+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

punq

Aug 11, 2020
Someone have waiting over a term that's they say 1 year ? And how long after 1 year past for this day ?
my passed 12month on 29JUL2020 (outland)
moved to LVO on 28FEB20 + we send a request to IRCC about my case.
respond: they never touch our case after february)

Jxbber

Mar 24, 2020
Hello,

On the IMM 5533 checklist, there's a section for the sponsors supporting documents. It asks to show proof of employment/source of income and my wife is currently living/working in Canada. What documents other than the original letter from your employer would I be able to use?

Also, does anybody have an update on how long applications are taking to process?

Thank you.

Helena2

Mar 23, 2020
Just a question to those wanting to share their experience with IRCC.
People that married for more than 2 years and send their sponsorship app - do IRCC or VO process these apps quicker and no interview required? Compare to those just got married and send their apps right away.

The reason I ask this question is I saw on other Facebook forums some people got their PR within 8 months for outland app. Nov app and already landed in Canada a few couple weeks ago. Why these people got their app processed so quickly.

Reactions: SKRPrince09

SHPAH

Star Member
Oct 16, 2019
Guys i submitted my app and it was received on March 2nd however I just noticed on form IMM 5523
My job from 2016 I put 2014 by accident. Is this a critical mistake that can refuse my application?

Dabkin

Jul 22, 2020
Hello everyone,
My application is moved to Family Reunification. I am unsure what that means. How long will it take now ? Because the file has already completed a one year mark!

Dabkin

Jul 22, 2020
I cant believe it !!!!!!!!!! FINALLY GOT COPR this morning !!!!!!!!!!! march 08 2018 applicant ! 29 months of waiting !!!!! FINNALY!!!!!!!
good luck to everyone !!!
Wow CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you. And I welcome you to Canada.

If you could answer my question. Did your file go to IRCC Family reunification , if yes how long did it take there?

Reactions: Eveslm and Minian

Minian

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Wow CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you. And I welcome you to Canada.

If you could answer my question. Did your file go to IRCC Family reunification , if yes how long did it take there?
Thanks,
My file as been proceed by CPC Missisauga from start to the end. I dont really know what you mean by Ircc Family reunification ?

SKRPrince09

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
People that married for more than 2 years and send their sponsorship app - do IRCC or VO process these apps quicker and no interview required? Compare to those just got married and send their apps right away.

The reason I ask this question is I saw on other Facebook forums some people got their PR within 8 months for outland app. Nov app and already landed in Canada a few couple weeks ago. Why these people got their app processed so quickly.
I'm married for more than 2 years now. Applied in december. Havent got PR yet. So I dont think the duration of marriage matters

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

Being married longer can be a bonus, most of the time it is an indication of a genuine marriage, not always though if the couple hasn't been living together,
but that doesn't mean they are processed quicker. Interviews are usually requested if IRC.C thinks the marriage isn't genuine or other things that they want to ask face to face. If a couple had been in a relationship for an extended period of time and then got married and submitted their app it probably wouldn't slow their app. If they recently met, got married and applied then IRCC will scrutinize it more to make sure it isn't a marriage of converience/fraud.

Reactions: SKRPrince09

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019

No, as a general rule it does not. My husband and I were married 3 months and our application was processed in three months. (No interview) The amount of time you’ve known each other and spent together can be a factor in whether they view the marriage as genuine and may possibly help things move along. (There’s a difference) My husband and I had been together for almost eight years, so even though we had to add extra proof thanks to short marriage and no children, we had plenty of evidence to provide to strengthen our case. (Including living at the same address for two years, which wasn’t even a requirement because we were married and not common law)

The longest part of processing is usually security, criminality, and background checks. This tends to be quicker if the PA is from the USA or a Commonwealth English speaking country such as the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. These countries (amoung others) have close ties to Canada and it makes it quite easy for them to obtain reliable information. (My husband is from New Zealand. It took them about two weeks to do this)

The Visa office looking after your application is also a factor. Ours was processed in Mississauga, but my husband had to send his PPR to Auckland, New Zealand who sent it to Sydney, Australia for processing. The day it arrived in Sydney somebody signed for it, processed the COPR, and sent it back to Auckland all on the same day. From PPR sent to COPR arriving at my husband’s home in NZ was three days.

I don’t know for certain but I wouldn’t be surprised if time from the PA spent in Canada can also be a factor here. I’m sure many Outland applicants have either never been to Canada or have come only as visitors. My husband was in Canada on an IEC visa therefore he already had many things Canadian citizens and PRs have. (Canadian bank account, SIN number, NOA from filing Canadian taxes) so in other words the Canadian government already had a ton of info on him before even having to look outside their own borders. (Helps with all those background checks)

There are tons of factors for a speedy application, and for us this was also pre COVID. ( Last half of
2019) I’ve only mentioned just a few from my own experience. Hope this helps give some insight!

Last edited:

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hey all,

so my boyfriend finally got accepted for visitor record after a month of applying, and the expiry date says January 11th which is exactly a full year since he first arrived from California. I am wondering, do we apply for common law the day of or the day before expiry? Or do we apply for another visitor record?
You will qualify for common law after living together for 12 consecutive months... with no break. If your boyfriend received an extension of stay then I assume he has been here for some months? And if you have been living together during this time with no breaks then you would qualify before his extension expires and can therefore apply then. Whatever the case it’s best to apply when he still has legal status especially if you intend to apply for an open work permit together with the PR

Reactions: lucky1990

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
My wife and I live at the same address - do I have to be her representative if we list the same mailing address? I was originally going to do this to be safe, but it looks like if you list an unpaid representative then you can't link your application online.