+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Hi Friends, I submitted my spousal sponsorship (outland) application today morning. I am a PR since 2018. I have a question regarding it. I was in India for our marriage and went there on March 14 2020. However, due to covid19, we postponed our marriage to August 31 2020 and I retuned back to Canada after marriage on October 4th 2020. Will this long stay in India affect my spousal sponsorship sponsor approval stage? As per sponsor eligibility requirements, sponsor has to reside in Canada. However, due to covid19 and marriage, I lived in India for more than 6 months. But I will be residing here again. Will my stay in India create issues in sponsor approval? I am so stressed right now. Any help is appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Friends, I submitted my spousal sponsorship (outland) application today morning. I am a PR since 2018. I have a question regarding it. I was in India for our marriage and went there on March 14 2020. However, due to covid19, we postponed our marriage to August 31 2020 and I retuned back to Canada after marriage on October 4th 2020. Will this long stay in India affect my spousal sponsorship sponsor approval stage? As per sponsor eligibility requirements, sponsor has to reside in Canada. However, due to covid19 and marriage, I lived in India for more than 6 months. But I will be residing here again. Will my stay in India create issues in sponsor approval? I am so stressed right now. Any help is appreciated.
You should be fine if you remain in Canada (short visits back should be fine).

Reactions: Abhinandhan7

p86shah

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
  1. We received *****£********* application for permanent residence on November 8, 2019.
  2. We started processing Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx application on October 23, 2020.
  3. We sent xxxxxxxxx a letter on December 10, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  4. We sent ***********. medical instructions on December 13, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us with the information requested as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  5. Medical results have been received.

Abhinandhan7

Star Member
May 14, 2018
You should be fine if you remain in Canada (short visits back should be fine).
Thank you! Do we need to fill form IMM5475? We have not used any representative. I had mentioned 'Not applicable' in the checklist and did not submit IMM5475 along with our application.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you! Do we need to fill form IMM5475? We have not used any representative. I had mentioned 'Not applicable' in the checklist and did not submit IMM5475 along with our application.
If you indicated N/A on the checklist then you don't fill out the form. Many people will have the sponsor designated as a rep so they can communicate with IRCC while being it Canada. It's up to you though. If you wish to add a representative you can do it later by filling out the form and submit it with a web form once you get your AOR.

Reactions: Abhinandhan7

cj7

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
TORONTO
hello everyone, I am planning to apply for my spouse visitor visa. have already applied for spouse pr visa.
1. I want to ask for visitor visa, my cic account says that i cannot apply on behalf of her. does she needs to make the account online and apply?
2. is it feasible to apply for visitor visa?
3. while applying do i have to let cic know that i have already applied for spouse pr and applying for visitor now?
4. If i used a representative to apply for sponsor visa, do i have to use the same rep or any rep again or can she apply directly?
5. what will be the best and strong to include in the invitation letter
any recommendations/help will be appreciated. thank you all.

Reactions: SuMo16

Tbrown

Apr 27, 2017
I am a PR and submitted an inland application for spousal PR for my husband on Sept 1, 2020. My husband had to travel out of Canada for business and was returning back into Canada on 12th October 2020 when he was grilled by the border officers. He was very honest and open about the fact that he had an on-going application in Canada. Long story short, the officer seized his passport and asked him to go renew his passport before she can stamp him in as his passport expires end of October 2020.

The officer also told him that if he is unable to renew his passport, he will have to leave Canada.

Has anyone been in this situation before and please share your thoughts.

Thanks !

SuMo16

Sep 29, 2020
hello everyone, I am planning to apply for my spouse visitor visa. have already applied for spouse pr visa.
1. I want to ask for visitor visa, my cic account says that i cannot apply on behalf of her. does she needs to make the account online and apply?
2. is it feasible to apply for visitor visa?
3. while applying do i have to let cic know that i have already applied for spouse pr and applying for visitor now?
4. If i used a representative to apply for sponsor visa, do i have to use the same rep or any rep again or can she apply directly?
5. what will be the best and strong to include in the invitation letter
any recommendations/help will be appreciated. thank you all.
+2 more questions.

1.In the process of collating documents for sponsorship application (NOA) is due. Is it advisable to try applying for a visitor visa after putting in spousal application or is it ok to do we before sending in the actual application.

2. To show stronger ties in my home country I will be providing offer letter, pay-slips etc. Will that suffice or an employment letter is also required ?

muscletech

May 26, 2020
App. Filed.......
24-02-2020
AOR Received.
10-03-2020
+2 more questions.

1.In the process of collating documents for sponsorship application (NOA) is due. Is it advisable to try applying for a visitor visa after putting in spousal application or is it ok to do we before sending in the actual application.

2. To show stronger ties in my home country I will be providing offer letter, pay-slips etc. Will that suffice or an employment letter is also required ?
1. You will anyways be declaring yourself married in the visitor visa application, it doesn’t really matter because hardly any spousal visitor visas are getting approved. Many have applied more than 3-4 times and got rejected.
2. I would suggest to add an ‘approved N number of days as vacation’ as an official letter/email from your employer to show that you will return back to your job. It does not guarantee the visa approval.

Mira2018

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Is there anyone here from Tunisia?
I want to know how long the visa is suspended in the passport.
In other words, how much time is the passport delivered to an embassy to obtain it?
Permanent residence visa

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I am a PR and submitted an inland application for spousal PR for my husband on Sept 1, 2020. My husband had to travel out of Canada for business and was returning back into Canada on 12th October 2020 when he was grilled by the border officers. He was very honest and open about the fact that he had an on-going application in Canada. Long story short, the officer seized his passport and asked him to go renew his passport before she can stamp him in as his passport expires end of October 2020.

The officer also told him that if he is unable to renew his passport, he will have to leave Canada.

Thanks !
How can the officer seize his passport? It is the property of the state that issued it. Also, a foreign national is never admitted beyond the validity of their passport, so assuming he is not American, until when was his TRV/eTA?

Aniavi

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020

Thanks !
Question to officer would be, how would your husband renew his passport if the officer seized his passport. To renew a passport, one needs to provide original passport.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question to officer would be, how would your husband renew his passport if the officer seized his passport. To renew a passport, one needs to provide original passport.
While that may be generally true, it can actually depend by country, and also many/most countries will have procedures for replacement of a lost passport (not saying one should misrepresent and say lost when it was kept at border but clearly there is a procedure to replace without original in most cases).

At any rate, it's something to deal with at own embassy/consulate, according to whatever procedures they may have, and will need to be done regardless.

Tbrown

Apr 27, 2017
How can the officer seize his passport? It is the property of the state that issued it. Also, a foreign national is never admitted beyond the validity of their passport, so assuming he is not American, until when was his TRV/eTA?
His Passport validity is 29th Oct 2020