+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I am PR In Canada and my husband is on work permit. I want to apply for his PR. Is it mandatory to have my name on his passport? Or it’s ok without my name?
Sorry, I just realised you may have meant something else and not the change of name, like if you are from a country where marital status is written in the passport.

If that's what you meant, the answer may be a bit more complicated. Most likely Canada will not require that and instead just want the marriage certificate or equivalent. But you would really have to check the country-specific requirements.

If you just mean that the passport has a line to write your spouse but it is optional, I think that Canada would not require that as long as all of the other documentation is in order. (I.e. you probably would not have to swap out your passport)

Harmanharbhajan

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Ok thanks.. someone told me that changes had been made a month ago.. that your passport must be updated with your spouse name to apply Canadian PR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ok thanks.. someone told me that changes had been made a month ago.. that your passport must be updated with your spouse name to apply Canadian PR
Not aware of any such change. If there were such a requirement would only be from country of origin.

(That said with covid requirements that only immediate family members can enter Canada, having spouse named in passport may be helpful at airports, but even then not required)

Reactions: Teepayne

Balpreet123

Jun 3, 2020
Hey all. I have applied for the spousal PR in the month of April but still, there is no response. Can we apply for a visitor visa for my spouse? If it gets rejected will it affect the whole immigration process?

bian07

May 19, 2017
Hey all. I have applied for the spousal PR in the month of April but still, there is no response. Can we apply for a visitor visa for my spouse? If it gets rejected will it affect the whole immigration process?
You can definitely try to apply, and no it won't affect the pr application!

Jannat1

Jul 27, 2018
I am about applying for OESP (Ontario Electricity support program) credit, will it affect my eligibility to sponsor my spouse? please tell me your first hand experience if you where receiving this utility credit & got approved to sponsor your spouse or not before i make a wrong move

Thank you

guruji010101

Sep 10, 2020
can you share the
Can you share the whole process of applying for spouse visa from canada? I live in Canada and apply for my wife who lives in India?I am PR here.

jonesy

Aug 24, 2020
Hi everyone!
Trust things are well.

I have a question:
We have just submitted our PR application for family - common-law partner sponsorship.
We both live outside of Canada. For background, I am a Canadian citizen.
How long would the process take to complete?
So I imagine we will eventually get notification to go and perform the bio-metrics and medical examination.
We will try and act on that as soon as possible once received.

Are there any ballpark figures anyone has experienced?

Based on Canadim.com it will take 12 months. That is quite a lengthy process.
When we consulted with Canada Abroad, they said it might take about 4-6 months...

Please let me know what the experience has been like for you.
Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Based on Canadim.com it will take 12 months. That is quite a lengthy process.
When we consulted with Canada Abroad, they said it might take about 4-6 months...
Prior to covid, about 80% of applications were done in less than 12 months (some considerably less like four months or so). Too soon to say what to expect going forward, but definitely expect longer; there is a backlog of applications submitted since covid started and there is no information on how/how quickly they will clear this backlog.

Whether your app is on the longer/shorter end, multiple factors - how simple the application is (how long married/documentation), type of relationship documentation/previous relationships, and what country/background (security clearance can be very quick if from e.g. NATO countries / Anglosphere or others). As a rough rule of thumb, files from countries where the spouse does not need a visa tend to be quicker - but this is by no means guaranteed, only a tendency.

If your spouse has or does not need a visa, there are options to move to Canada sooner in the process (come to Canada first and apply 'inland', or apply, come to Canada and remain on visas/visa waiver extending as necessary.

But overall it would be best to count on the process taking 12 months or more in current circumstances.

jonesy

Aug 24, 2020
Prior to covid, about 80% of applications were done in less than 12 months (some considerably less like four months or so). Too soon to say what to expect going forward, but definitely expect longer; there is a backlog of applications submitted since covid started and there is no information on how/how quickly they will clear this backlog.
Thank you for the thoughtful and well fleshed out response, armoured.

Reactions: armoured
Sep 11, 2020
I’m a Canadian citizen born in the US, so dual and hold both passports; I’m in the process of purchasing a little house with my US citizen wife. Her and my daughter’s PR paperwork only just arrived per mail tracking, so I believe they’re most likely more than a year away from becoming PRs, right?
In the meantime I want to bring them to the new place in B.C., presumably they can cross with me as visitors? But I also need to have a goods-to-follow list with me for my furniture and what-not the movers are handling. We have to drive across several states because we can’t fly with the pets during winter, so I’m also trying to import my car as I cross.
Anyhow with all that clearly pointing toward at a minimum me moving permanently, am I jeapordizing their admissibility over the car and stuff? I mean they certainly won’t overstay their visas, if we can’t extend to the end of the PR process we certainly could head back to the US. Or am I overthinking the border crossing?