+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

LilianaPyon

Jul 6, 2014
Re: Spousal sponsorship- IMM1344

canuck_in_uk said:
It's asking if you want to continue with the application even if the sponsor is refused. Unless there are some incredibly strong H&C grounds to counter the sponsor refusal (pretty much unheard of on the forum), checking yes to proceed will lead to the entire app being refused.

It's better to check the "withdraw application" box, as you can then get a refund for the majority of the fees, address the issue for sponsor rejection and re-submit the app.
Thank you very much!!!! Now I understand it!

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Hey guys...
Do all the forms must be filled in english/french or can be filled on my native language (portuguese) since the process will be send to Sao Paulo VO?
Thanks in advance.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
DanSlh said:
Hey guys...
Do all the forms must be filled in english/french or can be filled on my native language (portuguese) since the process will be send to Sao Paulo VO?
Thanks in advance.
the guide specifically states it must be in english or french. if you submit forms in another language, my guess it will be returned as incomplete.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
rhcohen2014 said:
the guide specifically states it must be in english or french. if you submit forms in another language, my guess it will be returned as incomplete.
I couldn't find anything about the language. :(
Can you indicate where is it, please?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
DanSlh said:
have you read the guide? sponsor's guide and immigrant guide? i can't tell you specifically where it is in the guide, but i know it clearly states that all forms must be in english or french. perhaps the checklist will also have it posted.

jesusiloveu

Mar 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Newdelhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2010
Doc's Request.
june 2010
Med's Request
feb 6
Med's Done....
march 11
Passport Req..
feb 6
VISA ISSUED...
Dm on 13 oct,got visa on October 24,2013
LANDED..........
December 5,2013
rhcohen2014 said:
no, you can not sponsor your nephew through family class sponsorship. he will need to qualify to immigrate on his own, either as a student, worker or provincial nominee.
Thanks for quick response.but I could hear that so many people came to canada as their relatives sponsored them.

Ressie Timbang

Star Member
Apr 17, 2014
I'm in common law relationships and we have a 14th month old daughter and I filed my PR October 2014 was sent back and I applied for FSW under arrange employment... Sent back because some documents needs to be redone..well my main concern is I'm on 4 years cap..expiring in April 2015... I guess I'm running out of time under that category..but my employer wants me to stay in my job right now....but I'm thinking now can I apply different application now..? as a common law partner to a natural born citizen here in Canada..living together since I knew was pregnant with our daughter now... BUT I'm having second thought doing that because of background declaration with him ..he will be my principal sponsor now instead of my employer before.....we had a fight in 2012..ended up in court...now he was convicted of resisting arrest by the court..will that affect my application then..by him sponsoring me...? I have job offer with my employer right now..will that be a big factor too for my application....? Please help me to relieve all the stress I'm having right now...thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DanSlh said:
Your application must be in an official language of Canada. It will first be processed in Canada and then sent to a Canadian visa office abroad. If you send it in any other language, it will be returned.

jesusiloveu said:
Thanks for quick response.but I could hear that so many people came to canada as their relatives sponsored them.
You can't sponsor your nephew. See here for the list of who you can sponsor http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp#who_can

jefferson_18

Jan 8, 2015
Hey guys! I have been looking at some of the requirements, but there are some things that are harder to find out then others. Me and my Fiancé are planning to get married this summer. I am a Canadian Citizen, and she is an American citizen. Ultimately we are going to try and live in Canada. We would love to have two ceremonies. One being in Canada, and the other being in the States. Can you come in to Canada, then marry, and leave to have a reception in the US? or vice versa, but ultimately residing in Canada, and sponsoring her to live in Canada.

I was also what the most Honest way and which visa to come into Canada before being married but to get married? and does it matter how long after you enter Canada to get Married, because i know that in the states it is considered risky to Marry anything before 60 days of visiting.

As of Dec 22, 2015, spouses are eligible to work. What are the qualifications, and what are the chances of getting the eligibility to work are?
I was also wondering if both parties apply for residency at the same time. So if She would come to Canada, and i sponsor her to become a PR. Then could i apply for residency in the US at the same time as her application to become a Canadian PR?

If anyone has any idea of how to help or to point in the right direction, that would be awesome!

msbozick

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 12, 2014
AOR Received.
August 7, 2014
Med's Request
Sept. 28, 2015
Med's Done....
October 7/8, 2015
Interview........
AIP: Sept. 28, 2015-- interview waived DM: Oct. 16, 2015
LANDED..........
Oct. 28 2015
chelseahotte said:
Hi there!

Super silly to ask because I know it's on the website -
but I figured I'd ask from people who have actually have done this before.
I really don't want to mess up and forget some vital piece of paperwork I need.
I'm from the United States of America, and my husband is Canadian.
We've been together for six years in March, and we've been married for a little over a year.

What paperwork would he need to fill out to sponsor me?
And what paperwork do I need to do for it as well?
Can anyone list the exact name/numbers of the documents?
Please & thank you! c:
It's not silly, it can be super confusing!

This is the link for the application you want as a US Citizen.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

I know it says "living outside canada" but you CAN apply if you're living in Canada right now and like Ponga said, it's WAY quicker for an American to go that route. You're looking at 6 to 8 months processing time but you cannot work while the application is in progress. It may seem like a long time but in 6-8 months you will be a PR! Applying Inland will take more than 16 months to land as a PR even though now some people can work during the process.

They recommend applying outland because it's so much faster. I am also an American and I wish I had someone tell me I could apply outland before I started the process but c'est la vie!

This forum is also here to help if you need it :)
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/inland-applications-2014-t179207.4275.html

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
jefferson_18 said:
Hey guys! I have been looking at some of the requirements, but there are some things that are harder to find out then others. Me and my Fiancé are planning to get married this summer. I am a Canadian Citizen, and she is an American citizen. Ultimately we are going to try and live in Canada. We would love to have two ceremonies. One being in Canada, and the other being in the States. Can you come in to Canada, then marry, and leave to have a reception in the US? or vice versa, but ultimately residing in Canada, and sponsoring her to live in Canada.

I was also what the most Honest way and which visa to come into Canada before being married but to get married? and does it matter how long after you enter Canada to get Married, because i know that in the states it is considered risky to Marry anything before 60 days of visiting.

As of Dec 22, 2015, spouses are eligible to work. What are the qualifications, and what are the chances of getting the eligibility to work are?
I was also wondering if both parties apply for residency at the same time. So if She would come to Canada, and i sponsor her to become a PR. Then could i apply for residency in the US at the same time as her application to become a Canadian PR?

If anyone has any idea of how to help or to point in the right direction, that would be awesome!
Go and read the first post on page 1 of this thread as I think you are a bit confused over the processes (which is understandable). Although the timelines for PR approval are not accurate it will give you an overview of the process.

US citizens do not need a visa to enter Canada. You enter as a visitor and most people are able to stay for 6 months at a time. Any longer you have to apply for an extension.

The work permit you are talking about is for inland applications only. This is where you and your spouse would be living in Canda for the duration of the PR process. It is not recommended for US citizens as if you apply outland you can have PR within 3-7 months, processed through Ottawa. Inland application take 2+ years and it is risky to leave Canada during that time as if your spouse was refused entry her application would be cancelled.

You can apply outland but still be living in Canada and your spouse can come and go between US and Canada.

I dont know about applying for US PR but what I do know is that when you apply for PR in Canada one of the stipulations is that you intend to reside in Canada once your PR is issued. I don't know whether applying for US PR would cause you some problems in this respect and it may be interpreted by an officer that you are not intending to reside in Canada when your spouse gets PR. Maybe others will have more experience of this and can give some advice.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
jefferson_18 said:
We would love to have two ceremonies. One being in Canada, and the other being in the States. Can you come in to Canada, then marry, and leave to have a reception in the US? or vice versa, but ultimately residing in Canada, and sponsoring her to live in Canada.
yes, of course. neither government poses restrictions for how citizens and visitors choose to get married and celebrate with family (Assuming no laws are broken). there is nothing wrong with this. guests would enter as visitors. it has nothing to do with applying for PR, except for the fact it makes the couple eligible for spousal sponsorship. many people have 2 events, 1 in each country. we had a ceremony in the states and a reception in canada. US citizens are visa expempt from canada and vice versa, so everyone can just enter with their passports and enjoy the event.

jefferson_18 said:
there is no rule. i don't know what you mean about the US considering it "risky" to marry before 60 days of visiting. perhaps that means when the people haven't actually met in person? again, neither of you need a visa to enter eachother's country. you are both visa exempt. you simply enter as a visitor with your passport. if border agents ask your plans, you can tell them truthfully, but it's not going to cause them to deny you entry because you want to get married or have a party in their country. there is nothing illegal or "dishonest" about going to canada or the us as a visitor to get married or have a wedding reception.

jefferson_18 said:
as your wife is a us citizen, she really really really will not benefit from applying inland, which is the only way to be eligible for the new work permit. please don't let the dangling carrot fool you. take a look at the ottawa spreadsheet in my signature below. it will prove that us citizens who apply from outside of canada are approved in 6 months or less. currently july 2014 applicants are getting approved. a person can apply from OUTSIDE of canada even if they are IN Canada as a worker, visitor or student. do not be fooled and apply inland, it is taking 2 years for people to see total approval. US applicatons are processed in ottawa, not LA or NY. NY doesn't process family class pr anymore, and the only applications that transfer to LA are the ones requiring an interview. a large majority of US applicaitons are waived an interview, so that is also not a reason to apply inland. APPLY OUTLAND!!!!

Icn_bin_CAD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Nomination.....
17-10-2014
File Transfer...
24-12-2014
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-06-2015
Dear Formuties

I have a question , i will be very great full in case you can help.

I am a divorcee who got remarried 4 years before.I got legally divorced and the custody of my son was given to my wife.I no longer pay any money to him and do not visit him. In the custody agreement i agreed that i will not claim the custody of the child in future as well.

I applied for FSW and provided my divorce decree only which contains my divorce and mentioning about the son but i forgot to attach the whole court proceeding document which says about the other things like custody and all.

After getting PER, after few months i got an email regarding medicals.
This email demands the medical to be done for the child , also requiring me to send the custody document along with his birth certificate and new form refilled regarding the additional family with the childs name in it.

I have no intentions to include my son in my application and i cannot even provide a birthcertificate and so i mailed NDVO about this with all the court proceedings and saying i cant consider my son in my family since i have no legal custody.

The big question is what can be the outcome?
Have you been through some case similar to mine?

Please suggest
Looking forward in anticipation

Icn_bin_CAD

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2014
Nomination.....
17-10-2014
File Transfer...
24-12-2014
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
02-04-2015
Passport Req..
10-06-2015
Dear Senior Members please advise

Icn_bin_CAD said:
Dear Formuties

I have a question , i will be very great full in case you can help.

I am a divorcee who got remarried 4 years before.I got legally divorced and the custody of my son was given to my wife.I no longer pay any money to him and do not visit him. In the custody agreement i agreed that i will not claim the custody of the child in future as well.

I applied for FSW and provided my divorce decree only which contains my divorce and mentioning about the son but i forgot to attach the whole court proceeding document which says about the other things like custody and all.

After getting PER, after few months i got an email regarding medicals.
This email demands the medical to be done for the child , also requiring me to send the custody document along with his birth certificate and new form refilled regarding the additional family with the childs name in it.

I have no intentions to include my son in my application and i cannot even provide a birthcertificate and so i mailed NDVO about this with all the court proceedings and saying i cant consider my son in my family since i have no legal custody.

The big question is what can be the outcome?
Have you been through some case similar to mine?

Please suggest
Looking forward in anticipation

Jab

Jan 6, 2015
Hi Leon, my husband sponsor me to Canada and as at the time he was submitting my application I was pregnant but I have given birth now. The embassy sent as a mail to inform as to either advise them if our child is eligible for citizenship or pay to sponsor the child. Please how do we go about this since my husband is a citizen? We have applied for prove of citizenship for our son but it has not been process yet. Can anyone get me Case processing centre Mississauga Number please. Thank You