+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I'm a Canadian citizen and my US spouse and I want her to come here to Canada to live with me and start an inland application. Our current plan is for her just to drive up and come through the land border. She's going to bring an official marriage certificate and a scan copy of my passport to prove she's the spouse of me, a citizen. I know that family members are exempt from the travel ban, but is there any possibility she'll get trouble coming in because the visit isn't "necessary"? We're worried about the risk of her driving all the way there for nothing if she gets denied at the border.
I think her chances of getting across the border are very slim. She can't move to Canada permanently to be with you. In normal circumstances she could come as a visitor and you could then apply while she is here but not now. I think they would say her reason is non-essential and deny entry.

SKS999

May 21, 2020
*Confusion regarding...... IMM5669 - Which version to use ?....(11-2018 or 06-2019)....*

Hey guys. I have read a lot about this but it has just confused me and my spouse more and more. So my wife resides OUTSIDE Canada. We are all set to apply but this one confusion is holding us back. The package gives 11-2018 version whereas on thesame website you have the 06-2019 version aswell.

Can someone just give me a straight answer to this? Especially the members who almost got through the process - can you let us know which version you guys used?

BIG THANKS!

:)

Nazeem1987

May 19, 2020
Hello

I have a situation here, while applying my Study permit i declared as" single" though i was legally married and with kids , now i want to apply PR with my wife and kids too. so not declaring my marriage in TRV application is considered misrepresentation or not .

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
Hello

I have a situation here, while applying my Study permit i declared as" single" though i was legally married and with kids , now i want to apply PR with my wife and kids too. so not declaring my marriage in TRV application is considered misrepresentation or not .
It is misinterpretion

bian07

May 19, 2017
*Confusion regarding...... IMM5669 - Which version to use ?....(11-2018 or 06-2019)....*

Hey guys. I have read a lot about this but it has just confused me and my spouse more and more. So my wife resides OUTSIDE Canada. We are all set to apply but this one confusion is holding us back. The package gives 11-2018 version whereas on thesame website you have the 06-2019 version aswell.

Can someone just give me a straight answer to this? Especially the members who almost got through the process - can you let us know which version you guys used?

BIG THANKS!

:)
This form needs to be validated, so I used the older form, I dont think the new version can be validated.

unknowntoknown

Star Member
Jul 29, 2019
So, I have a COPR visa which was issued before 18th march and my husband is currently in Canada and is a PR holder. According to the links of CIC, I am allowed to enter Canada, will CBSA cause any problems?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
So, I have a COPR visa which was issued before 18th march and my husband is currently in Canada and is a PR holder. According to the links of CIC, I am allowed to enter Canada, will CBSA cause any problems?
According to the guidelines issued by IRCC you SHOULD be able to enter Canada but CBSA at the POE will be the final authority.

Lorlan88

Jan 18, 2019
My spouse and I have applied for an Outland sponsorship. Can my spouse apply for a visitors visa and come visit me for a couple of months in Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My spouse and I have applied for an Outland sponsorship. Can my spouse apply for a visitors visa and come visit me for a couple of months in Canada?
Nothing to stop a spouse applying but whether approved or not can often be a challenge with a sponsorship in process. Also note that always a possibility currently that a visit would be considered non essential travel and not be a travel exemption.

Reactions: Belarusian

Elnara

May 19, 2020
Hello everyone, thanks for this helpful topic, I found a lot of useful things regarding my case. I recently got a PR and I was living in Canada 4 years. In November 2019 I went to my homeland and got married. I was planned stay with my husband 2-3 months and then return to Canada and start my spousal sponsorship. Due to COVID-19 I was stucked in my country and couldn't leave and do not know exactly when I can return to Canada. So I can not start our sponsorship, because I have physically be in Canada. It seems we are wasting our time. My question is: maybe due to this situation is there any ways where I can start our sponsorship process while being outside of Canada? Maybe someone has any information about that?

Thank you in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, thanks for this helpful topic, I found a lot of useful things regarding my case. I recently got a PR and I was living in Canada 4 years. In November 2019 I went to my homeland and got married. I was planned stay with my husband 2-3 months and then return to Canada and start my spousal sponsorship. Due to COVID-19 I was stucked in my country and couldn't leave and do not know exactly when I can return to Canada. So I can not start our sponsorship, because I have physically be in Canada. It seems we are wasting our time. My question is: maybe due to this situation is there any ways where I can start our sponsorship process while being outside of Canada? Maybe someone has any information about that?

Thank you in advance!
No exceptions to the residency rules have been announced, so no, you can't sponsor while outside of Canada.

Reactions: unknowntoknown

shz86

Apr 4, 2020
No exceptions to the residency rules have been announced, so no, you can't sponsor while outside of Canada.
Hello.I also wanted to add a question to what which has been asked. What if sb apply for spouse in Canada and during the processing time leaves Canada for example 2 month?Does it influence the processing ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello.I also wanted to add a question to what which has been asked. What if sb apply for spouse in Canada and during the processing time leaves Canada for example 2 month?Does it influence the processing ?
Yes, it can. The PR is required to live in Canada throughout the entire process. A few weeks is OK but a 2 month trip risks IRCC deciding you no longer live in Canada and refusing the app.

Reactions: shz86

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Yeah but I doubt IRCC will keep checking with CBSA on a regular basis every PR sponsor cross border activity, especially now with covid.
They do 1 check when doing SA check, but after that no more. It's just not in the budget.
Once you got SA, you're good2go
Don't count on being good to go, if you want to take the chance of losing the app then go for it. All of the provincial health care systems know if you are out of the country so IRCC knowing is a given. Probably brings up a flag on you in their system. They all share the info between agencies.

Reactions: DirtyMelodies