+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Tennie

Nov 29, 2019
I have a question. I am alone at canada but have a spouse living outside canada, with my PR can i sponsor my orphaned adult sister living outside canada and also my spouse living outside canada at the same time or at different time?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have a question. I am alone at canada but have a spouse living outside canada, with my PR can i sponsor my orphaned adult sister living outside canada and also my spouse living outside canada at the same time or at different time?
You can sponsor your spouse but you can't sponsor your sister

Ahami

Star Member
Sep 23, 2019
Colombo
Category........
My husband is canada pr holder wanted to know that applying inland spouse sponsorship how long does it take time to receive the work permit and PR. Im thinking to apply for visit visa and go there and apply for inland sponsorship.
Please suggest me. Inland sponsorship good to apply or outland sponsorship healthy to apply due to time frame

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband is canada pr holder wanted to know that applying inland spouse sponsorship how long does it take time to receive the work permit and PR. Im thinking to apply for visit visa and go there and apply for inland sponsorship.
Please suggest me. Inland sponsorship good to apply or outland sponsorship healthy to apply due to time frame
3-4 months for OWP, a year for PR.

You can apply for a TRV but have little chance of approval with a PR spouse.

Reactions: Belarusian

jamesroy23

Dec 15, 2013
Urgent Help Needed

Received this from Manila Visa Office

This is with respect to your application for a permanent residence in Canada.
Your application and all of the documents you submitted in support of it have been reviewed and it appears
that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.
Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be
selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law
partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Paragraph 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations establishes the circumstances
under which a person may be excluded from the Family Class, notwithstanding their personal relationship
to their sponsor. Specifically, the Regulations state:
117(9)(d) A foreign national shall not be considered a member of the family class by virtue
of their relationship to a sponsor if, subject to subsection (10), the sponsor previously made an
application for permanent residence and became a permanent resident and, at the time of that
application, the foreign national was a non-accompanying family member of the sponsor and was
not examined.
Based on the information you have presented to this office, it would appear you fall within the exclusion
established by this provision. Specifically, you were not examined when your sponsor applied for and
subsequently obtained permanent residence in Canada.

You stated in your affidavit of March 16, 2019 that you and your sponsor were cohabiting in a common-
law relationship from 2003 until she left for Canada in 2015.

Before a final decision is made on your application, we would like to offer you the opportunity to respond
to this concern.
Any evidence or submissions which you or your sponsor may wish to submit to this office for consideration
in response to the concerns identified above must be received at our office within 30 days of

It turns out that the sponsor was declared as single when she was sponsored. She was sponsored by her daughter but due to lack of knowledge regarding common law, she was declared as single. Common-law is not really known to the Philippines and because she wasnt married during the sponsor PR application. She only got married a couple of years later after she became PR and lived in Canada. Now that she is sponsoring her husband it seems like this has made the husband ineligible to be sponsored.

Any advice on how to respond to this letter is appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Urgent Help Needed

Received this from Manila Visa Office

This is with respect to your application for a permanent residence in Canada.
Your application and all of the documents you submitted in support of it have been reviewed and it appears
that you may not meet the requirements for immigration to Canada.
Subsection 12(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a foreign national may be
selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law
partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Paragraph 117(9)(d) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations establishes the circumstances
under which a person may be excluded from the Family Class, notwithstanding their personal relationship
to their sponsor. Specifically, the Regulations state:
117(9)(d) A foreign national shall not be considered a member of the family class by virtue
of their relationship to a sponsor if, subject to subsection (10), the sponsor previously made an
application for permanent residence and became a permanent resident and, at the time of that
application, the foreign national was a non-accompanying family member of the sponsor and was
not examined.
Based on the information you have presented to this office, it would appear you fall within the exclusion
established by this provision. Specifically, you were not examined when your sponsor applied for and
subsequently obtained permanent residence in Canada.

You stated in your affidavit of March 16, 2019 that you and your sponsor were cohabiting in a common-
law relationship from 2003 until she left for Canada in 2015.

Before a final decision is made on your application, we would like to offer you the opportunity to respond
to this concern.
Any evidence or submissions which you or your sponsor may wish to submit to this office for consideration
in response to the concerns identified above must be received at our office within 30 days of

It turns out that the sponsor was declared as single when she was sponsored. She was sponsored by her daughter but due to lack of knowledge regarding common law, she was declared as single. Common-law is not really known to the Philippines and because she wasnt married during the sponsor PR application. She only got married a couple of years later after she became PR and lived in Canada. Now that she is sponsoring her husband it seems like this has made the husband ineligible to be sponsored.

Any advice on how to respond to this letter is appreciated.
There really is no response. The fact that common-law doesn't exist in the Philippines is not an accepted excuse. IRCC makes it quite clear in every app what a common-law partner is and that they must be fully declared and included.

As she failed to declare her common-law partner, she committed misrepresentation and her partner is forever excluded from the Family Class. The sponsorship app will be refused.

Dellopm

Oct 5, 2019
Hey all,
I am preparing for spousal sponsorship in near future and have some important questions.
My soon to be husband is born and resides in Qatar, but he hold a Iranian citizenship ( parents were Iranians). He does not have any documents from Iran. Will he be asked documents from country of residence or citizenship? His birth certificate, schooling etc is from Qatar.
And he is currently on a student resident permit, but doesn't go to university anymore, will this be an issue?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I am going through the forms now for spousal sponsorship too and they ask for whatever countries you hod citizenship. So, yes, I would imagine he will need something to prove Iranian citizenship.You would check the additional documents needed, when you get the forms. I am from the UK and didn't need any.

Reactions: Dellopm

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all,
I am preparing for spousal sponsorship in near future and have some important questions.
My soon to be husband is born and resides in Qatar, but he hold a Iranian citizenship ( parents were Iranians). He does not have any documents from Iran. Will he be asked documents from country of residence or citizenship? His birth certificate, schooling etc is from Qatar.
And he is currently on a student resident permit, but doesn't go to university anymore, will this be an issue?
Go through the country-specific requirements in the checklist to see what is required.

His current status is not an issue.

Reactions: Dellopm

Dellopm

Oct 5, 2019
I am going through the forms now for spousal sponsorship too and they ask for whatever countries you hod citizenship. So, yes, I would imagine he will need something to prove Iranian citizenship.You would check the additional documents needed, when you get the forms. I am from the UK and didn't need any.
Thank you for replying!

Anne16

Star Member
Oct 13, 2016
Philippine
Category........
FAM
Hello forum members,
I have a quick question please.

Our spousal application recently got moved to "in process".
But just today my husband got an email from CIC to request his "Option C printout" tax statement. He did supply a notice of accessment so it must be unclear.
He has requested the Option C from CRA.

When he does receives it, is it possible to scan it and send via the Case Specific Enquiry link or does it have to be physically posted to Sydney?

Thanks in advance,

Anne

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello forum members,
I have a quick question please.

Our spousal application recently got moved to "in process".
But just today my husband got an email from CIC to request his "Option C printout" tax statement. He did supply a notice of accessment so it must be unclear.
He has requested the Option C from CRA.

When he does receives it, is it possible to scan it and send via the Case Specific Enquiry link or does it have to be physically posted to Sydney?

Thanks in advance,

Anne
He can scan it.

Reactions: Anne16