+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another problem with trying to sponsor another person too soon after having been sponsored yourself is that immigration can take a 2nd look at your first marriage and if they find that it was a marriage of convenience, they can revoke your PR. This happened to some woman a couple of years ago.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Betina said:
I don't understand how anyone can think that this rule means anything else than: if your application to sponsor your partner is received by CIC after March 2, 2012 and you have been sponsored in the 5 years prior to the date logged in at CIC, the current application will be rejected. It's extremely clear from every point of view: semantics, logic etc.
Actually there is a way to understand it.

The table title says:

Scenarios for previously sponsored spouses/partners

And then proceeds to show:

Date of Sponsorship Application Eligibility to sponsor

Sponsorship application received prior to March 2, 2012 Not subject to the 5-year sponsorship bar regardless of the date on which
the sponsor became a permanent resident

Sponsorship application received on or following March 2, 2012 Subject to the 5-year sponsorship bar

At some point I believed that Date of Sponsorship Application was in reference to the sponsorship application of previously sponsored spouses/partners because that is what the table title says. Inferring from that...

...my demise as a logical thinker. My most heartfelt apology, you all were right!

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-11-2012, repeat x-ray for extension 23-01-2014 (extension granted)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
cempjwi said:

The table title says:

Sponsorship application received prior to March 2, 2012 Not subject to the 5-year sponsorship bar regardless of the date on which

Sponsorship application received on or following March 2, 2012 Subject to the 5-year sponsorship bar

At some point I believed that Date of Sponsorship Application was in reference to the sponsorship application of previously sponsored spouses/partners because that is what the table title says. Inferring from that...

...my demise as a logical thinker. My most heartfelt apology, you all were right!
No, there is not :) I was making a point in favor of the opinions that you were fighting. It's good that you finally saw the light ;D

NewDad

Jan 1, 2013
Leon said:
Another problem with trying to sponsor another person too soon after having been sponsored yourself is that immigration can take a 2nd look at your first marriage and if they find that it was a marriage of convenience, they can revoke your PR. This happened to some woman a couple of years ago.
And rightly so. Isn't that what all the bureaucracy is about in the first place? Trying to stop people from coming to Canada as a spouse, dumping the one and going back to get another one?

KaZRa

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Ok, we're getting married mid Nov., he is from US, I am Canadian. His return ticket is for end of Jan. We will be sending in the in-land application by the end of Nov. or early Dec. Should he apply for an extension of his visit or will we hear back from someone regarding the application before his ticket return date. We're just not sure if we should sit and wait or ask for the extension anyway. Thanks.

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
cempjwi said:

The table title says:

The key words are, "Sponsorship Application". The person who was previously sponsored - by someone else - was the applicant then, not the sponsor.

Words will get ya every time ;D

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
Hi Guys,

Reading your conversation, it popped a question into my head.
IF I happen to get the TD (which I still believe I won't btw because I am "old") but anyways, so I get the TD , travel to Canada, apply for my new PR card..... Then what status will I have? I mean will I be a NEW PR or will I be a PR for 20 years only with a brand new card.
I am asking this, because as you know, I will have to sponsor right away, or at least in the first couple of months, will I be eligible? Or I will have to wait 5 years as well?
Oh Oh and the other question is that in case I would get the TD and could renew my PR card, and the 5 years is not applicable for me, can I even start the citizenship procedure? ::)

I do know well, that I wont get the TD but it feels good to think positive sometimes... :-[ :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hungary said:
Hi Guys,

Reading your conversation, it popped a question into my head.
IF I happen to get the TD (which I still believe I won't btw because I am "old") but anyways, so I get the TD , travel to Canada, apply for my new PR card..... Then what status will I have? I mean will I be a NEW PR or will I be a PR for 20 years only with a brand new card.
I am asking this, because as you know, I will have to sponsor right away, or at least in the first couple of months, will I be eligible? Or I will have to wait 5 years as well?
Oh Oh and the other question is that in case I would get the TD and could renew my PR card, and the 5 years is not applicable for me, can I even start the citizenship procedure? ::)

I do know well, that I wont get the TD but it feels good to think positive sometimes... :-[ :)
You will be a PR from the date you originally "landed". Don't even think about citizenship until three years after your return. A world of hassle awaits you if you "jump the gun" on that one. :)

rani2728

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3 Jan 2013
Doc's Request.
4 April 2013
File Transfer...
5 Feb 2013
Med's Request
23 Jan 2013
Interview........
21 Jan 2014
Passport Req..
09 March 2013
VISA ISSUED...
14 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
26 feb 2014
PLS PLS HELP..I M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND M A JAN APPLICANT AND HAD MISSED MAILS SENT TO ME IN APRIL...MY HUSBAND IS DIVORCED AND THE MAIL SAYS
( SEND - Complete divorce petition/statement of claim for your sponsor's first marriage.
[The above must be received at our office by: 18May2013]

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN "Complete divorce petition/statement of claim for your sponsor's first marriage"

WE HAD ATTACHED ONE PAGE DIV CERTIFICATE..
AND
SINCE I FOUND THE MAIL TODAY CAN I SEND FOR ABOVE DATE HAS ALREADY GONE AND FILE MUST HAVE BEEN CLOSED...

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
rani2728 said:
PLS PLS HELP..I M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND M A JAN APPLICANT AND HAD MISSED MAILS SENT TO ME IN APRIL...MY HUSBAND IS DIVORCED AND THE MAIL SAYS
( SEND - Complete divorce petition/statement of claim for your sponsor's first marriage.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN "Complete divorce petition/statement of claim for your sponsor's first marriage"

AND
SINCE I FOUND THE MAIL TODAY CAN I SEND FOR ABOVE DATE HAS ALREADY GONE AND FILE MUST HAVE BEEN CLOSED...
The requested paperwork may be country specific in detail but it sounds as though they want a copy of the or iginal divorce filing from when he or his ex-spouse actually initiated the divorce. Personally, I believe that this is unreasonable and leads to serious privacy concerns for someone (the ex-spouse) who is not part of the process. The legal divorce certificate should be enough for CIC as it would not contain the personal details and/or reasons for the original divorce.

Anyway, I suspect that it's passed the possible submission time anyway and you should contact CIC to find out the state of your application.

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-11-2012, repeat x-ray for extension 23-01-2014 (extension granted)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
rani2728 said:

AND
Your file is not necessarily closed. Doesn't the email have, somewhere near the end, something like "Please note that if we do not receive these documents and/or information until........... your application will be examined on the basis of the material available"?

rani2728

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3 Jan 2013
Doc's Request.
4 April 2013
File Transfer...
5 Feb 2013
Med's Request
23 Jan 2013
Interview........
21 Jan 2014
Passport Req..
09 March 2013
VISA ISSUED...
14 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
26 feb 2014
zardoz said:
The requested paperwork may be country specific in detail but it sounds as though they want a copy of the or iginal divorce filing from when he or his ex-spouse actually initiated the divorce. Personally, I believe that this is unreasonable and leads to serious privacy concerns for someone (the ex-spouse) who is not part of the process. The legal divorce certificate should be enough for CIC as it would not contain the personal details and/or reasons for the original divorce.

Anyway, I suspect that it's passed the possible submission time anyway and you should contact CIC to find out the state of your application.
[he is in canada and he still gives 1800$ to his x../quote]

rani2728

Star Member
Sep 5, 2013
Ahmedabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3 Jan 2013
Doc's Request.
4 April 2013
File Transfer...
5 Feb 2013
Med's Request
23 Jan 2013
Interview........
21 Jan 2014
Passport Req..
09 March 2013
VISA ISSUED...
14 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
26 feb 2014
Betina said:
Your file is not necessarily closed. Doesn't the email have, somewhere near the end, something like "Please note that if we do not receive these documents and/or information until........... your application will be examined on the basis of the material available"?
[it says [The above must be received at our office by: 18May2013]
Failure to submit them within that time period could result in the refusal of your application. Please quote our complete file number on your correspondence and address your correspondence to the High Commission at the address indicated below.
Failure to submit them within that time period could result in the refusal of your application. Please quote our complete file number on your

today when i checked using my uci no it shows application recd..]

Hungary

Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2013
File Transfer...
2013-09-20
Med's Done....
28-05-2013
Passport Req..
Exempt
zardoz said:
You will be a PR from the date you originally "landed". Don't even think about citizenship until three years after your return. A world of hassle awaits you if you "jump the gun" on that one. :)
:D :D :D i thought so ;) ;D ;D ;D

Kat911s

Feb 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
June 19, 2013 (Paris)
Med's Done....
March 21, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt - from Belgium
VISA ISSUED...
Approved for PR: Sept 11, 2013
computergeek said:
E-cas is there to create the illusion that they are providing you with information. In my experience, the only way to know what is happening with your application is to request your electronic case notes via the ATIP process.
Hi there; I just checked my application online and it said:
We received your application for permanent residence on May 1, 2013.
We started processing your application on August 28, 2013.
Medical results have been received.

All payments have been made in advance and there should be no other issues (my spouse is Belgian), so does the average processing time (9 months in Paris Office) mean from when they start 'processing' his file, or does this mean if everything's in order; we can have a decision made very soon...? :)