+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

RachelB

Aug 26, 2015
Hello everyone,

did you know that they just changed the processing times for the outland spousal sponsorship for most countries?

for my country (Lebanon), it suddenly went from 16 months (step 2) to 64 months !

It went up for other countries too (like India, Morocco...etc) . but all other countries are much less than us. the closest one is USA with 39 months.

anyone has any idea about this sudden change? could there be an error on their website or sthg?

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
RachelB said:
Hello everyone,

did you know that they just changed the processing times for the outland spousal sponsorship for most countries?

for my country (Lebanon), it suddenly went from 16 months (step 2) to 64 months !

It went up for other countries too (like India, Morocco...etc) . but all other countries are much less than us. the closest one is USA with 39 months.

anyone has any idea about this sudden change? could there be an error on their website or sthg?
You can follow this link
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cic-processing-time-changed-t346380.0.html

And US applicants are processed in Ottawa.

gEscobar

Aug 21, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Since you are applying OUTLAND while living in the Philippines, yes you do indeed send your application to CPC-Mississauga. Every outland application now goes there first. Since you both are living outside Canada, be sure to also include proof that you intend to reside in Canada once you land.

Hi thank you! For the response :)
We should send via mail all the documents to CPC-M? What is their mailing address? My husband is working to their company in Quebec .. They have a family business there .. He is a Canadian citizen also .. How we will know if the CPC-M received it documents ? Sorry I am really confused because I am afraid of that our application they will not entertain because my hubby is here in the Philippines for a while ...

jennyjenjen

Aug 26, 2015
OK here goes

I left Canada to live temporarily with my fiance in California April 2013 - I overstayed my US visitor visa by a week but we both came back to Canada at that time (Oct 2013).
I was pregnant and have since had a child and we were married Feb 2015.
Now my husband has been in Canada this whole time and not left. He has overstayed his visitor status (6 months) by over 1.5 years.

What are our options?
We are planning to go back to the US in the next month but if we leave will he be denied access to come back to Canada?
Will I be allowed back in the US after overstaying for 1 week (2 years ago)?

HELP - I dont want to leave if we will never get back in together..

Thanks in advance

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jennyjenjen said:
OK here goes

I left Canada to live temporarily with my fiance in California April 2013 - I overstayed my US visitor visa by a week but we both came back to Canada at that time (Oct 2013).
I was pregnant and have since had a child and we were married Feb 2015.
Now my husband has been in Canada this whole time and not left. He has overstayed his visitor status (6 months) by over 1.5 years.

What are our options?
We are planning to go back to the US in the next month but if we leave will he be denied access to come back to Canada?
Will I be allowed back in the US after overstaying for 1 week (2 years ago)?

HELP - I dont want to leave if we will never get back in together..

Thanks in advance
The U.S. and Canada see/treat those that overstay their visa very differently.

If a person overstays in the U.S., they can be banned for up to 10 years. Fortunately for you, that's not going to happen. If you had stayed 180 days or more (but less than 365 days) you would have a 3 year ban. An overstay of 1 year or more, means a 10 year ban.

A one week overstay is probably not a big deal, since you are from a visa exempt country. Here's someone that was in a similar situation that was not visa exempt:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/i-overstayed-week-can-i-return-the-us-the-visa-waiver-program.html

Canada is more forgiving, but that doesn't mean that they `forget' about those that have overstayed. It's very possible that he will be denied re-entry because of his overstay. In fact, the CBSA officer could even serve him with an Exclusion Order, banning him from re-entering Canada for a year, or more.

Now...what are your plans for him to get legal status in Canada? Will you be applying to sponsor him under Family Class Spousal Sponsorship? If so...you should know that up until September 2014 a person did not need legal status to be sponsored if they were in Canada. CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) updated the instruction guide for Inland applicants that now states that legal status is required. This guide has since been updated again, and that new language remains. However, AFAIK the Public Policy that was put in place way back in February of 2005, by then Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Joe Volpe (allowing those without status to apply) has not been retracted.

What does this really mean?

People without status are still continuing to apply, so I guess it's somewhat of a `wait and see' what, if anything, CIC is doing differently. It's obvious that their guide was updated for a reason, but perhaps it's still status quo...for now!

Some will say that your husband's best option is to submit an Outland application ASAP (while he is in Canada) and then return to the U.S. while his application is being processed. His overstay will not, in and of itself, prevent him from being approved. Once he is approved, he then returns to Canada (with his CoPR document in hand) and lands as a legal, Permanent Resident of Canada. Besides, the processing time for an American (assuming your husband is in fact a U.S. citizen) is only ~ 6-8 months now, compared to the ~ 2 years if he were to stay in Canada and submit an Inland application. Because of his overstay (which needs to be disclosed, no matter which application he chooses), there's a chance that he could be removed from Canada, which would kill the Inland application.

Time really is your enemy now, so decide what is best for you and your family and...do it ASAP!

Good luck!

norkathompson

Aug 26, 2015
About my husband´sponsor application (First Step), do you know if sometimes take more than 57 days as it said at the Web Page? in our status says that our documents were received on June 25 and starting to processing on July 28. I guess we should hear knews this week?

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
norkathompson said:
About my husband´sponsor application (First Step), do you know if sometimes take more than 57 days as it said at the Web Page? in our status says that our documents were received on June 25 and starting to processing on July 28. I guess we should hear knews this week?
Sometimes it can take more than 57 days but it shouldn't. On CIC's site where they have the processing times, I believe they have a link at the bottom to contact them if it has been more than 57 days.

rbbridge

Aug 25, 2015
Hi
I am sponsored by my husband. Due to the long application time, my passport will be expiring. So I am in the process to get a new passport. Anyone has the experience that if one gets a new updated passport, should the person contact the CIC Visa Office right away or if anyone else has any experience with change of passport due to the long duration of processing and what should one do? And if this would be a problem? or should this cause a delay.

If anyone has any experience on this topic, I would appreciate if someone can offer some insight. Thank you.

mmarkovs

Aug 24, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
First off, there is no work/study permit. Inland applicants can apply for an Open Work Permit. If she wants a study permit, she will need to be accepted to an educational institute and apply for the permit; this will require showing proof of funds and ties to her home country.

1. You must have the actual marriage certificate.

2. It is strongly advised to not leave Canada while in inland app is being processed, especially if not visa-exempt. The work permit and your marriage in no way guarantees entry.

3. No, she does not need to extend her visitor status as long as the inland app and OWP app are submitted prior to her current status expiring.
Thanks for the insight. I am finding a couple of things quite frustrating. I have different answers for a number of things.

1) Many people, including through browsing this forum, have told me that I can submit the temporary marriage certificate wit hthe app, and then just submit the official one when I get it. There must be an official answer somewhere, but I cant seem to find it.

2) I understand that any time you leave the country and are here on any type of visa/work permit, you are never "guaranteed entry." But the same can be said about anybody who has obtained a tourist visa and is coming here. They also told my wife that the tourist visa she got was still not a "guarantee" and it was up the the officer to let her in or not. The fact is, why would she be denied entry? We are married, our application is submitted, and she would be approved for the open work permit. What would be the point of doing all that if they were going to refuse her entry once? It just makes no sense. We just want to go back and have a wedding there because her family is there. Doesnt the officer at the border have to have sufficient reason to deny you entry in our situation?

gEscobar

Aug 21, 2015
There's a big possibility that the sponsorship sometimes they gave rejection from the allocation of the local citizen in canada ?

half21

Star Member
Aug 26, 2015
winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-15
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
--
AOR Received.
(AOR1)16-01-16 ● (IP) 31-1-16 ● (AOR2) 2-2-16●(AOR2 email)22-3-16
IELTS Request
--
File Transfer...
(SA) 26-01-2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
3-11-2015
Interview........
--
Passport Req..
Very soon pls..
LANDED..........
Hoping year 2016 pls
i have question about filling the spouse sponsorship application, i fill all them all and validated it but some of the boxes my answer wont fit, is it okay to hand written some of the answer that wont fit on the box provided?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
gEscobar said:

Hi thank you! For the response :)
We should send via mail all the documents to CPC-M? What is their mailing address? My husband is working to their company in Quebec .. They have a family business there .. He is a Canadian citizen also .. How we will know if the CPC-M received it documents ? Sorry I am really confused because I am afraid of that our application they will not entertain because my hubby is here in the Philippines for a while ...
Ok, you made it sound as if he were living in the Philippines. There's no problem at all that he is visiting you when you submit the application. Send it as a registered mail or tracked package. If you use a courier like Fedex you have to send it to a different address.

Regular mail:

CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6

Courier:

2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
half21 said:
i have question about filling the spouse sponsorship application, i fill all them all and validated it but some of the boxes my answer wont fit, is it okay to hand written some of the answer that wont fit on the box provided?
No I would not handwrite a typed application. Instead put "please see additional paper" and write the IMM # and question number and your UCI number (if you have one) name on the separate paper, and put the answers there.

m9090

Apr 7, 2015
My wife got an email today - procedural fairness letter - ABU DHABI VO has concerns that I, sponsor, does not reside in Canada. VO wants additional information in 30 days. What additional information can I send to the VO. Please help