+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

aliceee94

Jan 20, 2016
Hi everyone!
My boyfriend just found a job and got off social assistance and is going to sponsor me, the process starts in 1 or 2 months.
What documents do I need to prepare for it? I mean birth certificate, ID, passport, health checks and stuff like that.
Also is there an income requirement for the sponsored person?
And will there be a time limit to physically move to Canada? I'm still in university, might have to drop out if there's a time limit.

haz2016

Sep 26, 2016
Re: Spousal sponsorship - application now is VO

As I mentioned , the general rules is known. the question is how do they track it? how do they know that the PR sponsor spent time outside Canada. Application is in the VO now , processing , and then they issue the visa for the spouse as I picture it. Do they go back for the sponsor one more time to ensure that he or she lives in Canada?

thanks

Ponga said:
Almost spooky that it was exactly one year ago! :eek:

Calling CIC won't really give you the answer that you need. The Call Centre is notorious for giving information that is not always accurate...especially when it comes to something like this.

The underlying problem, is that CIC states that `short trips' outside of Canada are ok, but...they don't define what they deem to be a short trip; it's the personal discretion of the visa officer that handles your PR file to decide. If s/he thinks that a one month trip was too long, s/he can refuse the application.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Spousal sponsorship - application now is VO

haz2016 said:
As I mentioned , the general rules is known. the question is how do they track it? how do they know that the PR sponsor spent time outside Canada. Application is in the VO now , processing , and then they issue the visa for the spouse as I picture it. Do they go back for the sponsor one more time to ensure that he or she lives in Canada?

thanks
Uh...because they have access to CBSA entry/exit data.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
aliceee94 said:
My boyfriend just found a job and got off social assistance and is going to sponsor me, the process starts in 1 or 2 months.

What documents do I need to prepare for it? I mean birth certificate, ID, passport, health checks and stuff like that.

Also is there an income requirement for the sponsored person?

And will there be a time limit to physically move to Canada? I'm still in university, might have to drop out if there's a time limit.
Your sponsor needs to confirm with the welfare office that he is off of their list.

The app is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp.

There is no minimum income requirement but you guys need to show you can support yourselves without welfare. This is especially true for your sponsor because he was on welfare so recently.

You will need to land as a PR before your COPR expires and because you will have Condition 51, you will be required to cohabit with your spouse for 2 years immediately after landing.

You haven't said how you will be sponsored. Note that you must be either married or common-law first.

Avicon2016

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Hi! I just got my Police Clearance and they require me to use my husbands surname. However I am still using my maiden name on my passport because I am working here in Singapore. The renewal of passport is difficult on my part and it will take a while to release the new one here in SG.Would they accept if I am using my maiden name on passport and my husbands surname on my police clearance?

icy116

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
30-03-2016
Passport Req..
07-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2016
LANDED..........
19-11-2016
prvc said:
Thank you so much for your help. I'll start working on that timeline you suggested. Can I ask how did you print your pictures and how many were there? I just printed ours on a standard bond paper, 2-4 pictures per paper. I also printed some on a photopaper at home. However, I'd like to have the most significant pictures printed from a photocenter.

Also, I'd like to ask how you labelled your pictures..

For example, do I say:

Let's say my name is Hermione.

A. Our Hong Kong trip with my friends

B. Our Hong Kong trip with Hermione's friends

Another example:

A. Our wedding picture with my family

B. Our wedding picture with Hermione's family.

At first I started labelling it on a first person perspective, then it somehow got awkward. My hubby advised me to use a first name basis when labelling the pictures.. Like I have to definitely mention my name and his name every time. I'm clueless.. help. Haha. Thanks.
Thanks again.
Yes! Your hubby is right though it sounds awkward everytime you mention it in every page. it should be on 1st name basis. Don't use he/she/they.
Sample:
The picture taken during Harry and Hermione's engagement on Dec 2015 (just simple caption will do)

*just dont forget to put the date

We print our pics in a bond paper (2pics per pape)..landscape and use MS powerpoint :)

In MS PP, there is format wherein you can add 2 pics with label at the bottom.

Goodluck!

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
prvc said:
Thank you so much. :)
For pictures, it is recommended to list who is in the picture (esp family and friends)...here's how I did my captions:

2015-08-15 - Trekking in the Caucausus, Sam, Sally, Roger (friend), and guide

C.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
santaita7 said:
- I have landed in July and have already received my PR card.
- Me and my partner have been living together for a year BUT at the time of the application I haven't included him in my application as we didn't satisfy the one year requirement back then.
When did you hit the one year mark of living together?

icy116

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-04-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
30-03-2016
Passport Req..
07-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-10-2016
LANDED..........
19-11-2016
santaita7 said:
Hi all,

I'm a PR of Canada and here is my situation:

- I have landed in July and have already received my PR card.
- Me and my partner have been living together for a year BUT at the time of the application I haven't included him in my application as we didn't satisfy the one year requirement back then. We have no children.
- We are currently both living in Western Europe, but we wish to relocate to Toronto asap.
- I'd like to move to Toronto first, find a job and an apartment and then he will join me on a tourist/ETA visa.

My question is: Will we be able to sponsor him considering I'm a permanent resident? Will we be able to proof our relationship although we have lived together in Europe and not in Canada? I've been looking at the document checklist and I see that: a notice of assessment from the CRA for the most recent year (I've worked in Canada in 2015 but not in 2016) and a proof of income for the last 12 months might be necessary? Is that correct?

Am I overall in a situation (after I move back to Canada and find a job) to sponsor him?

Thanks for your help!
Hi santaita7, in my own opinion, you should declared him even he is not accompanying you to Canada.

Samzzk

Aug 4, 2016
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
02-12-2015
Med's Done....
29-06-2017
canuck_in_uk said:
As you've been told before, you are posting in the wrong section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens/PRs sponsoring family members. Post in the PNP or EE sections of the forum.
Nobody in the PNP section is helping out, would you be kind enough to help me please.

dimigago

Star Member
Jun 10, 2016
hi, i need answer please :)
Does anybody have experience with traveling out of Canada right after landing interview without receiving PR card?
Do you think it is possible to travel without PR card and somebody sending it via post when it arrives?

puffydread06

Jun 8, 2016
i have a question..

my wifes spousal application says decision made and she submitted her passport to the visa office in september 2016. we where told she has to be in canada by the 27th of october 2016. we re 2 weeks from that date and still no passport or info on her status. what happens if the date of arrival passes and no passport.. anyone going through this?

dimigago

Star Member
Jun 10, 2016
Why are you leaving Canada after your landing interview? And how soon is "right after?" The very next day or days after that?
If you really have to, it may be a problem when you re-enter. As it takes months for the Canadian PR Card to be produced.
My husband's PR card was delivered to him after 8 months of his arrival in Canada. He wasn't able and was clearly advised not to leave Canada even if he wanted to visit me in the US at that time. I don't know if other PR cards were produced sooner than 6-8 months.

I'm not pretty sure with the Canadian PR Card if it's possible to be sent to you via post, though. Even if you can, you're risking one important card which can be lost in the mail. But one thing is for sure, you are going to have a problem when you leave Canada without your PR Card just yet.

[/quote]

It was just a general question, right after could be the very next day..I heard from some people that somebody may send me the PR card abroad. Also I heard if I do not receive PR card before my return to Canada, I could apply for travel document as long as I have the landing paper and other documents that can prove that I am PR of Canada. I posted the question just to see if anybody has similar experience and if the things I heard are possible..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Samzzk said:
Nobody in the PNP section is helping out, would you be kind enough to help me please.
Your questions aren't going to be answered here since they are specific to the PNP program and don't apply to family sponsorship.