+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

tamilguy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
Hello,

I'm (Canadian PR holder) planning to sponsor my spouse and kid who are outside canada. Currently they both have visitor visa to enter the country.

Question is

1) Can I sponsor them as Outland applicants now and plan for their travel to canada in visitor visa in next few months?

2) Once they land, do I have to change the sponsor application from Outland to Inland or not required? if so, what is the process to change it?

3) When can they get their health card after the landing? or Do I have to wait for the sponsorship application to go through some stage? (I have a fulltime job in canada)

4) If Health card wont be issued until sponsorship approval, what is the best private health plan for both?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I'm (Canadian PR holder) planning to sponsor my spouse and kid who are outside canada. Currently they both have visitor visa to enter the country.

Question is

1) Can I sponsor them as Outland applicants now and plan for their travel to canada in visitor visa in next few months?

2) Once they land, do I have to change the sponsor application from Outland to Inland or not required? if so, what is the process to change it?

3) When can they get their health card after the landing? or Do I have to wait for the sponsorship application to go through some stage? (I have a fulltime job in canada)

4) If Health card wont be issued until sponsorship approval, what is the best private health plan for both?

Thank you!
1) Yes.
2) No, you can leave the application as outland. If you want to switch to inland, you would need to withdraw the outland application, file a brand new inland application, and start the processing time from scratch.
3) Depends on what province you are in.

tamilguy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
1) Yes.
2) No, you can leave the application as outland. If you want to switch to inland, you would need to withdraw the outland application, file a brand new inland application, and start the processing time from scratch.
3) Depends on what province you are in.
Thank you! I'm in Ontario

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! I'm in Ontario
They won't qualify for OHIP until after they have PR status (i.e. after their applications have been approved). You'll need to take out private insurance.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Almost done the application for my husband to sponsor me (US citizen) as an outland application. For the things that need explanation (that he is looking for jobs in Canada, that we've applied for our daughter's citizenship etc) is a single letter of explanation with clearly defined sections addressing each point good, or do we need a separate explanation letter for each point to be explained?

Also, we just realized that we only have a photocopy of some of the pages of our daughter's citizenship application - will that be a problem that we can't send a copy of the complete application? We do have the payment receipt and the first page, but are missing the page where my husband signed.

Thanks!

slough

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Almost done the application for my husband to sponsor me (US citizen) as an outland application. For the things that need explanation (that he is looking for jobs in Canada, that we've applied for our daughter's citizenship etc) is a single letter of explanation with clearly defined sections addressing each point good, or do we need a separate explanation letter for each point to be explained?

Also, we just realized that we only have a photocopy of some of the pages of our daughter's citizenship application - will that be a problem that we can't send a copy of the complete application? We do have the payment receipt and the first page, but are missing the page where my husband signed.

Thanks!
A single letter is fine. I just looked and the substance of my letter was literally one paragraph, with just a sentence describing the points and what I'd attached as evidence. E.g. "I have been living in the United States since 2007. I attended University here and since graduating have worked in [City] as a [JOB]. My wife and I married in [YEAR]. My wife and I have agreed that we wish to relocate to Canada and we have taken a number of steps to to prepare. For example, I have been searching for jobs in [X city/location], we have applied for our daughter's citizenship certificate and [etc]. Documentary evidence is attached to this letter.

I don't think you need to go overboard here, they are just looking for a real plan about where you'll live, when you want to come, what you'll do, etc.

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen, and been in Canada basically my entire life. And I check off all the box's for the eligilbity to sponsor my spouse to come to Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Last year I legally married in Iraq in 2019. And due to COVID i could not go back and finish all my legal paperwork, so last month (oct 2020) I finally went, finished all iraqi legal paperwork (stamped, certified by internal and external affairs).

And I am about to complete/send in my Spousal Sponsership Application. I am currently filling out all required IMM documents as per https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp for the Country Iraq

My question's are:

1- Let's say I review/finish/submit everything by Nov 20, 2020. Is processing the application for bringing my spouce to Canada going to be delayed past 12 months processing time? I thoought it was 6 months to process approve the application?

2- Once approved, is there a time-limit to when my spouce has to enter canda by? Let's say she gets approved by Nov 2021, will she be given a rule that she has to enter by Canada let's say Feb 2022 or the spousal ownership/PR will expiry? Or no such thing?

3- The application package/guide is pretty detailed and tell you 100% how do do and submit everything, and I am 100% sure I am going to do it right. Will appointing a Lawyer/Immigration Firm speed up the application? Whats the benifiy of having a Paralegal or Lawyer do the application for you? From everyone I spoke to here in Ottawa, they charge from $1000 - $3000 (excluding application fee) which is outragous.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1- Let's say I review/finish/submit everything by Nov 20, 2020. Is processing the application for bringing my spouce to Canada going to be delayed past 12 months processing time? I thoought it was 6 months to process approve the application?
Prior to covid, 12 months was 'expected' - and probably was true for about 80% of appilcants. Now, no-one knows. Some went considerably over before covid, too.

2- Once approved, is there a time-limit to when my spouce has to enter canda by? Let's say she gets approved by Nov 2021, will she be given a rule that she has to enter by Canada let's say Feb 2022 or the spousal ownership/PR will expiry? Or no such thing?
Usually a date is 12 months after medical clearance, but timing of that and everything else varies quite a lot.

3- The application package/guide is pretty detailed and tell you 100% how do do and submit everything, and I am 100% sure I am going to do it right. Will appointing a Lawyer/Immigration Firm speed up the application? Whats the benifiy of having a Paralegal or Lawyer do the application for you? From everyone I spoke to here in Ottawa, they charge from $1000 - $3000 (excluding application fee) which is outragous.
You don't need a lawyer or representative if you are careful and thorough, and particularly if the case straightforward.

Reactions: haddad287

haddad287

Nov 11, 2020
Prior to covid, 12 months was 'expected' - and probably was true for about 80% of appilcants. Now, no-one knows. Some went considerably over before covid, too.

Usually a date is 12 months after medical clearance, but timing of that and everything else varies quite a lot.

You don't need a lawyer or representative if you are careful and thorough, and particularly if the case straightforward.
Ok thanks!

akashlal

Jul 13, 2010
My wife’s Permanent Resident Spousal application (PA: Bangladesh) was received by IRCC on August 9, 2019 (over 15 months ago). The interview decision was made in late January 2020 (over 9 months now) per GCMS notes by Singapore IRCC but there is no update to this application since then. Based on our GCMS notes, even though the initial review officer in Singapore IRCC suggested interview waiver and “Recommended Pass” under Eligibility criteria after paper screening, the final review officer changed Eligibility from “Recommended Pass” to “Recommended Interview” later.

I am visiting my wife in Bangladesh now. We just found out that she is pregnant. Should we inform IRCC about her pregnancy with supporting document such as Ultrasound test report using Case Specific Enquiry – Singapore IRCC Webform? Is this new information going to have a positive impact on her application outcome (the genuineness of our relationship)? Is it going to be helpful to request Singapore IRCC to speed up her interview process so she can be in Canada before the child birth (due date July 8, 2021) as we want our child to born in Canada?

Our intention is to use this new information to speed up the application process as we are waiting for more than 15 months now.

I would really appreciate your suggestion.

Reactions: Sonali1990

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Submit a web form ASAP explaining you were reviewing your app and realized your mistake, attach a corrected form with it. We can all make mistakes, hopefully it won't be a problem
As long as you are open and honest about the form i have been seeingthem take the corrected forms because some fiel have not even been reviewed yet

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife’s Permanent Resident Spousal application (PA: Bangladesh) was received by IRCC on August 9, 2019 (over 15 months ago). The interview decision was made in late January 2020 (over 9 months now) per GCMS notes by Singapore IRCC but there is no update to this application since then. Based on our GCMS notes, even though the initial review officer in Singapore IRCC suggested interview waiver and “Recommended Pass” under Eligibility criteria after paper screening, the final review officer changed Eligibility from “Recommended Pass” to “Recommended Interview” later.

I am visiting my wife in Bangladesh now. We just found out that she is pregnant. Should we inform IRCC about her pregnancy with supporting document such as Ultrasound test report using Case Specific Enquiry – Singapore IRCC Webform? Is this new information going to have a positive impact on her application outcome (the genuineness of our relationship)? Is it going to be helpful to request Singapore IRCC to speed up her interview process so she can be in Canada before the child birth (due date July 8, 2021) as we want our child to born in Canada?

Our intention is to use this new information to speed up the application process as we are waiting for more than 15 months now.

I would really appreciate your suggestion.
You can provide that information but on its own, not clear that it will speed things up. Have you tried other steps like contacting your MP?

The issue right now would seem to be the recommended interview and the very slow movement on actually holding interviews (announced 'by video' or distance but doesn't seem they have worked out the details enough to actually roll it out).

Siddiqua

Star Member
Jan 4, 2020
If anyone is there from Bangladesh

Good news! The Visa Application Center (VAC) in Dhaka will reopen to the public with reduced hours on November 16, 2020.
The VAC will provide the following services:
• Biometrics collection for Biometric Instruction Letter holders
• Return of decision envelopes to clients
• Passport submission and transmission

The VAC’s hours will be from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, with biometric enrolments taking place from 9am to 2:30pm, and in-person passport submission services from 3pm to 5pm.
Check the VAC website https://visa.vfsglobal.com/bgd/en/can/ for more information including when appointments will be opened for scheduling.

The VACs in Chittagong and Sylhet remain closed.

Currently the VAC in Dhaka is providing passport return services via courier only (Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday from 9:00 to 14:00). A VAC representative will contact applicants whose passports are ready to be returned and will provide further details regarding how passports will be returned to applicants via the courier service provided by the VAC.

Reactions: Sonali1990

faman

Sep 29, 2020
INLAND APPLICATION: (British National - US Work Visa - Canadian Visitor Visa & Canadian Spouse)

Hi guys! Thanks in advance for reading this and offering any advice! I have a few questions about the spousal PR application.

I'm a British national who's been living in California on a work visa since 2016. In Aug of this year, I got married to a Canadian national (filed for a marriage certificate in California). In September, we both decided to come to Canada so my husband could see family, and I was granted a visitor visa, since I'm his spouse. We've just started our inland PR application with Open Work Permit.

• Do we need to file for a marriage certificate in Canada as well, or is the California one valid for the PR application?

• The marriage certificate shows that I took my husband's last name, though I haven't changed my last name on my passport yet. Do I need to apply under my maiden name or my husband's last name?

• Do I need to update my British passport to reflect the new last name before applying for the PR?

• Do I need to show that my residency is the one in California (where I was living up until September), or where I am currently living in Canada?

• Since I was living in California since 2016, do I also need to request a police certificate from the USA, or just the UK? (I'm a British national)

• Does my family have to fill out a medical form as well, even if they are not being sponsored?

• Does my family need to submit police certificates, even if they are not being sponsored?

• Do I need to fill out second cousins and second aunts etc on form IMM5532e, which asks for details of family members currently residing in Canada? I have a large extended family here, so can provide details of first cousins/ aunts and uncles, but any other extended family might be a stretch!

• At what point in the process am I eligible to be on British Columbia MSP?

Thank you very much for taking the time out to reply.

Last edited: