AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi, guys! Been reading this forum for some time now, collecting all the info for my future endeavors. ;)

I need a bit of clarification about my particular case.

My future wife and I plan on applying for a PR for me in about a year and a half or so. She is currently in the process of getting her own PR as a skilled worker. She first came to Canada in 2010 on a study permit, finished her program, did her internship and got a job which landed her a work permit. She has had a full time, well paying (I know that's important if she's to be my sponsor) job for a year and a half now. If all goes well, she should have her PR sometime this year.

Now, my question is, is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass between her getting her PR and being able to sponsor? Our plan is to get married and apply as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions there or if it would raise any flags. By the time we do this, she will have been in the country for 5+ years with a full time job for 2+, good credit and all that. As for the PR, depending on how we organize ourselves, but it won't be too long from the time she gets it (naturally, we want to get me there as soon as possible because this long distance thing sucks ;) ).

Thank you in advance!

Any and all advice pertaining to our situation is more than welcome. :)

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
np08 said:
Hi, guys! Been reading this forum for some time now, collecting all the info for my future endeavors. ;)

I need a bit of clarification about my particular case.

My future wife and I plan on applying for a PR for me in about a year and a half or so. She is currently in the process of getting her own PR as a skilled worker. She first came to Canada in 2010 on a study permit, finished her program, did her internship and got a job which landed her a work permit. She has had a full time, well paying (I know that's important if she's to be my sponsor) job for a year and a half now. If all goes well, she should have her PR sometime this year.

Now, my question is, is there a certain amount of time that needs to pass between her getting her PR and being able to sponsor? Our plan is to get married and apply as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions there or if it would raise any flags. By the time we do this, she will have been in the country for 5+ years with a full time job for 2+, good credit and all that. As for the PR, depending on how we organize ourselves, but it won't be too long from the time she gets it (naturally, we want to get me there as soon as possible because this long distance thing sucks ;) ).

Thank you in advance!

Any and all advice pertaining to our situation is more than welcome. :)
The biggest flag that comes up is if you have ever lived together for 12 months, you'd be considered common law partners (effectively, already married), and then she'd need to mention you on her application in order to be able to sponsor you later. Also, is there a reason you couldn't get married and then she'd include you on her skilled worker application (I don't know anything about skilled worker visas, but someone else here will)?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
IvanP said:
The biggest flag that comes up is if you have ever lived together for 12 months, you'd be considered common law partners (effectively, already married), and then she'd need to mention you on her application in order to be able to sponsor you later. Also, is there a reason you couldn't get married and then she'd include you on her skilled worker application (I don't know anything about skilled worker visas, but someone else here will)?
No, that won't be a problem because I'm still in my home country, currently in school. So I've went there for short visits, but never that long. As for the marriage thing not happening earlier, we've been together for a year and a half now so it's still a bit early for that, but it seems that this is it (yay!) so we're looking to the future now and making permanent plans. :) And I think there might be a difference between skilled worker and experience class. I think what she's doing is the latter (when you work in Canada for a while and then get your PR based on that).

amjad3126

Star Member
May 20, 2014
My Spouse for whom i applied via inland application got open work permit while our first stage approval still take 15 month from now to process.

My question is as we are not from visa exempted country, so can i apply for her TRV on OWP basis or not.

What are the chances that she will get it and can we travel on that basis and re-enter again in canada or that put bad impact for our inland application.

Thanks
Muhammad

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
Hi there. Its been 6 months I am a canadian permanent residence. I am planning to go back to my country to get married after few months. Then I will return Canada after a month stay at home and sponsor my spouse. Is there any problem in my case? Or do I have to be cautious about anything? Plus I am doing a full time job rt now.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
sussie said:
Hi there. Its been 6 months I am a canadian permanent residence. I am planning to go back to my country to get married after few months. Then I will return Canada after a month stay at home and sponsor my spouse. Is there any problem in my case? Or do I have to be cautious about anything? Plus I am doing a full time job rt now.
Your plan is ok. You will have to make sure you show proof that your relationship is genuine.

softball

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
HI i submitted my inland application in May 2014, got AOR in Aug 2014. I also worked in Canada for a few years after I graduated from a canadian university, and I am still working now. I just received my owp from the family sponsorship owp pilot project. I am wondering if I can and should submit my profile in express entry category to speed up my process? I don't have LMIA, but I have a formal full-time job with a owp.

dylanjoel

Jan 14, 2015
Hello everyone!
This forum has been such an incredible resource for information. Thank you! I do have a few thoughts/questions I would like to share in hopes of obtaining a bit of clarity.

I'm an American and my g/f is Canadian. She is currently an elementary school teacher and I'm a 'non' ticketed carpenter. We have been in a relationship since the summer of 2010 and have been visiting one another on a consistent basis ever since. I committed (financially) to a new home in Victoria for her and I July of 2014. Since then, I have spent about 2 months living/visiting Victoria, all the while, still maintaining a residence in Bellingham, WA. As of Jan/2014, I no longer have a lease in my name in Bellingham and plan to stay in Victoria as long as possible. This last time I crossed(12/20/14) was the first time in the four years where I 'forced' to obtain a visitor report that is good until April/2015. I am enrolled in a 10/month trades program in Victoria that begins Sept/2015 and they won't issue a study permit until the month before the program starts.

With all that being said, we have recently been discussing the idea of getting married. I have yet to purchase a ring/propose, although it is something we both desire. We are open to getting married (legally/on paper) in order to begin the application process considering we don't plan to have the 'actual' wedding the summer/2016.

So my questions are has follows:

1)I read about the process on the bc/gov website and the civil ceremony seems straightforward. Would there be any issues and/or concerns with the spousal sponsorship/PR application if we have an impromptu ceremony that is very informal with only a few witnesses? And how long does it generally take to obtain the legal Marriage Certificate once the marriage is registered?

2)To my understanding, we should apply Outland for the quickest turnaround time even if I am living/visiting in Victoria?

3)I did consult with a lawyer($300/half an hour) 6 months ago and she mentioned the outland takes 9-12 months and also strongly recommended I use a lawyer in order to prevent a refuse? Is this her way of trying to get $5k out of me? From what I've read, I don't necessarily 'need' to be legally represented considering our situation is straightforward i.e. canadian married to an american with no criminal record??

4) I recently noticed an update on the CIC website----Effective December 22, 2014, eligible spouses or common-law partners have the opportunity to work in Canada while they wait for their application for permanent residence to be processed. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made. I am assuming this is only for people applying INLAND?

We are so excited to be co-exsiting in the same place/space. The sooner we can eliminate the barriers, the better.
Any thoughts and information shared would be greatly appreciate!
Thanks for the consideration.
Cheers!

Morganhannah

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
18-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-04-2015
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2015
Silly question...

When filling out the forms especially the sponsored spouse questionnaire, I'm curious how some worded their answers. Did you use "my spouse and I" when answering questions or did you refer to your spouse by first name.

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
tink23 said:
Your plan is ok. You will have to make sure you show proof that your relationship is genuine.
Proofs as in?? is there anything specific that I have to submit? Except marital registration documents?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sussie said:
Proofs as in?? is there anything specific that I have to submit? Except marital registration documents?
Yes - you need to submit far more than just marital registration documents. You need to include additional proof to show that your relationship is genuine. This can include: joint property ownership, joint bank accounts, joint taxes, wills, joint utility bills, photos, proof of joint travel, evidence from your wedding, proof of communications, etc.

Marital registration documents are certainly not enough.

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
scylla said:
Yes - you need to submit far more than just marital registration documents. You need to include additional proof to show that your relationship is genuine. This can include: joint property ownership, joint bank accounts, joint taxes, wills, joint utility bills, photos, proof of joint travel, evidence from your wedding, proof of communications, etc.

Marital registration documents are certainly not enough.
Hey thanks. But since I won't be staying long back home I cannot provide joint accounts n bills. Still I will be able to provide photographs, proof of communication. hope that will be enough.

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
sussie said:
Hey thanks. But since I won't be staying long back home I cannot provide joint accounts n bills. Still I will be able to provide photographs, proof of communication. hope that will be enough.
Do you have Employer life insurance showing your partner as a beneficiary? I didn't have joint accts with my partner but we both had each other as an authorized user on our credit cards and beneficiaries on both of our employers group life insurance.

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
jamsham12 said:
Do you have Employer life insurance showing your partner as a beneficiary? I didn't have joint accts with my partner but we both had each other as an authorized user on our credit cards and beneficiaries on both of our employers group life insurance.
Well I do not have him as a beneficiary right now. Since we are not married yet. But I can change it in his name as soon as we get married. And present that document too.

PeriwinkleNymph

Star Member
Oct 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Jan-2015
AOR Received.
12-Mar-2015