+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
I guess sending in the J of P one with a note that the offical one will follow will not suffice?

Canuckluvus said:
You need to provide a copy of the one issued by the province. The one you got from the J of P can't be used.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
KaZRa said:
I guess sending in the J of P one with a note that the offical one will follow will not suffice?
I'm not sure. You might run the risk of delaying the processing of the application by submitting an incomplete application. They could send it back as incomplete or put on hold while waiting for you to submit the correct copy. The provinces don't take that long issuing the official marriage certificate so... It's up to you but when we applied we waited for our official certificate to come in the mail. The one the justice of the peace gives you is a decorative thing.

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Ok, sounds right. Thanks :)

Canuckluvus said:
I'm not sure. You might run the risk of delaying the processing of the application by submitting an incomplete application. They could send it back as incomplete or put on hold while waiting for you to submit the correct copy. The provinces don't take that long issuing the official marriage certificate so... It's up to you but when we applied we waited for our official certificate to come in the mail. The one the justice of the peace gives you is a decorative thing.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
KaZRa said:
He has no admissibility issues, but there is no guarantee they will keep extending his stay until he gets PR, correct? The only reason we wanted to go inland was so the OWP would give him implied status and we wanted to make sure he didn't have to leave. He is from the US and has given up his rental etc so going back to the US would not be a good option. Given this do you still think Outland is the best option? I would be worried they would not extend his stay!
There are no guarantees of anything when it comes to immigration. It will take him as long to get that work permit (11 months) than it would to get PR via Outland and there is no guarantee they will permit him to remain in Canada for those 11 months either.

I've never heard of a US Citizen living with their Canadian spouse being refused a visitor status extension without some extenuating circumstances (e.g., real admissibility issues like criminality).

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
computergeek said:
There are no guarantees of anything when it comes to immigration. It will take him as long to get that work permit (11 months) than it would to get PR via Outland and there is no guarantee they will permit him to remain in Canada for those 11 months either.

I've never heard of a US Citizen living with their Canadian spouse being refused a visitor status extension without some extenuating circumstances (e.g., real admissibility issues like criminality).
my wife is American and we applied Outland last March. She has been living here as a visitor for a year in October. We just kept getting extensions. The last one we got in October was approved for 14 months. We now have decision made and are waiting for the COPR form in the mail. My friend applied inland a week after we did and she is still waiting for sponsership approval. Outland worked better for us!

canadaeh1234

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 9, 2012
Med's Request
December 5, 2012
Med's Done....
December 10,2012
abscott said:
Hi canadaeh1234...

You can choose from Fedex or DHL, just make sure you have the tracking number of what you will send. It takes 3 to 5 days only with them...

My husband used to send me documents thru Fedex and I used to send him documents thru DHL from here in Manila because DHL is cheaper than Fedex.

Hope this helps... :) :) :)

abscott
Okay thanks, was it PR card that he sent? or just documents? Okay thanks

torvic

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2013
AOR Received.
04-01-2014
File Transfer...
10-01-2014
Passport Req..
17-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-03-2014
Hi everyone,

My partner and I are putting together our application and are a little stumped on one part. We're applying outland (both living together in Canada) and I'm an Australian citizen. On #7 of my document checklist (or #22 on form IMM5491), there is mention of providing birth certificates of each of my family members. Is this necessary if I am the only one in my family coming to Canada? And do I even need to include mine in the application? I was initially under the impression that it was only necessary if I was sponsoring a child and had to prove that he/she is mine, or whatever.

In that same section, they also ask to provide proof the common law relationship, while devoting an entire section to it further down in the application (#25 on form IMM5491). If I don't have to include a birth certificate, should I even bother including anything in that section?

Thanks

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
torvic said:
My partner and I are putting together our application and are a little stumped on one part. We're applying outland (both living together in Canada) and I'm an Australian citizen. On #7 of my document checklist (or #22 on form IMM5491), there is mention of providing birth certificates of each of my family members. Is this necessary if I am the only one in my family coming to Canada? And do I even need to include mine in the application? I was initially under the impression that it was only necessary if I was sponsoring a child and had to prove that he/she is mine, or whatever.
Right. They only need birth certificates for people directly part of the application (you, and any dependent children, whether or not they are accompanying you.) If you are planning on becoming a PR of Canada, you need to include a copy of your birth certificate.

torvic said:
In that same section, they also ask to provide proof the common law relationship, while devoting an entire section to it further down in the application (#25 on form IMM5491). If I don't have to include a birth certificate, should I even bother including anything in that section?
I'm not sure I follow this thinking. Not including a birth certificate would likely lead to them returning your application as incomplete. But your ability to prove the genuine nature of your common-law relationship is not optional - you have to convince a visa officer that you have a genuine relationship. Omitting that information will probably not lead to an initial return, but instead will add months onto the processing time because the VO will have to ask you for such evidence.

Best to include it all up front.

Ryabusa

Nov 27, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Visa exempt means the applicant doesn't need a special travel visa to come to Canada. They can just show up in Canada, and get a 6-month visitor status on the spot. Usually it's a very easy process for a visa-exempt applicant to extend their visitor status.

Visa-exempt visa offices are also usually very quick (Ottawa, London, Australia etc). So in many cases outland applicants get their full PR, quicker than it takes to get just stage 1 of inland.

i.e. For US applicants outland PR apps are processed through CPP-Ottawa. Current times people are seeing today is around 8-10 months, and usually US residents can visit Canada very easily. So it really makes zero sense for any US applicants to apply inland these days, unless they think they will have some admissibility issues visiting Canada during the process.
Rob,

Where are you getting the 8-10 months number? I was going to do an inland PR app for my American wife because on the CIC website, the visa office in Los Angeles (closest to us) is showing 26 months + the 1 month sponsor review, and the inland app is "only" 22 months total. And if for some reason LA doesn't have to get involved, Ottawa is still showing 15 months, not 8-10.

Am I missing something?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ryabusa said:
Rob,

Where are you getting the 8-10 months number? I was going to do an inland PR app for my American wife because on the CIC website, the visa office in Los Angeles (closest to us) is showing 26 months + the 1 month sponsor review, and the inland app is "only" 22 months total. And if for some reason LA doesn't have to get involved, Ottawa is still showing 15 months, not 8-10.

Am I missing something?
The outland processing times represent how long it took CIC to complete processing for 80% of applications. This means that most people get through faster than the posted time and some get through significantly faster. When my husband's outland application was processed, the Mississauga waiting time was 1 month and the officially posted Buffalo waiting time was 8 or 9 months. He got through in four months total.

Wexton

Jul 27, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The American processing time for PR is 22 months in New York and 26 months in Los Angeles. During the processing of my PR application, would I be able to stay or visit Canada?

I've tried to come over and visit for 6 months at a time and was declined and only allowed to stay 1 1/2 months. If the Canadian immigration knows that I've applied would that help me for staying longer?

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
You are applying to live in Canada? Married to a Canadian?

Wexton said:
The American processing time for PR is 22 months in New York and 26 months in Los Angeles. During the processing of my PR application, would I be able to stay or visit Canada?

I've tried to come over and visit for 6 months at a time and was declined and only allowed to stay 1 1/2 months. If the Canadian immigration knows that I've applied would that help me for staying longer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wexton said:

You can't live in Canada - but you can certainly try to visit.

Whether you are allowed into Canada and for how long is at the discretion of the immigration officer you encounter at the border.

Wexton

Jul 27, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KaZRa said:
You are applying to live in Canada? Married to a Canadian?
I am engaged to a Canadian citizen. I'd like to apply for a family sponsorship for permanent residence. My fiance is pregnant with my child and we wanted to wait to get married after the child was born.