+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Reza flame

May 27, 2013
Re: Spousal sponsorship I need advice for inland application

Hi there,
I am being sponsored by my wife under in Canada class act spousal and common law application, our first stage of approval has come through now the CIC is asking me to provide them with a passport from my country of origin, so that they continue processing of my application, my former status was a refugee claimant, and I never possessed a valid Iranian passport (which is where i'm from) so I wrote a letter to CIC explained to them that since Iran doesn't have diplomats or an embassy in Canada anymore, and my former status was a refugee I am unable to get a passport from my country of origin, after 7 months they sent me the same letter again asking me to provide them with a passport, as if I had sent that letter to now body!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways I have contacted the Iranian office in Washington and asked them if I could get an Iranian passport and they said to me NO, I asked them to provide me with e written statement as to why not or just saying that they reject my request, so I can show the Immigration Canada, they said they will never under any circumstances issue such a letter especially if it is for Canadian official use, so I called the CIC again and told them that, and they said apply for a Canadian travel document, I did that and passport Canada rejected my application saying that I don't have a permanent status in Canada and I must have a permanent status in Canada so I can get a travel document, I told them that this document is request by immigration Canada, they said; it is not our problem, ........ so I am totally stuck in this middle just dangling in the air not knowing what to do, on one hand immigration Canada won't continue the processing of my application unless I have a passport or a travel document on the other hand passport Canada doesn't give me a travel document saying I have to have an immigration landing first, and there just is no WAY for me to get an Iranian passport, I'm really frazzled I don't know what to do I mean I came to Canada in 2007 and got married in 2011 but still I am without a strait answer, any advice??? what do you think I should do.....
just so you know I have tried explaining the situation to the immigration a million times ( didn't work)
explaining to passport Canada 1000 times (it didn't work)
anything else I can do?? has anyone ever had a similar situation and if so what did you guys do? please help me!
apparently writing letters don't work any other suggestion?

Yani26

Star Member
Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila,Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 13, 2014
Med's Done....
March 13, 2014
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Have you been a PR longer than you have known your boyfriend?
no im a new landed immigrant.,been here for 3mos :mad:

sidon17

Star Member
May 23, 2013
=======
-First of all when it comes to Immigration this is the best knowledge source........

Just a quick Question..
I m eligible to apply under CEC..i haven't started the process yet..i m planning to get married soon.
My concern is waiting time ..Should i apply for my PR under CEC as single or Married i would like to see my wife here in canada ASAP..
Should i hold my application get married then ask her to apply for visitor ,OPW but what are the chance ..
or i should apply PR for both of us together..in that case she will have to wait till the PR ..or she can get a visa while PR application in process..

Thanks in advance..Please help..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sidon17 said:
=======
-First of all when it comes to Immigration this is the best knowledge source........

Just a quick Question..
I m eligible to apply under CEC..i haven't started the process yet..i m planning to get married soon.
My concern is waiting time ..Should i apply for my PR under CEC as single or Married i would like to see my wife here in canada ASAP..
Should i hold my application get married then ask her to apply for visitor ,OPW but what are the chance ..
or i should apply PR for both of us together..in that case she will have to wait till the PR ..or she can get a visa while PR application in process..

Thanks in advance..Please help..
Try posting your question to the Canadian Experience Class section of this forum:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/canadian-experience-class-b52.0/

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Re: Spousal sponsorship I need advice for inland application

Reza flame said:
Hi there,
I am being sponsored by my wife under in Canada class act spousal and common law application, our first stage of approval has come through now the CIC is asking me to provide them with a passport from my country of origin, so that they continue processing of my application, my former status was a refugee claimant, and I never possessed a valid Iranian passport (which is where i'm from) so I wrote a letter to CIC explained to them that since Iran doesn't have diplomats or an embassy in Canada anymore, and my former status was a refugee I am unable to get a passport from my country of origin, after 7 months they sent me the same letter again asking me to provide them with a passport, as if I had sent that letter to now body!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways I have contacted the Iranian office in Washington and asked them if I could get an Iranian passport and they said to me NO, I asked them to provide me with e written statement as to why not or just saying that they reject my request, so I can show the Immigration Canada, they said they will never under any circumstances issue such a letter especially if it is for Canadian official use, so I called the CIC again and told them that, and they said apply for a Canadian travel document, I did that and passport Canada rejected my application saying that I don't have a permanent status in Canada and I must have a permanent status in Canada so I can get a travel document, I told them that this document is request by immigration Canada, they said; it is not our problem, ........ so I am totally stuck in this middle just dangling in the air not knowing what to do, on one hand immigration Canada won't continue the processing of my application unless I have a passport or a travel document on the other hand passport Canada doesn't give me a travel document saying I have to have an immigration landing first, and there just is no WAY for me to get an Iranian passport, I'm really frazzled I don't know what to do I mean I came to Canada in 2007 and got married in 2011 but still I am without a strait answer, any advice??? what do you think I should do.....
just so you know I have tried explaining the situation to the immigration a million times ( didn't work)
explaining to passport Canada 1000 times (it didn't work)
anything else I can do?? has anyone ever had a similar situation and if so what did you guys do? please help me!
apparently writing letters don't work any other suggestion?
I've talked someone else through this before: you need to contact the Iranian Interests Section of the Embassy of Pakistan in Washington, D.C. (http://www.daftar.org/Far/default.asp?lang=far) They can assist you in obtaining a travel document or a passport, but be aware that it takes many months to obtain a passport from them at the present time.

It is a statutory requirement that you must have a travel document or a passport to land. If you are not able or willing to obtain one, your only option is to file an H&C application - or request that your existing application be converted to an H&C application. Only the H&C process can be used to waive this statutory requirement.

CBSA must obtain a travel document or passport for you if they wish to deport you, so someone knows how to do this in a case like yours - and my guess is they are doing it through the Iranian Interests department in Washington, D.C.

I hope this helps.

vikasbh23

Mar 20, 2011
Hi I am on work permit in canada and my wife has applied from UAE for open work permit.and its being two months no reply from embassy ...Any Idea how long it takes for spouse open work permit..Thanka

KB73 said:
Understanding the spousal sponsorship process is the first step. The next is having a lot of patience. Depending on where your file is being processed, it may require an awful lot of patience.

Buried in the immigration system's manual is an interesting paragraph which states:

"Processing Priorities

Applications for permanent residence from spouses, common law partners, conjugal partners and dependent children have the highest priority, along with children to be adopted. Other members of the family class follow. These are operational, not regulatory priorities. The department aims to process 80% of sponsorship and permanent resident applications of this priority group of spouses, common-law partners and conjugal partners, and dependant children within six months."

Meanwhile, on the Citizenship and Immigration website, you can find the actual processing times for spousal cases at visa offices abroad. Of the 44 offices that submitted information, only 6 offices met the 80%/6 month target. This includes cases which resulted in a refusal. According to the numbers, if you have fallen in love or entered into an arranged marriage in Kenya, you can expect to wait an average of 29 months for your application to be processed. In Abu Dhabi, you have a slightly shorter wait of 27 months.

When looking at these cold numbers, it would appear visa offices and the ministry are not aware of their own 80%/6 month policy. If they are, then they must be choosing to ignore it.

We have noticed that processing times are growing in this category. We have to ask ourselves – WHY? Why can Beijing process spousal cases in 4 months, and New Delhi in 6 months, while others take so much longer that it would be laughable - if it weren't so frustrating.

Unfortunately, the powers that be hold all the cards. It is they who decide the processing times, and it is they who decide if they want to honour those processing times. One thing you do have, however, is a voice and a vote. If you have sponsored a spouse and are awaiting a decision that is long overdue, write the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, or contact your local MP. With the election on May 2nd, they may be more inclined to listen to your complaint.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vikasbh23 said:
Hi I am on work permit in canada and my wife has applied from UAE for open work permit.and its being two months no reply from embassy ...Any Idea how long it takes for spouse open work permit..Thanka
Post your question to the Foreign Workers section of this forum.

Brunette

May 25, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
ANKARA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-04-2013 ----- in process 12-06-2013
Med's Done....
27-11-12
Passport Req..
16-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
28-08-2013
Hi guys,

Our application was received feb 27/13 and I was confirmed to be a sponsor April 8/13 so now the tougher part comes as we wait for his approval, I had my file completed by the help of a immigrant lawyer who was once an officer himself (hope that was a good thing). My VO office is in ANKARA

WISH US ALL A EASY AND PATIENT WAIT !

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Someone I know (a Canadian citizen) has just gotten married overseas and will soon be returning to Canada with his wife. They will be submitting the sponsorship/PR application (outland) as soon as they return. His wife has been to Canada before (on a study permit), and has a valid multiple-entry TRV. Her status in Canada will be 'visitor' while awaiting the outcome of the application. Our understanding is that six months is the usual maximum duration allowed for visitors, but this is not automatically granted, and the couple is concerned that because of their recent marriage, Canadian authorities might think she will over-stay, even though 'dual intent' is not supposed to be a reason to refuse someone. They are wondering what kinds of questions they should expect upon arriving in Canada. What documentation should they be prepared to show? The marriage certificate for sure, but what else--drafts of the yet-to-be-submitted sponsorship/PR forms? Proof of husband's ability to support his wife while she is here as a visitor? A return ticket? She would like to stay as long as possible as a visitor (ie six months) and then apply for an extension while still waiting for the PR, but would it be a better 'strategy' for her to show intention to stay in Canada for a shorter duration?

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
She shouldnt have a problem entering canada as a visitor even though she is married to a canadian. The immigration officer(passport control) at the boarder might ask them what their relationship is, (me and my husband were asked once or twice, the last time we entered canada they didnt question us) and ask her about the purpose of her visit and thats all. If they want to avoid this, they can always go to the passport control separately and when she is asked whats the purpose of her visit she can say to visit friends and family and for tourism. In both cases, it shouldnt be an issue as they havent applied for sponsorship yet (therefore he does not need to prove anything financial ways etc). This is from a personal experience point of view, you should wait for senior members of the forum to give you a more accurate advice.

Yelsew said:
Someone I know (a Canadian citizen) has just gotten married overseas and will soon be returning to Canada with his wife. They will be submitting the sponsorship/PR application (outland) as soon as they return. His wife has been to Canada before (on a study permit), and has a valid multiple-entry TRV. Her status in Canada will be 'visitor' while awaiting the outcome of the application. Our understanding is that six months is the usual maximum duration allowed for visitors, but this is not automatically granted, and the couple is concerned that because of their recent marriage, Canadian authorities might think she will over-stay, even though 'dual intent' is not supposed to be a reason to refuse someone. They are wondering what kinds of questions they should expect upon arriving in Canada. What documentation should they be prepared to show? The marriage certificate for sure, but what else--drafts of the yet-to-be-submitted sponsorship/PR forms? Proof of husband's ability to support his wife while she is here as a visitor? A return ticket? She would like to stay as long as possible as a visitor (ie six months) and then apply for an extension while still waiting for the PR, but would it be a better 'strategy' for her to show intention to stay in Canada for a shorter duration?

Mrs Selim

Mar 6, 2013
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-3-2013
Interview........
May 28 2013 denied
Passport Req..
May 5 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 12 2015
LANDED..........
May 31 2015
I had a lawyer helping me cost me money and my husband did not get visa in candian ambasy in cairo cause he is muslim and im older then him he was very racist towards my husband and many other people there had same expiriance...it does not mather if u have lawyer you have to satified the immigration officer and if he had good day..loll

chelseaviel

Dec 15, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 04, 2012
Doc's Request.
addt'l docs sent on Jan. 11 and recv'd by CEM on Jan. 14 2nd addt'l docs reqt'd on Feb 26,2013 sent on March 21 recv'd on March 22,2013
AOR Received.
July 31,2012
File Transfer...
Aug.13, 2012...in-process June 7, 2013...DM July 11, 2013
Med's Request
May 09, 2013 (remed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 31, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 03, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 19, 2013
LANDED..........
August 09, 2013
Anybody here knows an immigration lawyer from anjou, Montreal?

LibyaLove2012

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question I hope someone can answer .. I am Canadian marrying my Libya Fiance in November In Malta .. If I decide to go to Libya and live with him there and apply for him to come Back to Canada with me , how does that work .. If I have to give up my job to live there??? We would have a place to stay When we return .. but im just wodering how can I sponser him into Canada if When I get back I have to find employment .. They say you can apply while outside of Canada , but im confused to how that would work , Any insight would help Thanks

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
LibyaLove2012 said:
I have a question I hope someone can answer .. I am Canadian marrying my Libya Fiance in November In Malta .. If I decide to go to Libya and live with him there and apply for him to come Back to Canada with me , how does that work .. If I have to give up my job to live there??? We would have a place to stay When we return .. but im just wodering how can I sponser him into Canada if When I get back I have to find employment .. They say you can apply while outside of Canada , but im confused to how that would work , Any insight would help Thanks
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/libya

Not sure if I would want to live in Libya these days.

LibyaLove2012

Star Member
Mar 31, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I Know of the situation ... could you please give me some insight on how that would work . right now its only an option . but its a risk im willing to take , just need to know how sponsoring him in here from over there works . if I have to give up my job here to do so Tx