+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

P

pzeudonym

Hi, I was wondering if I could get someone's advice on my situation.

I am a PR residing in Canada and have been trying to sponsor my spouse from Vietnam since last year. We got all the paperwork and marriage stuff out of the way and were just awaiting the interview which she had in Vietnam a couple days ago but was denied for 2 reasons:

-One being that she failed to provide copies of the Visas of the four times I've traveled to Vietnam. My passport expired recently and I had renewed it and had the old passport returned to me. However, I ended up losing the old one (probably threw it out by accident), and now my new passport is empty. I don't know how I could go about obtaining the Visas or a record of my travels from the old passport to show them.

-And secondly, the phone bills we provided to them which shows all the calls I made to her did not reflect her actual phone number because I used a long distance calling card every time I called. It would be ludicrous to dial directly overseas from Canada... What would be the best way to resolve this?

We were told that we could appeal our case, provided that these issues are fixed, but I don't really know where to begin.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

M

maximus391

Few days a go someone posted a PDF tool which enables to type and save the text in the forms. Does anyone has the link for it?

tarnen

Dec 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April-12-2011
AOR Received.
Oct-14-2011
File Transfer...
June-12-2011
Med's Done....
April-04-2011
Interview........
not needed
Passport Req..
Dec-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Jan-06-2012
LANDED..........
planned for March
KenShali said:
Bilawal I think what you're stating is if you could use the "religious" marriage certificate as opposed to the "civil" marriage certificate.
IF so, then yes it will create a problem for you.

As it states in the CIC website :

You are a spouse if you are married to your sponsor and your marriage is legally valid.

If you were married in Canada:

* You must have a marriage certificate issued by the province or territory where the marriage took place.

If you were married outside Canada:

* The marriage must be valid under the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law.
* A marriage performed in an embassy or consulate must comply with the law of the country where it took place, not the country of nationality of the embassy or consulate.

So, if you want to apply for spousal sponsorship you need to be married legally and not just religiously.
Hope this helps.
so what your saying is that even though you get married in a country (for example me... in Mexico) you then have to take steps afterword to make sure the marriage is legal in Canada too. I got married here a month ago and i am going through hell trying to make sure if it is actually legal in Canada too. needless to say we are completely lost

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maximus391 said:
Few days a go someone posted a PDF tool which enables to type and save the text in the forms. Does anyone has the link for it?
On an Apple Mac it is Preview, on a PC - if you search the forum for "PDF" you should find it.

Esther2010

Star Member
Jan 21, 2010
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BeShoo said:
If you are the one doing the declaring, you are the declarant, I believe.

The notary or lawyer will want to see you signing the form and to hear that you swear (as if under oath) that the information on the form is true. So, if you are filling out the form, you will need to be physically signing it with the notary watching, which means that you will need to do it in your country since that is where you are right now.
Thanks BeShoo. I am not sure if the visa officer will asked for the original copy of other documents as proof of our relationship (e.g. birthday/valentine/christmas cards, phonebills, used plane ticket, hotel bills, etc.) all under our name. I will just submit a photo copy of all bec. all the originals are intended for future application of spousal sponsorship. I even printed the chat logs we have since January of 2009...

Again thank you.

Esther

missinghim

Dec 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Dec-'10.
File Transfer...
04-Jan-'11.
Passport Req..
19-Jan-'11.
VISA ISSUED...
4-Mar-'11
LANDED..........
18-July-'11
Hi Leon, and others,
Any day now my hubby will be receiving his passport with visa in it. Our case has been straight forward/routine with no interviews or additional doc requests. I am more anxious about the expiry date on it & I have a question... Would they use our old medicals that expire at beginning of April or the news ones my hubby sent in volunterarily in case they weren't done processing our case by april. We didnt want delay and we thought we may have one by them asking us to redo medicals. We were also worried then too of getting less time to land. We know by fact the embassy received my hubby's 2nd/new medical reports in mid-February. My hubby needs time to land because of his job here, our pets here, and our house here. Hopefully, we will have more than 2 wks to land when we receive the visa. How common is it for them to give someone just 2 wks to land? And is it common for them to go with the new medicals & disregard the old for visa validity? Is it common for them to extend validity?

Thanks for your time!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they got and registered your new medicals, they should use those dates. If they did not, they may use the old dates.

As long as you have time to land, you can not count on them to extend but in cases where it happens that your visa is already expired by the time you get the passport, that is obviously a mistake and would be corrected. I have heard of 2 such cases.

Also heard of a case of a guy who got his visa with only 4 days to land and he had to travel to another country first with his wife's passport to give to her. He did not take the chance to ask to extend but spent the money instead on a quick flight for himself to his wife's homeland and for both of them to Canada and they made it before expiry.

asurania

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-29-2010 (Lost) Resubmitted 16-02-2011
Doc's Request.
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2011
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2011
LANDED..........
26-07-2011
Using Lawyer in Canada - Will PPR go to Lawyer or my wife in India

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tarnen said:
so what your saying is that even though you get married in a country (for example me... in Mexico) you then have to take steps afterword to make sure the marriage is legal in Canada too. I got married here a month ago and i am going through hell trying to make sure if it is actually legal in Canada too. needless to say we are completely lost
No, what they are saying is that if your marriage is legal in the country where it took place, then it is legal in Canada, assuming you and your partner are 18 years old or older. Marriage in Mexico is legal in Canada.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pzeudonym said:
Hi, I was wondering if I could get someone's advice on my situation.

I am a PR residing in Canada and have been trying to sponsor my spouse from Vietnam since last year. We got all the paperwork and marriage stuff out of the way and were just awaiting the interview which she had in Vietnam a couple days ago but was denied for 2 reasons:

-One being that she failed to provide copies of the Visas of the four times I've traveled to Vietnam. My passport expired recently and I had renewed it and had the old passport returned to me. However, I ended up losing the old one (probably threw it out by accident), and now my new passport is empty. I don't know how I could go about obtaining the Visas or a record of my travels from the old passport to show them.

-And secondly, the phone bills we provided to them which shows all the calls I made to her did not reflect her actual phone number because I used a long distance calling card every time I called. It would be ludicrous to dial directly overseas from Canada... What would be the best way to resolve this?

We were told that we could appeal our case, provided that these issues are fixed, but I don't really know where to begin.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, you can appeal the decision to the Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board. Start here:

http://www.irb.gc.ca/eng/port/immigrationapp/cladem/pages/index.aspx

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asurania said:
Using Lawyer in Canada - Will PPR go to Lawyer or my wife in India
Typically your representative will get notice of PPR on your behalf. But sometimes the VO bypasses the rep and sends it directly to the applicant.

AndreUK

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13 July 2011
File Transfer...
15 September 2011
Med's Done....
April 2011
Passport Req..
17 November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 2011
LANDED..........
21 December 2011
Sorry to post off topic,
I have a question for ya experts :eek:)

I've been married for almost 8 years to my Canadian wife - I plan on sending bank statements of joint accounts to "prove" our relationship as well as marriage certificates (both UK and Canadian). Do I also need photos, cards, correspondence, all that jazz? I guess "need" is not the right word, but it would be a mighty PITA to dig up all of that.

Also for those of you who sent in photos, did you have digital photos printed?
THANKS a lot!!

boxsterspeed3

Sep 5, 2010
hello everyone! I hope you can help me to clear some notions regarding on how will I sponsor my girlfriend to come with me to Canada if I am already there..

Currently, my mother is sponsoring me and my father under the Care-giver live-in Program..We are almost in the last stage of the processing..We're waiting for our visas to be issued..

My family promised me to help me to sponsor my girlfriend when I get there..They said that it will take 6 months before I can get her and I must marry her here in the Philippines..

I would like to ask you guys if you have any idea on how the processing goes in this kind of sponsorship and if possible, you can give me a time line of processing..

Also, is there a minimum time of staying there in Canada before I'll go back to here in the Philippines to marry my gf?

How can I prove to embassy that I can sponsor my girlfriend?is there a minimum salary to be achieved?

thank you very much!

missinghim

Dec 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Dec-'10.
File Transfer...
04-Jan-'11.
Passport Req..
19-Jan-'11.
VISA ISSUED...
4-Mar-'11
LANDED..........
18-July-'11
Leon said:
If they got and registered your new medicals, they should use those dates. If they did not, they may use the old dates.

As long as you have time to land, you can not count on them to extend but in cases where it happens that your visa is already expired by the time you get the passport, that is obviously a mistake and would be corrected. I have heard of 2 such cases.

Also heard of a case of a guy who got his visa with only 4 days to land and he had to travel to another country first with his wife's passport to give to her. He did not take the chance to ask to extend but spent the money instead on a quick flight for himself to his wife's homeland and for both of them to Canada and they made it before expiry.
Thanks Leon for your time! :)