+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

AnnaandJer

Dec 1, 2015
ECAS is showing decision made but myCIC is showing background check in progress.
Is this typical? I've been following a couple of threads to try to determine timing but have yet to find someone in the same situation. Anyone able to share insight?

Hubby has a Canadian job offer and would love to be able to give them estimated timeline!

Thanks so much!

AnnaandJer

Dec 1, 2015
featherine said:
^ ECAS seems to be more up to date right now, so as long as the principal applicant is showing DM on ECAS, that should be the more recent information. My husband received his passport request in late January and it still hasn't updated for him.

To add your info to your profile, at the top of the page, go to Profile > Forum Profile Information (under Modify Profile). :D
'
Is it strange that background check is showing to "in progress" - I am having a hard time understanding how a decision would be made without the background check being completed...hmmm..i mean i will take it , but seems too good to be true.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
AnnaandJer said:
'
Is it strange that background check is showing to "in progress" - I am having a hard time understanding how a decision would be made without the background check being completed...hmmm..i mean i will take it , but seems too good to be true.
Your background check is complete. MyCIC isn't being updated with the decision until your CoPR is printed and sent. If it says DM in ECAS, everything is probably fine. If there was a problem requiring a procedural fairness letter, then ECAS wouldn't show DM. If they made a decision to deny your app, then MyCIC would show closed/denied.

Kara123

Star Member
Aug 7, 2016
Hi guys , I have a question, I just recently got approved for my PR application and have submitted my passport already, currently I'm in Canada waiting for my passport and once I get it I will go to the border and land, as far as I understood after that they will automatically issue my PR card and I'll have to wait for it within Canada for approximately 2 months. My question is me and my wife need to travel outside Canada for couple weeks to Europe in April, how long does it take to get the travel authorization and if it's safe to return with it and my second question is how long did it took you to get ur PR card since u land?
Thank you

D123

Mar 16, 2015
Help needed….
I am a permanent resident of Canada, residing currently in Montreal. I recently got married and my spouse is residing in India at present. As sponshership takes 12 months :
- Would it be possible to call my wife in visitors visa to Montreal and than apply for sponshersip once she arrives here. OR
- Should I apply for sponshersip and then once i obtain sponshership letter, apply for Visitors Visa.
I am confused, as I would like to call my wife here as soon as possible.
What would you suggest \ recommend .
Thanks a lot.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Hopefully someone can help me.

I'm wondering if I should start applying for a new FBI History check or not. The CIC received my application for PR and I was SA on Jan 26th, they have been "Processing" my application since Jan 28th. When I received my AOR1 on back on Jan 19th or so they had me upload an electronic copy of my 5669 Background Check form. The e-mail said nothing about requiring a FBI Background Check/Police Certificate.

I did include a FBI police certificate already in my original application but the new forms say they will request this later. I took a chance and included it hoping they won't need one later, after all it doesn't say to NOT include it, just says you're not required to include it up front anymore. So far it looks like they accepted it because they aren't requesting another one (and they already requested the 5669 form). So should I be in the clear, or do you know if they'll request it later on once they start to process my background check? I thought a fellow member had a CIC request to upload both the 5669 and to obtain a police certificate and if that's the case I'd definitely say I should be good but I can't find that forum post.

Thanks for any guidance. How long is the average wait time for In Process to Background Check started ... then to landing? I'm guessing I'm in the longest phase now but I'd figure I'd ask to be sure.

thanks

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
barch88 said:
Hopefully someone can help me.

I'm wondering if I should start applying for a new FBI History check or not. The CIC received my application for PR and I was SA on Jan 26th, they have been "Processing" my application since Jan 28th. When I received my AOR1 on back on Jan 19th or so they had me upload an electronic copy of my 5669 Background Check form. The e-mail said nothing about requiring a FBI Background Check/Police Certificate.

I did include a FBI police certificate already in my original application but the new forms say they will request this later. I took a chance and included it hoping they won't need one later, after all it doesn't say to NOT include it, just says you're not required to include it up front anymore. So far it looks like they accepted it because they aren't requesting another one (and they already requested the 5669 form). So should I be in the clear, or do you know if they'll request it later on once they start to process my background check? I thought a fellow member had a CIC request to upload both the 5669 and to obtain a police certificate and if that's the case I'd definitely say I should be good but I can't find that forum post.
I'm not 100% sure, but I would think that you're ok.

Thanks for any guidance. How long is the average wait time for In Process to Background Check started ... then to landing? I'm guessing I'm in the longest phase now but I'd figure I'd ask to be sure.

thanks
With the old application forms/process, it could be anywhere from 2-6 months after Sponsor Approval. It took about 4 months for me to go from SA to DM, with roughly 2 months of that because of the 2016 spousal quota being reached and Christmas break.

barch88

Dec 19, 2016
Penticton, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-01-2017
AOR Received.
19-01-2017
File Transfer...
26-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
17-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2017
LANDED..........
27-03-2017
Omegabyte said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I would think that you're ok.

With the old application forms/process, it could be anywhere from 2-6 months after Sponsor Approval. It took about 4 months for me to go from SA to DM, with roughly 2 months of that because of the 2016 spousal quota being reached and Christmas break.
Awesome! Well I'd imagine they would have requested it with the 5669 if the process is only ~4-6 months because the FBI thing takes 2 months on it's own.

Thank you, I keep checking daily. Did you see your background check status change on MY CIC or ECAS? Or did it just go from SA to DM?

joe989

Feb 16, 2017
Hi all! Just wanted to know if any 2016 November applicants for the OWP got any reply yet...would be very helpful to know. Thanks in advance :)

Kara123

Star Member
Aug 7, 2016
Hi guys , I have a question, I just recently got approved for my PR application and have submitted my passport already, currently I'm in Canada waiting for my passport and once I get it I will go to the border and land, as far as I understood after that they will automatically issue my PR card and I'll have to wait for it within Canada for approximately 2 months. My question is me and my wife need to travel outside Canada for couple weeks to Europe in April, how long does it take to get the travel authorization and if it's safe to return with it and my second question is how long did it took you to get ur PR card since u land?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Kara123 said:
I applied for a TA when my mother was dying and wanted to have my husband come to Canada - even with me explaining those circumstances (her death was imminent), I was three weeks in Canada (3.5 weeks after applying for the TA) and even though we had requested the application be cancelled 2 weeks after we applied, we received a notice approximately 6 weeks later to submit a passport for the TA...our application was made to the ADVO - so I'm not sure if different VO's have different process times....

So, I wouldn't make any plans unless you can apply for the TA in advance (but I'm not sure you can do that from within Canada) and receive it before you leave...

In terms of the PR card, this varies greatly. Some have received within 30 days and others it has taken 4 - 6 months - mostly because of the change in photo requirements. I assume those troubles are past (although some are still waiting perhaps) and typically the PR card is issued within 60 days of landing.

Not sure if this helps but might shed some light.

C.

Naina888

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hello everyone,

In the form IMM0008 it asks "Have you taken a test from a designated testing agency to assess your proficiency in English or French?" Is it asking specifically of IELTS or TOEFL or can it be English assessment from any institute? Is it a requirement for spousal sponsorship to have given any sort of English assessment?

Please kindly reply :)

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Naina888 said:
Hello everyone,

In the form IMM0008 it asks "Have you taken a test from a designated testing agency to assess your proficiency in English or French?" Is it asking specifically of IELTS or TOEFL or can it be English assessment from any institute? Is it a requirement for spousal sponsorship to have given any sort of English assessment?

Please kindly reply :)
IMM0008 is a generic form. Language proficiency assessment has nothing to do about spousal sponsorship.