28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
His Passport validity is 29th Oct 2020
Had you already started the process to renew his passport before he left Canada?

I can understand why CBSA would have been concerned given his passport expires in just a few days. It was honestly pretty risk for him to leave Canada in this situation and expect a smooth re-entery.

Reactions: armoured

Tbrown

Apr 27, 2017
Had you already started the process to renew his passport before he left Canada?

I can understand why CBSA would have been concerned given his passport expires in just a few days. It was honestly pretty risk for him to leave Canada in this situation and expect a smooth re-entery.
Before he left Canada, no. We were hoping to do it soon as he got in.

fthfth

Jan 15, 2020
Hello dear friends,

I need your opinion. We have completed all the necessary documents in order to apply for outland family class sponsorship. The next step is to send the documents internationally. My options are UPS and DHL. However, this will be my first time sending an international document. According to your experiences which one should I go with?

PS: We've tried with DHL and couldnt fill the some fields such as recever's phone number, name and company name. This is hopefully the last step. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello dear friends,

I need your opinion. We have completed all the necessary documents in order to apply for outland family class sponsorship. The next step is to send the documents internationally. My options are UPS and DHL. However, this will be my first time sending an international document. According to your experiences which one should I go with?

PS: We've tried with DHL and couldnt fill the some fields such as recever's phone number, name and company name. This is hopefully the last step. I am looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.
My experience with DHL wasn't very good, they use a 3rd party to deliver it to Sydney, had a hard time getting confirmation it was delivered, can't tell you about UPS's service. Use the phone number for IRCC Sydney, name and company name are the same, Case Processing Center. There is really no company name, it is a government department, they should be able to figure it out. Same thing as if you sent it to the Embassy of Canada or any other government agency. Sounds like they didn't want to be helpful.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I am a PR and submitted an inland application for spousal PR for my husband on Sept 1, 2020. My husband had to travel out of Canada for business and was returning back into Canada on 12th October 2020 when he was grilled by the border officers. He was very honest and open about the fact that he had an on-going application in Canada. Long story short, the officer seized his passport and asked him to go renew his passport before she can stamp him in as his passport expires end of October 2020.

The officer also told him that if he is unable to renew his passport, he will have to leave Canada.

Has anyone been in this situation before and please share your thoughts.

Thanks !
Not surprising that they grilled him and without the PR app in progress I don't think they would have let him in. Renew his passport, take it to the POE, get it stamped and they will return his old passport. Shouldn't be a problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Before he left Canada, no. We were hoping to do it soon as he got in.
To be honest, I think that was a really bad call on your part. I mean you must see it from CBSA's perspective now. Entering with a passport that's about to expire is really problematic.

Anyway, what's done is done.

Get the passport renewal submitted as soon as you possibly can and request urgent processing if your embassy will consider it.

Reactions: DiiDii

WallyHan

Sep 4, 2020
Hey everyone!!!

My husband and I completed all of the forms and requirements for the family class application and sent it off. I am a Canadian citizen but we are both living together in Beijing, China. We are a married same sex couple and I am excited to introduce him to Canada. We used Fed Ex to send the application and could track it the whole way. Sent it on October 20, 2020 and it was delivered on October 23, 2020.

Based on everything I am reading the waiting begins now, ha ha.

I don’t have a question or a comment for anyone else just wanted to tell someone that we did it and it has arrived. Maybe too excited for a long process to begin? Ha ha, anyway, after a lot of stress trying to get everything done and doing multiple checks and re-checks we sent it off.

I just want to thank everyone on this forum for all of the great information provided and the personal stories shared. I hope I can be of help to someone else as we move through the process.

So many people here pay it forward everyday and I hope I can do the same for some one else in the future.

Thanks everyone!!! I look forward to sharing any updates.

felicialiu

Oct 20, 2019
Hello dear friends,

Thanks in advance.
I sent my package using DHL to my spouse as he had to sign few documents and cross check everything. So I didn't have any problem. He then used Canada Post to sent it ircc.

Reactions: Polished Pillar

mahidhar

Mar 23, 2016
Hi I am PR who recently visited India and got married , and cannot return to canada due to covid 19, can I still apply for sousal PR and declare that I am resident of canada ? I heard from other forms that we can declare country of residence as canada due to covid 19 situation

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Hi I am PR who recently visited India and got married , and cannot return to canada due to covid 19, can I still apply for sousal PR and declare that I am resident of canada ? I heard from other forms that we can declare country of residence as canada due to covid 19 situation
Normally, a PR must be residing in Canada to be eligible to sponsor. There are temporary new guidelines or leeway due to COVID-19, it's true. In your case, if you are stranded abroad, my understanding is that your habitual residence may still be in Canada, as the only reason you are not there physically is because of travel restrictions. Can you share where you have seen this update?

mahidhar

Mar 23, 2016
Normally, a PR must be residing in Canada to be eligible to sponsor. There are temporary new guidelines or leeway due to COVID-19, it's true. In your case, if you are stranded abroad, my understanding is that your habitual residence may still be in Canada, as the only reason you are not there physically is because of travel restrictions. Can you share where you have seen this update?
I have seen it on IRCC tweet, but cannot find it now

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I have seen it on IRCC tweet, but cannot find it now
As long are not outside of Canada with the intention to reside abroad and you are just waiting for the borders to open to come back to Canada, you can write your residential address in Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR there was nothing from a Canada viewpoint that would have stopped you returning to Canada at any time and even now nothing subject only to 14 days quarantine on arrival. Canada cannot obviously be responsible for any other countries travel restrictions.

As far as aware have not seen anything that removed the requirement for a PR to be in Canada to be able to apply for spousal sponsorship, if there were it would be clearly stated in the family/spousal sponsorship section

Whether you want to bend the rules would be upto you given you appear to be visiting India not residing, guess depends how long the visit turns out to be

Last edited:
Reactions: rrss13 and armoured

mahidhar

Mar 23, 2016
As long are not outside of Canada with the intention to reside abroad and you are just waiting for the borders to open to come back to Canada, you can write your residential address in Canada.
thank you, I am just looking for that tweet from IRCC, I swear I saw it but cannot find it now . does any anyone else knew about it

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
As a PR there was nothing from a Canada viewpoint that would have stopped you returning to Canada at any time and even now nothing subject only to 14 days quarantine on arrival. Canada cannot obviously be responsible for any other countries travel restrictions.

As far as aware have not seen anything that removed the requirement for a PR to be in Canada to be able to apply for spousal sponsorship, if there were it would be clearly stated in the family/spousal sponsorship section
It is clearly stated in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Only a Canadian citizen is allowed to be a sponsor if residing outside of Canada (IRPR subsection 130(2)).