking them to look at, right?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In the country requirements for Russia, they ask for details of military service.

Am I correct that if there is no military service, we don't need to submit this form, or do we need to submit a blank form with a signature?
I'm fairly sure we did not submit that form.

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
You're overthinking, I think that should be fine.
Yeah, I am overthinking a lot with this. I don't want to mess anything up. We will be sending this off in a couple days.

On form IMM 5532, it asks about my highest level of education completed.

I finished elementary and highschool, and have a highschool diploma. I finished 1 year of college, and left without getting a diploma.
Should I put Highschool or College as the highest level completed (considering I 'completed' 1 year of college).

Also, am I correct that I should put 15 years next to the box I checked (Jr. Kindergarten, Sr. Kindergarten, 8 years elementary, 4 years high school, 1 year college)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I finished elementary and highschool, and have a highschool diploma. I finished 1 year of college, and left without getting a diploma.
Should I put Highschool or College as the highest level completed (considering I 'completed' 1 year of college).

Also, am I correct that I should put 15 years next to the box I checked (Jr. Kindergarten, Sr. Kindergarten, 8 years elementary, 4 years high school, 1 year college)
Yes, it is years completed, doesn't matter you didn't finish the diploma.

I did not count kindergarten as part of elementary but used the official years of elementary / secondary as beginning in grade 1. Not sure it matters much.

Last edited:

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
A hypothetical question: say that the spousal sponsor (Canadian citizen) and spousal PR applicant are currently living in a country other than Canada (hence, an Outland application) and either (1) sponsor dies or (2) couple get divorced. What are the effects on the PR applicant? Let's say that the couple has been married a long time (greater than 20 years) and due to the age and health of the sponsor it's possible he/she might die during the application period.

I have done a little reading on this this morning. Per an authoritative article (https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/divorce/sd.html) if the applicant has received PR status and the couple get divorced then the PR is "okay", not going to be deported, but the "support agreement" signed by the sponsor remains in effect for the remainder of the 3 years. Okay, so this is once PR is approved. Now I wonder about when death or divorce occur while the application is being processed.

An IRCC document (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/who-you-can-sponsor.html) says "If you or your common-law partner choose to end the relationship, we consider the relationship to be over". It's unstated but presumably since there is no relationship there can no longer be sponsorship on this basis: so the PR applicant is not going to be successful on this basis. I imagine that this is the case as well if the spousal sponsor dies. This private article seems to support both views, that (a) if you have obtained PR status you cannot be kicked out of Canada due to divorce and (b) if the PR application is in process you should "you should contact the office processing your application as soon as possible and tell them to stop the process".

A Reddit thread asked what if the sponsor dies while the PR applicant (Inland application). It was pointed out that unless an interview is required it is quite possible, likely even, that the sponsor may never even be contacted subsequently. So in this case (either death or divorce) the applicant might take a practical course to proceed as though nothing has changed, then possibly being accepted as PR. It was also pointed out though that this could be considered fraud and could have grave repercussions on one's status if this ever came to light.

In fact, that Reddit thread refers to this 2014 case "Widow not allowed to stay in Canada after husband dies", showing a young woman with a baby in arms. https://torontosun.com/2014/09/27/widow-not-allowed-to-stay-in-canada-after-husband-dies/wcm/03e4fab7-045b-4cb9-8209-afa5d1e27c67

My searches turned up a page that turned out to be from the USA side of things, spousal sponsorship for US PR. Here it turns out that if the sponsor dies while the application is in process the application can proceed in some cases (it was not always this way but a change in laws in 2009 made this possible. (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-a-chapter-9)

Whilst hypothetical I suppose this question has possible real world possibilities for me.

I will be much obliged for any insights on these issues.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
A hypothetical question: say that the spousal sponsor (Canadian citizen) and spousal PR applicant are currently living in a country other than Canada (hence, an Outland application) and either (1) sponsor dies or (2) couple get divorced. What are the effects on the PR applicant? Let's say that the couple has been married a long time (greater than 20 years) and due to the age and health of the sponsor it's possible he/she might die during the application period.

I have done a little reading on this this morning. Per an authoritative article (https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/divorce/sd.html) if the applicant has received PR status and the couple get divorced then the PR is "okay", not going to be deported, but the "support agreement" signed by the sponsor remains in effect for the remainder of the 3 years. Okay, so this is once PR is approved. Now I wonder about when death or divorce occur while the application is being processed.

An IRCC document (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/who-you-can-sponsor.html) says "If you or your common-law partner choose to end the relationship, we consider the relationship to be over". It's unstated but presumably since there is no relationship there can no longer be sponsorship on this basis: so the PR applicant is not going to be successful on this basis. I imagine that this is the case as well if the spousal sponsor dies. This private article seems to support both views, that (a) if you have obtained PR status you cannot be kicked out of Canada due to divorce and (b) if the PR application is in process you should "you should contact the office processing your application as soon as possible and tell them to stop the process".

A Reddit thread asked what if the sponsor dies while the PR applicant (Inland application). It was pointed out that unless an interview is required it is quite possible, likely even, that the sponsor may never even be contacted subsequently. So in this case (either death or divorce) the applicant might take a practical course to proceed as though nothing has changed, then possibly being accepted as PR. It was also pointed out though that this could be considered fraud and could have grave repercussions on one's status if this ever came to light.

In fact, that Reddit thread refers to this 2014 case "Widow not allowed to stay in Canada after husband dies", showing a young woman with a baby in arms. https://torontosun.com/2014/09/27/widow-not-allowed-to-stay-in-canada-after-husband-dies/wcm/03e4fab7-045b-4cb9-8209-afa5d1e27c67

My searches turned up a page that turned out to be from the USA side of things, spousal sponsorship for US PR. Here it turns out that if the sponsor dies while the application is in process the application can proceed in some cases (it was not always this way but a change in laws in 2009 made this possible. (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-a-chapter-9)

Whilst hypothetical I suppose this question has possible real world possibilities for me.

I will be much obliged for any insights on these issues.
Essentially the application is over, you would have no sponsor so there is no sponsorship. If the sponsor dies and IRCC is not told I guess the app might continue but as you say it would be fraud if found out, PA potentially deported and I am sure there would be a ban of some time to re-apply. Risky proposition to continue it as it would be hanging over your head forever.

We are not the USA so whatever their procedures are, are irrevelent, totally different systems.

Hopefully nobody has to deal with a situation like this.