+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

moonpie11

Sep 3, 2017
Hi,

I sent the inland application and checked that they received it on July 31th.
But I haven't got any email (file number, etc) from them yet. Is it normal? Or should I contact CIC if something's wrong?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Question 1: When applying for inland PR how does one remain in Canada ? Do you need to leave the country and re-enter? Or Apply for renewal of Visitor Entry Visa in the country?

Q2: Does (person being sponsored) having a visitor record impact your spousal sponsorship?

Q3: If renewing the visa while in country does not work (lack of time), is it recommended to inform border agents that you are applying for inland PR and need to maintain being in the country while applying, but that you will leave and re-enter when visa is expired?

Q4:

This is concerning a Finnish citizen

Situation: We had to planned to come to Canada, get married and start or in-land sponsorship process. Upon arrival, after speaking with a border agent, my spouse (the Finnish Citizen) was given a Visitor Record which will expire in 3 months. With this time frame we are unsure what steps we should take to be efficient and reach or result Having a successful sponsorship and finally living with each other.
1. If applying inland, the applicant can include an OWP app. This will maintain her status. It is advised to not leave Canada during the inland process.

2. No.

3. A person can apply to extend their stay online quite quickly and easily up until their status actually expires, so there isn't really ever a "lack of time".

4. There wasn't really a question. The Visitor Record doesn't change what you need to do, which is apply for sponsorship as normal. If you can't get the app together before her Visitor Record expires, she can simply apply online to extend her stay before expiry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear seniors,
My father is a canadian citizen since 1974. I born in 1986 outside canada and my mother was not Canadizan citizen that time. She got citizenship status in 1990. I just want to know under which category I fall. I am going to sponsor my spouse and in form their is a quesiton where they asked which type of citizen you are?

1:- Citizenship by birth
2:- Citizenship by Descent
3:- Naturalized Canadian citizen
Descent.

Sep 3, 2017
Question 1: When applying for inland PR how does one remain in Canada ? Do you need to leave the country and re-enter? Or Apply for renewal of Visitor Entry Visa in the country?

Q2: Does (person being sponsored) having a visitor record impact your spousal sponsorship?

Q3: If renewing the visa while in country does not work (lack of time), is it recommended to inform border agents that you are applying for inland PR and need to maintain being in the country while applying, but that you will leave and re-enter when visa is expired?

Q4:

This is concerning a Finnish citizen

Situation: We had to planned to come to Canada, get married and start or in-land sponsorship process. Upon arrival, after speaking with a border agent, my spouse (the Finnish Citizen) was given a Visitor Record which will expire in 3 months. With this time frame we are unsure what steps we should take to be efficient and reach or result Having a successful sponsorship and finally living with each other.
How did the line of questioning go resulting in your to-be spouse getting a Visitor Record? Usually visa-exempt nationals end up with the default stamp for 6 months.

On the plus side, a visitor record is usually sufficient (in Ontario anyway) to start the process of getting a drivers license if your to-be spouse doesn't have one.

immigration-info

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Visa Office......
Paris France
hi to all,
I'm a French citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen, we got married in July 2015 in Canada, and we applied for permanent residence outside Canada in may 2017 we received a letter from CPC Mississauga as they send file to paris visa office after that letter few days later my wife got a letter from Mississauga about eligibility they said you are not eligible to apply your husband permanent residence then few days later we receive a mail from paris embassy visa officer ask to pay RPRF rights of permanent residence fee , I'm really confused on that case if anybody's know what will happen after or how they proceed my case in paris, I'm very thankful to you

immigration-info

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Visa Office......
Paris France
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.

hi to all,
I'm a French citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen, we got married in July 2015 in Canada, and we applied for permanent residence outside Canada in may 2017 we received a letter from CPC Mississauga as they send file to paris visa office after that letter few days later my wife got a letter from Mississauga about eligibility they said you are not eligible to apply your husband permanent residence then few days later we receive a mail from paris embassy visa officer ask to pay RPRF rights of permanent residence fee , I'm really confused on that case if anybody's know what will happen after or how they proceed my case in paris, I'm very thankful to you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
hi to all,
You haven't really provided any information for anyone to be able to help you. Post the contents of the letter from Mississauga without any personal information.

In IMM1344, did you select to continue processing even if the sponsor is found ineligible?

immigration-info

Star Member
Aug 6, 2017
Visa Office......
Paris France
Thanks for asking, they consider to my wife ineligible to sponsor because she was in default in her previous undertaking for her mother. Her mother is on Disability due to the sickness. But file has gone from CPC Mississauga and now in Paris. Status of the application is in process. They have sent a letter to my wife in Canada about the ineligibility and found her in default. CPC Mississauga asked my wife to contact a Collection recovery unit and pay all debt which she owes till now. My wife has contacted them and they said the amount she owe. But my wife was paying since 2012 to them in a every month installment. She they deduct that money which she paid till now and gave her a figure what she owe. My wife sent a letter to Immigration Officer to consider this case as a Humanities & Compassionate basis as she can’t pay that much amount of money as its above her salary. We have two kids so she has mentioned that she is paying in every month and she can’t pay more than that until her husband in Canada.

Now we received an EMAIL from Paris Canadian consulate to pay the landing fee. Now we are confuse that why they asked landing fee if my wife was ineligible? Even though they know this fee is refundable. Please help us no idea what officer is thinking , are they already considering this case as a Humanities Compassionate basis or what? Please help u s

Thank you

hello_SS

Sep 4, 2017
Hello,

I am planning to apply for Canada PR. I went through the Express entry requirements and seems my wife and I both should be able to secure enough points to be eligible for PR through skilled express entry. Now here is my question:

- Shall both of us apply for permanent residency separately OR only I should apply with wife as a dependent? Which route is better as my wife also plans to work in Canada?

Afsheen Usman

Sep 2, 2017
hi i want to know is this necessary to provide birth certificates of my husband's all family members to CIC. I am just sending my husband's birth certificate. Is it ok? I am from pakistan and living in canada. My husband is in pakistan .

singh_maninder

Jan 5, 2016
Could anyone please help me on my queries
Hello Guys,

Could you please help me in solving my queries :

1. What is notice of assessment ? Would it be mandatory for all if we had a zero income last year ?
2. Job letter is mandatory or paystubs are file ? If paystubs are ok how much old these should be ?
3. Could you please guide me on the documents required for sponsoring my wife ? Different immigration consultants differ on all things .

Pepe_Lupardo87

Star Member
Dec 15, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
just a quick question, When I land at the airport I will have to fill out my declaration card. Now since we dont have an address yet and will stay with friends and family my question is which address do I best put in there. The family of my wife were we will stay lives on the Quebec side of Ottawa and I dont want to raise any suspicion with the immigration officers putting in that address. We are going to stay on the Ontario side once we have our apartment. Does it matter what address I put there?

loubegga

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi

I am applying for PR under spousal sponsorship (common law living in canada) I sent my application on August 13th and it was recieved already. My boyfriend haven't heard anything from them. How long does it usually take for the sponsor to receive email of approval ??

C

Classic Chucks

Hi

I am applying for PR under spousal sponsorship (common law living in canada) I sent my application on August 13th and it was recieved already. My boyfriend haven't heard anything from them. How long does it usually take for the sponsor to receive email of approval ??
4-8weeks

Reactions: SeineToHumber

loubegga

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
  1. ECAS status - Decision made

File sent 18th July
    File received ( Mississauga office) - 19th july
    AOR- 31st August
    No PCC/medical request/ Schedule A

It's showing 3 lines on CIC :-
    1 )we received ur application for ****
    On 19th july 2017
    2) we sent u corresponding acknowledgement receipt on 31st August
    3) we started processing ur application on 30th August

Is it normal for ECAS to show decision made without PCC/medical request nd all

Please reply
Hi. Can i ask are you applying from within canada or out of canada or outside of canada. I applied on 13th Aug and haven't had any response.