Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
MrD said:
Hello Everyone

Me and my fiance are about to get married pretty soon! i been in canada since 2012 as a student and my visa expires january 5, we know each other for over 1 year and a half and been together for 1 year and 2 days. In our anniversary i proposed to her and she said Yes so we want to get married before i leave the country but we scared that we are gonna be denied due to income so

Are there any income requirements for her to become a sponsor? She makes minimal wage here in Vancouver and been working for like almost 3 months.

Do you have to pay something or have money in order to sponsor like a big amount or money or something? We dont want her to be denied to become a sponsor.

Can it be a very small wedding? like just her family and a couple of my friends in her backyard? we dont have money to do a big one

I am from Mexico and also i got a General business certificate here in vancouver.

Also how long would it take to process the whole thing? according to her family it will take 5 years or more..

i know i need a medical check and i am planning to have it here before i leave.

Thanks.
OK. I know most of this information was given to you before, but I will give it to you again here; to the best of my knowledge.

1. She does NOT need to have a lot of money. There are, as far as I know, no income requirements to sponsor a spouse to come to Canada. Her current job will be fine. If/when she is approved she will have to sign an undertaking for 3 years. You will have to pay sponsorship fee $75, application fee $475 and then the RPRF (right of permanent residence fee) $490. The total by the end will be $1040 for you to land as an immigrant in Canada. You will also have the miscellaneous expenses for your medical/x-rays and police records and such. It is not thousands of dollars, usually, but be prepared to probably use up $2000 total give or take. On the plus side, technically you only have to pay the RPRF once it is asked for so you can initially just pay the $595 to get the paperwork going and save up for the rest.

2. Yes, it can be a small wedding and it can be however you both choose to have it. It is, after all, your wedding and nobody elses'. Just make sure when you file your application you have all the supporting documents of your relationship. How it developed, that you have been living together for over a year and finally married, so on and so forth.

3. It should NOT take 5 years or more to finish this sponsorship. Depending on how you file your application (Inland or Outland) will determine your times.

On a side note. I see you have a student visa. If you wanted to stay in Canada while you wait for this application to process (if you file inland) you could try and file for an extension/change of status record before your current student visa expires. It is not a guarantee that you will be approved, but it is a guarantee you will not be approved if you don't try.

Hope that helps to alleviate some of the fears your soon to be 'brother in law' has erroneously put in your head.

Good luck!

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Alurra71 said:
OK. I know most of this information was given to you before, but I will give it to you again here; to the best of my knowledge.

1. She does NOT need to have a lot of money. There are, as far as I know, no income requirements to sponsor a spouse to come to Canada. Her current job will be fine. If/when she is approved she will have to sign an undertaking for 3 years. You will have to pay sponsorship fee $75, application fee $475 and then the RPRF (right of permanent residence fee) $490. The total by the end will be $1040 for you to land as an immigrant in Canada. You will also have the miscellaneous expenses for your medical/x-rays and police records and such. It is not thousands of dollars, usually, but be prepared to probably use up $2000 total give or take. On the plus side, technically you only have to pay the RPRF once it is asked for so you can initially just pay the $595 to get the paperwork going and save up for the rest.

2. Yes, it can be a small wedding and it can be however you both choose to have it. It is, after all, your wedding and nobody elses'. Just make sure when you file your application you have all the supporting documents of your relationship. How it developed, that you have been living together for over a year and finally married, so on and so forth.

3. It should NOT take 5 years or more to finish this sponsorship. Depending on how you file your application (Inland or Outland) will determine your times.

On a side note. I see you have a student visa. If you wanted to stay in Canada while you wait for this application to process (if you file inland) you could try and file for an extension/change of status record before your current student visa expires. It is not a guarantee that you will be approved, but it is a guarantee you will not be approved if you don't try.

Hope that helps to alleviate some of the fears your soon to be 'brother in law' has erroneously put in your head.

Good luck!
Thanks for your asnwer! another question..

What it is going to be the first payment? i thought it was just $75

She just told me she owes like 200 to her medical. Would that count as an excuse to not get approved as a sponsor?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
MrD said:
Thanks for your asnwer! another question..

What it is going to be the first payment? i thought it was just $75

She just told me she owes like 200 to her medical. Would that count as an excuse to not get approved as a sponsor?
No, the $75 and the $475 must be paid up front. Those two applications must be sent together. They will be put into the same package and sent to the proper office, depending on if you choose inland or outland. Both the sponsor and applicant fee MUST be paid at this time. The only fee you may 'waive' for now is the RPRF, which MUST be paid before you can land. If you do not pay that up front, you will hear from your VO requesting you pay this fee now when the time is proper.

I do not think that her having a debt is going to affect her ability to sponsor. So long as she is not receiving social assistance she should be fine to file for sponsorship. There are very few reasons for a sponsor to be denied. I don't think a minor debt such as that even comes close to qualifying!

Nov 12, 2013
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Are you working? did you win the lottery or have a lot of savings? CIC wants to make sure that you will not require social assistance. In your sponsorship application you will state your employment situation.
sorry I wasn't clear on that! Haha yes I work 6 days a week, full time, and I also have a part time job. I'm just uneasy about the income requirement if i need to be making certain amount annually to qualify because i have a daughter.

MrD

Nov 2, 2013
Alurra71 said:
No, the $75 and the $475 must be paid up front. Those two applications must be sent together. They will be put into the same package and sent to the proper office, depending on if you choose inland or outland. Both the sponsor and applicant fee MUST be paid at this time. The only fee you may 'waive' for now is the RPRF, which MUST be paid before you can land. If you do not pay that up front, you will hear from your VO requesting you pay this fee now when the time is proper.

I do not think that her having a debt is going to affect her ability to sponsor. So long as she is not receiving social assistance she should be fine to file for sponsorship. There are very few reasons for a sponsor to be denied. I don't think a minor debt such as that even comes close to qualifying!
everything seems more clear now, last thing: On the part where you have to pay it says Family Class: spousal,common law and Spouse and Common-Law Partner In Canada Class, Which one should we pick?? we are doing the outland.

Sorry if i sound stupid.. i just dont want to mess this up.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
MrD said:
everything seems more clear now, last thing: On the part where you have to pay it says Family Class: spousal,common law and Spouse and Common-Law Partner In Canada Class, Which one should we pick?? we are doing the outland.

Sorry if i sound stupid.. i just dont want to mess this up.
Spousal/Common Law. The only time you would opt for the Spouse and Common-Law IN Canada would be if you were filing and Inland application.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Alurra71 said:
Spousal/Common Law. The only time you would opt for the Spouse and Common-Law IN Canada would be if you were filing and Inland application.
This decision is usually predicated upon a number of factors: how long processing is for your home country's office, if you desire to stay in Canada during the application process, etc. Note that you may apply via the outland forms even if you are living in Canada. However, you must maintain status to do so (work, study or visitor). Inland applicants can be sponsored without status in Canada, but the time to process Inland is posted at 19 months. So if the visa office for your home country is much faster (e.g., Paris, which posts 9 months for 80% of applications and 5 months for 50%) then outland is the best choice, even if you are in Canada.

If on the other hand your visa office would be Islamabad then you should leverage the fact you are in Canada and use the in-Canada class application.

Note: CIC will consider your skills and earning abilities as part of the application process, not just that of the sponsor. The concern for CIC is to make sure you won't need social assistance and that can include your earning potential as well as your sponsor.

ladybugclh

Oct 13, 2013
I have some curious questions...more so to put my husbands mind at ease.....as far as passport request will they ask for that if they are going to deny you permanent residence....and question 2...according to the gcms notes his file started to be in process oct 31....any idea as to a general time frame as to when it will become decision made....thanks for everyone's help.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
ladybugclh said:
I have some curious questions...more so to put my husbands mind at ease.....as far as passport request will they ask for that if they are going to deny you permanent residence....and question 2...according to the gcms notes his file started to be in process oct 31....any idea as to a general time frame as to when it will become decision made....thanks for everyone's help.
You don't say which VO is processing your file. Generally, they only request passports if they are nearing the end and are going to approve you. However, some VOs request the passport regardless, and usually quite early in the process. The 2 I can think of that usually do that are Manila and New Delhi. If your VO is not one of those, then it's a good sign.
As for a time frame, that also depends on your visa office. Hopefully in the next month or few months.

darshan patel

Star Member
Mar 10, 2011
melbourne
Category........
Visa Office......
sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-oct-2010
Doc's Request.
again on 24-may-2011
AOR Received.
22-march-2011
File Transfer...
in process on 31-oct-2011
Med's Request
17-08-2012
Med's Done....
4-09-2012
Interview........
not yet
computergeek said:
I cannot speak to Australian immigration, but Canadian immigration does not care once you have become a permanent resident.

Yes.

You can sponsor as soon as you are married. Note that because you are a permanent resident, you must be residing in Canada throughout the process. Normal processing time is ~14 months. You may visit, but you cannot live outside Canada or your sponsorship will be refused.

In addition, it is quite likely that CIC will carefully scrutinize another application, so you will need to make sure to clearly document the legitimate nature of your second marriage. Your spouse will be only granted conditional PR (so that she must remain in the relationship with you for two years after becoming a permanent resident) and you will be responsible for her for three years after she lands.

In general they would need grounds to do so. A refusal may also be appealed before the IAD. But as long as it is a legitimate marriage it won't be refused.
thank you very much for your help...

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Here's a question...

How strict are they on subjects such as dates for previous jobs and dates You have lived at other address's etc?
I have put down round dates which I know are correct give or take a week or two,but am not fully sure of the exact dates,but I have previously applied for temporary working visas for canada where I think I provided this information before...do you think it will be a problem if the dates for things such as previous employment and living at address's do not one hundred percent match up to information I provided on previous visa applications?like I said,it would be different by much,probably like a week or two at most,I just can't remember the dates I would have put down a couple of years ago....

Thanks all!

ladybugclh

Oct 13, 2013
MilesAway said:
You don't say which VO is processing your file. Generally, they only request passports if they are nearing the end and are going to approve you. However, some VOs request the passport regardless, and usually quite early in the process. The 2 I can think of that usually do that are Manila and New Delhi. If your VO is not one of those, then it's a good sign.
As for a time frame, that also depends on your visa office. Hopefully in the next month or few months.
Sorry about that..kind of losing my mind over the whole process...our visa office is Ottawa....just can't wait for it to all be over

keepthefaith

Oct 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
05-11-2013 remedical 03-12-2014
Interview........
01-06-2012
Passport Req..
11-02-2014
Good day Seniors. I have a very big problem. CIC requested for NBI certification from USA for my spouse but how can he have one will infact he only have C1d visa for seaman not a landbase job. All workdays spent only in the ship. Pleaseeeeee help. Anyone with same situation as our please please help. :mad:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KarlR said:
Here's a question...

How strict are they on subjects such as dates for previous jobs and dates You have lived at other address's etc?
I have put down round dates which I know are correct give or take a week or two,but am not fully sure of the exact dates,but I have previously applied for temporary working visas for canada where I think I provided this information before...do you think it will be a problem if the dates for things such as previous employment and living at address's do not one hundred percent match up to information I provided on previous visa applications?like I said,it would be different by much,probably like a week or two at most,I just can't remember the dates I would have put down a couple of years ago....

Thanks all!
You should be fine as long as the dates are pretty close and the jobs you mention match. A week or two here and there certainly isn't a big deal. The main thing is not to leave any gaps.

KarlR

Star Member
Oct 18, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Ah cool!!good to know its just me over worrying again and that I'm not gonna get a letter in the mail from them with "DATES DO NOT MATCH - DEPORTATION ANDP PERMANENT BAN!!!!!" ;D

Thanks for the info!!! :)