+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Romy.r

Dec 18, 2014
Hi!
I'm new in this forum and I was hoping someone could help me!
I'm from Chile and right now I'm in Canada with a visitor visa visiting my boyfriend, who is a Canadian citizen. We recently got engaged and we are planning in getting married in a couple of weeks and then we are going to apply to the spousal sponsorship. We are almost ready with all the forms but I have some doubts in case I want to change my last name after I get married. Would I have to change my passport for a new one with my married name before I send my application? Would it matter if I change my last name but I keep my passport with my maiden name?
I'm very confused with this!! If I don't change my last name now, wouldn't be more complicated to do it later after I get an approval of permanent resident?

I would be very grateful if you could help me with any information you know about this! thank you in advance!!

Romy.

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
Romy.r said:
Hi!
I'm new in this forum and I was hoping someone could help me!
I'm from Chile and right now I'm in Canada with a visitor visa visiting my boyfriend, who is a Canadian citizen. We recently got engaged and we are planning in getting married in a couple of weeks and then we are going to apply to the spousal sponsorship. We are almost ready with all the forms but I have some doubts in case I want to change my last name after I get married. Would I have to change my passport for a new one with my married name before I send my application? Would it matter if I change my last name but I keep my passport with my maiden name?
I'm very confused with this!! If I don't change my last name now, wouldn't be more complicated to do it later after I get an approval of permanent resident?

I would be very grateful if you could help me with any information you know about this! thank you in advance!!

Romy.
There is no requirement or need to change your last name in any documents. Of course you are free to change after if you are keen in changing I suggest you wait till everything is done cause it can be a hassle to change all your documents

deedee33

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Romania
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/QB/Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2014
AOR Received.
5 Mar 2015
File Transfer...
11 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
17 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
31 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
TRV 26 May 2015, PR 14 AUG 2015
LANDED..........
15 AUG 2015 (flag pole landing)
I wanted to take my husband's name, but exactly for these reasons I didn't, because it would have created a more mess in everything. Yet, in the app forms I saw some fields where you could write your maiden name, so I guess they expect people to change the name after the marriage.

In your case, if you want to change the name, definitely you have to make a new passport with your actual name before applying. Anyway you must change the ID and passport after you get married and change name, even if you don't emigrate somewhere. (at least in my country)

But it doesn't take so long to make a new passport, meanwhile you can do upfront medicals, check again the documents, proofs and so on. This is only my opinion, but I don't see how you can continue using a passport with a name that is not you anymore.

It takes time to put everything together, after the wedding you'll have pictures, you must write on each of them who is everyone, the date etc, so you could use that time for this until you get your new passport.

good luck!

EBUENCONS

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
18-09-2013
Med's Done....
17-7-2013
Interview........
hope not anymore
Passport Req..
13-05-2014
LANDED..........
hopefully this july
Hi guys ,congrats to all got DM!!! in my case i dont have any updates yet nor remedical,my medical already expired last july and they havent sent me an email that i have to take my medical again,its already been my 14 or 15th month now of waiting after my ppr last MAY i havent heard anything from the immigration,even my gcms doesnt gives us any update it just shows its for close review as of november.why is it taking so long i just dont understand... by the way were under conjugal same sex sponsorship i dont know if that matters,but theres another applicant here that im following which is TEAMGO same with our application and also a Sept 2013 applicant and has already an update on their application their app already went to decision made.im so happy for them but also sad for us,i know we dont need to compare our applications becuase its a case to case basis but i hope the immigration will be fair on processing all our applications.our MP is not that too helpful,her last inquiry to the immigration was last november and she told us that it should be done by january so i hope we will hear some goodnews this january,its really hard to be far away from our loved ones,hoping this will be over soon.goodluck to all of us and have a happy holidays.

Tunczyk

Dec 17, 2014
Kamloops, British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-10-2015
Hi everyone,

I have all my documents for PR pretty much lined up and ready to be sent. I am taking the outland route, while staying in Canada with my husband. I have few little questions that I hope someone on the forum could help me with?
1) I want to apply outland through Warsaw VO. Inital application must go to Ontario. Nowhere on those IMM forms do I find a place to specify VO that I want to apply through. So I guess my nationality (Polish) is going to decide where they forward my application? Not current residence address (in Canada)?
2) I obtained police certificate in March and September, both of which are no longer valid. Can I still send them right now with my application and a letter explaining that due to the small time frame of validity of police certificates, I will send a new one (either upon request OR after sponsorship approval)

wahmad4

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Tunczyk said:
Hi everyone,

I have all my documents for PR pretty much lined up and ready to be sent. I am taking the outland route, while staying in Canada with my husband. I have few little questions that I hope someone on the forum could help me with?
1) I want to apply outland through Warsaw VO. Inital application must go to Ontario. Nowhere on those IMM forms do I find a place to specify VO that I want to apply through. So I guess my nationality (Polish) is going to decide where they forward my application? Not current residence address (in Canada)?
2) I obtained police certificate in March and September, both of which are no longer valid. Can I still send them right now with my application and a letter explaining that due to the small time frame of validity of police certificates, I will send a new one (either upon request OR after sponsorship approval)
yes your nationality will decide where your application will be sent to process. I'm pretty sure it's upto them to choose the office which usually is the same as your nationality.
You can send your current police certificate or not send any at all. Either way probably explaination letter would do the justice. It's just this way your wait time is a bit longer as they will request police certificate later on & you will have to obtain one then mail it to them-hence that adds up to the wait time.
Hope that helps.
Good luck:)

sumanvikramraj

Dec 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th June 2014
Doc's Request.
29th September 2014 pcc and landing fees which was submitted in advance
Med's Request
1st med on 31st July 2013 remedical done on 10th December 2014
Med's Done....
Remedical on 10th Dec ECAS update same day as In Process
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
awaited
LANDED..........
Booked flight on 20th of April Aircanada Del-London-Edmonton anyone plans to fly on same date please get in touch with me
Hi everyone i am an applicant for spouse visa Canada from New Delhi India. My husband submitted my application on 9th June at Mississauga since then the latest update was i was requested to do re medical which i did on 11th Dec now it shows online as IN PROCESS since 8th December. Hoping to hear form them but reading most of the post i guess now it will only happen after January.

MapleMountie

Dec 15, 2014
Hey everyone,

My spouse and I have been married for 2 years now (anniversary this month!) and we would like to start the spousal sponsorship process. We would like some tips from you to make it go smoother. I am living with her in Canada since November last year, but I've come in and out for a few hours a couple of times. Most recently in May, because my wife's family is Native they don't ask us many things at the border and my passport hasn't been stamped in over a year (is that normal?). So we were wondering if she sends her application first. In-land or out-land application? How do i go about filling these out? Lawyer, no lawyer? My wife has a steady job and has been maintaining us financially. I am a chef so I occasionally go into a couple of restaurants we know to stage and keep my skills sharp (no money is paid to me), because of this a few of these owners have expressed that they would be interested in hiring me once my papers are settled. I was reading there's a new implementation on Spousal Sponsorship that lets you get a TWV, I would like to know how to go about this as well.

Thanks for the help!
MapleMountie

(ALSO: I have an american passport.)

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
MapleMountie said:
Hey everyone,

My spouse and I have been married for 2 years now (anniversary this month!) and we would like to start the spousal sponsorship process. We would like some tips from you to make it go smoother. I am living with her in Canada since November last year, but I've come in and out for a few hours a couple of times. Most recently in May, because my wife's family is Native they don't ask us many things at the border and my passport hasn't been stamped in over a year (is that normal?). So we were wondering if she sends her application first. In-land or out-land application? How do i go about filling these out? Lawyer, no lawyer? My wife has a steady job and has been maintaining us financially. I am a chef so I occasionally go into a couple of restaurants we know to stage and keep my skills sharp (no money is paid to me), because of this a few of these owners have expressed that they would be interested in hiring me once my papers are settled. I was reading there's a new implementation on Spousal Sponsorship that lets you get a TWV, I would like to know how to go about this as well.

Thanks for the help!
MapleMountie

Outland is faster for Americans, you can request a work permit simultaneously with your inland application but it will likely take longer for you to get the work permit than it will for your outland application to be completed. No lawyer is necessary unless you've got very particular problems (like a criminal background), just pay very close attention to the instructions (and ask questions here if you have doubts). Use the most up-to-date forms, double-check that they are the most up-to-date before you send. Start with getting the FBI clearance (because this will take the longest - up to 12 weeks now, I believe) and get it directly from the FBI rather than a "channeler." Send a complete application with medicals done and all fees paid up front (even though you have the option to pay the right of permanent residency fee later, it will cause a delay when they ask you for it if you choose to pay later). The basic way to keep things moving smoothly is to send a complete and accurate application with no blanks or mistakes and no reason for CIC to contact. That won't always work, but usually it does. Don't worry too much about the finances since your spouse has a job.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MapleMountie said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the help!
MapleMountie

Be very careful, as this is a slippery slope! Even though you are not being paid, it could still be a potential problem if CIC were to find out about that.
You could be performing tasks that a Canadian would have been paid to do!

Don't lie about it if you are asked, but don't offer to disclose that information!

There has been no official announcement from CIC regarding the change to Inland applicants being issued OWP with an AOR (instead of having to wait for AIP), yet.

deedee33

Star Member
Nov 26, 2014
Romania
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga/QB/Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2014
AOR Received.
5 Mar 2015
File Transfer...
11 Mar 2015
Med's Done....
17 Nov 2014
Passport Req..
31 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
TRV 26 May 2015, PR 14 AUG 2015
LANDED..........
15 AUG 2015 (flag pole landing)
@Tunczyk the latest version of IMM0008 doesn't have anymore the field where you could wrote the VO, so no need for that one. Regarding the police certificate, if you send the expired one(s) they will ask you for a valid one anyway, this could mean delay in processing your file.. but if you cannot take one asap (I understand you are in Canada now) and you have the entire app ready, maybe send the old one and attach a paper with explanation. Regardless, I think they will ask you for a new one, but hopefully I am wrong :-X good luck!

Tunczyk

Dec 17, 2014
Kamloops, British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-05-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-10-2015
@wahmad4 and @deedee33 , thank you for your help! I will send an explanation letter then, and provide police certificate upon request.

So in Missisuaga they are only going to assess eligibility to sponsor, that is, look at my husband's files?
And after getting sponsorship approval, they send a file to Warsaw to assess me (principal applicant) and genuinity of our relationship?
If so, I would request my consulate in Vancouver to send me my police certificate (takes up to a month) just after getting a message back for Ontario saying my sponsor has been approved by the powers that be.

Thank you so much for all your help. :)

khimmy

Dec 19, 2014
hi, Im the sponsored spouse and Im almost done with my application forms but there are some instructions and questions, I dont understand that much , can you help me guys? pleasee:(

Like this one ,"You must provide the following details about each of your family members,whether they will accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada."

We dont have children and my husband is Canadian citizen, so I will not fill out this form , Am I right?

ziggy30

Nov 5, 2014
I'm currently out of status in canada and submitted and outland application.does anyone know if I will have a hard time due to the fact that I'm out of status ??

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ziggy30 said:
I'm currently out of status in canada and submitted and outland application.does anyone know if I will have a hard time due to the fact that I'm out of status ??
No, but it will be interesting to know how you make out. It has always been speculated that applying Outland without status could be an issue (for some members here), but AFAIK, there's been nobody to confirm this with.

Personally, I think at the very least your application may be routed to your home country's visa office (instead of being processed in Ottawa), which could certainly delay the process.

Good luck and please do keep us informed!