+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stephan reily said:
my husband and my baby was sponsored by my mother in law and both of them become a PR last june 2015. and both of us got married september 2015
i dont know if i need to include him in my application form too because he is already a pr card.
and since i am the only onebeing sponsored we dont need to fill up the financial evaluation form right? just the sponsor evaluation?
Had you and your husband lived together for at least one full year BEFORE he became a PR?

asif89

Dec 15, 2015
Hi I am trying to sponsor my spouse and I have a question regarding the application fee. Which fees do I have to pay for sponsoring my spouse for a permanent visa. Please help. This payment structure is very confusing

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
$75- Fee to sponsor
$475- Applicant's fee
$490- RPRF (Right of Permanent Resident Fee)

Total- $1040

Optional (If applying Inland), the OWP fee is $255 (if the applicant wants/needs the Open Work Permit).
To qualify for the OWP, the applicant must have legal status in Canada.

confabulation

Jul 16, 2012
Could someone let me know it this seems right (with regard to checklist items I need for our application):

Background info: husband is American, I live in BC, he's from Oregon. We were married in 2012 (relationship started in 2010), had a baby in 2014 (in Canada). Various things have delayed application, but we're trying to get everything together for the end of he month - at which time I'll know if my seasonal job is extended. I don't want to apply saying I'm employed and then not be in a few weeks.

1. IMM 1344 - Application to sponsor
2. IMM 5481 - Sponsor evaluation
3. IMM 5540 - Sponsor questionnaire
4. Receipt for fees ($1040)
5. IMM 0008 - General app form for Canada
6. IMM 5669 - Sched A Background/Declaration
7. IMM 5490 - Spouse/Sponsor Questionnaire
8. IMM 5406 - Additional family info
9. Copy of my birth certificate + passport
10. Copy of marriage certificate
11. Death certificate (my previous marriage)
12. Notice of assessment (2014 - mine)
13. Proof of employment (if I am employed)
14. Identity and civil stat docs
15. Children info
16. Travel documents and passports
17. Proof of relationship
18. Original of police cert + clearance
19. Proof of medical exam (IMM 1017)

Also, he had his FBI check and stuff done a couple years ago (then we were delayed by death in the family/other illness) he should probably have that re-done , right?

Sorry if this is all dumb. Government language instantly makes my eyes glaze over and my brain turn off.

chandy13.13

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-1-2014
AOR Received.
5-4-2014
Med's Done....
6-11-2013 remedicAL 19-3-2015
Interview........
12-03-2015 decision made on 10 sept 2015
Passport Req..
14-sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-sep-2015
LANDED..........
very soon
Good news for spouses and partners who are applying for permanent residence from within Canada – the open work permit pilot has been extended for another year.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-12-11.asp?utm_source=facebook-citcanada&utm_medium=owly-eng&utm_campaign=generic

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
confabulation said:
Could someone let me know it this seems right (with regard to checklist items I need for our application):

Background info: husband is American, I live in BC, he's from Oregon. We were married in 2012 (relationship started in 2010), had a baby in 2014 (in Canada). Various things have delayed application, but we're trying to get everything together for the end of he month - at which time I'll know if my seasonal job is extended. I don't want to apply saying I'm employed and then not be in a few weeks.

1. IMM 1344 - Application to sponsor
2. IMM 5481 - Sponsor evaluation
3. IMM 5540 - Sponsor questionnaire
4. Receipt for fees ($1040)
5. IMM 0008 - General app form for Canada
6. IMM 5669 - Sched A Background/Declaration
7. IMM 5490 - Spouse/Sponsor Questionnaire
8. IMM 5406 - Additional family info
9. Copy of my birth certificate + passport
10. Copy of marriage certificate
11. Death certificate (my previous marriage)
12. Notice of assessment (2014 - mine)
13. Proof of employment (if I am employed)
14. Identity and civil stat docs
15. Children info
16. Travel documents and passports
17. Proof of relationship
18. Original of police cert + clearance
19. Proof of medical exam (IMM 1017)

Also, he had his FBI check and stuff done a couple years ago (then we were delayed by death in the family/other illness) he should probably have that re-done , right?

Sorry if this is all dumb. Government language instantly makes my eyes glaze over and my brain turn off.
The FBI letter should still be valid, as long as he has not entered the U.S. since it was issued. If he has, then he needs a new one.

If he's with you in Canada, please tell us that you're submitting an OUTLAND application, since it's about 3-1/2x faster than Inland for most Americans.

confabulation

Jul 16, 2012
We are! Outland for sure. He goes back to the US every once in a while, but he did overstay while I was pregnant/right after the baby was born. I'm sure that'll come up, but whatever. Time to get all this stuff out of the way!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
confabulation said:
We are! Outland for sure. He goes back to the US every once in a while, but he did overstay while I was pregnant/right after the baby was born. I'm sure that'll come up, but whatever. Time to get all this stuff out of the way!
I think they care more that the PR is going to remain in Canada to fulfill residency obligations than they do about overstaying. I'm not at all saying overstaying is a good idea, but since it's happened, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Just make sure your app is complete in every way, check it over a bunch. That's the most important factor in a speedy application process (that's the only thing you can control anyways).

Stephan reily

Oct 17, 2015
Philippines
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
submitted:04-12-17/////resubmitted on: may 24 NO UPDATE YET
Doc's Request.
-----
VISA ISSUED...
Soon!
Ponga said:
Had you and your husband lived together for at least one full year BEFORE he became a PR?
we haven't lived in one house
me and my baby stayed in my moms residence and he stayed in theres because he was still studying that time . we visit each other often
we started living together last august 2015 when he proposed

engrijlal

Sep 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
File Transfer...
20-11-2014
Med's Request
30-6-2015
Med's Done....
29-7-2015
Passport Req..
18-8-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-8-2015
LANDED..........
18-03-2016
One Year Pilot – Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class:

One Year Pilot – Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class
Summary

Effective December 22, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will commence issuing open work permits to certain spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC) applicants before the approval in principle decision is made.

Applicants who have already submitted an application for permanent residence under the SCLPC class but have not yet applied for an open work permit should complete a work permit application, include the appropriate fee, indicating that they are applying for an open work permit, and submit it to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, at the following address:

CPC – Vegreville
WP - Unit 777
6212-55 Avenue
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6
If an SCLPC applicant has already received approval in principle, they have the option of applying for an open work permit online.

New SCLPC applicants should complete a permanent residence application and an open work permit applications, include the appropriate fees, and submit both simultaneously to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga.

CIC will begin issuing open work permits to eligible applicants in the current SCLPC inventory. SCLPC applicants whose permanent resident applications are received after December 22, 2014 will have their application for an open work permit processed within four months of receipt of their work permit application.

Standard medical requirements for open work permits apply.

After one year, CIC will assess this pilot and determine how to most effectively process open work permits for SCLPC applicants moving forward.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

Tahiti2012

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Oct 06, 2016
LANDED..........
07/11/2016
Hello Everyone. Please help. for spousal sponsorship. My wife application is ready to be send. I have a question all the original documents will be included like Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate in box that we will send to Mississauga CPC? Thanks in advance.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
Tahiti2012 said:
Hello Everyone. Please help. for spousal sponsorship. My wife application is ready to be send. I have a question all the original documents will be included like Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate in box that we will send to Mississauga CPC? Thanks in advance.
I don't know if you are filing Outland or what country you are from and the instructions may be different depending on those two things.
Mine was US and Outland so only the letter from employer and option c printout and FBI report had to be originals.
Your instructions and checklist will tell you for sure.

Tahiti2012

Star Member
Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
MISSISSAUGA-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Oct 06, 2016
LANDED..........
07/11/2016
Thank you for your reply SnowIsland. Outland application for us from the Philippines. I will just check the Checklist thanks for the idea.

JO1986

Star Member
Jun 3, 2015
Hello All,

Application Received - Oct 19, 2015
AOR1 - Dec 8, 2015
SA - Dec 16, 2015

...You have met the requirements for eligibility as a sponsor. Accordingly, the Application for Permanent

Residence for your relative has been forwarded to the visa office in CPC-Ottawa for further processing.

This visa office was selected based on your relative’s home address and the requirements of the

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act...

Maybe because I currently am on a study permit here in Canada. I had chosen outland (as it is faster) and expected my file to be forwarded to New Delhi (India) office.

Any idea as to how much time the OTTAWA office is currently taking (the website shows 17 months but it's normally way less for straight forward genuine marital cases).

Thanks..

LeBentit

Dec 16, 2015
Hello

My wife and I are current living in Canada, she is a Canadian citizen and we have applied to the sponsorship process.

However, since I am currently here in Canada as a visitor I am only allowed to stay here for 6 months.

We initially started the sponsorship process as inland but since the processing times are longer than 27 months we decided to cancel it and submit another application outland to São Paulo Office in Brazil since the processing times are only 7 months.

My 6 mouths here ends in February so I would like to know if I can remain in Canada as a Visitor (implied status) while we submit a new process outland to São Paulo Office and also if I can receive my Permanent Resident card in Canada after the process is done.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Thank you! :D

Thank you