+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JamesBox said:
Hi Ponga, the thing that is confusing us the most is the officer referred to the sponsor forms and they called the sponsor - I've check those forms again and unless I'm missing it, I'm pretty sure they don't ask for the common law date on those.

Aren't they just on the applicant forms?

Either way, I'll write the letter state the day we moved in together (1st March 2015) and state the date 12 months from then (1st March 2016) and hopefully that will be sufficient.

Any more advice is more than welcomed!!
Check out this thread:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t264024.0.html

CIC replaced many of their experienced staff with students, that get a whopping 3 days of training. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of them sent you your letter.

cjg1987

Champion Member
May 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
11-11-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
Passport Req..
09-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2015
Hi Guys,

Help me out on this question.

My spouse and I got married in Canada when she was visiting me on Visitor Visa . She has returned to her home country .

How to answer the below question?

On form IMM 5490

Question 28 - Are you currently living with your sponsor?

No- When did your sponsor return to Canada?

In my case I never returned to Canada. I was always in Canada. In fact she has returned to her country.

nartcr

Dec 13, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 16 2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted with application
AOR Received.
AOR1: June 6 2016 SA: July 20 2016 AOR2: Sep 1 2016 PGR Request: Sep 27 2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
ECAS shows in process status
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
May 3 2016
Passport Req..
Jan 6 2017 Sent Jan 10 2017 Rvcd Jan 20 2017
LANDED..........
March 5 2017 - Vancouver
cjg1987 said:
Hi Guys,

My spouse and I got married in Canada when she was visiting me on Visitor Visa . She has returned to her home country .

On form IMM 5490

In my case I never returned to Canada. I was always in Canada. In fact she has returned to her country.
Provide the date when you entered Canada permanently.

BethanyM

May 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
03-06-2016
IELTS Request
SA 19-07-2016
File Transfer...
22-07-2016
Med's Request
Med Status: Passed
Med's Done....
April 2016
Interview........
26-09-2016
Passport Req..
WAITING SOON PLEASE
VISA ISSUED...
SOON I HOPE
LANDED..........
ASAP
cjg1987 said:
Hi Guys,

On form IMM 5490

You are the Sponsor is that correct? And your wife, who is not in Canada, is applying for PR (you are applying to sponsor her)
And you ARE in Canada yourself, is that correct?

IMM 5490 is a form for the person applying for Sponsorship to complete. It is not a Sponsor's form.
It is an Applicant's form.

Your spouse came on visitor visa to Canada and you married in Canada and then your spouse returned to her home.
This is that same as my husband and me.

This form is for your wife to fill out.

IS SHE LIVING WITH HER SPOUSE NOW (Is she living with you), Answer NO
When did she return to her home: Enter the date she left Canada.

lilua

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What kind of job offer is required

My Canadian wife is staying with me at Bangladesh since almost two years. Now she wants to sponsor me. Do you have any experience to apply like this? In that case she has to prove that she will be returning to Canada once my pr is approved.

She can do that by two ways:

- She has to provide a a rental agreement of a house or
- She has to produce a job offer

My question is what kind of rental agreement or job offer is required? Is there any specific format?

Tanatana

Apr 28, 2016
Hi everyone,

I just received below email from MVO.
I'm a Japan citizen sponserd by a Canadian husband who is a immigrant from europe.
When I sent all the documents for family class in 4th Jan to Missisauga, I already submitted all the documents they are asking in this email except birth certificate of my husband. I submitted a copy of his Canadian passport instead of birth certificate at that time since it'd take much more time to get birth certificate from his country and get it translated in English.
It also sounds very weird that he already got approval to be a sponsor in the end of February and they start asking me his birth certificate at this stage.
I'm not even sure if this email is the one called 2nd AOR but if there's anyone has receied the same message, please give me an advise!
Thanks a lot!

Dear xxxxxxxxx:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada which has been received at this office.

Your application number is xxxxxxxxx. Please ensure that you quote this number in all future correspondence with our office.

We have completed an initial review of your application and now require the following information/documents in order to continue processing:

Payment of Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF) by your sponsor in Canada to our office in Mississauga, if not already paid. Please provide a photocopy of the payment receipt by email to MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca.

For more information on how to pay fees, your sponsor may visit: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Valid police certificates from all countries where you and any family member age 18 and over have resided for 6 months or more. Police certificates which are not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified translation. For country-specific instructions, go to: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Refer to additional information under POLICE CERTIFICATES at the end of this letter.

Completed and signed forms:
IMM008 Generic application form
IMM5669 Schedule A: Background/Declaration (Do not leave any gaps in your personal history and addresses).
IMM5406 Additional Family Information form
Fillable forms are available at: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Six photos each for you and your accompanying family members. For correct photo specifications, go to:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Identity and Civil Documents
For Philippine citizens:
Ø PSA (Philippine Statistics Authority) Birth Certificate for yourself, your sponsor and all dependent children. (IF BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS LATE-REGISTERED, you MUST also submit baptismal certificate and other documents establishing identity such as old school records, voter’s ID, etc)

Ø PSA Advisory on Marriages for yourself and if applicable, your sponsor

Ø PSA Marriage Certificate

Ø PSA Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) for dependent children aged 18 and above

For Japan citizens:
Ø Birth certificate for yourself, your sponsor and all dependent children

Ø Marriage certificate

Ø Certified official copy of your "Koseki Tohon" and "Kaiseigen Koseki Tohon" which should include details of your birth, marriage and divorce (if any). All names of your family members, even the ones that have been removed due to death, marriage, change of residence, etc., must be included.

Note: Documents must be translated into English or French by a certified translator.

For Korea citizens:
Ø Birth certificate for yourself, your sponsor and all dependent children

Ø Latest Family Relation Certificate

Ø Old (deleted) Family Census Register

Ø Latest Certificate of Marriage Relation

Ø Latest Korea Certificate of Entry and Exit
Note: Documents must be translated into English or French by a certified translator.

Please note that if any of the information/documents listed above have been previously submitted to our office, they need not be submitted again.

To ensure the timely processing of your application, the required information/documents must be provided to us within THIRTY (30) days of the date of this letter.

Family Class Section

Permanent Resident Unit

Embassy of Canada, Manila

BethanyM

May 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
03-06-2016
IELTS Request
SA 19-07-2016
File Transfer...
22-07-2016
Med's Request
Med Status: Passed
Med's Done....
April 2016
Interview........
26-09-2016
Passport Req..
WAITING SOON PLEASE
VISA ISSUED...
SOON I HOPE
LANDED..........
ASAP
Re: What kind of job offer is required

lilua said:
My Canadian wife is staying with me at Bangladesh since almost two years. Now she wants to sponsor me. Di you have any experience to apply like this? In that case she has to prove that she will be returning to Canada once my pr is approved.

She can do that by two ways:

- She has to provide a a rental agreement of a house or
- She has to produce a job offer

My question is what kind of rental agreement or job offer is required? Is there any specific format?
I guess the main point is it has to look legitimate and convincing to the deciding immigration officer.
Personally I wouldn't bother submitting a document I made myself or made with a relative to rent their basement unit for example.
So, if someone is renting from an independent company not owned or controlled by family or friends, a legitimate contract of
lease would have to be signed AND the contact information of the leasing company would have to be clear. You can expect
immigration to check.

Likewise, a job offer would have to be in writing from a company you're not associated with and the appropriate company
contact information included.

Another option might be for the Canadian spouse to return home and get established at an address and in a job
and then apply to sponsor the spouse who is overseas.

TryCanada

May 12, 2016
TryCanada said:
It is not visitors visa. It is spousal application for PR. I am surprised to see passport request just after a month and few days! Does it mean that my friend's wife got decision that early? If yes, it is awesome.
It is just above a month (37 days) after sending application for spousal sponsorship by my friend, she got passport request and today she got her passport back with visa stamp on it!! Kudos!! It's meracle.

dolly0530

Star Member
May 1, 2016
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Mania VCO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-16
AOR Received.
11-06-2016 AOR2: 29-07-16
File Transfer...
07-25-2016
Med's Done....
29-03-2016 Status: PASSED
Wow..that's a good news.. Good luck to you and all the other applicants out there.

caldi33

Oct 6, 2015
Dear all,

I would like to ask if any of you have had a similar experience. My common law partner is a Canadian Citizen. She currently resides outside of Canada, in Macedonia, where we have lived together for 4 years. This summer for the first time, I got a Single Entry Tourist Visa for Canada.I have used this visa, and visited Toronto for a full month.

Now, I would like to ask based on your experience what is the best way that I can get an Immigration visa. My partner is not employed in Canada, and thus has no Canadian employment income. Is it better for me to apply for Immigration visa from Macedonia, or is it better to enter Canada on a tourist visa and then apply for Immigration visa from inside Canada?

Has anyone had an experience such as ours? How long does it take for am Immigration visa to be issued from outside/inside of Canada. The official website cic.gov.ca states rather long times for visa issuance!

tnx

canadafsw2015

Nov 10, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-02-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 17-03-2016 SA: 21-03-2016 AOR2: 31-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
11-12-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 08-05-2016 PPR: 11-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2016
Hello house!!

My wife got her PPR on 11th May. As she is here with me on Visitor's Visa, we sent her Passport to Ottawa for stamping, which reached Ottawa on 12th May.

It's been 2 weeks since and haven't received anything back nor heard from them. I even tried to track the Canada Post Xpresspost return envelope but to no luck ???

How long does it usually take to receive the stamped passport from Ottawa? Anyone here who sent their passport to Ottawa for stamping? In how much time did they received their stamped passports?

Cheers!

enggvirdi

Dec 2, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Pending
Nomination.....
22-12-2014
AOR Received.
NDVO does not send AORs
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
2nd line on 21st March 2015
Med's Request
07-04-2015
Med's Done....
18-04-2015; Third line on 28-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
When did you apply for her application? Its seems too fast to be real.

canadafsw2015 said:
Hello house!!

My wife got her PPR on 11th May. As she is here with me on Visitor's Visa, we sent her Passport to Ottawa for stamping, which reached Ottawa on 12th May.

It's been 2 weeks since and haven't received anything back nor heard from them. I even tried to track the Canada Post Xpresspost return envelope but to no luck ???

How long does it usually take to receive the stamped passport from Ottawa? Anyone here who sent their passport to Ottawa for stamping? In how much time did they received their stamped passports?

Cheers!

enggvirdi

Dec 2, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Pending
Nomination.....
22-12-2014
AOR Received.
NDVO does not send AORs
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
2nd line on 21st March 2015
Med's Request
07-04-2015
Med's Done....
18-04-2015; Third line on 28-04-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get married in December and I don't have much idea on spouse sponsorship. Do we have any step by step procedure ever shared on this forum, where I can have a quick look?

Please do share.

Also, I've heard some case where NDVO processed the complete spousal application in less than a year? Is this true because timeline on cic website says 17 months?

erable_rouge

Mar 5, 2014
Ontario
App. Filed.......
29-04-2016
Doc's Request.
05-31-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1:- 1 June 2016 ; AOR2:- 29 June 2016
IELTS Request
Sent with application
LANDED..........
3 Aug 2017
enggvirdi said:
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get married in December and I don't have much idea on spouse sponsorship. Do we have any step by step procedure ever shared on this forum, where I can have a quick look?

Please do share.

Also, I've heard some case where NDVO processed the complete spousal application in less than a year? Is this true because timeline on cic website says 17 months?
Well, there are reports of NDVO making passport request in 2-3 months. But, very few cases so far. Nevertheless, outland still remains the fastest path towards PR through spousal sponsorship.

If you are getting married in December'2016, there is still enough time to decide inland or outland. However, it would be clear in 2/3 months from now if the government has managed to cut short the waiting times, then you can make a decision.

Siempreamor

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Hi! I'm sponsoring my husband via the Outland spousal application process. It's now been 15 months. I did ask for a case specific inquiry and we were told that my husband's application is at "permanent residency in progress" and that no documentation is needed.

How much longer do you think it's going to take once we hear back about a decision.
Thank you once again.