+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

CABBA

Jun 20, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
her residential address can be either or. it is perfectly acceptable for outland applicants to have a residential address in canada. this does not affect the application. if she considers herself a resident here, then put that. if she's a visitor, then she would probably put her home address for residential, and the canadian address she is staying at as her mailing. Her approval information will be mailed to the address listed in the application.
Thanks for your response.

Yes this is what i was wondering about, because I would think that she is technically technically a visitor in Canada at this time (since she entered with a TRV), and as she is now applying for "Permanent Residence" in Canada, then would be a resident of Thailand until she becomes a resident of Canada.

The problem is that i dont want to cause any confusion regarding which visa office they send her application to, or where they send any responses regarding the application. As you stated I was leaning towards Residential Address>>Thailand, Mailing Address>>Canada.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
CABBA said:
Thanks for your response.

Yes this is what i was wondering about, because I would think that she is technically technically a visitor in Canada at this time (since she entered with a TRV), and as she is now applying for "Permanent Residence" in Canada, then would be a resident of Thailand until she becomes a resident of Canada.

The problem is that i dont want to cause any confusion regarding which visa office they send her application to, or where they send any responses regarding the application. As you stated I was leaning towards Residential Address>>Thailand, Mailing Address>>Canada.
yes, that is my assumption too about residency. If her mailing address is Canada, she will receive stuff in Canada. Those who are in Canada during processing are usually given information about how to send the passport for processing to Ottawa. There's a section in the letter people have been receiving recently that says... "if you're in Canada and will be for 3 months or longer, send it to this office instead". You can submit a cover letter with the application pointing out she will be in canada as a visitor and to please send communication and passport requests there, if possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CABBA said:

Use the Canadian address in the app for both residential and mailing. There is no need to list a foreign address and it doesn't matter that she is here as a visitor.

Zion786

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Hi guys I applied for inland sponsorship. Yesterday After almost 5 years of being in the process I received a letter saying that the process is complete and that the montreal office will contact me with info for the landing.

I just spoke with a cic agent at the call center and she told me that another letter which is the "confirmation of permanent residence" will now be issued whoch I will bring to my landing appointment. I thought COPR letter was for outland applicants. What is this letter ?... Is this just a letter with my landing appointment date on it?..,.,can someone please clarify... Thanx in advance

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Zion786 said:
Hi guys I applied for inland sponsorship. Yesterday After almost 5 years of being in the process I received a letter saying that the process is complete and that the montreal office will contact me with info for the landing.

I just spoke with a cic agent at the call center and she told me that another letter which is the "confirmation of permanent residence" will now be issued whoch I will bring to my landing appointment. I thought COPR letter was for outland applicants. What is this letter ?... Is this just a letter with my landing appointment date on it?..,.,can someone please clarify... Thanx in advance
COPR is the approval letter for ALL PRs. You can not become a PR without this form. You and the agent will both sign it at your landing interview and they will staple it to your passort. This proves your PR status before you receive your PR card and is what you will use to get your sin, healthcare, etc. It will also be needed for a citizenship application in the future.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Zion786 said:

The call centre agent is wrong. You are right that COPR is only mailed to you with an outland app.

For an inland app the COPR is given to you at the landing interview, not mailed to you beforehand. All you should get in the mail is your scheduled appointment date and location.

JensenH431

Jun 21, 2016
My wife is attempting to sponsor me (a US Citizen), I lived in Canada for 10 yrs, however, I could not apply for the initial 5 and received processes on how to sponsor past my permit expiration dates. I am now stateside & am curious if she can sponsor me, but she is not working right now...I do support them when I can & she gets $$ from the gov't (not Social Assistance). The requirements as that she must bear the financial responsibility concerning...but also states in case of I/we have dependents being sponsored as well? Also, being that I live stateside would we be able to apply for open work permit (OWP) w/PR or do I have to reside w/in Canada for OWP? I unfortunately can't apply w/Provincial Nomination due to us being married, don't qualify as a Skilled Worker as most jobs in Canada require Certification/Education concerning job. Any information concerning would be greatly helpful...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
JensenH431 said:
My wife is attempting to sponsor me (a US Citizen), I lived in Canada for 10 yrs, however, I could not apply for the initial 5 and received processes on how to sponsor past my permit expiration dates. I am now stateside & am curious if she can sponsor me, but she is not working right now...I do support them when I can & she gets $$ from the gov't (not Social Assistance). The requirements as that she must bear the financial responsibility concerning...but also states in case of I/we have dependents being sponsored as well? Also, being that I live stateside would we be able to apply for open work permit (OWP) w/PR or do I have to reside w/in Canada for OWP? I unfortunately can't apply w/Provincial Nomination due to us being married, don't qualify as a Skilled Worker as most jobs in Canada require Certification/Education concerning job. Any information concerning would be greatly helpful...
It is not required for a sponsor to be employed and there is no income requirement. Many sponsors are successfully approved without an income. The sponsor can't have filed for bankruptcy or collected welfare. IT is perfectly acceptable if you are the sole breadwinner. All you need to do is show CIC how you will manage financially once approved. People show proof of savings, provide letters of support from family, or show employment proof for the applicant (if they are already working in canada), etc. There are many ways to show this in an application, so don't worry... sponsors are rarely rejected.

You will want to submit an OUTLAND application for spousal sponsorship. Since you are living in the states, it's your only option. Outland applicants are not eligible for an OWP. However, US citizens are seeing a very quick process right now - 2-4 months TOTAL, so it really isn't that big of an issue. US outland applications are processed in Ottawa. you can enter canada as a visitor while your applicaiton processes and stay there until approved if you like. You will not be able to work until approved for PR.

Yes, to qualify for an OWP, you would need to be living in Canada and apply "Inland". US citizens should NOT apply inland because it takes 2+ years to be approved, opposed to the 2-6 months it takes through outland. A person can be IN canada and still apply outland. For most current us applicants, they could be totally approved as an outland applicant in about the same time or LESS than an inland applicant would get the OWP.

The financial requirement for sponsors means they are agreeing to be financially responsible for the PR for 3 years after landing. This doesn't mean your wife has to be the sole bread winner. This basically means if you end up filing for welfare, she will be on the hook to pay canada back.

Again, APPLY OUTLAND. The sooner you get in your application, the higher chance you'll see the super quick processing currently trending.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Use the Canadian address in the app for both residential and mailing. There is no need to list a foreign address and it doesn't matter that she is here as a visitor.
Agreed 100%

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
I am applying to change my current IEC visa to a visitor visa. I got new passport in this spring because my old one is going to expire in autumn and my plan is going to stay here in Canada. Now, do I use copy of my old passport and stamps in it to show my landing to Canada, and also copy of my new passport to get new visitor visa? I think it can be a bit confusing for officer to see two passport and passport number..
And the same with PR & OWP application which I sent in April. I didn't explain new passport because I was thinking they see date of issue, but now I regret it because should be clear as possible with CIC :I

krish2015

Jul 6, 2015
Guys, my wife is sponsoring me and she is on a contract job that ends in two months. Her employment letter will mention that. I have a permanent position with a reputed organization. Would it be safe to apply now or wait until she gets permanent?

Any advise?

yamgia

Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
krish2015 said:
Guys, my wife is sponsoring me and she is on a contract job that ends in two months. Her employment letter will mention that. I have a permanent position with a reputed organization. Would it be safe to apply now or wait until she gets permanent?

Any advise?
If you scroll up like 3 posts from your question and read the first part of the post, that's posted by CDNPR2014. That pretty much answers your question.

Wofgo

Jun 12, 2016
Gnest said:
Question:

Is it possible: once approved PR, enter Canada to pick up PR. Leave Canada live in another country and return to Canada after 2 - 3 years. During this time the sponsored is being accompanied by a citizen to fullfill residency obligation.

Q:Will CIC allow a PR card holder to fullfill all of residency obligation time by accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada.

Please advice. Many thanks ! ;)

Tinzy

Jun 16, 2016
Hi guys , need your help in which options to choose from this question:
IMM1344 Application to Sponsor and Undertaking
Question 1: Check one box to indicate how you wish to proceed if you do not meet the sponsorship requirements.

A) the sponsorship application will not be processed. All fees will be refunded, except for the $75 sponsorship fee.

B ) the sponsorship application will be refused. None of the fees will be refunded.

kiwiblair

Feb 2, 2016
NEW ZEALAND
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2016
AOR Received.
25-04-2016
Med's Done....
up front
Passport Req..
29-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-10-2016
LANDED..........
11-01-2017
hi guys , just got my UCI number , and my application says "in progress" , does anyone know the average wait on outland apps from new zealand /australia
cheers blair